Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
mr. furley

what "upgrade" was worth it?

Recommended Posts

On 11/8/2019 at 10:52 AM, kutta said:

Weird thing is, I generally hate yard work. I live in Arizona and we have lots of illegals that do yard work very cheaply. I always considered it money well spent.

But, we also have a small house Nothern AZ, with nice grass and a white picket fence around it. And for some reason, I LOVE taking care of that yard. I go up most weekends, crack open a beer, and mow and trim it, and totally enjoy it.

Of course, it's 20 degrees cooler up there than in Phoenix, but I think there's more to it than that.

Hey neighbor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, whoknew said:

Ehhh, yeah, it's easier, but is it really worth it over a regular decently corkscrew? 

I actually have both and find myself reaching for the corkscrew far more often. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BeTheMatch said:

My eyes are very sensitive to light, and I'm told that Lasik would make that even worse, so there's no way I can do it. But, boy, it would be nice. Lasers do scare me, though.

I found that faded after a couple months along with the night vision stuff.

Best money I ever spent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zow said:

Hey neighbor. 

Hola! Prescott for us. Where are you again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kutta said:

Hola! Prescott for us. Where are you again?

Moved to Flag this past summer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man the Lasik testimonials are interseting. I’ve foregone contacts since scratching my cornea but even the dependence on glasses is annoying. And I am admittedly vain so being able to go without is tempting.

On topic: Luxardo maraschino cherries. Will never make a Manhattan with any other. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NutterButter said:

Rao's tomato sauce

that stuff is like $9/jar!

i've given up on buying sauce and just go with cheese & pepper these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dentist said:

Better vacation destinations.  Like no one would choose Mexico or the Dominican if they had the money and knew how much better Barbados or Turks and Caicos is.

Same goes for one’s place of residence. Assuming you can afford it, I have no idea why people choose to live in ~40 of the 50 states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NutterButter said:

Rao's tomato sauce

good one.  love that stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Otis said:

Tell me more about LASIK. Contacts aren’t that tremendous a PIA, but then again LASIK might be nice. I’m just concerned about being in that small percentage of people whose procedures doesn’t go well. Why screw with your vision. Seems like an unnecessary risk. 

A small percentage of people have serious problems with contacts as well. Why not play it safer and stick with glasses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coincidentally I just found like 5 jars of rao’s in my pantry. :bag: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

A small percentage of people have serious problems with contacts as well. Why not play it safer and stick with glasses?

I don’t mind glasses 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zow said:

I don’t mind glasses 🤷‍♂️

Fair enough. I just don’t understand what people interested in LASIK are afraid of - the serious complication rate is very low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Terminalxylem said:

Fair enough. I just don’t understand what people interested in LASIK are afraid of - the serious complication rate is very low.

Is blindness considered a serious complication? That's what I'm afraid of.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BeTheMatch said:

Is blindness considered a serious complication? That's what I'm afraid of.

Don’t think that’s ever happened with contemporary lasik.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zow said:

Ehhh, yeah, it's easier, but is it really worth it over a regular decently corkscrew? 

I actually have both and find myself reaching for the corkscrew far more often. 

Agree and I don’t even drink wine.  But my wife does...and who can blame her.

We’ve probably had every type of wine opener invented.  There’s an electric one gathering dust somewhere around here. 

The waiter’s wine opener is still the go-to. Can’t beat it.  https://images.app.goo.gl/PiboEAvq2iZdxo1R6

We’ve got at least 3 in the house.  I even keep one in my travel  shaving kit since it opens beer bottles too. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

 

also Spotify premium

Most valuable monthly payment on my CC bill. Period.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, McJose said:
On 11/7/2019 at 7:58 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

also Spotify premium

Most valuable monthly payment on my CC bill. Period

Google Play music for $10 month comes with ad-free youtube.  No ragrets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Google Play music for $10 month comes with ad-free youtube.  No ragrets.

Never tried Google Play.  How does it compare to Spotify?

And YouTube connects directly to the Obama microchip the put into to you when you get a flu shot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, McJose said:

Never tried Google Play.  How does it compare to Spotify?

And YouTube connects directly to the Obama microchip the put into to you when you get a flu shot.

As far as I know, there are no significant differences between Spotify and Google Play content, save maybe for some one-off Taylor Swift exclusivity you get with Spotify or Apple Music.

Eta: I think Spotify comes with free basic Hulu, which might be the plus some prefer.

 

Edited by Mister CIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, D_House said:

 

On topic: Luxardo maraschino cherries. Will never make a Manhattan with any other. 

Those things are the bomb. Agree 100 percent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 5:03 PM, Birdie048 said:

Paper towels are great!  The TP is too flimsy compared to Charmin.  Takes several more sheets to do the job!

Agree 1000%. Wife and 2 daughters complained constantly every day until Costco TP was gone. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mr. furley said:
16 hours ago, NutterButter said:

Rao's tomato sauce

that stuff is like $9/jar!

i've given up on buying sauce and just go with cheese & pepper these days

Tbh, I don't really like Rao's that much...however much it costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Along with all those who said "shoes":

Socks.

Lousy socks can ruin wearing any good shoes. Too cold, hot & sweating, sliding down into shoes, too tight --- bad socks suck all day. With good shoes and good socks your feet are fine all day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mr. furley said:

that stuff is like $9/jar!

i've given up on buying sauce and just go with cheese & pepper these days

Costco is your friend.  Be friends with Costco.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Cherry tomatoes. 

Heirloom cherry tomatoes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NutterButter said:

Costco is your friend.  Be friends with Costco.

we are Costco members but i can't justify buying 24 jars of pasta sauce 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

holy ####, that's Scarface

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

we are Costco members but i can't justify buying 24 jars of pasta sauce 

if you're not walking out with a pallet, you're doing it wrong

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope its been mentioned - but if you can upgrade any flight to first class you should do it.

Back in my frequent flyer days, that was a godsend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fishboy said:

Agree 1000%. Wife and 2 daughters complained constantly every day until Costco TP was gone. 

I put the Kirkland (Costco Brand TP) in the boys bathroom... let them deal with it!  We have Charmin in the Master & Powder room now! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 9:30 PM, Terminalxylem said:

Same goes for one’s place of residence. Assuming you can afford it, I have no idea why people choose to live in ~40 of the 50 states.

I'd want to live near my family regardless of affordability.  Also cost of living is such a huge factor in wealth accumulation.  It's one thing to pick somewhere nicer for a week. Years is a different story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dentist said:

I'd want to live near my family regardless of affordability.  Also cost of living is such a huge factor in wealth accumulation.  It's one thing to pick somewhere nicer for a week. Years is a different story

Sure, but if you live somewhere nice, family and friends will have a place to visit. Meanwhile, you get to enjoy it year round. And assuming your handle reflects your occupation, you shouldn't have trouble retiring regardless.

I prioritize being active outdoors, so really what I'm talking about is living in climates where you're forced indoors several months a year. That describes a good chunk of the country.

Edited by Terminalxylem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 10:20 PM, mr. furley said:

that stuff is like $9/jar!

i've given up on buying sauce and just go with cheese & pepper these days

2 32 oz jars for $9 at Costco my brother.  You only get the marinara, but it's the best they make anyway

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dentist said:

I'd want to live near my family regardless of affordability.  Also cost of living is such a huge factor in wealth accumulation.  It's one thing to pick somewhere nicer for a week. Years is a different story

which is why i never understood football players not wanting to max out their dollars by playing in Green Bay

a minimum contract here puts you in the top 1%.  everything is cheap.

a minimum contract in NY, Miami, LA, etc. puts you solidly in the middle. maybe. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Sure, but if you live somewhere nice, family and friends will have a place to visit. Meanwhile, you get to enjoy it year round. And assuming your handle reflects your occupation, you shouldn't have trouble retiring regardless.

I prioritize being active outdoors, so really what I'm talking about is living in climates where you're forced indoors several months a year. That describes a good chunk of the country.

Interestingly enough I have a sister who lives in Ft. Myers, so she's in a wonderful climate.   I haven't visited her in 10 years, nor have her friends, my dad hates traveling to her and will only do it once per year out of obligation.   I've seen similar experiences with multiple people..  people with homes in the Caribbean and such..  people just won't go out of their way to come to you... whereas now I live 5 min from my parents and my kids have a wonderful relationship with their grandparents...  my sisters kids barely have any relationship with them by comparison.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 7:07 PM, Sand said:

I found that faded after a couple months along with the night vision stuff.

Best money I ever spent.

Any tips on finding a good Lasik doctor?

There are several in my area.  One always likes to brag that he is "top 5" in the country but who knows if it's the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Sure, but if you live somewhere nice, family and friends will have a place to visit. Meanwhile, you get to enjoy it year round. And assuming your handle reflects your occupation, you shouldn't have trouble retiring regardless.

I prioritize being active outdoors, so really what I'm talking about is living in climates where you're forced indoors several months a year. That describes a good chunk of the country.

You know, very recently humans invented this device called a jacket. No ####. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

Any tips on finding a good Lasik doctor?

No, I don't.  It was a while ago for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mr. furley said:

which is why i never understood football players not wanting to max out their dollars by playing in Green Bay

a minimum contract here puts you in the top 1%.  everything is cheap.

a minimum contract in NY, Miami, LA, etc. puts you solidly in the middle. maybe. 

If NFL players had some semblance of fiscal responsibility, they could live and retire comfortably just about anywhere on the planet. Personally, I’d take a big pay cut to play for San Diego, San Fran, Seattle or Denver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dentist said:

Interestingly enough I have a sister who lives in Ft. Myers, so she's in a wonderful climate.   I haven't visited her in 10 years, nor have her friends, my dad hates traveling to her and will only do it once per year out of obligation.   I've seen similar experiences with multiple people..  people with homes in the Caribbean and such..  people just won't go out of their way to come to you... whereas now I live 5 min from my parents and my kids have a wonderful relationship with their grandparents...  my sisters kids barely have any relationship with them by comparison.

Hmmm. I’ve had little trouble with people visiting me in Hawaii. And I made the trip to visit my sister when she was in San Fran, but never in New Hampshire.
 

I wouldn’t want to go to Ft. Myers either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

You know, very recently humans invented this device called a jacket. No ####. 

Thanks for the tip. I lived in Ann Arbor a couple years. Cold weather and snow are only useful if there are mountains around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

If NFL players had some semblance of fiscal responsibility, they could live and retire comfortably just about anywhere on the planet. Personally, I’d take a big pay cut to play for San Diego, San Fran, Seattle or Denver.

Well Terminalxylem, I have some bad news...

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mr. furley said:

which is why i never understood football players not wanting to max out their dollars by playing in Green Bay

a minimum contract here puts you in the top 1%.  everything is cheap.

a minimum contract in NY, Miami, LA, etc. puts you solidly in the middle. maybe. 

No income tax in Florida makes a huge difference. And not like you have to live there year round or retire there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Razors/razor blades. There's probably something better, and I've tried many of the alternatives recommended here in various threads, but the top end Gilletttes really seem to do the least amount of damage to my face and last longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.