What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr Sleep movie (1 Viewer)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
Anyone excited for Dr Sleep?

I am going to watch The Shining tonight and hopefully Dr Sleep tomorrow. If the movie stays true to the book it really should not be necessary for a Shining refresher but some of the trailers look like there will be more call backs to the Shining.

I liked both books. I thought the Shining was better but I did enjoy Dr Sleep. Should be a fun movie. When reading the book I was getting some Race with the Devil vibes. Anyone here remember that flick? It scared the #### out of me as a kid.

Very excited, but I don't get to the movies much so I'll probably wait to stream.  The Shining is one of my favorite movies ever and Dr. Sleep is one of the best King books I've read in a long time.

I am going to watch The Shining tonight and hopefully Dr Sleep tomorrow. If the movie stays true to the book it really should not be necessary for a Shining refresher but some of the trailers look like there will be more call backs to the Shining.

I liked both books. I thought the Shining was better but I did enjoy Dr Sleep. Should be a fun movie. When reading the book I was getting some Race with the Devil vibes. Anyone here remember that flick? It scared the #### out of me as a kid.
So because the book and the movie end differently, the director had to make a choice as to which he wanted to follow.  He said he wanted to stay true to the book, but because people loved the movie so much, he wanted it to honor Kubrik's version, too.  Because of that, Stephen King almost didn't allow him to make the movie.  He finally convinced King that he could do it in a way that honored the movie version of The Shining, but stayed truer to the the books.  King ended up giving the go ahead after some persuading.  And I believe King has given his approval to Dr. Sleep after seeing it.

I'm excited to see it, but I'll probably wait for it on DVD.  The trailers look like it could go either way.  I'm hoping it's good, but I'm preparing for it to be bad.  

Has anyone heard any reviews yet?

So because the book and the movie end differently, the director had to make a choice as to which he wanted to follow.  He said he wanted to stay true to the book, but because people loved the movie so much, he wanted it to honor Kubrik's version, too.  Because of that, Stephen King almost didn't allow him to make the movie.  He finally convinced King that he could do it in a way that honored the movie version of The Shining, but stayed truer to the the books.  King ended up giving the go ahead after some persuading.  And I believe King has given his approval to Dr. Sleep after seeing it.

I'm excited to see it, but I'll probably wait for it on DVD.  The trailers look like it could go either way.  I'm hoping it's good, but I'm preparing for it to be bad.  

Has anyone heard any reviews yet?
I've seen 4 or 5. "Just ok" to "pretty good" sums them up.

I was disappointed in it because it does follow the the Shining movie narrative rather then the book. There was some cool stuff but way to many call backs to the shining. They also changed/left out some of the book that I really liked. That is all I will say as I do not want to spoil anything. I do think the casual King fan who maybe did not read Dr Sleep may like this. It really does have some cool stuff, it's just not the book I read or the movie I was wanting.

For you Dark Tower/ S King easter egg fans. The words "Ka is a wheel" were said. 😁

* Ewen McGregor does a really good job.

I vaguely remember that movie. The human sacrifice and the RV right.

I've been of King for a while, what's the tie in to The Shining?

Listening to others talk about this movie is softening me on it. The director does try to do the almost impossible and marry Dr Sleep to the Shining movie and the book. He probably did about a good a job as he could. I would still have preferred a Dr Sleep movie that existed in a world without Kubricks Shining.

The movie is good with some really good and disturbing scenes. Plot is fun as well.

I only counted one jump scare and I'm not sure it really counts. That is a great thing for a horror movie.

I stand by my criticism of to many shining movie call backs.

Users who are viewing this thread