What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Name Players Maybe Worth Not Rostering - Was: Stud Name, But Got to Go! (1 Viewer)

What kind of roster and league has singletary on the waiver wire and Adams and Allen as the only two reasonable options an owner can see as far as who to drop?  Just trying to back into this thing here because I can't make it make sense the traditional way.

To answer the question/discussion-. I DO see the reason to go after Singletary. These are moves that win leagues when you get the right riser at the right time.  But I can not see doing it at the same of Adams.  He is a legit top wr in ff and if you held him this long, you're losing out on the return (finally) and you likely held him this long because deep down you know the return possibility.  

Allen is slightly different. If you played against him in week 3 you clearly understand how he can win your week (or beat you).  He can do that at any time.  But he hasn't this year and the chargers are just having one of those years.   A new coordinator last week and they won without relying heavily on him also bodes against him.  If you're not in a dynasty, you might be able to roll the dice on this one and win but with that being said, I still wouldn't drop him.

If your roster is THAT tight, I'd almost risk dropping my backup TE or Qb and squeezing Singletary onto the roster.

To address the original question in the thread, as much as I hate to say it, I think shady McCoy is a name you can forget the rest of this year.  Obj, Julio, and a few others that are just in bad spots going forward.   
I agree on McCoy but Julio just put up 15 in standard with Matt pick 6 schaub. 

Kyle Rudolph
I’m about to try and claim Rudolph or another “name” TE who’s underperformed since Goddert is on a BYE & Engram hurt his foot.

I’m not sure any of those players really qualify for stud status though. Certainly none were top picks outside of DJohnson, and he’s a strong hold IMO.

I'm assuming this is a 4 man league? In most competitive leagues Singletary was held through his injury. Also why would you hold Adams through his injury then drop him right after a 11 target game? I suppose if players like Golladay is on the wire(2 man leagues) is probably drop Adams for Golladay.
Do they get points for targets in these 2 man and 4 man leagues?

Singletary is on the waivers in a few leagues I have seen. He is only owned in 73% in Yahoo. So, 27% must be 4 man leagues. 

A few "name players" you can probably drop in short bench redraft leagues, just off the top of my head

Jason witten

Kyle Rudolph

Todd gurley

David Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Frank gore

Antonio Brown

Brandon Cooks

Mariota

Cam
I have seen DJ cut, but he was promptly re picked back up by same owner within a minute. Cooks was just freshly dropped in a league. 

Do they get points for targets in these 2 man and 4 man leagues?

Singletary is on the waivers in a few leagues I have seen. He is only owned in 73% in Yahoo. So, 27% must be 4 man leagues. 
Looks about right for competitive league % on Yahoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks about right for competitive league % on Yahoo.
Yahoo is one of the better services for dictating how the ebbs and flows of players go. ESPN is far too choppy because its not used as much as Yahoo. When waivers run and 600k make an add, that player is only added in 40% of leagues. That is a lot of users on yahoo. 

A few "name players" you can probably drop in short bench redraft leagues, just off the top of my head

Jason witten

Kyle Rudolph

Todd gurley

David Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Frank gore

Antonio Brown

Brandon Cooks

Mariota

Cam
I think both Gurley and Johnson could actually be guys that win some leagues down the stretch.  I think both of these guys have been "load managed" early to save for later and, of course, DJ has also been hurt, but DJ is actually right there in top 8-12 average per week in terms of points per game played.  

tackle for loss said:
This is my point, you still think he has value? He doesnt,. He is worthless, 0 value. None. 

Week 4 - 5/48/0  (9.8 points)

Week 5 - 4/18/0 (5.8 points)

Week 6 - 2/33/0 (5.3 points)

Week 7 - 4/61/0 (10.10 points)

Week 8 - 7/53/0 (12.30 points)

Week 9 - 3/40/0 (7 points)

6 weeks is not just a anomaly, its almost half a season. 

He shouldnt be on anyones roster, the people in my league know that and thats why I couldnt trade him for anything. last week, you think his value went up after this past game? 

Adams I can argue can be traded before he has another stinker, but Allen is literal useless as a fantasy asset. 
This post won’t age well.

I won't call Cam Newton a stud but in my 12 team super-flex, which puts a premium on QBs I dropped Cam after week 3. I drafted him as my #1 QB (after going RB-RB-RB which is very risky in a super-flex). In any of the 20 years before this year I would have desperately held onto him waiting for... something... anything. But this year I changed my philosophy to something akin to "If you're not helping, you're hurting". And not only was Cam hurting me but I saw no reason that he would help my team for weeks, at best and even if he came back I decided that he might still be the guy he was in weeks 1&2. So I decided to shoot for other fliers who might actually help me win now, like Darren Waller.

Someone else decided to pick up Cam before week 6 and has, IMO, been hurting his team ever since. 

I cut Andy Dalton, who despite his real world flaws is a very solid super-flex QB, immediately upon hearing the news about Finley. I think Dalton could easily see the field again this year but, he wasn't helping me now so he's gone. If needs be I'll make a play for him later.

At any rate, I have made a philosophical sea-change and I think I am moving in a better direction.

Now...what to do with Damien Williams...?

Corey Davis is a headache in Dynasty.

... and OJ Howard. 

I missed out on Mcaffrey, taking Fournette... Kamara, taking Davis.... and Watson, taking OJ

I can see dropping Cooks due to injury uncertainty and Larry Fitzgerald due to retirement age. Those are two "stud names" I can see as easy cuts.

I'm considering dropping Julio since he had 0 last week. Thoughts?
So you will mock dropping Adams and Allen but suggest dropping Julio? Julio is a stud not worthy of dropping, he performs consistently, we forget Keenan isnt consistent. 

This post won’t age well.
Is something incorrect in his stats? Im curious why it wont age well? Is it because we all know Allen should blow up against Oakland, but what if he doesnt. And what if he doesnt against the chiefs before he takes a 0 in his bye week and plays Harris who shut him down already in week 5 for 5 points? So we shall hope for the playoffs for a turnaround? If he doesnt get it done against Oakland, thats what its looking like. 

Jason witten

Kyle Rudolph

Todd gurley

David Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Frank gore

Antonio Brown

Brandon Cooks

Mariota

Cam
Gurley and Johnson are surprising, outside of the most severely short bench/low roster rewuirements leagues.  Johnson is RB16 in standard, Gurley is 19 (13 and 17 in ppg).  These would be solid RB2 starters in a 12 team league, and easily flex options even in a 10 team league.

I can see a case that their 2nd half production will decline, but am skeptical that anything on the wire you could replace them with would be more productive.

Jason witten

Kyle Rudolph

Todd gurley

David Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Frank gore

Antonio Brown

Brandon Cooks

Mariota

Cam
On all of these, and when we discuss players going forward, it's super helpful if you can not just say things "droppable" or "worth an add" but put some context to it and say about where you see them at their position. 

In other words, in our Footballguys Rest Of Season PPR rankings, we have Jason Witten as TE9. See them here if you're a subscriber. If you're not a subscriber, you should be. ;)

So for me, Witten is a starter and not droppable in most leagues that require a TE. But if you play in an 8 team league with no TE, he could well be droppable. If you're in a 16 Team league with bonus PPR for TE and a mandatory TE starter, Witten's important.

So it all depends. It's why we think things like our Rest Of Season Rankings are so valuable. 

So for the future, please put some context around the players and let us know about where you see them ranking among their position. Thanks. 

I won't call Cam Newton a stud but in my 12 team super-flex, which puts a premium on QBs I dropped Cam after week 3. I drafted him as my #1 QB (after going RB-RB-RB which is very risky in a super-flex). In any of the 20 years before this year I would have desperately held onto him waiting for... something... anything. But this year I changed my philosophy to something akin to "If you're not helping, you're hurting". And not only was Cam hurting me but I saw no reason that he would help my team for weeks, at best and even if he came back I decided that he might still be the guy he was in weeks 1&2. So I decided to shoot for other fliers who might actually help me win now, like Darren Waller.

