What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scattegories - Overtakes Monopoly for best way to start a family fight (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
My family isn't too huge of a games family.  We used to be when I was younger with all my aunts and uncles.  And the competition was cutthroat.  

But now that I'm an adult, we really only play games when the family is around, which is in the summer or around the holidays.  We played a quick game this weekend with just my fam and my daughter's friends.  I'm awesome at this game.  Definitely like the Gretzky of Scattegories.  Some times too good, because I have to bust out the phone to show my word is correct.  Just the price I have to pay for being so smart and perfect.  It's a curse, really.  

Anyway, only a small argument this weekend, but it got me thinking about how this game brings out the worst (and by that, I mean the best) in my family's competitiveness.  So the issue this weekend was "Things at a gas station" and I said "Parts", as in car parts.  Because I'm thinking of the old style gas stations that had garages.  They vetoed it.  Keep in mind, that a mile from our house, there is an actual old school Sunoco gas station with no mini mart and garages... that you can buy parts in... like belts and hoses.  Anyway, not a huge deal.  

The greatest travesty occurred when I was playing at my parent's house with some of their neighbors.  Now, these neighbors had no idea of our competitive spirit.  But by the end of the night, I'm sure they were disgusted by how serious we took gaming, and my family wanted to punch them all in the baby makers.  There were many arguments of things that seemed so obvious, but we kept getting vetoed on our answers.  But this one was the ultimate:  The letter was B and the category was Heroes.  My dad put Batman.  Somehow, no one else did but as he went to take his point, the neighbors all said, "Actually, I'm going to have to argue that one."  We all thought she was joking.  But then the other neighbors all started to agree, because Batman's not real.  So Batman was vetoed as a Hero.  For what it's worth, the neighbor that vetoed it had Barrack Obama.  That went through with a positive vote. 

Anyone else play this game and have any ridiculous arguments that have come out of it?  I love hearing the stories of what's been voted down in this game.

Is Nyquil a beverage?
I would say no.  But I could also be swayed if argued correctly.  

I think that's the key.  There's a lot of stuff I think no to, but after someone makes an argument, I can be swayed.  

My family isn't too huge of a games family.  We used to be when I was younger with all my aunts and uncles.  And the competition was cutthroat.  

But now that I'm an adult, we really only play games when the family is around, which is in the summer or around the holidays.  We played a quick game this weekend with just my fam and my daughter's friends.  I'm awesome at this game.  Definitely like the Gretzky of Scattegories.  Some times too good, because I have to bust out the phone to show my word is correct.  Just the price I have to pay for being so smart and perfect.  It's a curse, really.  

Anyway, only a small argument this weekend, but it got me thinking about how this game brings out the worst (and by that, I mean the best) in my family's competitiveness.  So the issue this weekend was "Things at a gas station" and I said "Parts", as in car parts.  Because I'm thinking of the old style gas stations that had garages.  They vetoed it.  Keep in mind, that a mile from our house, there is an actual old school Sunoco gas station with no mini mart and garages... that you can buy parts in... like belts and hoses.  Anyway, not a huge deal.  

The greatest travesty occurred when I was playing at my parent's house with some of their neighbors.  Now, these neighbors had no idea of our competitive spirit.  But by the end of the night, I'm sure they were disgusted by how serious we took gaming, and my family wanted to punch them all in the baby makers.  There were many arguments of things that seemed so obvious, but we kept getting vetoed on our answers.  But this one was the ultimate:  The letter was B and the category was Heroes.  My dad put Batman.  Somehow, no one else did but as he went to take his point, the neighbors all said, "Actually, I'm going to have to argue that one."  We all thought she was joking.  But then the other neighbors all started to agree, because Batman's not real.  So Batman was vetoed as a Hero.  For what it's worth, the neighbor that vetoed it had Barrack Obama.  That went through with a positive vote. 

Anyone else play this game and have any ridiculous arguments that have come out of it?  I love hearing the stories of what's been voted down in this game.
Never played in a bigger group than five.  But, if these are the kinds of answers that get argued, I would never play again.

You people who fight over Monopoly play it wrong. Try playing by the actual rules and it's a fast game of strategy and luck. 
Yep. The "house rules" always derail any and all games.

I had to quit playing spades with one of my relatives because in their family you couldn't call Nil. 

In 5th grade I had a girlfriend nicknamed “Lips”.  Yeah, I was BMOC at the elementary school.  Her birthday was in the summer and I, the non money having 5th grader, asked my mom to buy her a necklace with heart pendant I saw at Walmart for a present. I might touch boob over the summer, gotta come hard with the bday gift!  Mom got the gift the day before party, wrapped it herself, and then I took with me the following day.  It was a strangely large box for a necklace, but my family loves to be silly with presents and place small things in large boxes to fool you for what might be inside.

The party was great, we danced (grinded, ground, whichever), kissed, had a great day.  Time to open presents!  All the kids gathered out in the garage where they had a pool table and ping-pong table.  She opened mine last, obviously.  I was leaning against the ping-pong table, playing it cool, waiting for the big reveal and our coming pronouncement of undying love between pre-teens.  The room went silent, awkward looks were shot my way.  The reveal was, well, Mom apparently decided my gift choice of heart pendant necklace was a little much for us youngin’s and she took it upon herself to get a more appropriate gift:  the game Scattergories!  The sense of disappointment from Lips was palpable, I was panicking inside and my body went into fight-or-flight mode.  I sneezed the largest sneeze ever and a massive, gross loogie landed on the ping-pong table.  Just then my brother showed up way too early to pick me up driving our family station wagon (AMC Concord, mustard yellow).  My body had chosen flight as my brother yelled “JUST RUN YOU IDIOT!”  I ran to the car and off we drove.  School zoning had Lips and I go to different middle schools after the summer, we never spoke again, even when we ended up at the same high school.

I hate that game Scattergories

How did people get in fights over Monopoly?  There's no judgment calls to argue over there, it's all cut and dry.

In 5th grade I had a girlfriend nicknamed “Lips”.  Yeah, I was BMOC at the elementary school.  Her birthday was in the summer and I, the non money having 5th grader, asked my mom to buy her a necklace with heart pendant I saw at Walmart for a present. I might touch boob over the summer, gotta come hard with the bday gift!  Mom got the gift the day before party, wrapped it herself, and then I took with me the following day.  It was a strangely large box for a necklace, but my family loves to be silly with presents and place small things in large boxes to fool you for what might be inside.

The party was great, we danced (grinded, ground, whichever), kissed, had a great day.  Time to open presents!  All the kids gathered out in the garage where they had a pool table and ping-pong table.  She opened mine last, obviously.  I was leaning against the ping-pong table, playing it cool, waiting for the big reveal and our coming pronouncement of undying love between pre-teens.  The room went silent, awkward looks were shot my way.  The reveal was, well, Mom apparently decided my gift choice of heart pendant necklace was a little much for us youngin’s and she took it upon herself to get a more appropriate gift:  the game Scattergories!  The sense of disappointment from Lips was palpable, I was panicking inside and my body went into fight-or-flight mode.  I sneezed the largest sneeze ever and a massive, gross loogie landed on the ping-pong table.  Just then my brother showed up way too early to pick me up driving our family station wagon (AMC Concord, mustard yellow).  My body had chosen flight as my brother yelled “JUST RUN YOU IDIOT!”  I ran to the car and off we drove.  School zoning had Lips and I go to different middle schools after the summer, we never spoke again, even when we ended up at the same high school.

I hate that game Scattergories
Looks like "Lips" and "loogie" will now work for "Things Found in a Garage".  

It doesn't say in the rules that a hero must be a real life person, does it?  If batman and superman aren't heroes, then punt.  

The key from here on out is to challenge everything, every single one, until they capitulate.

Petrol at a gas station? Nope! It's only refined petroleum, gasoline, there. Rejected! Barack Obama? Not a hero because he never got a medal/wore a badge/personally saved a life/etc. Out!

After six or seven rounds of the score zero to zero to zero to zero they'll all hate you and want to quit forever. Win-win-win!
This is the way my SIL plays.  And she's a lawyer, so she's good at convincing people of stupid things.  I don't remember what it was, but it was something like desserts and two people had two different flavored names of ice cream.  She convinced the others that they should cancel each other out because they were both ice creams.  So it was the same thing.  It was like someone had Cookies and Cream and someone had Chocolate.  And people vetoed them as duplicates!   :doh:

It eats away at me when my kids use articles for their words.  The letter is "T", the category is things found in a purse, their answer: the money, the wet wipes.  The two kids that use this strategy are only 11 and 8, so I'll allow it for now.  But once they're 12, hell nah.  I know the rules say no to this, but the wife's not much for rules. "It's all about having fun."

This is the way my SIL plays.  And she's a lawyer, so she's good at convincing people of stupid things.  I don't remember what it was, but it was something like desserts and two people had two different flavored names of ice cream.  She convinced the others that they should cancel each other out because they were both ice creams.  So it was the same thing.  It was like someone had Cookies and Cream and someone had Chocolate.  And people vetoed them as duplicates!   :doh:
double points

Never played in a bigger group than five.  But, if these are the kinds of answers that get argued, I would never play again.
My wife's family would spend hours arguing every answer if you let them. Her cousin is the worst and will argue even the dumbest answers. Now the player in question gets the opportunity to make one statement and then it immediately goes to a countdown (3, 2, 1, GO) and everyone either gives a thumbs-up or thumbs-down and that's the end of it.

It eats away at me when my kids use articles for their words.  The letter is "T", the category is things found in a purse, their answer: the money, the wet wipes.  The two kids that use this strategy are only 11 and 8, so I'll allow it for now.  But once they're 12, hell nah.  I know the rules say no to this, but the wife's not much for rules. "It's all about having fun."
There aren't many rules, but Scattegories clearly points out that articles are not acceptable.  It's written on every players card.

My wife's family would spend hours arguing every answer if you let them. Her cousin is the worst and will argue even the dumbest answers. Now the player in question gets the opportunity to make one statement and then it immediately goes to a countdown (3, 2, 1, GO) and everyone either gives a thumbs-up or thumbs-down and that's the end of it.
Are you part of my family?  :confused:

Have you ever played Codenames? Wife's family almost had a throw-down over it last Thanksgiving. Fun game.
No.  Never heard of it.  We usually just play Scattegories or Balderdash.  My family is competitive, and we all think we're the Kings of Comedy.

Go for the gusto: Porsche Panamera powertrain parts
Our rule is you can't throw unnecessary adjectives in front of the word.  So you could say car parts, but not cheap car parts.  This is one of the few rules that we all agree on and if someone tries to circumvent it, even they will acknowledge it's a no no.

pneumatic tools

Got into one pretty good argument playing this game.  The category was Sandwiches and the letter was S.  Someone chose Subway and I chose submarine.  They are NOT the same thing! :angry:    I died on that hill.

pneumatic tools

Got into one pretty good argument playing this game.  The category was Sandwiches and the letter was S.  Someone chose Subway and I chose submarine.  They are NOT the same thing! :angry:    I died on that hill.
Wait.  They said those cancelled out?  :confused:

My wife and I got into this weekend over the Sandwich category.  The letter was D and I put Dagwood.  She put Dogwood.  I said, what's a Dogwood sandwich.  And she was like, you know.  Blondie and Dogwood.   I said it's Dagwood and that's what I have.  So she said they cancelled each other out.  I took my point, damnit. 

Sounds like a lot of fun.

This whole thread reminds me of why I hate playing games with family.  The only game we can play as a family (I'm talking extended family, my parents, siblings, and our kids, total of 20 or so ranging from grade school to grandparents) is Guesstures (it's a sharades game with easy clues and a timer).  Unfortunately we have played it so many times we have all memorized clues for most of the answers.  The only time it is fun is when I can get my mom to drink before we play and she starts making unintentionally suggestive clues in front of her teenage grandchildren.  Yes, that happened.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

This whole thread reminds me of why I hate playing games with family.  The only game we can play as a family (I'm talking extended family, my parents, siblings, and our kids, total of 20 or so ranging from grade school to grandparents) is Guesstures (it's a sharades game with easy clues and a timer).  Unfortunately we have played it so many times we have all memorized clues for most of the answers.  The only time it is fun is when I can get my mom to drink before we play and she starts making unintentionally suggestive clues in front of her teenage grandchildren.  Yes, that happened.
My family has a blast arguing.  It's not mean spirited.  It's just competitive.  I love playing Scattegories with the fam. 

My family plays Cards Against Humanity on holidays.  Nothing like some of those card combos on Easter.  Just like Jesus would have wanted it.

Yes.  I didn't think I would even have to defend that one.  They argued a Subway sandwich was a submarine sandwich.  I asked why the store wasn't named Submarine?
That is correct.  So should people who listed Quiznos, Jimmy Johns, etc all get points?  They are all subs...No point for you.  Sorry.  :lmao:

My family has a blast arguing.  It's not mean spirited.  It's just competitive.  I love playing Scattegories with the fam. 
My family argues all the time as well, unfortunately though not everyone takes it the same way.

The biological men in my family (my dad, me and my brother, my boys, my nephews) are all super competitive, love to play games to win, love to argue about rules, etc.  Take no prisoners.

My mom and sister just want everyone to have fun, and if someone argued their answer, they would take it personal and get hurt.

My sister's family is a bunch of wusses and don't like to compete.  The first sign of someone giving the appearance of caring about winning and they check out.

It's a mess, yet every big family get together and a mixed bag of the above still insist on getting some sort of game together.  I refuse, head to the basement and take on all comers in ping pong.  You can't argue about rules or blame anyone else when you lose to me.

My family plays Cards Against Humanity on holidays.  Nothing like some of those card combos on Easter.  Just like Jesus would have wanted it.
Play with your 19 yr old daughter and her boyfriend with all your couple friends.  It can get a  little awkward at times......

Play with your 19 yr old daughter and her boyfriend with all your couple friends.  It can get a  little awkward at times......
Got my son, who is a big Office fan, an Office version of cards against humanity for his birthday.  Was a little disappointed when he refused to play with us.  He said two of his friends got him the real version last year, but he keeps it at another friends house to play there.  He won't bring it home to play with us.  :kicksrock:

Got my son, who is a big Office fan, an Office version of cards against humanity for his birthday.  Was a little disappointed when he refused to play with us.  He said two of his friends got him the real version last year, but he keeps it at another friends house to play there.  He won't bring it home to play with us.  :kicksrock:
I am not sure who was more embarrassed when we played.  I think the boyfriend was the most cautious.  Everyone else had a great time pushing the envelop to make them uncomfortable.  It was actually a great time. 

WDIK2 said:
Those people wouldn't get any points because they don't start with S.  ;)  
Right.  If those people could have convinced others for a point when the letter was S, they might be the strongest Scattegories players ever.

People just take points they feel they deserve anyway, right? (or is that just me?  :bag: )

Does anybody actually check the sheets and the math at the end of the game?

People just take points they feel they deserve anyway, right? (or is that just me?  :bag: )

Does anybody actually check the sheets and the math at the end of the game?
So I usually don't, but if I'm feeling like I'm being unfairly judged, I'll concede the argument and still take the point.  Now, my brother hasn't learned this and will always get to a point where he says, "I don't care what you guys say.  I'm taking the point."  So when he lists his number, we subtract 1 point.  I'd say maybe he's adding two points to counter us, but I feel like if he's dumb enough to announce it, he's not smart enough to counter it. :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread