Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheIronSheik

Polos - For work

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

What finks said. Are there that many of you here wearing those abominations? And DDT o they really make them in long sleeve? Just buy some nice dress shirts and maybe some nice camps or guyabaras for casual.

#### yes. 

guyaberas with a pork pie hat, a cigar, some leather sandals and linen pants. it's a classic look at most of your midwestern office places.

  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WDIK2 said:

I didn't know this was such a problem.  :oldunsure:  Maybe it's because I buy large but am more M/L size and don't notice or just happen to buy the right synthetic.  :shrug:  I always wash them in cold water.

It's a huge problem.  It's like the biggest complaints of polos.  There are entire companies based around the fact that their polos don't shrink.  They also cost $100 each.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

It's a huge problem.  It's like the biggest complaints of polos.  There are entire companies based around the fact that their polos don't shrink.  They also cost $100 each.  

The one I'm wearing now was from Walmart 2-3 years ago for ~$15.  It's tagless but I want to see what's it made of.  I wear company provided polos quite a bit, but they are higher quality and don't shrink for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WDIK2 said:

The one I'm wearing now was from Walmart 2-3 years ago for ~$15.  It's tagless but I want to see what's it made of.  I wear company provided polos quite a bit, but they are higher quality and don't shrink for me.

But that's the issue, GB.  I have some that are probably 10 years old that look brand new.  And I probably bought them at Kohl's for $15.  And I have some that were $90 that lasted one wash.  The problem is it seems like I get 1 good one for every 7 I buy.  It's just so strange.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WDIK2 said:

 I always wash them in cold water.

exactly. helps save the color too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

 And I have some that were $90 that lasted one wash.

Depending on the fabric and washing instructions on the label ... expensive polos can be easier to ruin. Price doesn't correlate with durability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

What finks said. Are there that many of you here wearing those abominations? And DDT o they really make them in long sleeve? Just buy some nice dress shirts and maybe some nice camps or guyabaras for casual.

Who wants to wear dress shirts? And who wants to wear long sleeves? No thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Threads like this make me like my job a little more.  During the summer I wear SHORTS and a polo M-Th and then usually a t-shirt with shorts come "casual Friday".

I'm a polo junkie too, and absolutely love Criquet Shirts ... a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to recommend Van Heusen.  They have cotton and the non cotton type.  I have a few of the non cotton golf shirt types and they have held up well and were affordable.  They have good selections at their outlet stores. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mr. furley said:

#### yes. 

guyaberas with a pork pie hat, a cigar, some leather sandals and linen pants. it's a classic look at most of your midwestern office places.

Fair point. A guy who rarely puts on pants and closed toed shoes probably shouldn't dispense fashion advice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polos and khakis at work?  Do you guys all have goatees and work in IT too?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

So like most of us, my office is a business casual setting, which means 98% of the time I'm wearing a Polo shirt.  Summer it's short sleeved, winter it's long sleeved.  But I am always having issues finding Polos that don't shrink 3 sizes after the first wash.  At first I thought it was because I was buying cheap ones.  So I bit the bullet and bought some high end ones.  And they shrank too.  For the most part, it seems like about 80% of the Polos I buy are given to charities after wearing them once.  

But because they are for work and I don't care about style too much, I'm looking for cheap Polos.  Every so often, I find some good ones at Kohl's that are like $20 and haven't shrunk in 5 years.  But I'm wondering if anyone else has found a reliable, cheap Polo shirt.  Any recommendations?  Really don't want to pay too much for them since I need a lot.  

Show me what you got!!!

A little more expensive but worth it for the snake :style: 

 https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/ready-to-wear-for-men/t-shirts-and-polos-for-men/cotton-polo-with-kingsnake-embroidery-p-408323X73321410

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shuke said:

Polos and khakis at work?  Do you guys all have goatees and work in IT too?

No. :angry:  I quit working in IT two years ago.  :oldunsure:  Not shaving the goatee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shuke said:

Polos and khakis at work?  Do you guys all have goatees and work in IT too?

It's casual Friday today so I get to wear my camo print cargo shorts with some crocs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it’s where they are made.  only buy vietnamese made shirts.  sri lanka too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shuke said:

Polos and khakis at work?  Do you guys all have goatees and work in IT too?

No and yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

it’s where they are made.  only buy vietnamese made shirts.  sri lanka too.  

Worst.  Sequel.  Ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, coyote5 said:

You're a FBG, shoot the lock off your wallet and buy some non-cotton golf polos from Nike or Under Armour etc.  They do not shrink.

This. I own tons of polos that never shrink. 
 

Seems cheaper to spend $30-40 one time than buying $20 polos multiple times :shrug:  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mr roboto said:

This. I own tons of polos that never shrink. 
 

Seems cheaper to spend $30-40 one time than buying $20 polos multiple times :shrug:  

Take your math somewhere else, pal.  :angry:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Take your math somewhere else, pal.  :angry:

Why are you buying cheap cotton then drying them to death?

Do you think they look ‘nicer’ than synthetic sports polos?

All polos look bad. But ones that won’t shrink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would honestly check out thrift stores.  there are some decent options at goodwill for only like $5.  Seriously, a lot are in decent condition and if you especially care about cost, it works.  I have gotten a couple of pairs of pants that I like for cheap.  And I would assume that these would not shrink since they have been worn in.  I personally loathe spending money on clothes, especially work-casual clothes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shuke said:

Polos and khakis at work?  Do you guys all have goatees and work in IT too?

Outside of the Boston-to-D.C. corridor ... tie-wearing jobs are pretty much restricted to lawyers on court days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are nicer quality ones that don't have a big brand mark on them?  I don't mind spending money and difficulty with cotton ones shrinking too much even with cold water/hang drying

Edited by Slapdash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

What are nicer quality ones that don't have a big brand mark on them?

The following suggestions are assuming you're not too much of a fashion plate. Guys that like to dress will blanche at the items below:

I've had great luck with Claiborne polos from JC Penney. I have to shop Big & Tall, so my selection is limited ... but if you are a regular-sized kinda guy, you can take advantage of a nice sale right now.

Someone upthread mentioned Van Heusen. Those are also very nice polos without a logo.

Finally, both Austin (Academy Sports house brand) and Old Navy sell decent unmarked polos. They're essentially the school uniform solid-color polos, but available in adult sizes and more colors.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Doug B said:

The following suggestions are assuming you're not too much of a fashion plate. Guys that like to dress will blanche at the items below:

I've had great luck with Claiborne polos from JC Penney. I have to shop Big & Tall, so my selection is limited ... but if you are a regular-sized kinda guy, you can take advantage of a nice sale right now.

Someone upthread mentioned Van Heusen. Those are also very nice polos without a logo.

Finally, both Austin (Academy Sports house brand) and Old Navy sell decent unmarked polos. They're essentially the school uniform solid-color polos, but available in adult sizes and more colors.

Thanks.  The italicized is true, at least for this usecase.  I don't really care what I wear to the office here in Charlotte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eoMMan said:

It's casual Friday today so I get to wear my camo print cargo shorts with some crocs.

:bag:    :bag:   :bag:   

No crocs, but I do have the camo cargos on today with a t-shirt.  

  :excited:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mphtrilogy said:

I'm a fan of the greg norman shark shirts, short and long sleeve

I had one of those on yesterday.  It's lasted a long time and has retained size, color, etc.  Real nice shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, shuke said:

Polos and khakis at work?  Do you guys all have goatees and work in IT too?

Systems Consultant here....but in finance, not IT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 7:54 AM, Ron Swanson said:

What finks said. Are there that many of you here wearing those abominations? And DDT o they really make them in long sleeve? Just buy some nice dress shirts and maybe some nice camps or guyabaras for casual.

I have no idea what camps are, but guayaberas?  Does he work in a nightclub in Miami?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what about long sleeved polos?  I have a couple I found recently that I really like.  They seem to be holding their shape and color and I like the way they look.  Almost have a sheen to them.  I have to remember to look where I got them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

So what about long sleeved polos?  I have a couple I found recently that I really like.  They seem to be holding their shape and color and I like the way they look.  Almost have a sheen to them.  I have to remember to look where I got them.  

:no: long sleeve should be a sweater or button-down

sweatshirt if it's casual Friday. maybe a crewneck long sleeve even but not a long sleeve polo.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, shuke said:

Polos and khakis at work?  Do you guys all have goatees and work in IT too?

Funny...but this is me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

:no: long sleeve should be a sweater or button-down

sweatshirt if it's casual Friday. maybe a crewneck long sleeve even but not a long sleeve polo.

This man knows polo ... just look at his helmet. 👍

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside the occasional day I choose to wear a dress shirt, I always wear polo shirts too; and, like you, I do the short-sleeved for half the year and the long-sleeved the other half of the year. 


I wear mostly LL Bean polo shirts. I get their Double-L polo because I don’t like thin polo shirts. (I find most brands are t-shirt level thin. I like a bit of heft on the shirts.)