Someone else decided to pick up Cam before week 6 and has, IMO, been hurting his team ever since. 

I cut Andy Dalton, who despite his real world flaws is a very solid super-flex QB, immediately upon hearing the news about Finley. I think Dalton could easily see the field again this year but, he wasn't helping me now so he's gone. If needs be I'll make a play for him later.

At any rate, I have made a philosophical sea-change and I think I am moving in a better direction.

Now...what to do with Damien Williams...?
I understand to some degree the point you are trying to make however you have a bench for players that aren't "helping" you every week.  In your statement above wouldn't that mean that all bench players are not helping you now so you should cut them all?  The bench is for speculation or for depth in case of injury.  Moving on from Newton in week 3 or Dalton right now because he was benched can be the right thing but it really depends what you are getting in place of them.  You had roster space for those guys and presumably you have bench spots so holding isn't hurting you unless there is a better player to acquire. 

In my experience in Super Flex leagues the QB is the highest valued commodity there is.  Typically there are no options available and most serviceable backups are also rostered.  I would think holding onto Dalton would have value but this is based on not knowing what you are replacing him with.  For context, who did you drop him for?

in my experience in Super Flex leagues the QB is the highest valued commodity there is.  Typically there are no options available and most serviceable backups are also rostered.  I would think holding onto Dalton would have value but this is based on not knowing what you are replacing him with.  For context, who did you drop him for?
Yep. In my dynasty superflex, Newton is rostered (on someone’s IR now), along with Rosen, Hoyer, and literally every other backup QB. 

heck, I’m carrying Matt Barkley.  :no:

If it were redraft obviously the hurt players like Newton would be dropped,  but the backups would be rostered for sure depending on bench size.  And it’s paid off for the folks who were carrying Brissett, Minshew (RIP), Finley, Kyle Allen, etc. 

Deamon said:
Ya we really need to get off of Adams and Allen here.  OP should never have put their names in.  Forget about his team and are there other big names that you're keeping just for their name?  When others with similar stats all year are sitting on waivers and no one wants them?
Putting the names in I think is perfect for context. Adams is a hold due to injuries but I seriously doubt he is going to be 100% this season. Foot injuries tend to linger. 

As far as Allen goes he could easily be a drop based on performance and trends. His first 3 games he saw targets of 10, 15, 17. Pretty unsustainable numbers. Since week 3 his targets regressed to 5, 6, 6, 11, 10, and 4. 

In the last six weeks he has combined in points to equal his week 3 box score. 

So projecting forward which Keenan Allen is this years Keenan Allen?

Im comfortable calling him nothing more than a brand name this year. 

In fact here is a name brand comp to Allen that nobody would have a real problem dropping  LeSean McCoy. Both Allen and McCoy have scored identical fantasy points over the last 6 weeks. 

As far as Allen goes he could easily be a drop based on performance and trends. His first 3 games he saw targets of 10, 15, 17. Pretty unsustainable numbers. Since week 3 his targets regressed to 5, 6, 6, 11, 10, and 4. 
so what I’m seeing here is otherworldly target numbers weeks 2 & 3, and WR1 targets weeks 1, 7 & 8, with high end WR2 targets the other weeks (5, 6, 6) with one sub-par (4). 

even if the results weren’t there, I’m not sure In what universe a player with 84 targets through 9 weeks would be a drop in any format or any roster size. 

weeks 2/3 were obviously unsustainable, but saying a player “regressed” from 17 targets (!!) to 6, 10 or 11 seems like a challenging argument to make. 

in the last six weeks he has combined in points to equal his week 3 box score. 

So projecting forward which Keenan Allen is this years Keenan Allen?

Im comfortable calling him nothing more than a brand name this year. 

coincidentally that’s right about when they lost their pro bowl starting center and shifted their OL around.

As I’ve said before in here, context matters.  That’s a situation that had an immediate impact and changed everything the Chargers did. They said they had to simplify the entire playbook because they had several players playing out of position. 

but as time passes they’re making adjustments & adapting to their new reality. They’re getting some of that downfield action working again. 

There’s an old adage that past performance is a poor indicator of future success.  To me that’s pretty clearly the case with Allen.  You could be correct - maybe he’s a WR2 or 3 ROS.

But because he has the potential to be a weekly difference maker; and because his targets are still respectable enough to achieve that on a weekly basis; he’s definitely a hold. It’s not even a consideration to drop because 1. Someone would happily buy low on him in leagues over 8 teams, and 2. Because if you drop him you’ll likely end up getting beaten by him in the playoffs. 

A better name would be Larry Fitzgerald, who’s targets have tanked, and who’s seemingly become an afterthought. That said, I have him on my bench as a WR5 for BYEs. Boom or bust for sure, and no one’s gonna trade me for him, but I don’t even consider Fitz a drop because he is potentially more useful than the rags on the FA list. But he’s a back of the bench player with a big name, so I’d say he qualifies if a team doesn’t have any use for him. 

In fact here is a name brand comp to Allen that nobody would have a real problem dropping  LeSean McCoy. Both Allen and McCoy have scored identical fantasy points over the last 6 weeks. 
There is a big difference between McCoy and Allen and it seems silly to have to explain.

McCoy is part of an unpredictable RBBC and is losing touches.   Allen is the WR1 on his team and his QB throws for a ton of yards.  While we cannot predict the future, we have to base our decisions on current info and potential.  

Allen is the WR1 on his team and his QB throws for a ton of yards. While we cannot predict the future, we have to base our decisions on current info and potential.  
Exactly. - McCoy & Fitz are synonymous.

And what we know for sure is that Allen’s target share is still substantial, and looking forward (while an imperfect science) it seems like the Chargers are figuring out their reworked OL.

There is a big difference between McCoy and Allen and it seems silly to have to explain.

McCoy is part of an unpredictable RBBC and is losing touches.   Allen is the WR1 on his team and his QB throws for a ton of yards.  While we cannot predict the future, we have to base our decisions on current info and potential.  
Yes of course there differences but the main point of the OP is about a willingness to evaluate a player beyond just their brand name. 

What is it about the Chargers situation that says positive regression is in line for Allen? While I wouldn’t cut him mainly because the draft capital paid for him renders my WR’s as poor. But Allen has played himself into flex category at this point. 

so I still like the exercise and unfortunately folks are getting stuck on this particular brand name when for 6 weeks Allen is a bust and likely killing some teams seasons. 

Yes of course there differences but the main point of the OP is about a willingness to evaluate a player beyond just their brand name. 

What is it about the Chargers situation that says positive regression is in line for Allen? While I wouldn’t cut him mainly because the draft capital paid for him renders my WR’s as poor. But Allen has played himself into flex category at this point. 

so I still like the exercise and unfortunately folks are getting stuck on this particular brand name when for 6 weeks Allen is a bust and likely killing some teams seasons. 
Allen is still the wr1 of the team.  There will be another week (or weeks) in this season where he's peppered with near double digit targets.  Can you say the same about... Taylor Gabriel?  Duke Williams?  Nelson agalor?  Insert ww guy here?

so I still like the exercise and unfortunately folks are getting stuck on this particular brand name when for 6 weeks Allen is a bust and likely killing some teams seasons
I think folks are "getting stuck" on providing reasons why a brand name of Allen shouldn't just be dropped.  That is part of the exercise.  In addition an underperforming high draft pick will always be killing teams for the mere fact that they are underperforming.  That doesn't mean they should be dropped.  It does mean they need to be re-evaluated and a decision made if they are still worthy of being started every week. 

I understand to some degree the point you are trying to make however you have a bench for players that aren't "helping" you every week.  In your statement above wouldn't that mean that all bench players are not helping you now so you should cut them all?  The bench is for speculation or for depth in case of injury.  Moving on from Newton in week 3 or Dalton right now because he was benched can be the right thing but it really depends what you are getting in place of them.  You had roster space for those guys and presumably you have bench spots so holding isn't hurting you unless there is a better player to acquire. 

In my experience in Super Flex leagues the QB is the highest valued commodity there is.  Typically there are no options available and most serviceable backups are also rostered.  I would think holding onto Dalton would have value but this is based on not knowing what you are replacing him with.  For context, who did you drop him for?
Valid points and I was going to go into more detail along those lines.but felt my post was already getting long.

I started with Cam, Brisett and Dalton. Picked up Rudolph in week 3 (not for Cam) but he was in my roster when I made the decision to cut cam. 

For Cam I felt he looked remarkably ineffective with the foot injury in weeks 1&2. I felt he would not be able to get right all season and didn't want to feel obligated to start him if he ever got back on the field. Technically I dropped him for Darrell Williams who I started once (his two TD game), who I dropped for Kenny Stills (two mediocre starts from him 11 total points...Cam put up 7 in his two starts for me) and just dropped Stills for Guice.

With Dalton I see his only path back on the field is injury. I still have Brisett and Rudolph.

I dropped him last week for Mark Walton after the Drake trade. I dropped Walton this week for Nick Foles after the news he will be starting after the bye.

I think Foles>Dalton>>>>>Finley and am willing to go this week with just Rudolph, if Brisett doesn't play, rather than make a play for a one week start from Finley and possibly miss out on Foles next week.

Valid points and I was going to go into more detail along those lines.but felt my post was already getting long.

I started with Cam, Brisett and Dalton. Picked up Rudolph in week 3 (not for Cam) but he was in my roster when I made the decision to cut cam. 

For Cam I felt he looked remarkably ineffective with the foot injury in weeks 1&2. I felt he would not be able to get right all season and didn't want to feel obligated to start him if he ever got back on the field. Technically I dropped him for Darrell Williams who I started once (his two TD game), who I dropped for Kenny Stills (two mediocre starts from him 11 total points...Cam put up 7 in his two starts for me) and just dropped Stills for Guice.

With Dalton I see his only path back on the field is injury. I still have Brisett and Rudolph.

I dropped him last week for Mark Walton after the Drake trade. I dropped Walton this week for Nick Foles after the news he will be starting after the bye.

I think Foles>Dalton>>>>>Finley and am willing to go this week with just Rudolph, if Brisett doesn't play, rather than make a play for a one week start from Finley and possibly miss out on Foles next week.
Why does getting Finley preclude you from getting Foles?  It sounds like you got Foles this week already.  Why not also pick up Finley?  In my SF experience any playing QB is worth rostering to see what they can do.  I don't expect much from Finley but he is worth rostering in a SF league.  Which is also why I would keep Dalton.  You know he can be a serviceable QB and good in the right matchup.  He is worth a bench spot in a SF. 

I understand your Cam thoughts.  I was trying to trade him in my SF dynasty league early when he was showing he couldn't play with the injury.  I can't cut him because he is under contract for next year and I don't want to take the cap hit at this point.  If he comes back and shows well in pre-season I hope to trade him for nothing just to shed the contract as I already have Carr, Jones, and L. Jackson at much cheaper salaries. 

I still disagree that dropping players (QB's especially in SF leagues) simply because "they are not helping me".  My disagreement is that any QB in a SF league is helping me in some way.  I would rather roster a QB of these type than waiver wire fodder that would just sit on my bench anyway (a guy like Guice doesn't fall into this category because of the potential upside he could bring).  I guess that is the crux of the decision for cutting any player.  Is the new player "better" than the cut player? 

Allen is still the wr1 of the team.  There will be another week (or weeks) in this season where he's peppered with near double digit targets.  Can you say the same about... Taylor Gabriel?  Duke Williams?  Nelson agalor?  Insert ww guy here?
Well, he has in fact been peppered with double digit targets twice since week 3. Week 7 and 8 he was targeted 11 and 10 times respectively. In week 8 he converted 7 targets for 53 yards. 

If you have Allen in standard scoring he is killing you. At this point in the season it is likely to late to grab anyone off the wire. The play should have been to sell high weeks ago. 

But here are WR's on my WW in a .5 PPR who have outscored Allen's 37.8 pts over the last six weeks:

A.J. Brown 57

Chris Conley 39.6

Cole Beasley 43.6

Corey Davis 52.2

Auden Tate 45.6

Hunter Renfro 38.1

Over the last 4 weeks Allen is the 65th ranked WR in .5 PPR and he has not had his bye week yet. That isn't 65th player overall that is 65th in positional scoring only. 

Brand name kicking in. 😀
Why? I assume this is a redraft, in dynasty I probably take that deal.  In my redraft PPR if you look only at the six games they have both been playing (Kirk missed three games) Allen has out performed Kirk in five of them.  It doesn't matter by how much, and I get that Allen has been a disappointment since week three but Allen has still been consistently better this season.  

Last night is why you don't drop Keenan Allen.  In a game where Rivers was terrible, Allen still got 11 targets (a 35% share).  8 catches and 86 total yards is a pretty nice stat line.  When the targets dwindle, you can cut Allen, but until then, he is not a player to be dropped. 

Why does getting Finley preclude you from getting Foles?  It sounds like you got Foles this week already.   
Because I only have a finite number of players to drop.

And I would pick up Hoyer for a one week start over Finley because I think he has more upside and I get the benefit of locking down the Indy passing game.

Cincinnati is the worst team in the league right now, I certainly wouldn't start a rookie in that situation over Hoyer vs Miami. After this week I have Foles, Brisett and Rudolph all of whom I like more than Finley.

Been in this league for 20+ years (12 team, redraft, PPR) and in my experience there are always enough injuries and benchings at QB that it is very rare not to have two starters rostered. And certainly not to make desperation moves if you get down to only one QB.

I also find that a QB isn't always the best option in the flex spot. Most of time it is the right move but not always.  And it is easy to fall into an "always start two QBs" mindset and not evaluate all options.

I will probably roll with one QB this week even if Brisett plays.

Last night is why you don't drop Keenan Allen.  In a game where Rivers was terrible, Allen still got 11 targets (a 35% share).  8 catches and 86 total yards is a pretty nice stat line.  When the targets dwindle, you can cut Allen, but until then, he is not a player to be dropped. 
Yes but does your league give points for yards??

I cut bait on Evan Engram. To be fair we combine the WR & TE positions even so he is trending in the wrong direction. Add the injury and upcoming bye and he became dead weight on my roster.

Yes but does your league give points for yards??
Yes, as well as catches.  He now has 96 targets through 10 games, putting him on pace for 154.  He has 62 catches, putting him on pace for 99.  He has 725 receiving yards, on pace for 1160 yards.  I don't know your league's scoring rules, but the numbers above clearly show he is not a drop in leagues that award points for catches and yardage, which most do.  TD-only leagues are dumb IMO.  In those leagues, Hopkins, Julio, and MT are tied with Dorsett.  In those leagues, Darren Fells is TE1.  I don't wanna play in a league where Fells has twice the points as all other TE's not named Hooper and Dissly.  Or where RSJ is tied with Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz.

Point is, Keenan is not a drop.

Yes, as well as catches.  He now has 96 targets through 10 games, putting him on pace for 154.  He has 62 catches, putting him on pace for 99.  He has 725 receiving yards, on pace for 1160 yards.  I don't know your league's scoring rules, but the numbers above clearly show he is not a drop in leagues that award points for catches and yardage, which most do.  TD-only leagues are dumb IMO.  In those leagues, Hopkins, Julio, and MT are tied with Dorsett.  In those leagues, Darren Fells is TE1.  I don't wanna play in a league where Fells has twice the points as all other TE's not named Hooper and Dissly.  Or where RSJ is tied with Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz.

Point is, Keenan is not a drop.
I was making a joke. I have said multiple times in here neither of these two players are a drop. And it's absolutely silly to even consider straight up dropping either.

Has Alshon Jeffrey gotten a mention in here?  I sooo want to drop him for any WR/RB with upside or even just a handcuff RB.  Problem is in that league I have a partner who has had a man-crush on him since like the 90's.  So worthless at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread