Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheIronSheik

Stupid people

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Sadly I did this about 15 years ago.  Started the pump, went in to get a Diet Mountain Dew, came back and got in car, drove 10 feet and heard a thumping noise.  Immediately realized I'm a dumb ###.  Gas spewing everywhere.   Packed gas station.  Ran in to get the attendant and he shut it down.  Nice guy.  Told me it was fine and started cleanup.  And I sheepishly drive off under the glaring looks or judgmental people.

Have a buddy who has done this twice at the same gas station :lol:

I tell him two more times and he can make a coffee table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Random anecdote, but, I knew a guy who worked in the GHW Bush White House in the early 90s. After Bush lost to Clinton, this guy got set up with a job as a lobbyist with Shell. So he shows up for his first day to lobby Congress in his expensive as hell suit, cufflinks, and perfect hair and everything, and the guys say it's corporate policy at Shell everyone in the company has to pump gas at least once. So they drive him to the dirtiest, grimiest Shell station in Washington DC and make him wait for the next car to pull up so he can fill 'er up. They took a photo of him out there in his suit, putting the nozzle in the car, and sent it to Bush with the note "This is what happens when you lose elections! Your poor friend had to get himself a job pumping gas!"

I will have to interview Tom Brady first before I offer him the job but he should be able to answer at least one question.  Mr. Pickles knows how I like to use PV = nRT and Tom knows this formula really well.

Edited by bradyfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 11:56 AM, Walking Boot said:

The worst people in the world are those that park at a gas station pump but are not actively pumping gas. Especially when it's busy and the backup goes into the street.

Pull up, stop, go in to the convenience store, shop around, walk the aisles, browse the magazines, decide what junk food to buy, get in line, "oh yeah, I need gas too", forget what pump they're at, walk out, look at the number, walk back in, "number six", pay, then, finally, pump gas.

Dude, we're waiting out here. 

I get this but the mini mart near my house has 12 gas pumps and exactly FOUR parking spaces.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 3:53 PM, Gally said:

It depends on how you define this.  I think they may be "book" smarter now but they are losing common sense and aren't learning "street" smarts.  Drop them somewhere where they have to fend for themselves and actually think and there are big problems. 

I’ve been teaching kids for 25 years now.  They are the same now as they were back when I was a kid and when I first started teaching.

Kids are dumb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, offdee said:

For any stupid people reading this thread that can relate....

your gas gauge on your dashboard has an arrow on it...that’s pointing to the side of your car the gas tank is on. 

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm still confused. Mine has a triangle. Is my gas tank on the left, the top right, or the bottom right?

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jhib said:

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm still confused. Mine has a triangle. Is my gas tank on the left, the top right, or the bottom right?

 

 

You’ve found the correct thread. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, McJose said:

I’ve been teaching kids for 25 years now.  They are the same now as they were back when I was a kid and when I first started teaching.

Kids are dumb.

How is one in a position to judge if one is not smarter?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 7:14 PM, McJose said:

I get this but the mini mart near my house has 12 gas pumps and exactly FOUR parking spaces.  

I've worked on a lot of gas stations both in a ground-up construction capacity and in renovations... most jurisdictions count the "spaces" at the pumps as actual parking spaces.  So it's kind of expected that people can park there if the "typical" spaces are taken up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nirad3 said:

I've worked on a lot of gas stations both in a ground-up construction capacity and in renovations... most jurisdictions count the "spaces" at the pumps as actual parking spaces.  So it's kind of expected that people can park there if the "typical" spaces are taken up.  

oh sure, actual clarity to the situation.

 

I've headed out twice with the nozzel in my gas tank.  i should have been paying more attention, but I didn't.  

shoot me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, irishidiot said:

I've headed out twice with the nozzel in my gas tank.  i should have been paying more attention, but I didn't.  

shoot me.

I can't even imagine doing this once yet alone twice. What exactly is so important while pumping gas that "not paying attention" seems like a valid excuse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly, my first thought was: Can you imagine this woman attempting to do her federal tax return this spring? I know that the vast majority of folks either pay someone else to do it or use a software program that does it for them. But I believe in doing it myself, and so I have a sense of how difficult and convoluted it is. How in the world could she ever be expected to do something so complex as her taxes? It would be absolutely impossible for her to do them correctly. Just sayin'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nirad3 said:

I've worked on a lot of gas stations both in a ground-up construction capacity and in renovations... most jurisdictions count the "spaces" at the pumps as actual parking spaces.  So it's kind of expected that people can park there if the "typical" spaces are taken up.  

I'm going to try this next time I'm at the always full Pilot station... park at the pump and walk across the street to the Wendy's for a 45-minute lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I can't even imagine doing this once yet alone twice. What exactly is so important while pumping gas that "not paying attention" seems like a valid excuse?

Went in to buy a paper.   Came out & drove off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people have mental blocks with things like spacial awareness. It's hard for those of us who are 'normal' to understand how something so simple can be so confusing for others but it's a real thing. I knew a guy, a manager at an IT company, who could not tell left from right, so when his GPS was telling him to turn right/left he had a method of holding his fingers in a 'guns' position, the 'L' appears properly in the left hand and that was the only way he could distinguish left from right. He did this every single time he had to make a turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sublimeone said:

Some people have mental blocks with things like spacial awareness. It's hard for those of us who are 'normal' to understand how something so simple can be so confusing for others but it's a real thing. I knew a guy, a manager at an IT company, who could not tell left from right, so when his GPS was telling him to turn right/left he had a method of holding his fingers in a 'guns' position, the 'L' appears properly in the left hand and that was the only way he could distinguish left from right. He did this every single time he had to make a turn.

If I am driving in an unfamiliar area and get stuck on a winding road I lose track of direction.  If I'm lucky it's a time of the day where I can recalibrate by looking at where the sun is in the sky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:41 AM, TheIronSheik said:

Most cars have this.  I noticed my rental car I had recently did not have this.  It was a Nissan Altima.  

If you don't have the arrow, check which side the gas handle is on in the little gas tank picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, pecorino said:

Oddly, my first thought was: Can you imagine this woman attempting to do her federal tax return this spring? I know that the vast majority of folks either pay someone else to do it or use a software program that does it for them. But I believe in doing it myself, and so I have a sense of how difficult and convoluted it is. How in the world could she ever be expected to do something so complex as her taxes? It would be absolutely impossible for her to do them correctly. Just sayin'. 

Wait..what?  You do your taxes 100% with no assistance?  No software..nothing?  Why?  I mean that's like saying you write letters without a computer.  Or maybe you make phone calls with 2 cans and a string?  Smoke signals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not related to cars...but today's stupid people issue.

So...there was some ice and snow overnight.  Being in the south and some rural areas around the city...there are areas that get hit worse than others and then they often cancel school for the whole county.  School system always takes a ton of flack for it no matter what they do.  Last night, they post across multiple social media, that they would announce something at 5am if school was cancelled or delayed.  They do so right at 5 am today that there would be a two hour delay.  Of course the complaints come in...which are mostly pretty silly.  But then there are multiple people commenting...asking when busses would run.  As if adding 2 hours to the normal arrival time is just math that is too difficult.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Wait..what?  You do your taxes 100% with no assistance?  No software..nothing?  Why?  I mean that's like saying you write letters without a computer.  Or maybe you make phone calls with 2 cans and a string?  Smoke signals?

I do write letters occasionally, yes. The taxes thing is a matter of pride plus I don’t trust anyone. I want to know what’s going on under the hood. And, yes, our tax code is wack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the gas station thing goes, I find it's a good idea to actually look at your new car and remember what side the nozzle goes into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Teddy Stickles said:

I'm going to try this next time I'm at the always full Pilot station... park at the pump and walk across the street to the Wendy's for a 45-minute lunch.

You do that.  :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

You do that.  :lol:

He'll be able to study the artistic capabilities of the folks that frequent the place by looking at the varied art keyed in to his vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, offdee said:

For any stupid people reading this thread that can relate....

your gas gauge on your dashboard has an arrow on it...that’s pointing to the side of your car the gas tank is on. 

I feel that even if she knew tip this she would still have done the same thing. :wall:

I see was already mentioned above.

Edited by falguy
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Not related to cars...but today's stupid people issue.

So...there was some ice and snow overnight.  Being in the south and some rural areas around the city...there are areas that get hit worse than others and then they often cancel school for the whole county.  School system always takes a ton of flack for it no matter what they do.  Last night, they post across multiple social media, that they would announce something at 5am if school was cancelled or delayed.  They do so right at 5 am today that there would be a two hour delay.  Of course the complaints come in...which are mostly pretty silly.  But then there are multiple people commenting...asking when busses would run.  As if adding 2 hours to the normal arrival time is just math that is too difficult.

 

4 consecutive overpasses on I-10 north of San Antonio.. accidents and multiple accidents resulting from the guy/gal driving around the wreck thinking the laws of physics are different for their car.

eta - different complaint than yours, still stupid.

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

If I am driving in an unfamiliar area and get stuck on a winding road I lose track of direction.  If I'm lucky it's a time of the day where I can recalibrate by looking at where the sun is in the sky.

Your gonna go blind, kid.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, matuski said:

4 consecutive overpasses on I-10 north of San Antonio.. accidents and multiple accidents resulting from the guy/gal driving around the wreck thinking the laws of physics are different for their car.

eta - different complaint than yours, still stupid.

Trucks been flying off the Finesilver Curve for how long? And these are supposedly "professional" drivers and even when there's no weather. You just know icy overpasses are gonna wreak havoc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 11:11 PM, Teddy Stickles said:

I'm going to try this next time I'm at the always full Pilot station... park at the pump and walk across the street to the Wendy's for a 45-minute lunch.

I'm guessing your car would be towed.  Parking is for customers only.  Not to use to go to the Wendy's across the street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:
On 11/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, DallasDMac said:
On 11/12/2019 at 2:36 PM, nirad3 said:

You do that.  :lol:

He'll be able to study the artistic capabilities of the folks that frequent the place by looking at the varied art keyed in to his vehicle.

I'm guessing your car would be towed.  Parking is for customers only.  Not to use to go to the Wendy's across the street.

:sarcasm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I'm guessing your car would be towed.  Parking is for customers only.  Not to use to go to the Wendy's across the street.

People do this at the gas station in Junction, TX all the time.  The gas station has a McDonalds inside that gets super busy.  Lines for the pump get ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, matuski said:

People do this at the gas station in Junction, TX all the time.  The gas station has a McDonalds inside that gets super busy.  Lines for the pump get ridiculous.

This infuriates me.

The Pilot station has a huge super-sized mini-mart, a Subway/DQ, a Denny's, trucker showers, etc. so this happens here frequently.

When the gas pumps are backed up I bite the bullet and pay the $10/fill-up premium at the Chevron or Shell across the street.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.