What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

what "upgrade" was worth it? (2 Viewers)

Agreed. I never regret it if I pay extra for first or business class,
The difference on a long haul flight, especially flying East, is immense IMO.  Going from coach/coach + to getting lay flat seats especially on those overnight flights allows me to actually sleep a bit and get on a normal schedule when I arrive.  Using points, miles, has made this reasonable money wise.

Sherwin Williams top of the line FLAT paint.

The painter we hired to do our house when we bought it sold me on this. My dad always told me to get at least eggshell paint to be able to wipe it off, and that flat was terrible.

Well the painter promised that with this paint you could just wipe it off/clean it without changing the gloss or paint. And that if you *did* need to repaint a small spot for any reason that you wouldn't have to repaint the whole wall to match the sheen, you could just paint the spot and it would blend in perfectly. As you know if you have to redo a spot with the higher gloss paints, it doesn't match and you can see the spot.

Well, he was absolutely right. Even with a ton of kids in our house, marks on the wall clean right up and look good as new. It's freaking awesome. Highly recommend, and highly worth it.

edit - it also looks amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoes - I have cheap shoes and nice shoes, the cheap ones really stand out when I still throw those on.

Game Tickets - 99% of the time I'd rather watch a game on TV, but if I do go see one in person, spending more for good seats is almost always worth it.

Clothes - I don't buy new clothes much anymore, but if I do add something, it is going to be of quality and last.  The comfort, fit, and durability of a nice piece of clothing pays for itself (talk work clothes, or going out clothes, not workout clothes, lounge clothes, or yardwork stuff).

Tools - I'm not very handy, but it sure makes a job more enjoyable if you don't have to fight with your tools to get something done.

Does Lasik over contacts count?   Best money I've ever spent.    Certainly my mountain bike if we're comparing it to something you'd get from walmart.   My lawn tractor without a doubt over a push mower if they're both in the same category.   

Lasik for sure. Don’t know why I waited it is such an amazing quality of life jump. 

Says literally everyone that's had it done.   What an amazing medical technology.   
Put me down for being in total agreement.   It was tremendous improvement in 5 minutes.  I was amazed at the immediate difference it made.

I probably had it done close to 20 years ago and I probably need to do it again.  My distance sight is getting blurry again and I am supposed to get free touch ups for life. 

I probably had it done close to 20 years ago and I probably need to do it again.  My distance sight is getting blurry again and I am supposed to get free touch ups for life
I was curious to know if things would play out that way over such a time frame.   Personally, I'd be thrilled if my vision stays this way for 20 years.   I'd gladly drop another $5k if it bought me an additional 20.   

I forget where I heard it (might have been Dan Patrick) but he said something like, "The greatest money you'll ever spend, is money spent on having someone else do the work."

It's so true.  Whether it be moving or fixing something.  Yeah, you might be able to do it cheaper by yourself.  But I'd rather spend the money for someone else to do it while I go play golf or whatever.

I guess this counts as an “upgrade”. A couple years ago we went to a John Deere dealership to buy a 3k Riding mower. Got talked into buying a better model that was 5500. Salesman totally got me when he called it a “legacy machine” that would last for next generation. Showed me all around mower where metal parts replaced plastic in the cheaper model, better features, etc.

3 years later it was totally worth it. Thing is a beast and I never realized how convenient it was to have a separate foot pedal for reverse  and to be able to mow in reverse. Very heavy duty too, which was needed for 2.5 uneven acres to mow. I used to have a cheapy rider and I was constantly screwing with replacing belts, pulleys, etc.

I forget where I heard it (might have been Dan Patrick) but he said something like, "The greatest money you'll ever spend, is money spent on having someone else do the work."

It's so true.  Whether it be moving or fixing something.  Yeah, you might be able to do it cheaper by yourself.  But I'd rather spend the money for someone else to do it while I go play golf or whatever.
Totally depends on one's situation.  If you're making Dan Patrick money and money doesn't matter, absolutely.

If you're like most people who struggle to save enough for rainy day issues, learning how to do stuff for yourself saves a lot of money over the course of your lifetime.  Not to mention, those few times I have done something for myself that actually worked, the feeling of accomplishment is considerable.

Old misers who won't let a penny go without a fight, and waste their weekends on something that would cost an hours worth of wages is a very different story.

Totally depends on one's situation.  If you're making Dan Patrick money and money doesn't matter, absolutely.

If you're like most people who struggle to save enough for rainy day issues, learning how to do stuff for yourself saves a lot of money over the course of your lifetime.  Not to mention, those few times I have done something for myself that actually worked, the feeling of accomplishment is considerable.

Old misers who won't let a penny go without a fight, and waste their weekends on something that would cost an hours worth of wages is a very different story.
I'm just saying for me, that's my upgrade that is worth paying for.

I personally like fixing thing and what the bolded is just enormous for me.   If you know how to fix something, sometimes it actually saves you time (in addition to money)  instead of having to deal with contractors who all too frequently either aren't professional and/or aren't good at their job.   

I was curious to know if things would play out that way over such a time frame.   Personally, I'd be thrilled if my vision stays this way for 20 years.   I'd gladly drop another $5k if it bought me an additional 20.   
When I got the procedure they had told me that your eyes will continue to change.  They also said if you were a person that is going to need reading glasses that even with having lasik you will still be a person that needs reading glasses because that's a different situation of just your eyes getting old. 

I have noticed though over the last few years that my distance vision is getting worse and that I probably need an adjustment.  It just hasn't gotten to the point that it bothers me enough to make an appointment.  I am getting close though.  I am very curious if they honor the free touch up for life guarantee.  I am sure there was something I was supposed to do to make that stick.  All I am hoping for is a nice discount but I will go for the free touch up first.  I will report back once I find out what they are willing to do.

I'm just saying for me, that's my upgrade that is worth paying for.
I agree.  I certainly don't make Dan Patrick (or even FBG) money, sadly.  But when something is broken, I prefer to pay someone who's an expert to fix it.  There are some outliers, though.

for me it depends.

if i get to demolish something with my hands... i'll do that myself. 

yard work i actually like. physical labor is good by me.

it's fine-motor skills that are time intensive which i pay for.

for me it depends.

Agree.  I can demo with the best of 'em.  Pulling weeds, sure.

But changing my car's oil?  Replacing motor in dryer?  No thanks.

for me it depends.

Weird thing is, I generally hate yard work. I live in Arizona and we have lots of illegals that do yard work very cheaply. I always considered it money well spent.

But, we also have a small house Nothern AZ, with nice grass and a white picket fence around it. And for some reason, I LOVE taking care of that yard. I go up most weekends, crack open a beer, and mow and trim it, and totally enjoy it.

Of course, it's 20 degrees cooler up there than in Phoenix, but I think there's more to it than that.

Agreed. I never regret it if I pay extra for first or business class,
Yeah, when I was flying a lot, I loved getting the first class upgrade.  I'm not sure we were in the financial position for me to do it all the time, but on certain flights I liked the space and breakfast for morning flights.  I usually got it on an American flight from Dallas to Orange County, CA.... and it only cost $100 or so... breakfast, better ability to sleep, comfort, lookin' like a balla, etc.

Windshield wipers
Being in MN with snow and ice I’ve tried the fancy ones before. I totally disagree on this. The regular $5 ones are better, oftentimes because the rubber casing makes it tough for them to work properly due to more wind resistance. Other styles may not have the wind thing but just don’t do a better job for double or triple the money. 🤷‍♂️

Windshield wipers

Being in MN with snow and ice I’ve tried the fancy ones before. I totally disagree on this. The regular $5 ones are better, oftentimes because the rubber casing makes it tough for them to work properly due to more wind resistance. Other styles may not have the wind thing but just don’t do a better job for double or triple the money. 🤷‍♂️
In the same vein, snow tires (depending on one's climate).

Weber grill.  Paid close to $900 for it 6 years ago.  Still rock solid and cooks as even as the day I bought it with no more maintenance than cleaning it.
I just want to add to this and you probably know this too but you "think, in your mind ah a grill is a grill" but it's really not.  I had 2 or 3 cheap, throwaway, off brand name grills that would literally rust apart after a few years.  Anyway, I've had mine for 10 or 15 years now, I've replaced a few parts here and there but it just cooks amazing well, it's a whole different experience, pretty amazing.

I agree.  I certainly don't make Dan Patrick (or even FBG) money, sadly.  But when something is broken, I prefer to pay someone who's an expert to fix it.  There are some outliers, though.
Yes.  And his point (as is mine) is if it's something you DO NOT enjoy doing.  No one is saying pay someone else to do something you like doing.  It's meant as saying don't spend time breaking your back, being miserable when you can just pay someone else to do it.  I can a couple of my buddies and we can move some heavy boxes out of a basement and haul them to a dump.  But I could also pay someone to do that.  I'd rather pay the money (upgrade) than try to save money and do it myself.

When I got the procedure they had told me that your eyes will continue to change.  They also said if you were a person that is going to need reading glasses that even with having lasik you will still be a person that needs reading glasses because that's a different situation of just your eyes getting old. 

I have noticed though over the last few years that my distance vision is getting worse and that I probably need an adjustment.  It just hasn't gotten to the point that it bothers me enough to make an appointment.  I am getting close though.  I am very curious if they honor the free touch up for life guarantee.  I am sure there was something I was supposed to do to make that stick.  All I am hoping for is a nice discount but I will go for the free touch up first.  I will report back once I find out what they are willing to do.
Yeah, I was told about the readers as well.   For my warranty, I'm required to get an general exam every two years.  Its not a bad idea to get one done regardless to evaluate overall eye health.    Apparently there's a version of lasik where you can have one eye treated for nearsightedness and the other treated for farsightedness.   It doesn't work on everyone though so they see if you're a candidate by having you where contacts for a short period that accomplish the same thing.

This is me, and it sucks.  My wife was bugging me about a leaky faucet in the kitchen for a few weeks and she finally had enough and called in a plumber last week.  The guy spent about 5 minutes looking at it, then told her it would be cheaper to buy a new one.  I probably would have spent half a day, swearing, multiple trips to the hardware store, and it would still be leaking. I think he charged $100 for the home visit. Best money I've spent this year.

4 wheel drive - for years I drove cars because I didn't think the extra expense and gas was worth dealing with snow through the winter.  Definitely a game changer and will never go back to 2 wheel drive for a daily driver.
That's a great one.   The AWD upgrade is a must in cold climates.   

Dress Circle/Mezzanine over orchestra seats for concerts. Much better to look down, and not have to look over the 6'3" dude in front of you. *Unless you're within the front couple of rows.

Dress Circle/Mezzanine over orchestra seats for concerts. Much better to look down, and not have to look over the 6'3" dude in front of you. *Unless you're within the front couple of rows.
I'm that dude in front of you but I'm like you in that I prefer the Mezz as I'd rather just sit and relax.   

Users who are viewing this thread