What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Power Pop (1 Viewer)

The Anderson Council

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kLYx6ibSIAvNIx00k7z9cukVdl4GNc4XI

Really, you could put the entire Smithereens catalog on shuffle and you're good. I think I'll do that right now.
Didn't realize there was another Smithereens fan here.

Since the word 'pop' was used, I give you Top of the Pops.

When my teenage son heard this one, he asked if they were a 90's boy band.  Maybe if they had branded themselves that way they would have been more popular.

Big Smithereens fan here. 

ETA: Hoodoo Gurus are vastly underrated imo
I think I love you.

I've mentioned this here before, but in ~87-88 I went to see The Bangles in part because the Gurus were opening for them.  Sadly, we got caught in a traffic jam and missed them completely. Though I didn't keep close track of them after the 80's, they did surprise me with this gem from about 10 years ago.

I think I love you.

I've mentioned this here before, but in ~87-88 I went to see The Bangles in part because the Gurus were opening for them.  Sadly, we got caught in a traffic jam and missed them completely. Though I didn't keep close track of them after the 80's, they did surprise me with this gem from about 10 years ago.
My HS band covered two or three HG songs when that album came out...dig it up, I want you back...forgetting the other. Loved the album and really fun to play. Never got to see them live thiugh

My HS band covered two or three HG songs when that album came out...dig it up, I want you back...forgetting the other. Loved the album and really fun to play. Never got to see them live thiugh
Could it have been Like Wow Wipeout

I Want You Back was the first song of theirs that I heard. With that trippy video that went with it, I was hooked.

Back to America's Band Since 1980, I'm hoping to catch them next year if/when they come around with Marshall Crenshaw. They supposedly do a meet and greet after the show.  Would love to just shake their hands and thank them for their music.

Could it have been Like Wow Wipeout

I Want You Back was the first song of theirs that I heard. With that trippy video that went with it, I was hooked.

Back to America's Band Since 1980, I'm hoping to catch them next year if/when they come around with Marshall Crenshaw. They supposedly do a meet and greet after the show.  Would love to just shake their hands and thank them for their music.
YES!

Not sure why I got the "laughing" smiley from @Charlie Steiner.
Sorry, I guess I was feeling a little music-snobby.  I just never thought of Pumped Up Kicks or 99 Red Balloons as power pop songs. I'll get off my high horse. Like you said, there are many different definitions. What's power pop to me may not be the same to you as well, and that's ok.  Carry on.

Sorry, I guess I was feeling a little music-snobby.  I just never thought of Pumped Up Kicks or 99 Red Balloons as power pop songs. I'll get off my high horse. Like you said, there are many different definitions. What's power pop to me may not be the same to you as well, and that's ok.  Carry on.
It's not every day I get out-snobbed.  Well-played.

I admitted earlier to not being an expert, but for me it needs to be a bit stadium rock, but lite. And pop to me is usually 4/4 and in a major key. I make my own rules.

I admitted earlier to not being an expert, but for me it needs to be a bit stadium rock, but lite. And pop to me is usually 4/4 and in a major key. I make my own rules.
Sounds right.   Power pop is not an era.  Its a style.  Maybe light rock with a good hook.  

Users who are viewing this thread