What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Singular Musical Performance of All Time (1 Viewer)

I do not believe what I just saw - the first time the outside world was exposed to Pearl Jam playing Porch live (pink pop?) and Ed not dying before the extended guitar solo ended 

Jimi Hendrix playing "The Killing Floor" so good that Eric Clapton stormed off the stage in the middle of the song, fired up a smoke, and yelled "You never told me he was that f'ing good" angrily at the guy who suggested inviting him on stage. 

Second-best Hendrix: opening for The Monkees in 1967.
This is hard for me to top.

Thus, I'll list the greatest performance I ever attended.

Stevie Ray Vaughan: In Step Tour - November 16, 1989

He played Voodoo Child (Slight Return). It is the only cover of it I have ever heard that did not disappoint me.

I considered saying the Hendrix performance at Monterey, but then I couldn't decide if I liked that, The Who, Janis Joplin or Ravi Shankar the best there.  I actually think I'd say Shankar.
Not familiar with Shankar's performance. I guess I am not a Monterey Guru. I'll have to check it out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not familiar with Shankar's performance. I guess I am not a Monterey Guru. I'll have to check it out. 
Fun fact - Norah Jones is Shankar's daughter (born: Geethali Norah Jones Shankar). You prolly know this, but I just discovered it last year after otb told me that he used to pass her on the street all the time. 

i'd be surprised if she didn't prefer this version. it was immense and scary - Miss Garland was all over the TV in the 50s & early 60s and you never knew if you were going to get the talent which amazed the Greatest Gen as much as Hendrix amazed the Boomers or a musical imitation of a nervous breakdown. sometimes both, actually. anyway, my mother hated Judy Garland but her sister loved her and one of the things i liked best when i used to get farmed out to my Auntie Glo for Feb vaca was when she'd go to work for her two hours at a curio shop and i'd get out her gin & Judy records and sing along til i was almost gay. i actually preferred this but the one you cite was always the one that would draw either a bravura or bananas version from Garland when she was on TV

Fun fact - Norah Jones is Shankar's daughter (born: Geethali Norah Jones Shankar). You prolly know this, but I just discovered it last year after otb told me that he used to pass her on the street all the time. 
and the guy who got me into showbiz, Peter Malick, discovered Norah Jones. more musical circles than a drunken waltz...

Pretty sure I've played poker with this guy. Lives in LA I think.
i never have, though we both got into doing it for a living about the same time

ETA: if you ever see him again, tell him greetings from one of the guys who pissed on the Eagles in New Hampshire with him. he likely won't remember me, but a friend of mine got him to commit his band (James Montgomery Blues Band, then the hottest band in Boston) to a benefit i was running which got me noticed by a big music mgmt company.

i never have, though we both got into doing it for a living about the same time
Would have been about 15 years ago. Played in so many games back then. Used to go to Hollywood Park on friday nights when they would run and then get a ride to a late night, outdoor game in North Hollywood. Used to get crushed most trips and pretty sure he was one of the ones doing the crushing. Lots of Omaha h/l.

Great topic.

Best I can remember seeing live was Bon Iver at the Ryman doing Skinny Love as an encore unplugged.

https://youtu.be/V7uJeb8wjQo

Best I think I've seen period I think it's easily Cobain covering Leadbelly's Where did you Sleep Last night. https://vimeo.com/26345288 In particular the 5 seconds around the 6:50 mark may be the most incredible music and video I can recall. He looked into our eyes and you knew it was too good to be true. 

Gonna follow Nipsey’s lead and put up a few more I go back to again and again:

Queen at the Milton Keynes Bowl 6/5/1982 - kicking off the show with “Hero” and “We Will Rock You”.

Kate Bush featuring David Gilmour at the Secret Policemen’s Third Ball, London Palladium 3/27/1987 - “Running Up That Hill

Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Dhani Harrison, and Winwood’s touring band take the stage at the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, honoring Dhani’s father George Harrison with an incredible performance of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”. Everyone kicks butt ... and then Prince just takes over the stage. Look at the joy on Dhani’s face as Prince works miracles with his dad’s song.

This is hard for me to top.

Thus, I'll list the greatest performance I ever attended.

Stevie Ray Vaughan: In Step Tour - November 16, 1989

He played Voodoo Child (Slight Return). It is the only cover of it I have ever heard that did not disappoint me.
Dude. I am blessed to have seen so many shows at Antone's, where the staff was furiously picking up drinks at closing time, because Stevie still had plenty of coke and wasn't going anywhere. We would work our way up front, then turn around and identify the guitar players in the crowd by the dumbfounded expressions. It was glorious. 

Dude. I am blessed to have seen so many shows at Antone's, where the staff was furiously picking up drinks at closing time, because Stevie still had plenty of coke and wasn't going anywhere. We would work our way up front, then turn around and identify the guitar players in the crowd by the dumbfounded expressions. It was glorious. 
Sweet. There was a documentary on my local PBS last month on SRV that covered Antone's in depth. It showed how he got his first own band going ... can't remember the name now. Anyways, the singer was smokin'!

I think I would really dig Austin. And if I ever get there, Antone's is a must. 👍

I, like most of you have heard this song maybe literally a million times. Hundreds of variations. Nobody, never ever has done it better than this.
outside of Queen at Live Aid, not sure I can think of many others as all time greats that would span musical genres and interests . I’ll have to give it some more thought...

The Who, Concert for New York City. They took it down on youtube. Performed just after 9/11. So great. You have to rent it now I guess.

Maybe not the best of all time but my favorites:

Tom Petty Bridge School performance  It's says Shoreline but this is Bridge School. The whole thing is gold. Just before Wildflowers came out.

The National Tiny Desk Concert

Wilco Tiny Desk Concert
The Bridge School benefit concerts were put on annually and held at Shoreline Amphitheater. I think Neil Young organized them and he always got his big named friends to play.

Oh jeebus, I’m an idiot.  Of course.

ETA:  I think my favorite Otis performance is from somewhere in Europe, though.  I’ll have to look it up when I’m less sleepy - Paris, maybe?  I can picture it, and it was insane.  “Try a Little Tenderness” in particular.

i'd be surprised if she didn't prefer this version. it was immense and scary - Miss Garland was all over the TV in the 50s & early 60s and you never knew if you were going to get the talent which amazed the Greatest Gen as much as Hendrix amazed the Boomers or a musical imitation of a nervous breakdown. sometimes both, actually. anyway, my mother hated Judy Garland but her sister loved her and one of the things i liked best when i used to get farmed out to my Auntie Glo for Feb vaca was when she'd go to work for her two hours at a curio shop and i'd get out her gin & Judy records and sing along til i was almost gay. i actually preferred this but the one you cite was always the one that would draw either a bravura or bananas version from Garland when she was on TV
Probably what she meant, who knows, she's pretty old 

Users who are viewing this thread