What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Polos - For work (1 Viewer)

I didn't know this was such a problem.  :oldunsure:   Maybe it's because I buy large but am more M/L size and don't notice or just happen to buy the right synthetic.  :shrug:   I always wash them in cold water.
It's a huge problem.  It's like the biggest complaints of polos.  There are entire companies based around the fact that their polos don't shrink.  They also cost $100 each.  

It's a huge problem.  It's like the biggest complaints of polos.  There are entire companies based around the fact that their polos don't shrink.  They also cost $100 each.  
The one I'm wearing now was from Walmart 2-3 years ago for ~$15.  It's tagless but I want to see what's it made of.  I wear company provided polos quite a bit, but they are higher quality and don't shrink for me.

The one I'm wearing now was from Walmart 2-3 years ago for ~$15.  It's tagless but I want to see what's it made of.  I wear company provided polos quite a bit, but they are higher quality and don't shrink for me.
But that's the issue, GB.  I have some that are probably 10 years old that look brand new.  And I probably bought them at Kohl's for $15.  And I have some that were $90 that lasted one wash.  The problem is it seems like I get 1 good one for every 7 I buy.  It's just so strange.

What finks said. Are there that many of you here wearing those abominations? And DDT o they really make them in long sleeve? Just buy some nice dress shirts and maybe some nice camps or guyabaras for casual.
Who wants to wear dress shirts? And who wants to wear long sleeves? No thanks.

Threads like this make me like my job a little more.  During the summer I wear SHORTS and a polo M-Th and then usually a t-shirt with shorts come "casual Friday".

I'm a polo junkie too, and absolutely love Criquet Shirts ... a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

I would like to recommend Van Heusen.  They have cotton and the non cotton type.  I have a few of the non cotton golf shirt types and they have held up well and were affordable.  They have good selections at their outlet stores. 

So like most of us, my office is a business casual setting, which means 98% of the time I'm wearing a Polo shirt.  Summer it's short sleeved, winter it's long sleeved.  But I am always having issues finding Polos that don't shrink 3 sizes after the first wash.  At first I thought it was because I was buying cheap ones.  So I bit the bullet and bought some high end ones.  And they shrank too.  For the most part, it seems like about 80% of the Polos I buy are given to charities after wearing them once.  

But because they are for work and I don't care about style too much, I'm looking for cheap Polos.  Every so often, I find some good ones at Kohl's that are like $20 and haven't shrunk in 5 years.  But I'm wondering if anyone else has found a reliable, cheap Polo shirt.  Any recommendations?  Really don't want to pay too much for them since I need a lot.  

Show me what you got!!!
A little more expensive but worth it for the snake :style: 

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/ready-to-wear-for-men/t-shirts-and-polos-for-men/cotton-polo-with-kingsnake-embroidery-p-408323X73321410

You're a FBG, shoot the lock off your wallet and buy some non-cotton golf polos from Nike or Under Armour etc.  They do not shrink.
This. I own tons of polos that never shrink. 

Seems cheaper to spend $30-40 one time than buying $20 polos multiple times :shrug:   

i would honestly check out thrift stores.  there are some decent options at goodwill for only like $5.  Seriously, a lot are in decent condition and if you especially care about cost, it works.  I have gotten a couple of pairs of pants that I like for cheap.  And I would assume that these would not shrink since they have been worn in.  I personally loathe spending money on clothes, especially work-casual clothes.

What are nicer quality ones that don't have a big brand mark on them?  I don't mind spending money and difficulty with cotton ones shrinking too much even with cold water/hang drying

Last edited by a moderator:
What are nicer quality ones that don't have a big brand mark on them?
The following suggestions are assuming you're not too much of a fashion plate. Guys that like to dress will blanche at the items below:

I've had great luck with Claiborne polos from JC Penney. I have to shop Big & Tall, so my selection is limited ... but if you are a regular-sized kinda guy, you can take advantage of a nice sale right now.

Someone upthread mentioned Van Heusen. Those are also very nice polos without a logo.

Finally, both Austin (Academy Sports house brand) and Old Navy sell decent unmarked polos. They're essentially the school uniform solid-color polos, but available in adult sizes and more colors.

The following suggestions are assuming you're not too much of a fashion plate. Guys that like to dress will blanche at the items below:

I've had great luck with Claiborne polos from JC Penney. I have to shop Big & Tall, so my selection is limited ... but if you are a regular-sized kinda guy, you can take advantage of a nice sale right now.

Someone upthread mentioned Van Heusen. Those are also very nice polos without a logo.

Finally, both Austin (Academy Sports house brand) and Old Navy sell decent unmarked polos. They're essentially the school uniform solid-color polos, but available in adult sizes and more colors.
Thanks.  The italicized is true, at least for this usecase.  I don't really care what I wear to the office here in Charlotte.

What finks said. Are there that many of you here wearing those abominations? And DDT o they really make them in long sleeve? Just buy some nice dress shirts and maybe some nice camps or guyabaras for casual.
I have no idea what camps are, but guayaberas?  Does he work in a nightclub in Miami?

So what about long sleeved polos?  I have a couple I found recently that I really like.  They seem to be holding their shape and color and I like the way they look.  Almost have a sheen to them.  I have to remember to look where I got them.  

So what about long sleeved polos?  I have a couple I found recently that I really like.  They seem to be holding their shape and color and I like the way they look.  Almost have a sheen to them.  I have to remember to look where I got them.  
:no: long sleeve should be a sweater or button-down

sweatshirt if it's casual Friday. maybe a crewneck long sleeve even but not a long sleeve polo.

Outside the occasional day I choose to wear a dress shirt, I always wear polo shirts too; and, like you, I do the short-sleeved for half the year and the long-sleeved the other half of the year. 

I wear mostly LL Bean polo shirts. I get their Double-L polo because I don’t like thin polo shirts. (I find most brands are t-shirt level thin. I like a bit of heft on the shirts.)

Also, the LL Bean shirts offer “Tall” sizes. These work well for me as my torso is a bit long so the Tall shirts tuck in better. 

I find these polo shirts wear out after years of wear and do not shrink. 

They go for around $32 each. 

There are no logos on these shirts, nor are there pockets (which I feel should not be on polo shirts). 

I strongly suggest them. 

:no: long sleeve should be a sweater or button-down

sweatshirt if it's casual Friday. maybe a crewneck long sleeve even but not a long sleeve polo.
I don't like sweaters.  And button downs require ironing or they don't seem to tuck in and stay tucked in.  On Fridays, I usually just throw on an UnderArmor long sleeved heavy shirt.  They are just nice enough to not look like athletic gear.

Plus, I actually like long sleeved polos.

Outside the occasional day I choose to wear a dress shirt, I always wear polo shirts too; and, like you, I do the short-sleeved for half the year and the long-sleeved the other half of the year. 

I wear mostly LL Bean polo shirts. I get their Double-L polo because I don’t like thin polo shirts. (I find most brands are t-shirt level thin. I like a bit of heft on the shirts.)

Also, the LL Bean shirts offer “Tall” sizes. These work well for me as my torso is a bit long so the Tall shirts tuck in better. 

I find these polo shirts wear out after years of wear and do not shrink. 

They go for around $32 each. 

There are no logos on these shirts, nor are there pockets (which I feel should not be on polo shirts). 

I strongly suggest them. 
@Joe 8ryant does not agree with this take.  But I do.  

And I'm also a no logo polo guy.  I tend to like the solid colors and I usually only wear dark colors.  Of course that limits my choices.  Although, I've gotten to the point that I don't care if people think I'm wearing the same shirts and pants.  As long as I know they're clean, don't care what others think.  If I could, I'd wear black pants and burgundy shirt everyday.  Or brown pants with a black shirt.  I hate having to worry about mixing up the combinations.  Johnny Cash was definitely on to something. 

And button downs require ironing ...
Depending on the fabric ... there are many button-down shirts that if you hang them up immediately out of the dryer, they don't need to be ironed. They won't actually be crisp, say ... but they'll be pretty smooth and not even close to wrinkled.

But then, I recall you don't do laundry. Tell the wife, I guess.

Depending on the fabric ... there are many button-down shirts that if you hang them up immediately out of the dryer, they don't need to be ironed. They won't actually be crisp, say ... but they'll be pretty smooth and not even close to wrinkled.

But then, I recall you don't do laundry. Tell the wife, I guess.
Or, don't wear them.  

There are no logos on these shirts, nor are there pockets (which I feel should not be on polo shirts)
@Joe 8ryant does not agree with this take.  But I do.  
Same, admittedly for no logical reason. They make the polo seem cheap in my mind. I think because I've looked through some budget menswear catalogs and seen A LOT of pocketed polos ... it's a look that screams "your dad's clothes!" to me.

Banded-bottom polos are the same way to me. Just no.  No logic, just not what I want.

Same, admittedly for no logical reason. They make the polo seem cheap in my mind. I think because I've looked through some budget menswear catalogs and seen A LOT of pocketed polos ... it's a look that screams "your dad's clothes!" to me.

Banded-bottom polos are the same way to me. Just no.  No logic, just not what I want.
I just don't get the pocket.  And when I see people wear them, the top of the pocket sags and just messes up the look of the shirt.  

The only polos I'll wear are golf shirts.  I prefer Adidas golf shirts...i think they are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread