What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hello Fresh - meal kits (1 Viewer)

jon_mx

Footballguy
Been doing three meals a week from Hello Fresh for a month now and am fairly impressed with the quality of the meals.  Each week there are about a dozen meals to choose from.  You pick out the number and type of meals you want and they show up on your doorstep the next week on the your designated day.  

Blue Apron has a lot of mixed reviews and Kroger's offerings are not all that impressive.  So far I would rate half our dinners as very good, about one-third as good, and a few as just average.  

The dinners I really liked were:

- cheese tortellini in mushroom sauce

- rosemary demi-glaced pork chops

- ginger turmeric tilapia

- pork schnitzel

- chicken souvlaki pitas pockets

- figgy balsamic pork

- chicken sausage benelli bolognese

- flaky tempura tilapia

The best part is it gives you confidence to prepare different types of food.  The kits provide all the necessary ingredients minus a fee basics like salt, pepper, butter, olive oil.  There are usually a few minutes of chopping and the fire up the oven and stove and following the instructions.  

I find most the meals are a bit light on veggies, but I usually have stuff on hand to fix that.  (Add some extra bell pepper, onion, carrots, potatoes, whatever makes sense). The things I like is it cuts down on the need to shop during the week, it also cuts down on the time it takes to think about and plan meals, and you don't end up with a bunch of extra ingredients that end up rotting in the fridge.   But really, it is pretty darn good variety of tasty food at a reasonable price, roughly $9 each for a meal for two, without having to go out and spending a fortune every night.  

We’ve tried both Hello Fresh and Home Chef with promotional discounts. While the food quality was good with both, both my wife and I preferred Home Chef. Wife said the recipes were easier to follow and I liked the food-and meal selection-a little better with Home Chef. We also tried a service-I forget the name-where meals were already prepared and just had to be put in a microwave. Food quality was poor with those (as one might expect).

We currently have both Hello Fresh and Home Chef paused/deactivated. Once the promotional discounts were done (I think free shipping is gone too though I don’t remember for sure) the price per meal went up. I can see us doing it again still though.

The appeal is that the food is surprisingly fresh/good, meals appealing, decent selection, and no more of the “what do you want for dinner tonight”, “I dunno, what do you want?” stuff. Less shopping, less waste (we often buy stuff for meals that we don’t use later and end up throwing it out).

These always do too many pasta and chicken options for my tastes. 
I think they have a pretty fair balance of pasta, potatoes, rice, couscous and bread options each week.  They always have beef, fish. chicken, and pork options.  The starches tend to be the filler portions.  The meat portions are decent, although maybe light by American standards but realistically a good healthy portion.  As I said above, if anything is light it is the veggy.  So far, I have found the variety satisfying.  A decent mixture of italian, french, asian and american dishes.  

The appeal is that the food is surprisingly fresh/good, meals appealing, decent selection, and no more of the “what do you want for dinner tonight”, “I dunno, what do you want?” stuff. Less shopping, less waste (we often buy stuff for meals that we don’t use later and end up throwing it out).
Agree.  Not having to think about meals each week is nice.  And the few bucks more it may costs is more than made up for in the time savings in shopping and planning.  And when you factor in waste, the savings on self prep may not even be all that.   You will still be going out and doing you own thing several nights each week, but it is good to have a few in the bag each week. 

I have received plenty of Blue Apron and Sun Harvest boxes the last two years.

While good in theory, I am not a fan.

My GF and I found the Blue Apron to be overly tedious with all of the self-prep work needed and the entire ordeal becomes too time consuming to prepare from start to finish.

Now when we receive them, we gut the packages for the meats and the veggies and end up disposing of the rest.

These meal kits are definitely not for everyone, especially at the price they charge.

Just my honest opinion here.  They seem to work out for some people.

Do they make these for families? It seems like a lot of the home meal kits are geared towards single servings or couples?  I looked at one (I can't remember which it was) that had it for a family and the price per person was outrageous vs just going to the store and buying the ingredients. 

Do they make these for families? It seems like a lot of the home meal kits are geared towards single servings or couples?  I looked at one (I can't remember which it was) that had it for a family and the price per person was outrageous vs just going to the store and buying the ingredients. 
Hello Fresh has meal kits for two or four people.  

Users who are viewing this thread