Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
mr. furley

what "upgrade" was worth it?

53 minutes ago, Birdie048 said:

ABSOLUTELY!  

Wife went "Costco Brand"....  wiping goes right thru!  :eek:

Kirkland TP is awesome...Soft, thick..VERY high quality.  And you get sooooo much more for the price

Same with Kirkland paper towels.  I don't know what your wife bought or from whre, or how long ago maybe?  But we only buy kirkland tp and paper towels.  The quality and price just cant be beat anywhere

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

How much does tailoring cost usually?

Sorry, I don't recall. 

18 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Kirkland TP is awesome...Soft, thick..VERY high quality.  And you get sooooo much more for the price

Same with Kirkland paper towels.  I don't know what your wife bought or from whre, or how long ago maybe?  But we only buy kirkland tp and paper towels.  The quality and price just cant be beat anywhere

upside: you can buy them 576 rolls at a time.

2 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Thanks reagan

Spending $1700 on a suit, two shirts, and two ties....I wasn't paying much attention after a while!

1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Spending $1700 on a suit, two shirts, and two ties....I wasn't paying much attention after a while!

Thanks trump

• Like 1

Just now, Long Ball Larry said:

Thanks trump

I have two Trump ties from a previous suit relationship. They're pretty nice too. Plus, they trigger many Minnesotans as a bonus.

Nothing worse than a ####ty can opener.  I'd rather spend $20-30 on one that does the job and lasts a few years than spend $5-10 on one that sucks and breaks in six months.  Usually, I'm the opposite.  For example, I'll take the $150 vaccuum cleaner over the higher end ones every time, even if it means buying a new one every few years.  

• Like 2

Just now, James Bond said:

Bosch dishwasher. If you try one, you won't look back.

Ours isn't all that great.  :shrug:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Global Entry/PreCheck

$85 for 5 years of TSA Precheck is a no-brainer.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, EYLive said:

$85 for 5 years of TSA Precheck is a no-brainer.

Global Entry is only $15 more for the same duration. 

2 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Many perk credit cards will cover the expense for free too. Especially mileage cards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

talk to me, Goose

what makes this great. my wife might need one.

20 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

It's a separate application and background check process though, right?

16 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

talk to me, Goose

what makes this great. my wife might need one.

You literally put the opener on the top of the wine bottle and press a button. It does everything else. (After you have cut off the foil - still have to do that.)

You press the button and it digs into the cork and then lifts it out. Once its out, you press the button in the other direction and it gets the cork off the screw.

Its unbelievably simple. 

Edited by whoknew
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Paper towels are great!  The TP is too flimsy compared to Charmin.  Takes several more sheets to do the job!

• Thanks 1

Last two times I've flown, the TSA Pre line was longer than the regular line.  Still worth it to not have to strip halfway down but they're going to need to start adding more TSA pre lanes soon.  

Global Entry is perfect because one of my biggest pet peeves is coming back from an international trip and seeing 3 of 20 booths open and five incoming flights worth of people waiting in line.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Every so often I think about getting into private practice. Then I remember the clothing would eat any increase in income. Not to mention dry cleaning. 

37 minutes ago, whoknew said:

You literally put the opener on the top of the wine bottle and press a button. It does everything else. (After you have cut off the foil - still have to do that.)

You press the button and it digs into the cork and then lifts it out. Once its out, you press the button in the other direction and it gets the cork off the screw.

Its unbelievably simple. 

Sounds cool, but there's something primally macho about using a corkscrew.

Not really.

20 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

Last two times I've flown, the TSA Pre line was longer than the regular line.  Still worth it to not have to strip halfway down but they're going to need to start adding more TSA pre lanes soon.  

Global Entry is perfect because one of my biggest pet peeves is coming back from an international trip and seeing 3 of 20 booths open and five incoming flights worth of people waiting in line.  

That's the best part of traveling!

1 hour ago, EYLive said:

It's a separate application and background check process though, right?

Yes, but PreCheck is included. You get interviewed by TSA at an airport for about 5 minutes and get a cool card. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

You spend that much on a suit, I'd like to think it would come with free tailoring.  Reminds me of the sole time I was able to fly first class and they still wanted me to pay $10 for the wifi.   

4 hours ago, supermike80 said:

A few years ago, there was a TV show that featured the Costco Purchasing Agent and they highlighted the process of how they have this made to be one of the best out there.  I hate it when we run out and don't have Kirkland.

24 minutes ago, Getinthemix said:

We hate ours

ours didn't last that long at all.  Constant issues.

23 hours ago, mr. furley said:

totally worth it. even in summer when you get in your car and it's 130 for the first 5 minutes.

You can turn down the heat in the summer 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

Bosch dishwasher. If you try one, you won't look back.

