What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Thread: Jeter and Walker Get In. Everybody else gets a gift basket from Jeets (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
This year's veteran's committee focuses on the "modern era".  The ten candidates are:

Dwight Evans
Steve Garvey
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Marvin Miller
Thurman Munson
Dale Murphy
Dave Parker
Ted Simmons
Lou Whitaker

Electors get to vote for four.  I'd go for Miller, Whitaker, Simmons and John.

Last edited by a moderator:
First year eligibles

Bobby Abreu
    Josh Beckett
    Heath Bell
    Eric Chavez
    Adam Dunn
    Chone Figgins
    Rafael Furcal
    Jason Giambi
    Raul Ibanez
    Derek Jeter
    Paul Konerko
    Cliff Lee
    Carlos Pena
    Brad Penny
    J.J. Putz
    Brian Roberts
    Alfonso Soriano
    Jose Valverde

Returning candidates

Curt Schilling
Roger Clemens
Barry Bonds
Larry Walker
Omar Vizquel
Manny Ramirez
Jeff Kent
Scott Rolen
Billy Wagner
Todd Helton
Gary Sheffield
Andy Pettitte
Sammy Sosa
Andruw Jones

Of the Rooks I say Jeter is the only sure thing. Giambi a maybe but will likely get dinged for the roid Era(though he has some really impressive OPS+ seasons even in those pumped up years). Wasn't sure re Soriano so I checked out his numbers and his comps. All were bubble types so I guess he a Hall of Very Good guy. 

Vets that should definitely be in: Bonds, Clemens, Manny and probably Sheffield(hard to believe he didn't win an MVP, just a great hitter. His jerkyness will likely leave him hanging for a while). 

I remember when Brian Roberts was the fantasy MVP for the first half of 2005.  1.007 OPS with 15 HR and 18 SB from a middle round 2B.  He regressed in the second half but he kept me in the money that year.

Last time on the ballot for Larry Walker.  He only got around 55% of the vote last year, so he has a lot of ground to make up.  Edgar got a surge in his last year, but it looks like he was 70% in 2018, so he did not need to make up that much.

There's been some big classes the past few years, but I could see it just being Jeter this year.  I don't think voters' minds are going to change enough on Bonds and Clemens from last year to this year.

BBWAA Anthony Rieber of Newsday turned in his ballot with only Jeter's name on it.

What a maroon

Modern Era Committee voting

Ted Simmons 13
Marvin Miller 12
Dwight Evans 8
Dave Parker 7
Steve Garvey 6
Lou Whitaker 6
Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Thurman Munson, and Dale Murphy < 3 each

For absolutely no reason at all I'll just throw out the fact that these two are the only 2 I had not heard of :shrug:

The late Boston Globe writer Nick Cafardo wins the Spink Award

Ken Harrelson wins the Frick Award to keep him from coming out of retirement

HOF announcements tomorrow.

It appears that less than half of the ballots are now known which seems lower than previous years.

Jeter is a lock.  Larry Walker seems like he will get in this year, and probably Curt Schilling as well.

Bonds and Clemens are oh so close.  Both on their 8th years on the ballots, my feeling is that both will get in, but the voters will make them sweat until the 10th season before finally relenting and pushing them over the 75% threshold.

I would vote for Walker, Jeter, Schilling, Rolen.

That is all.

Jeter was a great player and obviously deserving, even though I think he’s a little overrated. 
That said, they need to start taking voting rights away from guys that do stuff like this. 

Not at all saying he should get in for many reasons (roids being the biggest), but I was surprised to see Giambi out after his first time on the ballot.

With numbers similar to Duke Snider or Andre Dawson and better than Baines and the like I thought he'd a least get more than 6 votes!  A guy with his numbers would have been a fringe guy and probably would have made it after the 4th or 5th try.  Poof gone.

I probably make a variation on this argument every year but when we spend more calories talking about the people who didn't get than celebrating the achievements of those who did, it's indicative that the process is broken.

Jeter was a great player and obviously deserving, even though I think he’s a little overrated. 
That said, they need to start taking voting rights away from guys that do stuff like this. 
Seriously, how long is this crap going to continue?  I'm not anything close to a Yankee fan and it's obvious.  Just like certain crappy umps, non important people to the game trying to make themselves more important. 

The Pro Football Hall of Fame welcomes twenty new members in the class of 2020.  I acknowledge football rosters are double the size of baseball's but still by those standards, there would be ten baseball inductees instead of the four we got.  The football selection happened without a lot of controversy, grandstanding sportswriters or PED allegations about players who were active in the 90s and early 2000s.

Users who are viewing this thread