What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thought Provoking Questions Ahead of Week 10 Games - Updated Week 11* (1 Viewer)

brownies19

Footballguy
With fantasy teams looking to make a playoff push, trade deadlines looming, lineup decisions pending amidst 3 final weeks of byes; here's some open-ended questions for discussion:

Quarterbacks: We are back to full health (if Brissett goes) amonsgt starting QB's, but particularly for 2QB leagues - what QB currently on the bench is more likely to see action (barring injury)? Chase Daniel if Trubisky struggles versus Detroit? Marcus Mariota getting job back if Tannehill gets blown out by KC this weekend? Drew Lock or Brett Rypien in Denver? Organizations going back to Josh Rosen, Case Keenum, Garnder Minshew or Andy Dalton?

Will Jacoby Brissett play this weekend and open up a roster spot for those holding both Brissett/Hoyer?

Running Backs: Will a significant lead dog emerge out of Denver (Lindsay/Freeman), Houston (Hyde/D.Johnson), San Francisco (Coleman/Breida, etc), Philadelphia (Howard/Sanders) backfields to take a larger share than 60/40 split seeing from these today? 

Who is the backup to Gurley in LA? Darrell Henderson or Malcolm Brown with both healthy now and Henderson looking good in his opportunities over recent weeks.

What type of share does Drake get in Arizona with David Johnson not on injury report?

With declaration of RoJo in Tampa Bay, does his arc path change for better?

How does the Cleveland backfield shake out with Kareem Hunt coming back?

What does the Washington backfield look like once Derrius Guice returns?

Wide Receiver/Tight End: Will George Kittle play on Monday night? If there is no word ahead of Sunday 1 pm EST games, what's the threshold of what you would consider? Is the best fallback option for MNF Ross Dwelley, Jacob Hollister or the returning Ed Dickson?

Asking a few questions to provoke though and help us grind it out over next month and a half!

I think the biggest story is Trubisky. I think if he is pulled he is done as a starter. Not a huge impact on Chicago QB play but I think it upgrades the entire offense. 

And then paves the way for a Newton/Nagy 2020 ticket. 

CHase Daniel is a better QB than Trubisky is. Leave it to the Vikings to injure Trubisky so they play the better QB and then lose to them.

I think Tannehill is marginally better than MM mostly because he is older and has more experience. I don't think either of them are much better than Trubisky.

Drew Lock should get the first look once he is healthy. Some folks think Rypien is better than he is. I am not sure how much his dad has to do with that opinion. His dad was alright.

I don't see any reason why the Dolphins would go back to Rosen. They actually won a game!! Oh wait thats bad.

I think the Bengals have seen enough of Dalton that they wont start him again regardless of how bad FInley might be.

Minnshew should likely keep the job but I guess they need to see what Foles can do. I could see Foles getting the hook if it isn't going well.

WHile the snap counts between Hyde and Johnson are pretty close the opportunities are almost 2 to 1 in Hydes favor. Hyde has been playing well too. Do I think Duke Johnson is a beter football player than Hyde? Absolutely. But my opinion does not matter here.

For SF Breida is their best RB. The mix is not going away as long as their RBs are healthy.

Howard is the best runner on the Eagles. Maybe Miles Sanders improves and can take more of the job next season. Sanders has proven himself to be a great receiving option.

I think Henderson has more value than Brown.

Sorry that is a lot of questions and I am not seeing a clear theme here to tie things together.

Tyrell Johnson is awesome.

I think the Bengals have seen enough of Dalton that they wont start him again regardless of how bad FInley might be.

Minnshew should likely keep the job but I guess they need to see what Foles can do. I could see Foles getting the hook if it isn't going well.
Dalton is super interesting in terms of go forward. I agree that the Bengals won't start him this year and throw Finley to the real world for reps. Question is, what happens next year? Might just depend on how well Finley takes his lumps, but if they are going with the rook now, will Dalton look to be traded? He's 32 and overall a bottom barrel starter so he carries some slight advantages for other teams -- but who? I don't see Dalton leaving Cinci just to be a backup somewhere else. Just interesting to me what might happen here.

Agree that Minshew deserves to keep the job based on performance -- even if it has tailed off a little. But this was Foles gig and he's simply more experienced. I don't see this being controversial whatsoever -- unless Foles all the sudden sucks.

Dalton is super interesting in terms of go forward. I agree that the Bengals won't start him this year and throw Finley to the real world for reps. Question is, what happens next year? Might just depend on how well Finley takes his lumps, but if they are going with the rook now, will Dalton look to be traded? He's 32 and overall a bottom barrel starter so he carries some slight advantages for other teams -- but who? I don't see Dalton leaving Cinci just to be a backup somewhere else. Just interesting to me what might happen here.

Agree that Minshew deserves to keep the job based on performance -- even if it has tailed off a little. But this was Foles gig and he's simply more experienced. I don't see this being controversial whatsoever -- unless Foles all the sudden sucks.
I do think Dalton will become a bridge QB for a team next season and maybe the starter while the team is bringing a younger guy along.

The Bengals may keep him for that themselves maybe?

If Finley doesn't play well and they draft a QB 1st overall or close to it, maybe they start Dakton again until the rookie is ready?

They did that before when they drafted Palmer, they still started Kitna that year.

Kitna hadn't been benched though.

I can see Dalton with the Bears or other teams maybe next season. 

I was curious any opinions on a range of different topics where I don't think there is/was a clear 100% definitive answer. With each passing game the picture typically becomes clearer (or more cloudy) 

- Trubisky's fate appeared sealed 25 minutes into the game yesterday, but the momentum of that 4th & 1 from their own 30 turned into 3 TD's. For 2 QB leagues that were holding Chase Daniels in hopes of filling in for a Rodgers, Cousins or other bye in coming weeks; that doesn't seem likely any longer.

- Denver noted Drew Lock started practicing today, so will be curious to what how this one plays out this week and remainder of season

- There weren't many whispers of Titans going back to Mariota; but had they been blown out by KC (versus a surprising upset); could have made that case.

- With exception of play that he had to leave for; job seems to be Fitzmagic's for now. However they are winning, and losing draft position...do they still need to explore Rosen now that the rest of the team is playing better (or is that the reason?). 

- The Bengals got crushed by Baltimore and they ran the ball for the first time all season despite the score. Are they going to continue to protect Ryan Finley like that? Dalton's prospects next year are more interesting; but what if they pull a Eli 2018 here and recognize their faults and turn back? Nevermind...it's the Bungles.

- I think the RB questions posed saw interesting outcomes also. Hyde was on the field 55% of the time, and reportedly 43% of the time with Chubb.

- The Rams tried Henderson for change of pace early then turned to a slightly more effective Malcolm Brown. This one seemingly got muddier as nothing was clicking for Rams yesterday.

- Ronald Jones per Arians looked good but made blocking mistakes and coughed up the ball.

- David Johnson was outtouched by Drake and continues to work through injury

- The other 60/40's were on bye or playing tonight. Through this week there seems to be a leader; but I think one or more of those teams COULD alter the timeshare coming out of bye or extended week of practices. Time shall tell.

- Of course, we know now that Kittle was marked doubtful and then out tonight. Trade deadline in my league was this weekend, I shot all of the bullets in my gun; including trading away Witten (as was on the surprising Stafford/Driskel news); but was fortunate to get OJ Howard points. That one played out well.

I like this thread. Sort of crystallizes issues I'd been thinking about. It's an issue spotter, and a cool one.

With fantasy teams looking to make a playoff push, trade deadlines looming, lineup decisions pending amidst 3 final weeks of byes; here's some open-ended questions for discussion:

Quarterbacks: We are back to full health (if Brissett goes) amonsgt starting QB's, but particularly for 2QB leagues - what QB currently on the bench is more likely to see action (barring injury)? Chase Daniel if Trubisky struggles versus Detroit? Marcus Mariota getting job back if Tannehill gets blown out by KC this weekend? Drew Lock or Brett Rypien in Denver? Organizations going back to Josh Rosen, Case Keenum, Garnder Minshew or Andy Dalton?

Will Jacoby Brissett play this weekend and open up a roster spot for those holding both Brissett/Hoyer?

Running Backs: Will a significant lead dog emerge out of Denver (Lindsay/Freeman), Houston (Hyde/D.Johnson), San Francisco (Coleman/Breida, etc), Philadelphia (Howard/Sanders) backfields to take a larger share than 60/40 split seeing from these today? 

Who is the backup to Gurley in LA? Darrell Henderson or Malcolm Brown with both healthy now and Henderson looking good in his opportunities over recent weeks.

What type of share does Drake get in Arizona with David Johnson not on injury report?

With declaration of RoJo in Tampa Bay, does his arc path change for better?

How does the Cleveland backfield shake out with Kareem Hunt coming back?

What does the Washington backfield look like once Derrius Guice returns?

Wide Receiver/Tight End: Will George Kittle play on Monday night? If there is no word ahead of Sunday 1 pm EST games, what's the threshold of what you would consider? Is the best fallback option for MNF Ross Dwelley, Jacob Hollister or the returning Ed Dickson?

Asking a few questions to provoke though and help us grind it out over next month and a half!
Good post.

Brissett didn't play but all indications are he'll be back wk 11.

Denver - to me playing Brandon Allan signifies they thought Allen > Rypien, so I would think Allen will continue to play barring disastrous play.  Luck will play this year regardless if and when he is healthy.

Minshew is one QB who could see time again if Foley truly blows it.  They'd have to have a chance at the playoffs though, and that is already borderline.

Trubiskey could be benched any week.  I wouldn't expect much out of Daniels.  I don't foresee Mariota, Rosen, Keenen, or Dalton to see action again barring injury.  They've turned the page there.

DJ/Drake - tough to say.  I would think they would want to get DJ as much work as possible while spelling with Drake, if DJ is healthy, which I'm not convinced he is.  So it may even be the opposite.

RoJo did not make the most of his opportunities to start.  2.6ypc, a fumble with no D around, ended up splitting carries again with Barber at 11 each, and was on the bench for Barber during a crucial final series.  Read into that what you want - I foresee the same type splits going forward and God forgive if fumbles again, because Arians won't.

Just a guess here, but I would see a 75%-80% Chubb, 20-25% Hunt mix going forward.  Hunt is much more involved in the passing game than Chubb.  I wouldn't be too worried if I was a Chubb owner (I'm not)

I don't have any particular insight into the Denver/Philly/Hou/SF RBBC splits - it seems to be working well for all of them, so I would expect it to continue.

I would guess M. Brown is still the backup to Gurley.  Know pass protection better and all that stuff.  I don't recall Henderson looking all that good in his limited time.

Guice is a mystery after been gone so long.  On the high side, he might get a 50/50 mix with Peterson.  But that may be asking too much - the guy has played a partial game out of 25 games since being drafted.  So my guess if even if healthy, then work him in slowly the rest of the year.  They can worry about 50/50 next year.

I think we all know the Kittle/Dwelley/Hollister situation.  Question is, how long is Kittle out?

Interesting to see Rappaport state Lindsay to see majority of carries in Denver; and albeit injuries, Miles Sanders & Tevin Coleman to take clear lead back status' this week. I think you may see more Duke Johnson against the Ravens today, but that's just a hunch. 

Users who are viewing this thread