What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

trump freezes aid to Lebanon (1 Viewer)

And why are we giving them aid in the first place
To protect our national interests. Security and economically.

Thats not to say we should, nor that this is the most effective strategy to accomplish those aims, but that’s the rational.

One of the analysts the NYT cites is affiliated with CSIS, a militarist think tank funded by Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Exxon, Chevron.  Another is from an anti-Iran/pro-Israel think tank with strong ties to neoconservatives.  

National Security Adviser John Bolton—who had helped found UANI and was on its advisory board until he joined the Trump administration—was also quick to defend UANI. “Attempts by [the] Russian government to intimidate Ambassador Wallace and UANI are unacceptable,” he tweeted. “If President Putin is serious about stabilizing the Middle East, confronting terrorism and preventing a nuclear arms race in the region, he should stand with UANI and against Iran.”[8]

The close ties between UANI and the Trump administration notwithstanding, many observers were surprised at the strong and swift reaction of key figures in the U.S. government to what was a barely reported story, and a comparatively mild rebuke from Russia. One observer speculated that Bolton’s relationship with the group—and the fact that a closely connected group, the Counter-Extremism Project, had paid Bolton $165,000 from September 2015 until Bolton took his post as national security adviser in April 2018—combined with his and President Trump’s connection to prominent UANI funder and Republican mega-donor Sheldon Adelson“provide certain financial incentives for the national security advisor’s comments.”[9]

Then they turn to Elliot Abrams!  It’s like they’re not even trying to hide it anymore.  These national security types have been getting it wrong for a long time.  Yet they are granted credibility and prime real estate in the biggest papers in the world.  I just don’t get it.  I really think Bolton can get booked on Maddow if he plays his cards right.  

It's important to provide stability in the region so that A) ISIS does not become a worldwide terrorist threat, B) Russia does not take over the world, and C) the flow of oil does not get interrupted.
Ok, no one should ever complain about the National debit, this type of aid is expensive but I guess needed.

Ok, no one should ever complain about the National debit, this type of aid is expensive but I guess needed.
It’s not expensive at all. All of the foreign aid we give to every country on earth barely registers on our overall budget. 

Plus it’s pennies on the dollar. President Trump would like to shrink down our military commitment around the world. That’s a laudable goal; I just don’t happen to like the way he tries to go about it. The best way to make that happen to increase foreign aid, not reduce it. That being said I don’t know the details regarding Lebanon. 

One of the analysts the NYT cites is affiliated with CSIS, a militarist think tank
CSIS was a centrist think tank when I was in D.C. We used to have softball games against their staff. I remember being out right after 9/11 at Politiki and the guys from CSIS were drowning their sorrows. Deaf students from Gallaudet danced to rhythms in the floor. I played Radiohead. It was austere, weird, sad.

But CSIS - Center For Strategic and International Studies was hardly radical. They had a seat at the table even in Democratic administrations, which I guess you also hate. I can see you arguing that militarism is the default course of American foreign policy since WWII and it would be difficult to argue against that central premise other than saying that being a superpower comes with risks and the need for defense, and that our militarism pales in comparison to not only what was in the world but what would be if we were absent from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread