What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis’s commentary on the movie Roadhouse (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
I don’t know how I never saw this movie before.  But I started it on TV this past weekend when it was on, and then I couldn’t finish it and forgot to DVR it, so I spent like $15 to buy it on some streaming service.  Just finished it tonight. 

Observations:

1. Best Line: “I used to __ guys like you in jail.”  Wow. Just wow. 

2. The nude scene with the tall blonde walking away towards the door. Wow. Just wow. 

3.  The guy sitting down playing guitar.  Wow. Just wow.

4. I never realized Sam Elliot was ever young. Or, well, younger. Wow. Just wow. 

5. I had totally forgotten Patrick Swayze died fairly young of cancer. Wow. Sad.  

That’s all I got. Other than the movie started much better than it ended. And sometimes you forget how cheesy the 80’s were. Holy heavens. 

The best thing about this movie is that it is actual a prequel to The Big Lebowski because Brad Wesley moves to LA and changes his name to Jackie Treehorn.

It was a good move because I have no idea how the hell he was making any money in that tumbleweed junction.  Nor do I understand where the hell all those people came from to make the double deuce popular.

all in all, I give this movie 10 stars (out of 4).

:lmao:

Love how preposterous these 80's movies plots are in hindsight. 

Midwest bar wants to clean its act. Only apparent option is bouncer from out east. But the clean-up is foiled by small town rich guy for no significant reason.  East coast bouncer must defeat rich guy and his goons.   
This dude does a lot of 60 second recaps. Might need its own thread

Midwest bar wants to clean its act. Only apparent option is bouncer from out east. But the clean-up is foiled by small town rich guy for no significant reason.  East coast bouncer must defeat rich guy and his goons.   
:penalty:

The real trouble didn't start until they stopped buying their booze from Brad Wesley.

Also, there is no way he is Jackie Trehorn from The Big Lebowski, as he was gunned down at the end by all the little guys he had been bullying since before Dalton even showed up.

But the monster truck made it all believable. 

I never understood the scene where the henchmen show up at the rich guys house. Four or five pile out of what looks like a VW sedan. The others from a monster truck? @Otis can you break this down from a cinematic perspective. Please and thank you. 

But the monster truck made it all believable. 

I never understood the scene where the henchmen show up at the rich guys house. Four or five pile out of what looks like a VW sedan. The others from a monster truck? @Otis can you break this down from a cinematic perspective. Please and thank you. 
Sure. It was that juxtaposition between the cars that the writers intended to represent the stark contrast between the two groups at the opposite ends of the socioeconomic scale. The wealthy man who runs the town, versus the shopkeepers he runs. His henchmen were just a vehicle for that theme, and the monster truck some dramatic imagery. 

Plus monster trucks are ####### rad. 

Sure. It was that juxtaposition between the cars that the writers intended to represent the stark contrast between the two groups at the opposite ends of the socioeconomic scale. The wealthy man who runs the town, versus the shopkeepers he runs. His henchmen were just a vehicle for that theme, and the monster truck some dramatic imagery. 

Plus monster trucks are ####### rad. 
You know what's better than a monster truck?

Two monster trucks!!!  

Road House + Red Dawn + Point Break is probably the greatest resume for any actor ever. I can't imagine it will ever be topped. 
And, don't forget, while all this was going down and he was the envy of all dudes who wanted to be just a fraction as cool as his characters, he was the object of lust for all ladies thanks to Dirty Dancing + Ghost. 

Last edited by a moderator:

The real trouble didn't start until they stopped buying their booze from Brad Wesley.

Also, there is no way he is Jackie Trehorn from The Big Lebowski, as he was gunned down at the end by all the little guys he had been bullying since before Dalton even showed up.
:rolleyes: what better way to re-invent yourself in LA than to fake your own death?

Dalton fired the bartender that was skimming for Wesley and kicks the crap out of a bunch of Wesley’s goons while cleaning up the bar. Wesley tries to hire Dalton to be his enforcer but he refuses. That’s when Wesley (this hicktown’s version of the mob) starts putting the screws to the bar cutting off their booze shipments. Dalton’s actions also inspires some of the other local business owners to not pay Wesley’s extortion money so he starts cracking down on the town wrecking the dealership and blowing up the hardware store as examples to others.

I may have seen this movie a million times growing up. We had a VHS copy in addition to the constant rotations on tv.

guy has his own helicopter and helipad, seemingly from the billion dollar liquor business at the double doosh.  podunk town, visited by instagram models.  keith david gets 5th billing and 1 line.  they make swayze’s character a health nut, while he smoked himself to death.  why is that club there?

guy has his own helicopter and helipad, seemingly from the billion dollar liquor business at the double doosh.  podunk town, visited by instagram models.  keith david gets 5th billing and 1 line.  they make swayze’s character a health nut, while he smoked himself to death.  why is that club there?
This guy also had 7-11, PhotoMat and JC Penney money coming in. 

He was born to play that part

Dalton fired the bartender that was skimming for Wesley and kicks the crap out of a bunch of Wesley’s goons while cleaning up the bar. Wesley tries to hire Dalton to be his enforcer but he refuses. That’s when Wesley (this hicktown’s version of the mob) starts putting the screws to the bar cutting off their booze shipments. Dalton’s actions also inspires some of the other local business owners to not pay Wesley’s extortion money so he starts cracking down on the town wrecking the dealership and blowing up the hardware store as examples to others.

I may have seen this movie a million times growing up. We had a VHS copy in addition to the constant rotations on tv.
I forgot about that other stuff. I stand corrected.

:rolleyes: what better way to re-invent yourself in LA than to fake your own death?
Tough to fake being gunned down with shotguns by the guys that you've been bullying for years.

I forgot about that other stuff. I stand corrected.

Tough to fake being gunned down with shotguns by the guys that you've been bullying for years.
You're a smart boy, aren't you, Charlie? You're just not too realistic. Christ, he came up the hard way, from the streets of Chicago. You know, when he came to that town after Korea there was nothing. He brought the mall there. He got the 7-Eleven. He got the Fotomat there. Christ, JC Penney is came there because of him!  You ask anybody, they'll tell you.

He has a purpose on this earth. A destiny.  He has a faith in that destiny. It tells him to gather unto him what is his. 

I also thought that Kelly Lynch out kicked her coverage. Swayze was an obvious 10, while Kelly was a 7. At best. 

Large mountains appear in the background throughout the movie (including a shot with a sign giving directions to Los Angeles and Bakersfield) despite it being set in rural Missouri

Dalton gets $5k up front and $500- per night.  That would be $187,500- if he worked every single day.  FBGs do better and don't get stabbed or involved in murder.....I think.

Users who are viewing this thread