What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What will Donald Trump’s relationship with the GOP be like once he’s out of the White House? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
This question occurred to me in the rally thread and I thought I’d pursue it. I’m not so much interested in what he will do personally; I want to know what his future influence will be on the Republican Party. Assuming he loses next year: 

Will he continue to hold rallies? 

Will he stay mostly silent like other Presidents or chime in all the time, or something in between? 

Will he attempt to endorse other candidates? Be a kingmaker? 

And perhaps most important of all, will the GOP listen to him? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve given up predictions when it comes to DJT. All logic and precedent is out the window. I’m out. 

Not a chance he'll keep silent. I'd go as far as to say he has a better chance of going to jail for blabbing national secrets after he's out of office. he'll probably also be the first president ever to lose his security clearance as soon as he steps out the door. 

Not a chance he'll keep silent. I'd go as far as to say he has a better chance of going to jail for blabbing national secrets after he's out of office. he'll probably also be the first president ever to lose his security clearance as soon as he steps out the door. 
Executive order #1.  I'd sign it immediately after the oath.

Don’t think they allow phones in jail so I doubt he’ll be tweeting. 

High point of his day will be when he gets to go out in the yard for lunch and watch basketball. 

US Politics - 2020 US Presidential Election (4)

US Presidential Election 2020 - Winning Party

1/1/209:58 PM

Winner

Democratic Party-125

Republican Party-105

Trick question. He'll never be out of the White House.

Republicans will soon claim that elections and term limits are unconstitutional.

And then, just before Trump's passing, they'll claim that being alive is a not requirement to remain President. They'll stuff and mount him in a MAGA hat sitting in the Oval Office for the rest of eternity, while the one dude keeps running the Twitter account.

I'm actually not joking. If Trump proposed this, I think Republican Senators would vote for it unanimously.

#### up traffic in Palm Beach County for the rest of his days with his constant travel.
Here's the good news GB....once out of office, the protocol changes significantly.  He'll have a detail, but nothing like you see today.  Keep your chin up!!

If he loses in 2020, he will immediately start(keep) campaigning and raising money for 2024 while boasting about how great he is and how bad everyone else is. I doubt he ends up in jail (resign/pardon during lame duck?) 

Here's the good news GB....once out of office, the protocol changes significantly.  He'll have a detail, but nothing like you see today.  Keep your chin up!!
There's also the fact that planes into and out of PBIA will now have to navigate a no fly space directly east of the airport, which by the way, Trump has fought them on for years. He hates the planes taking off over Mar a Lago, now they can't do that anymore.

I assume the 1st year will be spent attempting to remain politically relevant, at least in terms of news coverage.  It will be interesting, should he only be a one term president, to see how the relationship between he and the Republican Party evolves.  I would guesstimate a greater than 50% chance that he continues his “Never Trumper” purge and fractures the party far worse than the Tea Party ever did

There's also the fact that planes into and out of PBIA will now have to navigate a no fly space directly east of the airport, which by the way, Trump has fought them on for years. He hates the planes taking off over Mar a Lago, now they can't do that anymore.
I'm not sure that is correct....I mean, it is for now, but I don't think that will be permanent.  I'll need to ask my buddy that question.

While I appreciate all of the responses, they’re for the most part not really what I was looking for. It’s easy to make jokes about jail and stuff, but I was more interested in what Trump’s relationship with the GOP is going to be moving forward once he’s no longer President. Will his brand become a pariah? Will he be an influential kingmaker? Will Republicans continue Trump’s nativist and isolationist memes, or will they return to the internationalism of Reagan and the Bushes? I changed the title to reflect this question. 

While I appreciate all of the responses, they’re for the most part not really what I was looking for. It’s easy to make jokes about jail and stuff, but I was more interested in what Trump’s relationship with the GOP is going to be moving forward once he’s no longer President. Will his brand become a pariah? Will he be an influential kingmaker? Will Republicans continue Trump’s nativist and isolationist memes, or will they return to the internationalism of Reagan and the Bushes? I changed the title to reflect this question. 
Then why not just ask that question to begin with?  Now, I am left with a * in a thread I couldn't care less about.  Hopefully he continues to infest the extreme and the more logical/traditional Republicans get the hint and trim the fat allowing a period of healing to get back on track, but I am not holding my breath.

Then why not just ask that question to begin with?  Now, I am left with a * in a thread I couldn't care less about.  Hopefully he continues to infest the extreme and the more logical/traditional Republicans get the hint and trim the fat allowing a period of healing to get back on track, but I am not holding my breath.
I thought I did but I screwed up by asking a more general question. I apologize for that. 

Useful dupe to roll out at events to froth up a small, but vocal, portion of their base.

Probably only able to "cash in" on it for a couple/three years though. Cholesterol is coming up on the outside off of turn 4.

Persona non grata if he doesn't start Trump TV
Or this.

Grace Under Pressure said:
They’ll drop him like a hot potato and pretend it all never happened. They would do this today if they could.
And vice versa.  Unless there are people who actually think Trump is a Republican.

And vice versa.  Unless there are people who actually think Trump is a Republican.
That’s an excellent example of what Republicans will be saying to try and distance themselves from this mess: “Trump was never a real republican”. 

Problem is is the whole GOP leadership and majority of the republican base (95% I think is what Trump likes to claim) have supported, made excuses for, turned a blind eye to, and/or lied for him from day 0.  Hard to walk away from that. 

I say this as a former Republican who can’t see myself voting for that party ever again. 

That’s an excellent example of what Republicans will be saying to try and distance themselves from this mess: “Trump was never a real republican”. 

Problem is is the whole GOP leadership and majority of the republican base (95% I think is what Trump likes to claim) have supported, made excuses for, turned a blind eye to, and/or lied for him from day 0.  Hard to walk away from that. 

I say this as a former Republican who can’t see myself voting for that party ever again. 
This is exactly right.  And the completely depressing part of the whole position is it makes it even worse than if they just admitted they liked what he was doing and went along.  With this position they are now considered cowards who put party over country  for X reason even if it meant putting up with Trump.

Users who are viewing this thread