Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Flying Elvis

IDP Weekly Waiver Wire Targets

What player(s) are worthwhile targets for IDP waivers?

Not enough of us here in the IDP (waste)land to make a weekly thread so simply a week to week bump with names that could be valuable for a week, month, season, career (if you're really lucky).

Looking at the last 2 weeks of production from Christian Wilkins DT MIA, I'd say grab him if you can in leagues requiring DT. At BUF 2 weeks ago he was ejected very early. He was clearly upset/disappointed with himself and looks like it's become motivation. The following week he went 4T 1A and then went wild this past weekend with 3T 2TFL 2A 1S.

Dre Greenlaw in SF with Kwon going to IR. 

Who else has potential?

• Like 1

Here are a few I am looking at:

• Brandon Copeland for the Jets.  Their LB corps is decimated and right now he is the only guy left. 8 solos and 100% snaps look good and the time on the field should stay for the foreseeable future.
  • Jeffrey Simmons (Ten) for DT required leagues.  He is a beast and should only get better
  • Taylor Rapp (LAR) is getting in the box reps with John Johnson on IR.  Worth a shot now that they are done with their bye
  • Mack Wilson (Cle) has been gaining steam and on the field all the time with Kirksey on IR.  If the is still on waivers worth a pickup.
  • AJ Johnson (Den) had another solid game with 13 total tackles (6 solos).  It appears he has a 3 down spot in Denver.
  • Joe Walker (Ari) seems to have displaced Reddick at ILB.  Had a good game against SF.  Worth watching to see if it repeats.
  • Brennan Scarlett (Hou) might be worth a chance in big play scoring with Watt going down.  Had 2 sacks this week
  • Nate Gerry (Phi) is getting the snaps with Bradham out.  Good few weeks and might be worth an add. 
  • Harold Landry (Ten) in big play scoring he should be owned.  Might have some value in standard scoring with 30 solos and 6 sacks through 9 games.
  • Eric Harris (Oak) might be a fluke but he had 9 solos this week and hasn't had less than 4 since he has gotten significant play time starting in week 4
  • JPP (TB) just in case your league isn't paying attention and thought he still had a broken neck. 
  • Sean Lee (Dal) depending on how long LVE is out and how long Lee can stay healthy.
  • Like 6

AJ Johnson tops my target list this week.  

There don’t seem to be a lot of breakout guys this season though...most of the emerging opportunity guys like Simmons or Warner are generally rostered.

I’d check on R. Evans too, but also likely rostered.  Greenlaw looked good after Kwon left...maybe a speculative pickup.

Marquis Blair is someone I am optimistic will hold a role even with McDougald back, but more of a long-term stash.

Edited by Arodin
  • Like 2

These are all good calls.  A couple I'd add are DT Christian Wilkins.  He could easily have been dropped in the first half of the season, esp. after he punched a Bill and got himself ejected.  Also ILB James Burgess.  He has experience with Gregg Williams from their days in Cleveland.  Copeland could move back to edge full-time, allowing Burgess and Hewitt to play full-time off the ball.  Williams typically keeps two ILBs on the field.

It just so happens that I JUST caught on with another website, I mean literally in the past week.  I'll be writing the IDP waiver wire column to start. I'll try to give options for leagues of most sizes.  (My deepest is 20 teams, 60-man rosters.  Prolly not digging quite that deep for the column, but for 14- and 16-teamers?  You bet.)  I won't post a link to the website here, because I don't think it would be cool to drive traffic out of FootballGuys.com.  If you're interested, you can look me up on Twitter @DynastyTripp.  You're feedback would be welcome.  I respect and appreciate the opinions and perspectives of guys in this forum.

• Like 9

GL, tripp. Another quality member getting a gig elsewhere while FBG seems content to let good contributors go. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying Elvis said:

GL, tripp. Another quality member getting a gig elsewhere while FBG seems content to let good contributors go. :(

I totally agree with this sentiment.  Good Luck and don't forget to pop in around here still.....hahahaha

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes, guys! I'll keep popping in.  

Welcome to the NFL, Clelin Ferrell. Probably on the wire in short roster leagues. On my bench b/c he's done very little to start the season and certainly a risk to continue being a boom/bust player but that game shows why he was a top pick. Primetime game so everybody saw it but it's also TNF which is easily forgettable by the time waivers run. 

• Like 1

Somehow Bosa looked like the least effective starting D-end last night. Chargers OTs helped with that, but still befuddling.

• Like 1

Drue Tranquill, Dre Greenlaw, and Nick Kwiatkoski if you're looking for a LB down the stretch. All three look like they they may be 3 down guys through the end of the year.

• Like 1

I didn't catch the very start of last night's game. Did Greenlaw get the start? Anyone now what the deal is with Azeez Al-Shaair? They were talking him up prior to what looked like a concussion. Was that just typical announcer-knows-nothing-speak?

Preston Brown cut. Does this mean more snaps for Germaine Pratt?

I had Brown on my roster but may have to look at Tranquill, Kwiatkowski or Pratt.

I'd put Tranquill last of the 3. LAC seems 100% determined to play Perryman when he's available. I like Kwiatkoski as the best option for this season but he's never been able to lock down a full time role and the Bears seem like they're looking to upgrade over his services whenever he looks like he may have a shot. 

• Thanks 1

If you had to promote Greenlaw or Tranquill from a taxi squad, who makes more sense (versus which one is better off staying put)?  I'm thinking both are great for this year, but may be relegated to bench duty after that. 

I'm a little gun-shy after promoting Marquis Blair (SEA) in a couple of leagues last week, only to see his playing time eliminted this week due to the Diggs signing in SEA.  

Edited by Golden Gopher

1 hour ago, Golden Gopher said:

If you had to promote Greenlaw or Tranquill from a taxi squad, who makes more sense (versus which one is better off staying put)?  I'm thinking both are great for this year, but may be relegated to bench duty after that. 

I'm a little gun-shy after promoting Marquis Blair (SEA) in a couple of leagues last week, only to see his playing time eliminted this week due to the Diggs signing in SEA.  

Greenlaw is in for the IR'd Kwon, so he looks like the safer bet to maintain snap count. Tranquill played because Perryman was banged up (shocker!) and was listed as questionable, then (my assumption-->) was suited up in case of emergency. So for this year I'd go with Greenlaw. Kwon was given a big contract and should be back next year, though, so Greenlaw has competition in 2020. Long-term, the LAC job has yet to be locked down by any of the LBs they've drafted over the last few years (Uchenna Nwosu, Kyzir White, Joshua Perry, Jatavis Brown, Denzel Perryman, Kyle Emanuel, Jeremiah Attaochu, Manti Te'o) and Tranquill seems to be making a case for more PT. Then again, Kazir White was looking decent last year, got hurt, and has now apparently been ghosted by the entire organization. 👻

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

Greenlaw is in for the IR'd Kwon, so he looks like the safer bet to maintain snap count. Tranquill played because Perryman was banged up (shocker!) and was listed as questionable, then (my assumption-->) was suited up in case of emergency. So for this year I'd go with Greenlaw. Kwon was given a big contract and should be back next year, though, so Greenlaw has competition in 2020. Long-term, the LAC job has yet to be locked down by any of the LBs they've drafted over the last few years (Uchenna Nwosu, Kyzir White, Joshua Perry, Jatavis Brown, Denzel Perryman, Kyle Emanuel, Jeremiah Attaochu, Manti Te'o) and Tranquill seems to be making a case for more PT. Then again, Kazir White was looking decent last year, got hurt, and has now apparently been ghosted by the entire organization. 👻

That all makes sense.  Yeah, the SD LB group seems like a total cluster, from what I've been able to tell.  Thanks for the input.  

8 hours ago, Flying Elvis said:

I didn't catch the very start of last night's game. Did Greenlaw get the start? Anyone now what the deal is with Azeez Al-Shaair? They were talking him up prior to what looked like a concussion. Was that just typical announcer-knows-nothing-speak?

Fbg doesn't post snap count data till tomorrow but I'll be surprised if he wasn't 3 downs. Seemed like he was always out there. 

7 hours ago, Warhogs said:

Preston Brown cut. Does this mean more snaps for Germaine Pratt?

I had Brown on my roster but may have to look at Tranquill, Kwiatkowski or Pratt.

Maybe, but they had already been phasing Brown out so this doesn't open up a lot of snaps. 

20 hours ago, Golden Gopher said:

this hurt me. lesson learned though...

21 hours ago, Golden Gopher said:

I think there was some talk about what to expect with Blair in the Box Safety thread.  I think the consensus was to hold and see what happens when Diggs got into the lineup.  Unfortunately that doesn't really help you now.

3 hours ago, Gally said:

I think there was some talk about what to expect with Blair in the Box Safety thread.  I think the consensus was to hold and see what happens when Diggs got into the lineup.  Unfortunately that doesn't really help you now.

Yeah, life got too busy last week, and I didn't put two and two together to realize Blair was a bit of a risk.  Luckily, it didn't hurt me (literally pulled out the win by half a point on Metcalf's last reception in OT), barring a stat change tomorrow.   I'm now holding on Blair... just a week later than most everyone else.  Unfortunately, I'm now holding on my active roster.  

Would have loved to have just left him on my taxi squad, but my DB's in a couple of leagues look like a list of the walking wounded.   K. Neal, J. Evans, and J. Johnson all went to IR.  Replaced them with Randle, Weddle, Nickolson, and Harris (all of which have been dinged up at one point or another).  Got to the point where Blair was about all I had left two weeks ago, with byes and guys missing time due to injury.   Sometimes, this game is simply a war of attrition more than anything else.  

• Like 1

Anyone know anything about Jaylon Ferguson? Besides that he was drafted in the third round by the Ravens? Just saw he had a few tackles the last couple weeks, was curious if there was anything to see. 

12 hours ago, The Claymaker said:

Anyone know anything about Jaylon Ferguson? Besides that he was drafted in the third round by the Ravens? Just saw he had a few tackles the last couple weeks, was curious if there was anything to see. 

With an offseason reclass he could be in for a big jump in 2020.