Until you get to a miele

• Like 2

21 hours ago, whoknew said:

Without a doubt - first class/business on a flight. 

Domestically, its anywhere from $200-400 more per flight. Its worth it. So much easier to work. Depending on what you do, can definitely make it up in the air by working.

Private Jet over commercial first class.

You filthy animals.

Ex girlfriends to wife 

7 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Kirkland TP is a big upgrade over other brands that generate a lot of that TP dust.

• Like 1

Global entry

Better seats at concerts or sporting events

YouTube premium with no ads {includes their music app}

Better vacation destinations.  Like no one would choose Mexico or the Dominican if they had the money and knew how much better Barbados or Turks and Caicos is.

Anything that skips lines or eliminates waiting.

15 hours ago, NutterButter said:

That's a great one.   The AWD upgrade is a must in cold climates.   

Mrs O and I only buy AWD vehicles in Florida. 

Tell me more about LASIK. Contacts aren’t that tremendous a PIA, but then again LASIK might be nice. I’m just concerned about being in that small percentage of people whose procedures doesn’t go well. Why screw with your vision. Seems like an unnecessary risk. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gally said:
On 11/7/2019 at 6:35 PM, NutterButter said:

Does Lasik over contacts count?   Best money I've ever spent.    Certainly my mountain bike if we're comparing it to something you'd get from walmart.   My lawn tractor without a doubt over a push mower if they're both in the same category.   

On 11/7/2019 at 7:46 PM, cheese said:

Lasik for sure. Don’t know why I waited it is such an amazing quality of life jump. 

On 11/7/2019 at 7:50 PM, NutterButter said:

Says literally everyone that's had it done.   What an amazing medical technology.   

Put me down for being in total agreement.   It was tremendous improvement in 5 minutes.  I was amazed at the immediate difference it made.

I've been contemplating lasik for a couple of years.  You guys are really helping with my decision.  :thumbup: 

On 11/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, Sand said:

There really isn't such a thing as a good cheap paint brush.  You can see how much better the good ones work.

Blue Purdy pro xl. Worth every extra penny. 

Definitely agree with some of the stuff posted in here.  

Cologne-- most cheap colognes are repulsive and have an alcohol odor.   A decent cologne is well worth it. 

Hair cair products--definitely worth it to spend a bit more and get nice products.  I understand the appeal of getting a gallon of dep gel or an aerosol bottle of hair spray the size of a fire extinguisher for $5---but it's definitely worth spending a bit more to get nicer products. I like the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree collection a lot . 

Can Opener--I'm not even necessarily saying to get one of the crazy expensive motorized ones.  Even a nice quality manual one is such a luxury compared to the really low end ones

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Tell me more about LASIK. Contacts aren’t that tremendous a PIA, but then again LASIK might be nice. I’m just concerned about being in that small percentage of people whose procedures doesn’t go well. Why screw with your vision. Seems like an unnecessary risk. 

this is always been my viewpoint also why take the risk and contacts only bother me when I'm doing water sports.

But boy it would be nice to be able to see without them at night

17 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Ours isn't all that great.  :shrug:

Need Bosch 500 Series. I had a 300 Series before and it sucked. 500 is solid.

Edited by Johnny Rock

3 hours ago, Otis said:

I’ve also been struggling with this decision for the past 10 years

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Otis said:

Ex girlfriends to wife 

Wife to Girlfriend 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

4 hours ago, Otis said:

I got it done in 2001 when it was still new-ish and they still used a blade to cut a flap in your cornea. I had some extra scarring around that cut than normal and it definitely makes night driving a bit more difficult because there are halos around lights...and I’d still choose to do it 100 out of 100 times. One of the best things I’ve ever done. It was unreal going into the procedure basically being blind and being able to see virtually crystal clear IMMEDIATELY after the procedure. 

Only thing I really didn’t expect was the oddness of smelling the laser burning my eyeballs. That was weird.

ETA: I do think that how bad your eyesight is may play a part. For me, I seriously couldn’t make out anything more than a foot in front of my face. If I didn’t put glasses on as the first thing I did in the morning, I would hurt myself trying to get around the room blindly.

Edited by GroveDiesel

22 hours ago, Drunken knight said:

In the same vein, snow tires (depending on one's climate).

I always buy the highest-rated tires they make for my vehicle. No matter what they cost. Money well spent.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, shuke said:

I’ve also been struggling with this decision for the past 10 years

My eyes are very sensitive to light, and I'm told that Lasik would make that even worse, so there's no way I can do it. But, boy, it would be nice. Lasers do scare me, though.

22 hours ago, apalmer said:

Not nearly as worth it as the upgrade from British butler to French maid.

And those also come with French Benefits.

• Like 1