Also, the LL Bean shirts offer “Tall” sizes. These work well for me as my torso is a bit long so the Tall shirts tuck in better. 

I find these polo shirts wear out after years of wear and do not shrink. 

They go for around $32 each. 

There are no logos on these shirts, nor are there pockets (which I feel should not be on polo shirts). 

I strongly suggest them. 

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -fish- said:

I have no idea what camps are ...

A camp shirt is really just a casual, short-sleeved button-down shirt. Definitely not dressy -- Hawaiian shirts and bowling shirts are types of camp shirts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

:no: long sleeve should be a sweater or button-down

sweatshirt if it's casual Friday. maybe a crewneck long sleeve even but not a long sleeve polo.

I don't like sweaters.  And button downs require ironing or they don't seem to tuck in and stay tucked in.  On Fridays, I usually just throw on an UnderArmor long sleeved heavy shirt.  They are just nice enough to not look like athletic gear.

Plus, I actually like long sleeved polos.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spike said:

Outside the occasional day I choose to wear a dress shirt, I always wear polo shirts too; and, like you, I do the short-sleeved for half the year and the long-sleeved the other half of the year. 


I wear mostly LL Bean polo shirts. I get their Double-L polo because I don’t like thin polo shirts. (I find most brands are t-shirt level thin. I like a bit of heft on the shirts.)

Also, the LL Bean shirts offer “Tall” sizes. These work well for me as my torso is a bit long so the Tall shirts tuck in better. 

I find these polo shirts wear out after years of wear and do not shrink. 

They go for around $32 each. 

There are no logos on these shirts, nor are there pockets (which I feel should not be on polo shirts). 

I strongly suggest them. 

@Joe 8ryant does not agree with this take.  But I do.  

And I'm also a no logo polo guy.  I tend to like the solid colors and I usually only wear dark colors.  Of course that limits my choices.  Although, I've gotten to the point that I don't care if people think I'm wearing the same shirts and pants.  As long as I know they're clean, don't care what others think.  If I could, I'd wear black pants and burgundy shirt everyday.  Or brown pants with a black shirt.  I hate having to worry about mixing up the combinations.  Johnny Cash was definitely on to something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

And button downs require ironing ...

Depending on the fabric ... there are many button-down shirts that if you hang them up immediately out of the dryer, they don't need to be ironed. They won't actually be crisp, say ... but they'll be pretty smooth and not even close to wrinkled.

But then, I recall you don't do laundry. Tell the wife, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Depending on the fabric ... there are many button-down shirts that if you hang them up immediately out of the dryer, they don't need to be ironed. They won't actually be crisp, say ... but they'll be pretty smooth and not even close to wrinkled.

But then, I recall you don't do laundry. Tell the wife, I guess.

Or, don't wear them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, for sizing, I am 6’1” and weigh about 220 and I get the Large/Tall. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Also, for sizing, I am 6’1” and weigh about 220 and I get the Large/Tall. 

Wow.  I'm 6'2" and 235 and sometimes an XL feels like spandex.  I usually always go with a 2XL just to be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:
21 minutes ago, Spike said:

There are no logos on these shirts, nor are there pockets (which I feel should not be on polo shirts)

@Joe 8ryant does not agree with this take.  But I do.  

Same, admittedly for no logical reason. They make the polo seem cheap in my mind. I think because I've looked through some budget menswear catalogs and seen A LOT of pocketed polos ... it's a look that screams "your dad's clothes!" to me.

Banded-bottom polos are the same way to me. Just no.  No logic, just not what I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Also, for sizing, I am 6’1” and weigh about 220 and I get the Large/Tall. 

Wow.  I'm 6'2" and 235 and sometimes an XL feels like spandex.  I usually always go with a 2XL just to be safe.

6'1" and 235 (or so) in my prime, and I absolutely had to go with XXLs back then.

These days? Need the treble :sadbanana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

This man knows polo ... just look at his helmet. 👍

of course i do.  i'm a Lo-Life.

Edited by mr. furley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Same, admittedly for no logical reason. They make the polo seem cheap in my mind. I think because I've looked through some budget menswear catalogs and seen A LOT of pocketed polos ... it's a look that screams "your dad's clothes!" to me.

Banded-bottom polos are the same way to me. Just no.  No logic, just not what I want.

I just don't get the pocket.  And when I see people wear them, the top of the pocket sags and just messes up the look of the shirt.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

nopolos.com

I so want to put that into the browser, but I'm at work and I have no idea what could possibly come up from that. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only polos I'll wear are golf shirts.  I prefer Adidas golf shirts...i think they are the best.

Edited by urbanhack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.