What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vote Blue No Matter Who (1 Viewer)

?

• I will

Votes: 105 56.8%
  • Depends... explain

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • I'll vote for my favorite candidate only

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Trump 2020

Votes: 31 16.8%

• Total voters

Max Power

Footballguy
The VBNMW movement is likely a backstop for some here. I'm seeing more and more liberal outlets condemning the idea. I thought it was a forgone conclusion for most but wanted to get the boards view.

In principle it seems like a bad idea, but if it can move the country forward, it's not the worst thing.

It would take a lot for me to not vote D the next couple of years.

But that doesn't mean any D has a blank check.  If they're a terrible person, no way i'd vote for them.  I'd vote R over a bad D.  But an average to good D will get my vote for the next few years.

Not fully no.

President...yes.  Without a doubt.

Everything else...mostly barring a truely bad person running.

That is because of how I feel completely put off by today's GOP

I’ve actually reached this conclusion but it has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with two issues: 

1. Climate change. 

2. Gun control. 

I can’t accept the Republican position on these issues. So until either those positions change or we are progress, I will vote Democrat down the line. 

If it wasn't already obvious that "Blue No Matter Who" really means "Establishment or Bust" Joe Manchin said this week he wouldn't endorse Bernie if he was the nominee and hardly anyone batted an eye.

For me, I'm 100% in on Sanders. 100% out on Biden. Liz or Pete or would have to convince me.

Trump is not an option. If I'm not voting D it would be third party or abstain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume we're talking 2020 presidential only.

This summer I wrote in some thread that I was blue unless it was Warren in which I would abstain from voting that race.   I've changed my mind in recent months and decided that I would hold my nose and vote for Warren if it comes to that.

I assume "I will vote for my favorite candidate only", means, like, for example,  "Bernie or bust".  Am I mistaken?

I assumed the poll meant voting blue down the line, in which case I said it depends.  I don't support Trump, his apologists, or all of the baggage that comes with it.   I will vote for a republican in the right circumstances though.  Yesterday, I voted for a republican to serve on our city council - A good, decent, level-headed guy with lots of experience.  He got walloped by the young, hispanic democrat touting climate change as his big issue.

Since Trump 2020 is a choice, I assume this is for president only. If not, my No is even stronger. People don't get my vote based soley on party affiliation.No blank check, as Adonis said.

Since Trump 2020 is a choice, I assume this is for president only. If not, my No is even stronger. People don't get my vote based soley on party affiliation.No blank check, as Adonis said.
Out of the top 10 or so Democrats still in the race (ones that arguably might have a non-zero chance), which ones would you not vote for?

I will vote for any Dem candidate for President.

I will vote for a Dem representative and Senator in 2020.  (I really don't like Andy Barr or Mitch McConnell)

Local elections - I'm more about the candidate than the party.

I will not "vote blue no matter who", but I will not vote for anyone currently associated with the GOP.  If you're on a GOP party line on my local ballot, you will not be getting my vote in this current political climate, full stop.  I might not vote for the D candidate, but I am definitely not voting for the R candidate.

Out of the top 10 or so Democrats still in the race (ones that arguably might have a non-zero chance), which ones would you not vote for?
As an overriding principle, no one gets my vote based on party affiliation.  have a year to potentially get on board, but Warren and Sanders are tough sells to me now. I haven't thought to the bottom half because it probably won't matter

As an overriding principle, no one gets my vote based on party affiliation.  have a year to potentially get on board, but Warren and Sanders are tough sells to me now. I haven't thought to the bottom half because it probably won't matter
Actually, the early leaders for a non-incumbent Dem presidential candidate are typically not who winds up with the nomination.

It could realistically be a choice between Booker and Harris at the wire.

I think I misunderstood the question when I voted.

I will vote for any of the current democratic candidates for president over Trump, easily.

I will not vote for any democrat for any position just because they are a democrat.

I thought we were talking about the latter so I voted the 3rd option but it sounds like that vote should be moved to the 1st one.

I can't advocate voting Democratic ticket regardless.  However, I can't see any scenario I can ever vote Republican...at least any Republican who wasn't a vocal critic of the current administration, which leaves...

That will be my litmus test probably for the next 20 years - did you vocally oppose Trump in 2019,  did you stand idly by, or did you fully support?  Goes for Democrats, Republicans, and all shades in-between.

I can't see voting for a Republican in 2020. Maybe if I were in Will Hurd's district - but of course he is retiring. 

But the last thing I would want to do is give the national GOP any more power right now. 

As for local - well, I live in Austin. We don't have any Republicans on the ballot.

Would consider voting for Sanders if he came around on Assange and renounced the Cold War 2.0 stuff.  I just found this so disappointing.  Perhaps Gabbard too. I don’t think it’d much matter what I do in KY anyway. Wouldn’t bother with the others.  

Would consider voting for Sanders if he came around on Assange and renounced the Cold War 2.0 stuff.  I just found this so disappointing.  Perhaps Gabbard too. I don’t think it’d much matter what I do in KY anyway. Wouldn’t bother with the others.  
Would you consider voting for Trump or are you likely a 3rd party voter (or a non-voter)?

I’ve actually reached this conclusion but it has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with two issues: 

1. Climate change. 

2. Gun control. 

I can’t accept the Republican position on these issues. So until either those positions change or we are progress, I will vote Democrat down the line. 
This is a similar approach to several people I know who vote R down the line because of two issues: abortion and the 2nd amendment.

Sorry, but I vote for the best candidate.  Will I most likely vote Dem in the next election most likely.. However, locally there are a lot of great Dems and Reps candidates that do what what's best for the local community.

Personally I am against straight ticket voting, since I have yet to find an election where there is not one great candidate on the other side.

I assumed the poll meant voting blue down the line, in which case I said it depends.  I don't support Trump, his apologists, or all of the baggage that comes with it.   I will vote for a republican in the right circumstances though.  Yesterday, I voted for a republican to serve on our city council - A good, decent, level-headed guy with lots of experience.  He got walloped by the young, hispanic democrat touting climate change as his big issue.
And, after all, climate change is a huge issue which can only be addressed by the powers or, and with the cooperation of City Council.  Who wants them working on roads, water and light systems, public safety, emergency response, parks and rec, planning and zoning matters when they can work on climate change.  What could fall more squarely within their purview.

Sorry, but I vote for the best candidate.  Will I most likely vote Dem in the next election most likely.. However, locally there are a lot of great Dems and Reps candidates that do what what's best for the local community.

Personally I am against straight ticket voting, since I have yet to find an election where there is not one great candidate on the other side.
Our experience is different, I struggle to find any marginally acceptable candidates on either side or in third parties.  You are indeed fortunate with the choices you have been presented.

Can you provide a link please?
Anyone that says the ‘first job is to get Trump out’.  That means voting is an obligation, and that voting against Trump is more operative than exercising any thought about what the person actually stands for.

Would you consider voting for Trump or are you likely a 3rd party voter (or a non-voter)?
No, I wouldn’t vote for Trump.  I would prefer that an establishment democrat loses to Trump, or that an antiwar progressive beats him, because I think it would further augment a real populist movement in this country, but I wouldn’t vote for him.  There’s actually no one running that I’m all that jazzed about supporting, but I’m keeping an open mind.  

This is a similar approach to several people I know who vote R down the line because of two issues: abortion and the 2nd amendment.
Yes. I've never had this POV before but I do now. I am pro-choice on abortion, but I have voted for both pro-choice and pro-life candidates in the past and would do so in the future.

But with regard to gun control, it is the Republican attitude that has forced me into this position. If they were willing to bend at all, seek any kind of compromise, then I'd be OK with it. But they simply block every proposal, no matter what.

I will not "vote blue no matter who", but I will not vote for anyone currently associated with the GOP.  If you're on a GOP party line on my local ballot, you will not be getting my vote in this current political climate, full stop.  I might not vote for the D candidate, but I am definitely not voting for the R candidate.
This is where I’m at and I’m a registered republican. 

If it wasn't already obvious that "Blue No Matter Who" really means "Establishment or Bust"
Yeah, non-establishment candidates really scare me. They're typically awful IMO. But I would vote for Bernie over Trump if that were the choice. Hopefully it won't be. We need to move away from non-establishment candidates if we can.

https://youtu.be/wWaLThagwtk

Jimmy Dore on the issue.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/08/06/blue-no-matter-who-lesser-evilism-in-the-age-of-trump/

Article on the lesser of two evil voting.

A summary of Dore's comments is that Trump is a symptom of a problem. A vote for Biden is only more of the same and the GOP could run another trump like candidate in 2024 and win because the Ds are voting based on hate and not policy. 
Ds are voting based on hate? With such a large electorate, it's probably possible to find people voting based on hate but I wouldn't think that's a significant percentage in the D camp. Unless you're using "hate" to encompass people who just think Trump's deviation from accepted norms are institutionally bad for our country, those who disagree with his policy positions, those who feel he is too temperamental to reliably execute the office's duties, etc. Is that what you meant?

Jimmy Dore on the issue.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/08/06/blue-no-matter-who-lesser-evilism-in-the-age-of-trump/

A summary of Dore's comments is that Trump is a symptom of a problem. A vote for Biden is only more of the same and the GOP could run another trump like candidate in 2024 and win because the Ds are voting based on hate and not policy. 
I don't really understand that position.  Republicans have refused to use the Senate to engage in policy on any real level whatsoever - hundreds of bills just tabled and never brought for debate.  Democrats are pushing policy like crazy.  What policy are the Republicans bringing to the table on really any front?  What was the last policy proposal - not just a tweet that said "We will have the best healthcare!" but a real policy proposal - that came out of the Republicans and sounded like a good idea at all?

Can you provide a link please?

Jimmy Dore on the issue.

You said that "liberal outlets [were] condemning the idea".

Neither Jimmy Dore nor Professor Nasser are really "outlets", though. One is a comedian, the other is a retiree. I'm not even sure if Nasser is liberal -- he doesn't identify as such in his editorial.

And Nasser didn't so much as condemn the idea as point out logical flaws in it.

Jimmy Dore on the issue.

I kind of like Dore as I find him entertaining- that last sentence is ridiculous though.  Climate change, gun control, M4A, immigration issues, on and on and on.  Both sides don’t lack for policy - it’s just both sides hate the policy of the other right now (or mislabel it) and there’s definitely a lot of hate towards Trump.

"I'm seeing more and more left-wing comedians and retired college professors condemning the idea" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though.

I've voted and will vote for either side in local and state races, but I cannot bring myself to automatically vote Democratic in 2020 yet. I do know that I am in no way voting for Trump, that much is certain.

And, after all, climate change is a huge issue which can only be addressed by the powers or, and with the cooperation of City Council.  Who wants them working on roads, water and light systems, public safety, emergency response, parks and rec, planning and zoning matters when they can work on climate change.  What could fall more squarely within their purview.
So narrow-minded.  How can you discount programs that call for printing on two sides of the page, encouraging bike to work programs for city employees, dimming the lights at meetings, and passing heartfelt resolutions?

Only dem I will vote for is Biden, otherwise independent.
What do you mean by "independent"?  I thought I recall you saying Biden was your first choice and Trump was your second.  Maybe I don't remember this correctly?  Are there other Democrats you'd consider over Trump?

Bernie or Tulsi, yes... Liz Maybe, everyone else probably voting Green again

Truly voting blue no matter who gives them free reign to go as right as they want on behalf of their donors. Even if we intend on voting for the eventual Dem nominee we should hold their feet to the fire at least a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread