What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stupid people (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I stop to get gas this morning, because my light always comes on on the coldest day of the year, and as I'm pumping gas a lady pulls up on the other side of the pump.  She stops her SUV and exits her vehicle.  Because of where we both are, I can only see her as she steps out of the car, but I see her look to the back of her car, stop, half heartedly throw her hands up slightly and get back in the car.  Even without seeing the rest of her car, I can tell that her gas tank is on the other side of her car.  We've all done it at some point.  Maybe in a rental car or borrowing a friend's car.  And forgetting that you're not in the friendly confines of your own vehicle.  So no judgement here.  Yet.  (Crazy obvious foreshadowing)

She then gets back in her car and starts it.  The SUV lurches forward quickly as the car's movements give away the driver's panic and frustration.  She quickly does a small, loop around the parking lot as if she had the steering wheel pegged as far to the right as it could go her entire short trip, only to end up in the exact same position she was 5 seconds ago.  The SUV engine shuts off again and she exits her car, only to look back and see the exact same vision she just saw no more than a minute ago.  

This time she throws her hands up wholeheartedly and lets out a groan of frustration as she leans her head back to look skyward.  She hops back in her car and slams the door, firing the engine back up to a scary rev.  By now, I'm finishing up filling my tank.  As I begin the process of replacing the nozzle and completing my transaction, she quickly speeds to another fuel pump island leaving the obviously defective one behind.  As I get in my car, I can see her exit her vehicle only to realize that pump also doesn't line up with her gas tank on the passenger side.  

Sometimes I wonder how, we as a species, can have both the most information readily available to us than ever before in the history of mankind, and also be the dumbest we've ever been as a whole.  

For any stupid people reading this thread that can relate....

your gas gauge on your dashboard has an arrow on it...that’s pointing to the side of your car the gas tank is on. 
Most cars have this.  I noticed my rental car I had recently did not have this.  It was a Nissan Altima.  

your gas gauge on your dashboard has an arrow on it...that’s pointing to the side of your car the gas tank is on. 
I found this out a few years ago one of the most valuable things I ever learned 

We're developing into a society consumed with distraction in which we need to specifically be told what to do. We don't look at a map to figure out how to get from point A to point B anymore. We just plug the location into the gps and let the robots tell us how to get there. She's not thinking about which side of the car the gas tank is located. She's distracted with something else and expecting the robots to tell her where to park. We may have more information now than ever before, but our ability to retain and utilize it is a bell curve - and each of ours is different. Some people are on the wrong side of it and experience the law of diminishing returns. More information is not a good thing in their case, it's the opposite.

I stop to get gas this morning, because my light always comes on on the coldest day of the year, and as I'm pumping gas a lady pulls up on the other side of the pump.  She stops her SUV and exits her vehicle.  Because of where we both are, I can only see her as she steps out of the car, but I see her look to the back of her car, stop, half heartedly throw her hands up slightly and get back in the car.  Even without seeing the rest of her car, I can tell that her gas tank is on the other side of her car.  We've all done it at some point.  Maybe in a rental car or borrowing a friend's car.  And forgetting that you're not in the friendly confines of your own vehicle.  So no judgement here.  Yet.  (Crazy obvious foreshadowing)

She then gets back in her car and starts it.  The SUV lurches forward quickly as the car's movements give away the driver's panic and frustration.  She quickly does a small, loop around the parking lot as if she had the steering wheel pegged as far to the right as it could go her entire short trip, only to end up in the exact same position she was 5 seconds ago.  The SUV engine shuts off again and she exits her car, only to look back and see the exact same vision she just saw no more than a minute ago.  

This time she throws her hands up wholeheartedly and lets out a groan of frustration as she leans her head back to look skyward.  She hops back in her car and slams the door, firing the engine back up to a scary rev.  By now, I'm finishing up filling my tank.  As I begin the process of replacing the nozzle and completing my transaction, she quickly speeds to another fuel pump island leaving the obviously defective one behind.  As I get in my car, I can see her exit her vehicle only to realize that pump also doesn't line up with her gas tank on the passenger side.  

Sometimes I wonder how, we as a species, can have both the most information readily available to us than ever before in the history of mankind, and also be the dumbest we've ever been as a whole.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupgBykQnko

I don't think that knowing this would have helped this particular individual.....

We're developing into a society consumed with distraction in which we need to specifically be told what to do. We don't look at a map to figure out how to get from point A to point B anymore. We just plug the location into the gps and let the robots tell us how to get there. She's not thinking about which side of the car the gas tank is located. She's distracted with something else and expecting the robots to tell her where to park. We may have more information now than ever before, but our ability to retain and utilize it is a bell curve - and each of ours is different. Some people are on the wrong side of it and experience the law of diminishing returns. More information is not a good thing in their case, it's the opposite.
In other words, smarter technology is making us dumber.

You do know that the current youngest generation is going to say this same thing in about 20 years about all of us.

I realized that when my then 3 year old son knew how to turn on the TV, switch the smart TV to Netflix and scroll to what he wanted to watch. 

And then a couple weeks later when he said he wanted to call mommy and I dismissed him with an "ok buddy, in a bit".  Only to hear the soft tone of an outgoing call, I turn around to see that he had unlocked my phone (wtf - when did he figure that out -- better hide my pr0n), opened up my favorites contacts, found mommy in there and dialed.

Was at a gas station yesterday and a woman pulls up in a F-350 dually truck on the other side of the pump I'm using.  She got out, swiped her card, and started pumping away.  I couldn't see what she was doing, and wasn't really paying attention, I just noticed that it was a relatively small woman in this giant truck.  

I was done filling mine, but was cleaning the windshield and gathering some trash out of the inside to throw away, and I hear her say to herself "oh nononononononono please oh God nononono..." I poked my head around the side and asked her if she was ok and she's just standing there frozen with the pump nozzle in her hand, halfway back into the slot/hanger where it goes.  I quickly realized (about 5 seconds slower than she did) that she was holding the black gas pump handle in her hand, and the green diesel pump handle was resting in its slot to the side.   Yup, she'd pumped a whole tank full of gas into a diesel truck. 

I told her to call her husband/family/brother/whoever and get a tow truck and whatever she did, not to crank it.  Felt bad for her. She had explained that she normally only drove her BMW or her daughter's Maxima, and that this was her husband's truck she had borrowed to go pick up a piece of furniture she'd bought, and she was trying to do him a favor and fill it up before returning it. 

You do know that the current youngest generation is going to say this same thing in about 20 years about all of us.

I realized that when my then 3 year old son knew how to turn on the TV, switch the smart TV to Netflix and scroll to what he wanted to watch. 

And then a couple weeks later when he said he wanted to call mommy and I dismissed him with an "ok buddy, in a bit".  Only to hear the soft tone of an outgoing call, I turn around to see that he had unlocked my phone (wtf - when did he figure that out -- better hide my pr0n), opened up my favorites contacts, found mommy in there and dialed.
Obviously the younger generations are better at using technology.  However, what I've noticed is that it appears to be at the expense of the ability to think critically and solve problems that technology cannot solve for them.  Those are skills I see lacking in "kids these days."

Oh, and get off my lawn.

Obviously the younger generations are better at using technology.  However, what I've noticed is that it appears to be at the expense of the ability to think critically and solve problems that technology cannot solve for them.  Those are skills I see lacking in "kids these days."

Oh, and get off my lawn.
Tech's played a role, but I think it's more a result of changes in the education system and what's happening at home. Kids now are smarter than ever before, but they need to be put in an environment in which that's fostered and not stunted - it's on adults to adapt. Otherwise those skills won't ever develop for most. 

Oh, and get off my lawn.
Also, I can't count how many times my daughter, her friends or my nieces/nephews will ask me a question and I'll say, "Google it." And they'll roll their eyes and act like I just told them to drive 20 miles to the library, search the card catalog for the correct book, find what aisle that book is in, then search through the pages of that book to possibly find the answer you're looking for.  

I mean, everything you've ever wanted to know is LITERALLY in their hands.  And they don't want to bother looking it up.  

That's a gem. The human race is getting dumber.

Tech's played a role, but I think it's more a result of changes in the education system and what's happening at home. Kids now are smarter than ever before, but they need to be put in an environment in which that's fostered and not stunted - it's on adults to adapt. Otherwise those skills won't ever develop for most. 
It depends on how you define this.  I think they may be "book" smarter now but they are losing common sense and aren't learning "street" smarts.  Drop them somewhere where they have to fend for themselves and actually think and there are big problems. 

It depends on how you define this.  I think they may be "book" smarter now but they are losing common sense and aren't learning "street" smarts.  Drop them somewhere where they have to fend for themselves and actually think and there are big problems. 
Agreed, hence the line I added immediately after what you bolded. 

Agreed, hence the line I added immediately after what you bolded. 
I took that to mean you need to keep them away from the things they don't know and foster them to maximize book smart and not stunt that.  I would go the opposite and say they need to be put in the real world to fend for themselves.   Maybe that is what you meant but it didn't come off like that to me.

I took that to mean you need to keep them away from the things they don't know and foster them to maximize book smart and not stunt that.  I would go the opposite and say they need to be put in the real world to fend for themselves.   Maybe that is what you meant but it didn't come off like that to me.
Yep, that's what I meant, we're on the same page. I love putting my kids in uncomfortable situations. But not in the back of a Volkswagen. 

I’ve mastered getting the side right on rental cars, still struggling with how to open the gas cap door.  I swear they hide that thing in a different place every time.

Most cars have this.  I noticed my rental car I had recently did not have this.  It was a Nissan Altima.  
Had a Kia Optima rental car with a display like this.  Gas pump with an arrow must mean to fill on that side.  Nope, it's the miles remaining. It took a bit to find the other arrow.

Long day of work, sleeting, in a not-so-nice area of KC, MO at a busy gas station.  I wasn't happy.  I think I even pulled around to the other side of the pumps still on the wrong side.  :lmao:  

Once she finally got it there's a 30% chance she drove off with the hose attached.
Sadly I did this about 15 years ago.  Started the pump, went in to get a Diet Mountain Dew, came back and got in car, drove 10 feet and heard a thumping noise.  Immediately realized I'm a dumb ###.  Gas spewing everywhere.   Packed gas station.  Ran in to get the attendant and he shut it down.  Nice guy.  Told me it was fine and started cleanup.  And I sheepishly drove off under the glaring looks of judgmental people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly I did this about 15 years ago.  Started the pump, went in to get a Diet Mountain Dew, came back and got in car, drove 10 feet and heard a thumping noise.  Immediately realized I'm a dumb ###.  Gas spewing everywhere.   Packed gas station.  Ran in to get the attendant and he shut it down.  Nice guy.  Told me it was fine and started cleanup.  And I sheepishly drive off under the glaring looks or judgmental people.
Have a buddy who has done this twice at the same gas station :lol:

I tell him two more times and he can make a coffee table.

The worst people in the world are those that park at a gas station pump but are not actively pumping gas. Especially when it's busy and the backup goes into the street.

Pull up, stop, go in to the convenience store, shop around, walk the aisles, browse the magazines, decide what junk food to buy, get in line, "oh yeah, I need gas too", forget what pump they're at, walk out, look at the number, walk back in, "number six", pay, then, finally, pump gas.

Dude, we're waiting out here. 
I get this but the mini mart near my house has 12 gas pumps and exactly FOUR parking spaces.  

I’ve been teaching kids for 25 years now.  They are the same now as they were back when I was a kid and when I first started teaching.

Kids are dumb.

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm still confused. Mine has a triangle. Is my gas tank on the left, the top right, or the bottom right?

Users who are viewing this thread