What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Name Players Maybe Worth Not Rostering - Was: Stud Name, But Got to Go! (1 Viewer)

tackle for loss

Footballguy
We talk about who we need to scoop, but who are some big names that need to go. Who are people who you dont think should be cut, but are not of any use?

I have D. Adams and K. Allen, debating which one to cut for Singletary. Not asking advice but by Wednesday one will be cut and my team wont be any worse off for it and may improve.  We are in a fantasy world where sometimes names keep us from making otherwise easy choices. 

Who are the big names we should cut bait with?

Joe Edit - changed title name

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither of those guys. Try trading them. You’d be surprised how much people covet underperforming WR1s from panicky owners. 
This is my point, you still think he has value? He doesnt,. He is worthless, 0 value. None. 

Week 4 - 5/48/0  (9.8 points)

Week 5 - 4/18/0 (5.8 points)

Week 6 - 2/33/0 (5.3 points)

Week 7 - 4/61/0 (10.10 points)

Week 8 - 7/53/0 (12.30 points)

Week 9 - 3/40/0 (7 points)

6 weeks is not just a anomaly, its almost half a season. 

He shouldnt be on anyones roster, the people in my league know that and thats why I couldnt trade him for anything. last week, you think his value went up after this past game? 

Adams I can argue can be traded before he has another stinker, but Allen is literal useless as a fantasy asset. 

This is my point, you still think he has value? He doesnt,. He is worthless, 0 value. None. 

Week 4 - 5/58/0

Week 5 - 4/18/0

Week 6 - 2/33/0

Week 7 - 4/61/0

Week 8 - 7/53/0

Week 9 - 3/40/0

He shouldnt be on anyones roster, the people in my league know that and thats why I couldnt trade him for anything. last week, you think his value went up after this past game? 

Adams I can argue can be traded before he has another stinker, but Allen is literal useless as a fantasy asset. 
Or, maybe they have a new offensive scheme that took some time to work out. 

his big game it was all clicking for the packers. then he got turf toe.

was it Adams fault that Rodgers mentally misseD the flight to SD?

And why’d you leave out Week 2’s 7/106 line? Seems relevant. 

your premise is not based in reality & this topic should be on the assistant coach forum.

And no offense, but If you drop Adams now that he’s finally 100% then this hobby probably isn’t for you. 

Or, maybe they have a new offensive scheme that took some time to work out. 

his big game it was all clicking for the packers. then he got turf toe.

was it Adams fault that Rodgers mentally misseD the flight to SD?

your premise is not based in reality & this topic should be on the assistant coach forum.

And no offense, but If you drop Adams now that he’s finally 100% then this hobby probably isn’t for you. 
I dont get point mulligans for working out a new scheme. 

Turf toe hurts value, which is my point. 

Adams having a QB that cant hit him does hurt his value, yes.

I was not asking for advice, you could have said someone you wanted to cut instead of responding to me and about allen directly. 

And no offense, if you are keeping players with 0 TDs because of their name maybe this hobby isnt for you.

Exactly. That’s what separates the sharks from the guppies. 

:shark:  
That shark trade for players with 0 TDs combined in the last 6 games. 

you seem to want to insult me because of a topic I started in which I suggest cutting players, which is the title of the thread.

I dont get point mulligans for working out a new scheme. 

Turf toe hurts value, which is my point. 

and he’s past the injury, which makes that point irrelevant. 

Adams having a QB that cant hit him does hurt his value, yes.
ARod had a bad game. 1 game isn’t a season. We have far more evidence that ARod can hit him. 

I was not asking for advice, you could have said someone you wanted to cut instead of responding to me and about allen directly. 
Clearly you were asking for advice since you listed your own dilemma. 

That shark trade for players with 0 TDs combined in the last 6 games. 

you seem to want to insult me because of a topic I started in which I suggest cutting players, which is the title of the thread.
I’m not insulting you at all. 

I’m disagreeing with the premise that either Keenan Allen or Davonte Adams are drops. 

I’m saying that action would be a panic move. 

was not asking for advice, you could have said someone you wanted to cut instead of responding to me and about allen directly.
Asking for advice is exactly what you're doing.

The real question is if your team is so stacked you can cut someone like d Adams why do you need to ask this advice in the first place.

And no offense, if you are keeping players with 0 TDs because of their name maybe this hobby isnt for you.
Lol - nice edit...

I’m keeping a player who has 1 game of 7/105, and another of 10/180

I’m keeping the clear WR1 for a team with arguably one of the best QBs in the NFL.

I’m keeping him because now that he’s finally 100%, he’s capable of being a top 5 WR ROS.

you're welcome to drop him. It’s your team.  :shrug:

Lol - nice edit...

I’m keeping a player who has 1 game of 7/105, and another of 10/180

I’m keeping the clear WR1 for a team with arguably one of the best QBs in the NFL.

I’m keeping him because now that he’s finally 100%, he’s capable of being a top 5 WR ROS.

you're welcome to drop him. It’s your team.  :shrug:
Am I welcome, you seem really upset by it? 

Also, in this entire thread of you arguing with me and saying I am asking for advice and being mad I want to cut a player on my team, you never once answered the actual question.

Who are people who you dont think should be cut, but are not of any use? Its in the first line. 

Asking for advice is exactly what you're doing.

The real question is if your team is so stacked you can cut someone like d Adams why do you need to ask this advice in the first place.

We talk about who we need to scoop, but who are some big names that need to go. Who are people who you dont think should be cut, but are not of any use?

I have D. Adams and K. Allen, debating which one to cut for Singletary. Not asking advice but by Wednesday one will be cut and my team wont be any worse off for it and may improve.  We are in a fantasy world where sometimes names keep us from making otherwise easy choices. 

Where did I ask for advice, especially when I asked twice a real question. 

I’m dropping Mixon like he drops girls with cheap shots. Actually I can’t believe the sorry human being ended up on my team, but buh-bye.

I’m dropping Mixon like he drops girls with cheap shots. Actually I can’t believe the sorry human being ended up on my team, but buh-bye.
I seen him cut just today in line for waivers to run. Good move as I think someone will spend their bucks on him. But he is really not worthy of being rostered. 

I see replies like this and can't understand them.  Yeah Mixon has been a flex player instead of the potential rb1 he was drafted as, but what league is so shallow that you can drop any starting rb?  Guys are starting ty johnson in some of my 12 team leagues, you can't tell me Mixon is worse than that.

Singletary is on the waiver wire for a reason.  He may be a great addition down the road, but currently doesn't have half the ceiling K. Allen/D. Adams do.  They are simply telling you, your logic is failing you.  Based on your logic, I hope AJ Green is sitting on waivers in your league.

You ride with these perenniel big name players, because they could make a difference in the playoffs.  Draft deep and you don't have to make these ridiculous decisions to cut a top 30 pick for a rookie with no reputation.   

Week 4 - 5/48/0  (9.8 points)

Week 5 - 4/18/0 (5.8 points)

Week 6 - 2/33/0 (5.3 points)

Week 7 - 4/61/0 (10.10 points)

Week 8 - 7/53/0 (12.30 points)

Week 9 - 3/40/0 (7 points)

🤷‍♂️ Maybe you can drop the #12 wr. My leagues are deep enough that I'm regretting dropping Pascal. 

Yes, Allen has had a rough patch. Maybe that continues. But I sure can't drop him except in a really small league. 

I see replies like this and can't understand them.  Yeah Mixon has been a flex player instead of the potential rb1 he was drafted as, but what league is so shallow that you can drop any starting rb?  Guys are starting ty johnson in some of my 12 team leagues, you can't tell me Mixon is worse than that.
The league I seen him cut in was a 10 man, to be clear. 

Singletary is on the waiver wire for a reason.  He may be a great addition down the road, but currently doesn't have half the ceiling K. Allen/D. Adams do.  They are simply telling you, your logic is failing you.  Based on your logic, I hope AJ Green is sitting on waivers in your league.
I’m surprised Singletary is even on the wire in a league over 8 teams. 

the Davante Adams topic actually sheds some light on this topic & the mindset behind dropping a top 3 WR who’s struggled with injury/new scheme this year.

I agree with you that Adams & Allen aren’t droppable. Adams has shown his upside. If people choose to ignore it, that’s on them.

Allen also has a long track record - and his main knock coming into this season was volatility. That was factored into his ADP and the reason he was a 2.07-2.11 pick and not a 1.10-2.02 pick.  

You ride with these perenniel big name players, because they could make a difference in the playoffs.  Draft deep and you don't have to make these ridiculous decisions to cut a top 30 pick for a rookie with no reputation.   
Spot on, though I’m pretty high on Singletary ROS. Not high enough to drop Adams or Allen for them.

Historically I’ve observed that those are the kind of moves that hand championships to other teams. Surely there’s a back of the roster player to drop for Singletary instead 

If we compile this list, what are we going to do with it exactly?
In my discussions people are always afraid to cut some people for fear of ridicule or thinking its not right because his name is such and such, a lot of the con to the pro we see in the dissenting comments, its why you see polls on twitter and the like asking for advice. Basically, it gives you a forum to know others think its ok to cut names. 

I’m surprised Singletary is even on the wire in a league over 8 teams. 

the Davante Adams topic actually sheds some light on this topic & the mindset behind dropping a top 3 WR who’s struggled with injury/new scheme this year.

I agree with you that Adams & Allen aren’t droppable. Adams has shown his upside. If people choose to ignore it, that’s on them.

Allen also has a long track record - and his main knock coming into this season was volatility. That was factored into his ADP and the reason he was a 2.07-2.11 pick and not a 1.10-2.02 pick.  

Spot on, though I’m pretty high on Singletary ROS. Not high enough to drop Adams or Allen for them.

Historically I’ve observed that those are the kind of moves that hand championships to other teams. Surely there’s a back of the roster player to drop for Singletary instead 
The always start your studs logic is a fair logic, but it goes to the point of when are these guys no longer studs? I can argue Allen isnt and Mixon isnt, Adams is more of a debate. But those are the only 3 names in this thread so far to discuss. Points determine your stud status. 

Yep I drafted him 3.7 in a 12 team league (super flex), he's my wr4. If you drafted him to be your 1, the disappointment is understandable.

The always start your studs logic is a fair logic, but it goes to the point of when are these guys no longer studs? I can argue Allen isnt and Mixon isnt, Adams is more of a debate. But those are the only 3 names in this thread so far to discuss. Points determine your stud status. 
respectfully; I wholeheartedly disagree with your premise here. 

Adams is a stud because of his track record of being a stud. He was a top PPR WR last year, he’s had games of 7/105 & 10/180 this year, and he’s now back to 100%

if you’d told me you traded Adams while he was hurt, ok, maybe I disagree but at least you got something & I’d understand the rationale behind having a healthy player over a hurt player despite selling low. 

but outright dropping a player who could easily be a top 5 WR down the stretch isn’t logic I can get behind.  

We will have to agree to disagree on both that, and your definition of a “stud” that seems to be based on a single season sample size without big picture perspective. 

there are a lot of moving parts to football - many factors determine why a top player hasn’t been as successful. In Adams case it was first scheme, and later injury. Since the team seems to be buying into the scheme & now Adams is past the injury, I don’t see why anyone would drop a potential league-winning asset. 

especially since if anything his value just took a leap since he proved he’s healthy. You could trade hm instead. 

if you drop him, he’ll be claimed. Any league over 6 teams Adams is in starting lineups weekly ROS.

