What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP Weekly Waiver Wire Targets (1 Viewer)

Flying Elvis

Footballguy
What player(s) are worthwhile targets for IDP waivers?

Not enough of us here in the IDP (waste)land to make a weekly thread so simply a week to week bump with names that could be valuable for a week, month, season, career (if you're really lucky).

Looking at the last 2 weeks of production from Christian Wilkins DT MIA, I'd say grab him if you can in leagues requiring DT. At BUF 2 weeks ago he was ejected very early. He was clearly upset/disappointed with himself and looks like it's become motivation. The following week he went 4T 1A and then went wild this past weekend with 3T 2TFL 2A 1S.

Dre Greenlaw in SF with Kwon going to IR. 

Who else has potential?

Here are a few I am looking at:

• Brandon Copeland for the Jets.  Their LB corps is decimated and right now he is the only guy left. 8 solos and 100% snaps look good and the time on the field should stay for the foreseeable future.
  • Jeffrey Simmons (Ten) for DT required leagues.  He is a beast and should only get better
  • Taylor Rapp (LAR) is getting in the box reps with John Johnson on IR.  Worth a shot now that they are done with their bye
  • Mack Wilson (Cle) has been gaining steam and on the field all the time with Kirksey on IR.  If the is still on waivers worth a pickup.
  • AJ Johnson (Den) had another solid game with 13 total tackles (6 solos).  It appears he has a 3 down spot in Denver.
  • Joe Walker (Ari) seems to have displaced Reddick at ILB.  Had a good game against SF.  Worth watching to see if it repeats.
  • Brennan Scarlett (Hou) might be worth a chance in big play scoring with Watt going down.  Had 2 sacks this week
  • Nate Gerry (Phi) is getting the snaps with Bradham out.  Good few weeks and might be worth an add. 
  • Harold Landry (Ten) in big play scoring he should be owned.  Might have some value in standard scoring with 30 solos and 6 sacks through 9 games.
  • Eric Harris (Oak) might be a fluke but he had 9 solos this week and hasn't had less than 4 since he has gotten significant play time starting in week 4
  • JPP (TB) just in case your league isn't paying attention and thought he still had a broken neck. 
  • Sean Lee (Dal) depending on how long LVE is out and how long Lee can stay healthy.

AJ Johnson tops my target list this week.  

There don’t seem to be a lot of breakout guys this season though...most of the emerging opportunity guys like Simmons or Warner are generally rostered.

I’d check on R. Evans too, but also likely rostered.  Greenlaw looked good after Kwon left...maybe a speculative pickup.

Marquis Blair is someone I am optimistic will hold a role even with McDougald back, but more of a long-term stash.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are all good calls.  A couple I'd add are DT Christian Wilkins.  He could easily have been dropped in the first half of the season, esp. after he punched a Bill and got himself ejected.  Also ILB James Burgess.  He has experience with Gregg Williams from their days in Cleveland.  Copeland could move back to edge full-time, allowing Burgess and Hewitt to play full-time off the ball.  Williams typically keeps two ILBs on the field.

It just so happens that I JUST caught on with another website, I mean literally in the past week.  I'll be writing the IDP waiver wire column to start. I'll try to give options for leagues of most sizes.  (My deepest is 20 teams, 60-man rosters.  Prolly not digging quite that deep for the column, but for 14- and 16-teamers?  You bet.)  I won't post a link to the website here, because I don't think it would be cool to drive traffic out of FootballGuys.com.  If you're interested, you can look me up on Twitter @DynastyTripp.  You're feedback would be welcome.  I respect and appreciate the opinions and perspectives of guys in this forum.

Welcome to the NFL, Clelin Ferrell. Probably on the wire in short roster leagues. On my bench b/c he's done very little to start the season and certainly a risk to continue being a boom/bust player but that game shows why he was a top pick. Primetime game so everybody saw it but it's also TNF which is easily forgettable by the time waivers run. 

Somehow Bosa looked like the least effective starting D-end last night. Chargers OTs helped with that, but still befuddling.

Drue Tranquill, Dre Greenlaw, and Nick Kwiatkoski if you're looking for a LB down the stretch. All three look like they they may be 3 down guys through the end of the year.

I didn't catch the very start of last night's game. Did Greenlaw get the start? Anyone now what the deal is with Azeez Al-Shaair? They were talking him up prior to what looked like a concussion. Was that just typical announcer-knows-nothing-speak?

Preston Brown cut. Does this mean more snaps for Germaine Pratt?

I had Brown on my roster but may have to look at Tranquill, Kwiatkowski or Pratt.

I'd put Tranquill last of the 3. LAC seems 100% determined to play Perryman when he's available. I like Kwiatkoski as the best option for this season but he's never been able to lock down a full time role and the Bears seem like they're looking to upgrade over his services whenever he looks like he may have a shot. 

If you had to promote Greenlaw or Tranquill from a taxi squad, who makes more sense (versus which one is better off staying put)?  I'm thinking both are great for this year, but may be relegated to bench duty after that. 

I'm a little gun-shy after promoting Marquis Blair (SEA) in a couple of leagues last week, only to see his playing time eliminted this week due to the Diggs signing in SEA.  

If you had to promote Greenlaw or Tranquill from a taxi squad, who makes more sense (versus which one is better off staying put)?  I'm thinking both are great for this year, but may be relegated to bench duty after that. 

I'm a little gun-shy after promoting Marquis Blair (SEA) in a couple of leagues last week, only to see his playing time eliminted this week due to the Diggs signing in SEA.  
Greenlaw is in for the IR'd Kwon, so he looks like the safer bet to maintain snap count. Tranquill played because Perryman was banged up (shocker!) and was listed as questionable, then (my assumption-->) was suited up in case of emergency. So for this year I'd go with Greenlaw. Kwon was given a big contract and should be back next year, though, so Greenlaw has competition in 2020. Long-term, the LAC job has yet to be locked down by any of the LBs they've drafted over the last few years (Uchenna Nwosu, Kyzir White, Joshua Perry, Jatavis Brown, Denzel Perryman, Kyle Emanuel, Jeremiah Attaochu, Manti Te'o) and Tranquill seems to be making a case for more PT. Then again, Kazir White was looking decent last year, got hurt, and has now apparently been ghosted by the entire organization. 👻

Greenlaw is in for the IR'd Kwon, so he looks like the safer bet to maintain snap count. Tranquill played because Perryman was banged up (shocker!) and was listed as questionable, then (my assumption-->) was suited up in case of emergency. So for this year I'd go with Greenlaw. Kwon was given a big contract and should be back next year, though, so Greenlaw has competition in 2020. Long-term, the LAC job has yet to be locked down by any of the LBs they've drafted over the last few years (Uchenna Nwosu, Kyzir White, Joshua Perry, Jatavis Brown, Denzel Perryman, Kyle Emanuel, Jeremiah Attaochu, Manti Te'o) and Tranquill seems to be making a case for more PT. Then again, Kazir White was looking decent last year, got hurt, and has now apparently been ghosted by the entire organization. 👻
That all makes sense.  Yeah, the SD LB group seems like a total cluster, from what I've been able to tell.  Thanks for the input.  

I didn't catch the very start of last night's game. Did Greenlaw get the start? Anyone now what the deal is with Azeez Al-Shaair? They were talking him up prior to what looked like a concussion. Was that just typical announcer-knows-nothing-speak?
Fbg doesn't post snap count data till tomorrow but I'll be surprised if he wasn't 3 downs. Seemed like he was always out there. 

Preston Brown cut. Does this mean more snaps for Germaine Pratt?

I had Brown on my roster but may have to look at Tranquill, Kwiatkowski or Pratt.
Maybe, but they had already been phasing Brown out so this doesn't open up a lot of snaps. 

this hurt me. lesson learned though...

I think there was some talk about what to expect with Blair in the Box Safety thread.  I think the consensus was to hold and see what happens when Diggs got into the lineup.  Unfortunately that doesn't really help you now.

I think there was some talk about what to expect with Blair in the Box Safety thread.  I think the consensus was to hold and see what happens when Diggs got into the lineup.  Unfortunately that doesn't really help you now.
Yeah, life got too busy last week, and I didn't put two and two together to realize Blair was a bit of a risk.  Luckily, it didn't hurt me (literally pulled out the win by half a point on Metcalf's last reception in OT), barring a stat change tomorrow.   I'm now holding on Blair... just a week later than most everyone else.  Unfortunately, I'm now holding on my active roster.  

Would have loved to have just left him on my taxi squad, but my DB's in a couple of leagues look like a list of the walking wounded.   K. Neal, J. Evans, and J. Johnson all went to IR.  Replaced them with Randle, Weddle, Nickolson, and Harris (all of which have been dinged up at one point or another).  Got to the point where Blair was about all I had left two weeks ago, with byes and guys missing time due to injury.   Sometimes, this game is simply a war of attrition more than anything else.  

Anyone know anything about Jaylon Ferguson? Besides that he was drafted in the third round by the Ravens? Just saw he had a few tackles the last couple weeks, was curious if there was anything to see. 

The Claymaker said:
Anyone know anything about Jaylon Ferguson? Besides that he was drafted in the third round by the Ravens? Just saw he had a few tackles the last couple weeks, was curious if there was anything to see. 
With an offseason reclass he could be in for a big jump in 2020.

Here are a few I am looking at:

• Brandon Copeland for the Jets.  Their LB corps is decimated and right now he is the only guy left. 8 solos and 100% snaps look good and the time on the field should stay for the foreseeable future.
  • Jeffrey Simmons (Ten) for DT required leagues.  He is a beast and should only get better
  • Taylor Rapp (LAR) is getting in the box reps with John Johnson on IR.  Worth a shot now that they are done with their bye
  • Mack Wilson (Cle) has been gaining steam and on the field all the time with Kirksey on IR.  If the is still on waivers worth a pickup.
  • AJ Johnson (Den) had another solid game with 13 total tackles (6 solos).  It appears he has a 3 down spot in Denver.
  • Joe Walker (Ari) seems to have displaced Reddick at ILB.  Had a good game against SF.  Worth watching to see if it repeats.
  • Brennan Scarlett (Hou) might be worth a chance in big play scoring with Watt going down.  Had 2 sacks this week
  • Nate Gerry (Phi) is getting the snaps with Bradham out.  Good few weeks and might be worth an add. 
  • Harold Landry (Ten) in big play scoring he should be owned.  Might have some value in standard scoring with 30 solos and 6 sacks through 9 games.
  • Eric Harris (Oak) might be a fluke but he had 9 solos this week and hasn't had less than 4 since he has gotten significant play time starting in week 4
  • JPP (TB) just in case your league isn't paying attention and thought he still had a broken neck. 
  • Sean Lee (Dal) depending on how long LVE is out and how long Lee can stay healthy.
had another sack this week. i'm targeting him this week on WW,

My current CBs are both playing safety.  Demontee Kazee and Jalen Thompson, both CB on MFL, are starting at S for ATL and AZ.  

After his last week he will probably be a hot commodity but if by some chance your leaguemates think it was a fluke you may be able to jump on Maxx Crosby (Oak).  The guy has been really good all season and the production is finally hitting.  I would grab him quickly if he is still on the waiver wire. 

I wouldn't put a ton of stock into Shelby Harris' big stat line from last week.  The Vikes are susceptible up the middle from the DT.  It is one of their main o-line weaknessess.  Harris is a solid guy and probably has a place in DT required leagues but isn't a target for me just based on last weeks outburst. 

massraider said:
My current CBs are both playing safety.  Demontee Kazee and Jalen Thompson, both CB on MFL, are starting at S for ATL and AZ.  
Thx for bringing this point up. I've cooled on the idea of starting a free safety at CB, but that's based on my experience (small sample size) rather than broader evidence. Anyone looked at this more closely? (I'm still interested in Browns' strong safety Juston Burris tho. "CB" on MFL.)

Thx for bringing this point up. I've cooled on the idea of starting a free safety at CB, but that's based on my experience (small sample size) rather than broader evidence. Anyone looked at this more closely? (I'm still interested in Browns' strong safety Juston Burris tho. "CB" on MFL.)
I grabbed Kazee earlier in the season but didn't hold long. I think there needs to be a scoring differentiation (bump to CB tackles) in order to overcome the inconsistent tackle numbers of a FS. My leagues have those guys at 40+ overall or worse at CB, which puts them in matchup-streamer range, rather than must-start range. 

I grabbed Kazee earlier in the season but didn't hold long. I think there needs to be a scoring differentiation (bump to CB tackles) in order to overcome the inconsistent tackle numbers of a FS. My leagues have those guys at 40+ overall or worse at CB, which puts them in matchup-streamer range, rather than must-start range. 
last year he had lots of PD and INTs to go along with the tackles. this year not so much and i dropped him. that's not to say he can't get his mojo back down the back stretch here but seems unlikely to me.

Still short of 70% snap count, but Cole Holcomb has finally earned a blurb in the MFL news feed and is now noted as a player that "should be owned in all leagues as a high-end LB2" so, if you haven't already, this is probably your last chance to add him and you'll probably have competition.

Chad Thomas put together a solid total. Vernon was out so his snaps may have been inflated but he's a starting 4/3 DE, which isn't easy to come by in November.

Still short of 70% snap count, but Cole Holcomb has finally earned a blurb in the MFL news feed and is now noted as a player that "should be owned in all leagues as a high-end LB2" so, if you haven't already, this is probably your last chance to add him and you'll probably have competition.

Chad Thomas put together a solid total. Vernon was out so his snaps may have been inflated but he's a starting 4/3 DE, which isn't easy to come by in November.
I know he's a rookie and it's probably a bit much to expect a full time role for him this early (no matter how much I like him), but it's kind of maddening how his opportunity fluctuates from week to week. It's not like they have stud LBs around who deserve snaps over him. 

I am not really sure why he is getting the press now.  This last week he had 13 combined tackles but before that he hasn't topped 6 combined tackles since week 5 against the Patriots.  He seems like a decent potential but he is just a LB3/4 at this point for actual production.

Neville Hewitt is back and healthy for the NY Jets.  He  had an INT last week and is putting pressure on QB's still. In big play leagues that give credit for QB hits he is worth a pickup.   7 combined tackles, a pass defensed, and a QB hit this week.  I would prefer him over Holcomb if you have a choice. 

Where do y'all stand on Ziggy Ansah? My guess is that Clowney is back next week, and he turns back into a pumpkin. Rasheem Green outsnapped Ansah this week, so if I had to chase a Seahawk DE, it would be Green. I feel sure I'll be in the minority opinion here. Curious as to your feelings.

Where do y'all stand on Ziggy Ansah? My guess is that Clowney is back next week, and he turns back into a pumpkin. Rasheem Green outsnapped Ansah this week, so if I had to chase a Seahawk DE, it would be Green. I feel sure I'll be in the minority opinion here. Curious as to your feelings.
he's a bust as FA additions go. i'd roll with Green. Pete's all about production and Ziggy's been dog crap.

Depends what you are looking for.  If you want a guy for this week vs Minnesota I would look at the interior pass rush guys.  That is where the Vikes line is at it's weakest.  It has generally done well at keeping DE's off the QB but pressure up the middle is their weakness.  Quinten Jefferson, Poona Ford, or Jarran Reed (if he is healthy) would be a sneaky play this week - especially in DT required leagues.

I posted in the Box Safety thread as well but figured it should probably be listed here too.  Derwin James is designated to return and could play this week.  If he's on the waiver wire time to go get him.  I probably wait a week to see how he is used and looks before putting him in my lineup. 

Coming out of their bye week, the Chargers gave the highest LB snap count to Dru Tranquil 74%, followed Thomas Davis at 61%, Kyzir White 47%, Denzel Perryman 26%. 

Anyone watch this one? Were there in-game injuries? Otherwise, the snap count seems pretty telling for Tranquil.

Coming out of their bye week, the Chargers gave the highest LB snap count to Dru Tranquil 74%, followed Thomas Davis at 61%, Kyzir White 47%, Denzel Perryman 26%. 

Anyone watch this one? Were there in-game injuries? Otherwise, the snap count seems pretty telling for Tranquil.
I didn't watch, but note Tranquill's 100% snap count the week before his injury. Sure, part of that was because Perryman was injured (again), but I think the long term picture is becoming clear. Cutting Perryman comes with a $6.5m cap savings ($2m dead) and Thomas Davis is comparable ($5.25/$2). I'd guess keep the veteran Davis with plans on using him on run downs and Kyzir on pass downs. Give Tranquill the opening to a FT role and add day 3 competition with hopes of that competition taking Davis' roster spot in 2021.

None of that helps this year, but hopefully your options are strong enough so you aren't tempted to roll this roulette wheel anyway.

Definitely looks like a trend. If he started (which I can't find yet) that's more important than anything else. I'll be starting him in one leauge where LVE is hurt and Jamie Collins & Rashaan Evans have become unreliable. 

Definitely looks like a trend. If he started (which I can't find yet) that's more important than anything else. I'll be starting him in one leauge where LVE is hurt and Jamie Collins & Rashaan Evans have become unreliable. 
PFF reports Tranquill started the game, but I didn't watch.  PFF has starting LB as Tranquill, Davis, and White.  Own him in deep dynasty and my read is the same as Mac_32 above, this is all about next year.  But I suppose reasonable flier for the rest of 2019.  

Thanks. Probably starting for me if he's getting the start and snaps at ILB. Jamie Collins & Rashaan Evans have become wholly unreliable and LVE is hurt. 

Thomas Davis injured his knee fairly early on...wasn't watching too closely but he was down on the ground for awhile....surprised to hear his name called later in the game....I'd speculate he was out most of first half then came back after halftime.

I saw this morning that Ben Gedeon has been placed on IR by the Vikings. Not very consequential but it gives Eric Wilson a shot at a starting job for the rest of the season. Typically that position only plays around 50% of the snaps so it's likely nothing but Wilson produces at a high rate per snap whenever he's had an opportunity and there's a possibility they give him more time, even if it's not a full-time role. Maybe one to sneak on your roster before the game tonight if you have room and see how involved he is. He's also a RFA after this season so some possibility (if unlikely) that he gets a better opportunity elsewhere (if you're looking at dynasty stashes).

Good to see Tranquill trending well with snaps after the bye - he's probably startable as a LB3/4 the rest of the way and a strong dynasty stash. This week I'd imagine the top pickup will be Donald Payne, but will depend on how serious Jack's injury is obviously. I think he got a limited practice in last week so it may not be much, but you never know. Payne could be a nice pickup if Jack needs to miss more time. 

Tranquil lost a few snaps after he was flagged for roughing the punter. He was pissing and moaning on the sideline for a few plays then was back in.

KPL looking like a smart add if Roquan is a torn pec.

Kwiatkoski might still be on wires, too. He now has 3 strong games in a row but I was able to add him yesterday (and start him #humblebrag) despite the two prior performances. 

I am still holding out hope on Gerry from Phi.  Since Bradham came back Gerry's snaps have taken a hit but as a longer term possibility (next year) I think Gerry is worth a pick up and hold for next year.  He was all over the place (and much better than Bradham) when we was getting the snaps.  Hopefully the Eagles figure that out at some point.  I think it's worth a speculative pickup in dynasty.

KPL looking like a smart add if Roquan is a torn pec.

Kwiatkoski might still be on wires, too. He now has 3 strong games in a row but I was able to add him yesterday (and start him #humblebrag) despite the two prior performances. 
Kwit is a playing for a new contract. Danny T is, too, but years older. There is chatter here in Chicago about keeping Kwit, especially after some strong performances of late, instead of retaining Danny (who is probably looking for his last good contract). Kwit should be a definite dynasty hold. 

Users who are viewing this thread