Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
eoMMan

HOT TAKE - Should non-parents pay less property taxes than parents?

4 hours ago, eoMMan said:

People from South America and Central America would try to cross into "our" southern Mexico border.

Talk about moving the goalposts.

19 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Some gym teachers in our county make $100K+ to work 9 months of the year.  It's all based on time of service.  Plus pension.  And they ##### about it.  How hard is it to tell a kid to run around the track and do a 2 week lesson on Family Planning or whatever it's called?   Most of them look worse than Rosie O'Donnell.

My history teacher made over $100K in 1986.    In our county you can look up their salaries.

I feel fortunate my kids teachers have come from Duke, Stanford, and other great schools.  That's why I live here, so I don't have to pay for private schools.  I'm told most of them make in the $150k range, and that's again for part of a year.  I feel that's worth it for the ones teaching Calc, Econ, Stats, Chem, and other tough courses.  Not so much when they are teaching gym  jouranlism, etc.  I mean the drama teacher is making as much as the Calc teacher.  Seems dumb to me.  I could get anyone to teach gym or some artsy crap.

Get a load of a Steven A. Smith over here!  Sizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzling hot takes!

4 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Some gym teachers in our county make $100K+ to work 9 months of the year.  It's all based on time of service.  Plus pension.  And they ##### about it.  How hard is it to tell a kid to run around the track and do a 2 week lesson on Family Planning or whatever it's called?   Most of them look worse than Rosie O'Donnell.

My history teacher made over $100K in 1986.    In our county you can look up their salaries.

I feel fortunate my kids teachers have come from Duke, Stanford, and other great schools.  That's why I live here, so I don't have to pay for private schools.  I'm told most of them make in the $150k range, and that's again for part of a year.  I feel that's worth it for the ones teaching Calc, Econ, Stats, Chem, and other tough courses.  Not so much when they are teaching gym  jouranlism, etc.  I mean the drama teacher is making as much as the Calc teacher.  Seems dumb to me.  I could get anyone to teach gym or some artsy crap.

Again, this is not normal.

18 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

We should offer free passage for the Canadian military to do it. Let them move down through the US unimpeded and let them invade Mexico and take it over to manage. 

Americans aren't sufficiently motivated to solve this problem. Canada wouldn't mind having a few beaches and warm weather once in a while, so they'd have incentive. 

Plus then Trudeau could wear brownface too.

And then when they're down there, we take over Canada, too?  I like your style of thinking.  We could conquer this entire hemisphere by 2026 leaving another 6 years for President Kanye West to focus on more important things.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

HOT TAKE

Is it time the US just goes into Mexico, overthrows the government, clears out the cartels and turns Mexico into the 51st state?  We'd solve the drug crisis and the immigration crisis all in one fell swoop.  No one would be trying to cross the border and they could live where they are now but with the benefits of being Americans.

Even if I gave you the immigration thing how does overthrowing Mexico fix our drug crisis?  I'm shuked.

Edited by AAABatteries

18 hours ago, Brunell4MVP said:

What city?  What are living expenses there?

Seems some cities have inflated salaries due to geography.  Those are called outliers.

Edited by ghostguy123

22 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

HOT TAKE

Is it time the US just goes into Mexico, overthrows the government, clears out the cartels and turns Mexico into the 51st state?  We'd solve the drug crisis and the immigration crisis all in one fell swoop.  No one would be trying to cross the border and they could live where they are now but with the benefits of being Americans.

Would also solve the crisis in the US Soccer program.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Even if I gave you the immigration thing how does overthrowing Mexico fix our drug crisis?  I'm shuked.

Because we eliminate the cartels like we did with AQ and ISIS.

Some towns have a Fire Service fee.

Someone chose to opt out of the Fire Service fee saying they felt it was unnecessary.

Then their house caught on fire and then proceeded to burn down because since they didn't pay the fee they get no fire trucks.

I think then they tried to sue :lmao:

10 minutes ago, belljr said:

Someone chose to opt out of the Fire Service fee saying they felt it was unnecessary.

Then their house caught on fire and then proceeded to burn down because since they didn't pay the fee they get no fire trucks.

Well, homeowners insurance covers fire loss, right?

On 11/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, TheIronSheik said:

Then we liberate those countries, too. :shrug:

It's time to unite the Americas. 

It worked so well for so many conquistadors. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, belljr said:

So if that was a community with small lots where there's risk of the fire spreading to the houses that paid the fee, do the trucks still show up and just put out any fire that spreads?  Do they still rescue people trapped inside?   How is this even an option?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

So if that was a community with small lots where there's risk of the fire spreading to the houses that paid the fee, do the trucks still show up and just put out any fire that spreads?  Do they still rescue people trapped inside?   How is this even an option?  

I'll dig it up but they did come and contain the fire from spreading to a paid home

• Laughing 1

Firefighters did eventually show up, but only to fight the fire on the neighboring property, whose owner had paid the fee.

Story: 'No pay, no spray' case: Firefighters 'threatened'

"They put water out on the fence line out here. They never said nothing to me. Never acknowledged. They stood out here and watched it burn," Cranick said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/#.XcxOI_k3mqo

https://www.firehouse.com/operations-training/news/10472820/tennessee-fire-department-watches-house-burn-again

2 hours ago, -OZ- said:

It's time to unite the Americas. 

It worked so well for so many conquistadors. 

One of the up sides to taking over the hemisphere and calling it all America is, when Iran protesters scream "Death to America!", the hate will be a lot more distributed amongst the larger population, less hurting everyone's feelings that much less.  I mean, that alone is worth invading Mexico tomorrow, IMO.

13 minutes ago, belljr said:

Firefighters did eventually show up, but only to fight the fire on the neighboring property, whose owner had paid the fee.

Story: 'No pay, no spray' case: Firefighters 'threatened'

"They put water out on the fence line out here. They never said nothing to me. Never acknowledged. They stood out here and watched it burn," Cranick said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/#.XcxOI_k3mqo

https://www.firehouse.com/operations-training/news/10472820/tennessee-fire-department-watches-house-burn-again

I wonder what happens if someone is in the building and needs rescue?  I mean, they can't just leave them to die, right?  Save the person, leave the house to burn, and maybe send a bill for the rescue?  Just so weird.  But honestly, if you chose not to pay taxes for the fire company, you deserve to have your house burn to the ground.

4 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Because we eliminate the cartels like we did with AQ and ISIS.

and like we did with moonshiners.

2 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

and like we did with moonshiners.

We needed to keep them because Discovery had an hour hole in their schedule that needed filling.   Same reason we haven't cracked down on King Crab fishing. 

Teaching is one profession that has not appreciably improved their productivity in an era where productivity soared across all other industries.  

We arm teachers with technology, but we still feel threatened with class sizes of more than 20.  A class size of 50 is normal in much of the world, yet we look at our failing grades and education rank and just throw more money at more teachers instead of finding fewer elite teachers than can manage a larger workload with the technology available.  

I really enjoyed the one poster's theory awhile back that said that the liberation of women in the workforce has really cause the applicant pool of teachers to take a hit.  

49 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Teaching is one profession that has not appreciably improved their productivity in an era where productivity soared across all other industries.  

We arm teachers with technology, but we still feel threatened with class sizes of more than 20.  A class size of 50 is normal in much of the world, yet we look at our failing grades and education rank and just throw more money at more teachers instead of finding fewer elite teachers than can manage a larger workload with the technology available.  

I get the argument, but I think pointing the finger at teachers is primarily misdirected hostility. Sure, there are outliers; there always are. The source of the problem you're referring to in those 4 walls is rooted in teach to the test culture, which stems from pressure from primarily non-educators. The bigger problem is outside those 4 walls (parents) though. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but more money is not being thrown at this problem. Money's been getting cut for years. Again, there are outliers; it isn't the norm though.

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

It isnt too many kids, it's too many bad ### kids in classes because parenting has become exponentially worse over time.

2 hours ago, NutterButter said:

I really enjoyed the one poster's theory awhile back that said that the liberation of women in the workforce has really cause the applicant pool of teachers to take a hit.  

Is this not true?  

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

It isnt too many kids, it's too many bad ### kids in classes because parenting has become exponentially worse over time.

What's your evidence for this?

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I get the argument, but I think pointing the finger at teachers is primarily misdirected hostility. Sure, there are outliers; there always are. The source of the problem you're referring to in those 4 walls is rooted in teach to the test culture, which stems from pressure from primarily non-educators. The bigger problem is outside those 4 walls (parents) though. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but more money is not being thrown at this problem. Money's been getting cut for years. Again, there are outliers; it isn't the norm though.

It's not directed at teachers it's at the expectation, of all of us.  I would rather have one good teacher teaching 40 kids than one #### teacher teaching 20 and the other 20 getting the better experience.  Yet we do nothing but push back on class sizes, I mean I'm just as guilty as the next person of this, but it's something that is obviously broken in our system.  

• Thinking 1

Teachers are instructed to basically never kick a kid out of class.  So, the teachers have to cater to the needs to the worst few which just brings down the whole dang thing.  

There are a dozen problems causing our issues in school, and "bad teachers" is not one of them.  There have always been bad teachers, and there will always be bad teachers, just like any profession.  

Other countries arent kicking our butts in academics because they magically have better teachers.

Edited by ghostguy123
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Is this not true?  

I think there's a lot of truth to it.   Of all the theories from class size, parental involvement, kids diet, exercise, screen time, funding, I think this one has the most merit.   

23 minutes ago, culdeus said:

It's not directed at teachers it's at the expectation, of all of us.  I would rather have one good teacher teaching 40 kids than one #### teacher teaching 20 and the other 20 getting the better experience.  Yet we do nothing but push back on class sizes, I mean I'm just as guilty as the next person of this, but it's something that is obviously broken in our system.  

Do they get double the salary or at least a significant bump?  Sounds like some jobs I've had where they give you a "promotion" that involves a lot more responsibility and a little more salary.  

Edited by NutterButter

5 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Do they get double the salary or at least a significant bump?  Sounds like some jobs I've had where they give you a "promotion" that involves a lot more responsibility and a little more salary.  

If the goal is to attract the best doing this while reducing headcount is one way of doing it.  Double is a bit extreme though considering the productivity gains vs salary gains in other sectors.  

10 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Teachers are instructed to basically never kick a kid out of class.  So, the teachers have to cater to the needs to the worst few which just brings down the whole dang thing.  

There are a dozen problems causing our issues in school, and "bad teachers" is not one of them.  There have always been bad teachers, and there will always be bad teachers, just like any profession.  

Other countries arent kicking our butts in academics because they magically have better teachers.

This sounds like an expectation issue.  We don't expect good behavior.  Therefore class sizes remain small.   Fix this. 

Gym or some artsy crap? LOL. Gym I can get behind but putting on high quality school plays is a massive undertaking.

1 minute ago, culdeus said:

If the goal is to attract the best doing this while reducing headcount is one way of doing it.  Double is a bit extreme though considering the productivity gains vs salary gains in other sectors.  

Might have something to do with why so many people are struggling in this country which I'd imagine has some affect on the role they play as parents.  

54 minutes ago, culdeus said:

This sounds like an expectation issue.  We don't expect good behavior.  Therefore class sizes remain small.   Fix this. 

That makes no sense.  Fix what?  Expectation issue?  Wtf are you talking about?

Edited by ghostguy123

4 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

It makes perfect sense. Good luck executing a plan of action though. Because of the problem you cited before.

And around and around we go...

2 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Fix socialized education.  If kids simply can't stay with the system send them somewhere else, this whole bring up the worst kid system blows. For everyone.  Australia has a model system.    Not every kid needs to be groomed for college so stop acting like it.   

12 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Fix socialized education.  If kids simply can't stay with the system send them somewhere else, this whole bring up the worst kid system blows. For everyone.  Australia has a model system.    Not every kid needs to be groomed for college so stop acting like it.   

Basic math, reading and writing is not grooming for college...

It's why schools have different tracks

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Are you talking about the teachers or the system now??  No idea how what you are saying here fits into what we were discussing earlier.

Edited by ghostguy123

44 minutes ago, belljr said:

Basic math, reading and writing is not grooming for college...

It's why schools have different tracks

Yeah, but you can't on one hand say "schools teach to the test" then in the next point say "schools have tracks" 

Anyways this is a stupid tangent I got on when we have people saying that we shouldn't pay taxes to schools if you don't have kids, which is a whole nother level of crazy.

Generally speaking:

Poor performing schools teach to the test due to means of survival. 

Strong performing schools have different tracks because they don't need to teach to the test. Their students will be successful anyway. Instead they can focus on what schools should be doing, maximizing development. 

Cut funding and you're more likely to be the former than the latter.