Yep I drafted him 3.7 in a 12 team league (super flex), he's my wr4. If you drafted him to be your 1, the disappointment is understandable.
He’s a perfect WR2-3 or flex player. You’d have to draft him as a WR2, but he’s the kinda dude you wait for a multi-game slump & buy a little low on them plug in at flex. 

i have a feeling the chargers are about to go on a little hot streak. Allen is due for positive correction, and he’s any given Sunday away from a 12/160/3 line. His floor is what knocked me out of the playoffs last year when he bumped his hip on that non-TD drop and left the game - and I lost by 6 points. 

and yes I’m still bitter about that, thanks for asking. :lol:  

I'm not trying to make this an attack on you or what you believe; nor am I trying to change your mind.  I think the hangup is "stud vs. droppable player".

You could have been much more tactful in how you approached the topic.  Is Keenan Allen or Adams an every week start?  My opinion, yes.  However, depending on your depth at the position... you could make the argument for benching Keenan Allen.  At the end of the day, I am in a PPR league and Adams is going to get targets.  His QB is upper echelon.  The point opportunity is too glaring for me to cut bait for a rookie RB, with everything in the world to prove.

In dynasty, you never look to cut an underperforming top tier player... you try to find someone willing to trade.  Likely, you will not receive top value for the player but you can get something for him.

I actually think this is a good topic.  I think you would have had a better result had you not included the names of the 2 players you were considering dropping though.  Because instantly people are going to tell you you shouldn't do that, and then you're going to get defensive, and it turns into a "should I drop Adams" thread.  I think saying "it's not about my team... but here's my team" has moved the discussion away from your intended point here.

It is interesting though how sometimes we do hold onto players because of their name value or where they were drafted.  Not talking specifically about those two players, but I think the idea that we become attached to their name is a good one.  I think I kept Baker Mayfield far too long this year because of the draft capital I spent on him and because of his 'ceiling'.  Looking back it was an easy drop, but it still felt weird putting him out in waiver land.

I really hope Keenan isn't one of these examples of guys who are done, and can turn it around because I also just traded for him a couple weeks ago.  His name and ceiling definitely made him attractive for me to 'buy', but hoping it doesn't bite me in the ###.

Don't you have someone else that you can cut for Singletary?  And, to be honest, I am surprised Singletary is on your WW.

Agree with Hot Sauce Guy.  If you cut Allen or Adams, they will be snatched up QUICK.  So I would try and sell at a discount.  You probably can get something useful for either Allen or Adams.  No issue with you wanting to cut bait.  But don't let another owner add them for free.

Same here.

And if my memory serves correctly Keenan Allen usually performs better in the second half of a fantasy season.
He’s all over the map, TBH. I had him for years on various teams in various formats. He’s either the highest scoring player of the month or he’s a 2/17/0 guy. 

and it can and will happen at any time of year.

in my case, the bad games are always when i need him the most, but that’s just my bad luck.

his final line is usually impressive, but his weekly swings can be brutal.  

but that doesn’t make him droppable - it make him a player to set appropriate expectations for when drafting him, and if you don’t want him, an asset to trade to a team not as familiar with the player. 

Did you drop Hopkins 3 weeks ago? Had not had a good game since week 1. How about Kelce? Ertz? Gordon? Etc etc. 
Hopkins is disingenuous and you know it.Guy has had 15 points or more since week 5. We are in week 10.

Kelce is at a thin position and had double digit points in all but one week. Ertz is again at a thin position and while he did have 3 straight weeks in single digits, he has performed at a thin position with consistent double digit outputs. But if you want to cut bait, so be it. Goedert is the better play anyways. 

Melvin Gordon did have a good game last week, but has not been anything but a wasted roster spot most season, amazing we forget the drag he was all season because of this past week. I did see melvin gordon cut and picked up already across my leagues. 

So who is a big name you are looking to cut because their performance says they are no longer studs, to stick to the original question? 

I’m in a 12 team PPR and I cut both of those guys.

not starting either over Fournette, AJones, DJohnson, Lev Bell, DFreeman, and now Jaylon Samuels while Connor is hurt.  Mixon has no PPR value. 

I understand the idea of the topic. I'm just curious how good of a roster one can have where Adams and Allen are in the cut category? I mean these guys are young enough to not be washed up and have been great performers for multiple seasons.

I understand the idea of the topic. I'm just curious how good of a roster one can have where Adams and Allen are in the cut category? I mean these guys are young enough to not be washed up and have been great performers for multiple seasons.
That’s my dilemma - formulating such a strong negative opinion on the basis of such a limited sample size when there’s a massive body of evidence to indicate otherwise.

in this case, the definitive statement that Adams is a bust and not worth holding based on a handful of games (2 of which were WR1 caliber) and disregarding peripheral factors of scheme & injury. 

IMO, it’s that illogical premise I take issue with more than the concept of the topic.

sure; maybe there are big names that are droppable. Cam Newton comes to mind. He likely lost his job and/or won’t be right all year.

Davante Adams does not come close to fitting the definition of a droppable player. He’s a potential top 5 WR ROS. 

madness. 

Anytime a discussion goes into the "should I drop XXXX" it is never a good question unless you have context.  That context is who you are dropping the player for AND what the rest of your roster looks like.  Without those pieces of information you really cannot give quality advice about whether or not a player should be dropped. 

In the OP we have the who the player will be dropped for, however, most people cannot believe that there isn't someone else on the roster worth dropping instead of the names provided.  That is what needs to be added for a proper response.

Even selling these names for pennies on the dollar is better than dropping them for nothing out of the shear possibility they return to form and carry a team through the playoffs. 

If guys like Singletary are on the WW and guys like Adams/Allen are on the cutting block then I would imagine it's a relatively shallow bench league.  And in redraft those kind of leagues can reasonably wind up with enough good players that someone disappointing for this long like Allen could be a cut consideration.

Obviously it's a different ballgame in dynasty.  And I think the topic is a good one if we move on from the individuals a bit.

Even selling these names for pennies on the dollar is better than dropping them for nothing out of the shear possibility they return to form and carry a team through the playoffs. 
But it's not dynasty, you can't trade them for picks.  The whole reason he wants to move them is to get a roster spot for Singletary.  If he can't trade them for someone he likes better than Singletary then what's the point?  Just to get someone else to drop for Singletary?

Sure he could try and package them with another player for an upgrade, but that's gotta be fast turnaround time to get it done before waivers run.

Let me be the voice of reason for one second in regards to Keenan Allen.  He is still the target leader on a team with the most passing yardage, and has double digit targets in 2 of the last 3.  Trade if you want, but he is in no way an outright drop.  To say you can't get anything for him is 100% completely wrong.  I guarantee the Ravens D owner would jump all over him, and you could start them against the Bengals this week (although the trade may get vetoed).  Just trying to show that Keenan is worth something.  I always look for something, anything, before cutting a player.

As for your original question - my next player I plan to part with is LeSean McCoy.  His usage has been all over the place, and guessing which week he will get significant touches is not something I want to do.

P.S.  Thanx for mentioning Keenan & Davante.  Hoping the owners in my league feel the same as you, because I would love to have both at this point (currently riding with Lockett, Thielen, Hilton, and AJG, 3 of which probably should be mentioned in this thread). 

Anytime a discussion goes into the "should I drop XXXX" it is never a good question unless you have context.  That context is who you are dropping the player for AND what the rest of your roster looks like.  Without those pieces of information you really cannot give quality advice about whether or not a player should be dropped. 

In the OP we have the who the player will be dropped for, however, most people cannot believe that there isn't someone else on the roster worth dropping instead of the names provided.  That is what needs to be added for a proper response.

If guys like Singletary are on the WW and guys like Adams/Allen are on the cutting block then I would imagine it's a relatively shallow bench league.  And in redraft those kind of leagues can reasonably wind up with enough good players that someone disappointing for this long like Allen could be a cut consideration.

Obviously it's a different ballgame in dynasty.  And I think the topic is a good one if we move on from the individuals a bit.
Ya we really need to get off of Adams and Allen here.  OP should never have put their names in.  Forget about his team and are there other big names that you're keeping just for their name?  When others with similar stats all year are sitting on waivers and no one wants them?

Like the Pats D, you drop either of those WRs both will get picked up rather quickly, so do a trade. I do understand why you’re thinking this, they haven’t been that great this year so far. Although Adam got hurt while having a good game (and just got back so maybe give him another week before panicking) and as for Allen, he’s fighting for targets now. The team is getting healthy. Still not a drop, though, and I’m sure there’s someone else you could drop. Every team has that one player a team can drop that isn’t all that. Regardless, it is your team, do what you think is best.

But it's not dynasty, you can't trade them for picks.  The whole reason he wants to move them is to get a roster spot for Singletary.  If he can't trade them for someone he likes better than Singletary then what's the point?  Just to get someone else to drop for Singletary?

Sure he could try and package them with another player for an upgrade, but that's gotta be fast turnaround time to get it done before waivers run.
The point is that I am sure there is someone droppable in place of either of these guys on his roster.  Heck, drop a kicker or defense just to get the waiver wire target to give you more time to work a deal.  In fact you can probably work a deal with whoever has the top kicker or top 5 defense to give up "name player" to improve your team in those positions. 

The fact that name players aren't performing like name players doesn't mean they don't have value.  Trade them for a kicker or defense that improves your team rather than just drop a guy that will be picked up immediately. 

Names probably are important here because what is really being discussed is when is a mid season trend a trend over historical numbers? 

Davante Adams would not be droppable for me. He is just coming back from the turf toe injury and was getting monster usage in the game he got hurt and that offense is largely healthy.

I don't follow Keenan Allen closely so I'm less informed but that team too seems to be laregly healthy on offense and he has been great.

McCoy who was mentioned would seem droppable. RB usage varies widely and he is older and not established on that offense. Seems to have more question marks for sure.

Ya we really need to get off of Adams and Allen here.  OP should never have put their names in.  Forget about his team and are there other big names that you're keeping just for their name?  When others with similar stats all year are sitting on waivers and no one wants them?
Mixon as has been mentioned before seems like the most obvious name.

Sony Michel is another I think.  Those kind of boom or bust players that can put up 18 points or 1.8 points just as easily are easy to find.

Brandin Cooks may be droppable at this point.  Another concussion could linger on to big time out like it did for Sterling Shepard, and unlike Shepard he hasn't even been particularly useful when healthy.

The difference is that other teams will want the name player because of their name.  That has a value over the waiver wire fodder with similar stats.  Even if it is to improve at kicker or defense or backup qb or ????  The name has a value over waiver wire fodder (even if the name is performing like waiver wire fodder).  Find the guy willing to take a chance.  Someone will be out there.

The OP is in frustration drop mode.  Player A has wronged me and I am sick of looking at that guy on my bench or putting him in my lineup.  That is not a way to consistently win.  It may work out occasionally, but is not the best way to manage. 

I don't follow Keenan Allen closely so I'm less informed but that team too seems to be laregly healthy on offense and he has been great.
Has he though?  I think that's kind of the OP's point, that we assume these big name players are great when they aren't playing like it.  Rivers looks toast and Allen has been miserable since that big 3 week stretch to start the season.  He is WR57 in ppg since week 4.  Even if you're holding him you can't start him right now.  So what will probably happen is at some point he'll finally have a big game, on your bench, and then you'll chase those points by starting him next week only to have him put another 2/17 performance in your lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread