What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vapers threaten to vote against Trump (1 Viewer)

I very very very very much doubt that many vapers are "single issue" voters.
I thought the same thing when I read the article. But, I wonder how many it would take to make an impact?

How many people are single issue voters when it comes to abortion or gun control. Why not vaping. I'm not saying I understand it, just that it's on the table. 

Why the heck do people vape after the news that comes out about it recently? Let’s hope this isn’t a stance Don is ready to die in the hill protecting....if anything just tax it more. 

Vapers don't have the self-discipline to stop vaping.  I doubt they have the follow-through to remember why they are not voting for someone...

People that vote for a candidate solely on their vaping stance are...ummm...short sighted. Much more important issues, imo (health care, economy, gun control, Benghazi, email servers, etc.)

People that vote for a candidate solely on their vaping stance are...ummm...short sighted. Much more important issues, imo (health care, economy, gun control, Benghazi, email servers, etc.)
I guess I don't see it being any different than someone that votes based on abortion. And there are those that vote GOP due to lack of gun control. 

As I said, it's all relative to what effects you most. If you don't care about health care, or understand the economy, etc. Then vaping may be the most important thing in your life. 

Do they think Warren will save their access to harmful flavored vaping products?
Depends. 

Seventy-three percent of vapers said they would be "much less likely" to vote for a politician who supports strict regulations on vape products, such as a prohibition on internet sales, and most said they would be willing to cross party lines to do it, according to a poll commissioned by a vape industry group.

Nearly a quarter of regular vapers, the poll found, would be likely to vote for a third-party candidate in the next election — the Libertarian Party owns the url vape.vote and sells vape merchandise — while 43 percent aligned themselves with the GOP and 35 percent with Democrats.

I can’t imagine it and I vape, but I couldn’t imagine it about AR15s, either, and a fair number of them turned out to be.  Turns out people get pretty attached to their stuff. 

Are there any Democratic candidates who strongly disagree with President Trump on this specific issue? 
I don't think so. I took the article as saying that many of these people voted for Trump in 2016. They won't be voting for him in 2020 if he signs off on some of these vape bans. It also points out that Libertarian Party seems to support them. 

I don't think so. I took the article as saying that many of these people voted for Trump in 2016. They won't be voting for him in 2020 if he signs off on some of these vape bans. It also points out that Libertarian Party seems to support them. 
Unless the Democratic candidate makes this an issue (which seems very doubtful) I would guess it’s a non story, will have no effect. 

Unless the Democratic candidate makes this an issue (which seems very doubtful) I would guess it’s a non story, will have no effect. 
Why would you think it has no effect? As everyone has pointed out, voting for someone besides the D or R candidate can have an effect on the outcome. We know that some states are going to be close races. Would you want to discredit any group that could cost votes?

EDIT: And this isn't about voting for a Democratic candidate, it's about not voting for Trump. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you think it has no effect? As everyone has pointed out, voting for someone besides the D or R candidate can have an effect on the outcome. We know that some states are going to be close races. Would you want to discredit any group that could cost votes?

EDIT: And this isn't about voting for a Democratic candidate, it's about not voting for Trump. 
I just don’t think that, even in close swing states, this will be enough to be significant. Since I want Trump to lose I’d be happy to be wrong. 

I just don’t think that, even in close swing states, this will be enough to be significant. Since I want Trump to lose I’d be happy to be wrong. 
I'll take it as your opinion. The article states some data that says otherwise. This isn't a group of people saying they are voting for a candidate because that candidate supports their habit. This is a group of people that are saying they won't vote for Trump if he signs a law prohibiting their habit. What number of voters would make a difference?

KCitons said:

I took the article as saying that many of these people voted for Trump in 2016. They won't be voting for him in 2020 if he signs off on some of these vape bans.

What are the odds that Trump will actually follow through on this? This topic seems perfect for one of his classic "in about two weeks" promises that never happen.

I guess I don't see it being any different than someone that votes based on abortion. And there are those that vote GOP due to lack of gun control. 

As I said, it's all relative to what effects you most. If you don't care about health care, or understand the economy, etc. Then vaping may be the most important thing in your life. 
Vaping could be the most important thing in someone's life?

Unless we're talking about work/career being related to vaping, that's pretty sad, imo.

Aren’t most folks that vape under the legal voting age?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall, there are some guys posting here who are pretty committed to blasting away on these vape pens. 

#dankclouds

Vaping could be the most important thing in someone's life?

Unless we're talking about work/career being related to vaping, that's pretty sad, imo.
Makes me wonder what other issues make a person a single issue voter? Is there a ranking of what is, or isn't, sad?

What are the odds that Trump will actually follow through on this? This topic seems perfect for one of his classic "in about two weeks" promises that never happen.
I don't know. Without the push back he's felt from some of these groups, I would guess odds were pretty good. Now it's unclear. 

Vaping is banned in MA but cigarettes are fine

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I was just rewatching the John Oliver piece from a while back about tobacco companies - it’s crazy what they are still trying to pull.  I don’t know much about vaping and can see much better arguments for it not being regulated as strongly.

Joe Summer said:
They don't have to be. All they have to do is convince Trump that they are and that he needs to do what they want. They've apparently made a good start as per his tweet:

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 22m22 minutes ago

Will be meeting with representatives of the Vaping industry, together with medical professionals and individual state representatives, to come up with an acceptable solution to the Vaping and E-cigarette dilemma. Children’s health & safety, together with jobs, will be a focus!

Henry Ford said:
I can’t imagine it and I vape, but I couldn’t imagine it about AR15s, either, and a fair number of them turned out to be.  Turns out people get pretty attached to their stuff. 
I wouldn't have guess this in a hundred years.

I wouldn't have guess this in a hundred years.
Until 2013, I smoked.  I was convinced to switch, used this board as a resource for figuring out how to do that, and it's made light years' difference in my health and relationships.

A number of old guys who smoked for decades vape.

In fact, my monthly calendar reminder that it's been six years and eight months since my last real cigarette popped up today.

Probably like 1% of them vote. Big nothingburger
Of people who vape?  Because that would be a really odd viewpoint.  My vape shop that I use is primarily visited by people over 30, many in suits and ties, and it's a lounge kind of like an old cigar shop. 

Until 2013, I smoked.  I was convinced to switch, used this board as a resource for figuring out how to do that, and it's made light years' difference in my health and relationships.

In fact, my monthly calendar reminder that it's been six years and eight months since my last real cigarette popped up today.
I hear you and still do myself.  I'm fine unless I'm having booze and then the craving is unbearable.  I can go weeks without one and don't miss it but then I have some cocktails and have to light up.

Congrats on quitting GB.

My dad and some of his friends read some book and that was enough to get them to quit.  Hypnosis and acupuncture didn't work but that book did somehow.  They were all smokers for over 30 years. 

KCitons said:
Are you referring to the deaths?
@GoBirds you didn't respond to this post, but gave it a like.

I think it's important that, while deaths have occurred, those deaths seem to be related to black market CBD vape cartridges. I'm not saying that the effects of vaping are completely known, but vaping itself has been around for 10 years. CBD popularity has risen in the last few years. And so have the deaths. 

I would compare it to synthetic weed. States have legal weed that is regulated. But, if someone wants to produce black market weed with Drano, then it's probably going to lead to deaths. Would it make sense for those states to ban weed?

I could also go down the alcohol road, but nobody wants that. 

I hear you and still do myself.  I'm fine unless I'm having booze and then the craving is unbearable.  I can go weeks without one and don't miss it but then I have some cocktails and have to light up.

Congrats on quitting GB.
At one point I was two packs of pall mall unfiltered per day.  I now use a vape pen most of the day.

It's a pretty big quality of life difference.  I recommend visiting the vape thread in the FFA if you're interested.

I think it's important that, while deaths have occurred, those deaths seem to be related to black market CBD vape cartridges. I'm not saying that the effects of vaping are completely known, but vaping itself has been around for 10 years. CBD popularity has risen in the last few years. And so have the deaths. 

I would compare it to synthetic weed. States have legal weed that is regulated. But, if someone wants to produce black market weed with Drano, then it's probably going to lead to deaths. Would it make sense for those states to ban weed?

Not just CBD, THC cartridges, too.  The ingredient that's killing people is almost certainly Vitamin E Acetate.  It was found in every sample pulled from the lungs of the deceased and tested.

Yes, sorry that’s what I meant by the like. I haven’t followed it closely but that was the news  I was thinking of....thanks for the clarification. 

At one point I was two packs of pall mall unfiltered per day.  I now use a vape pen most of the day.

It's a pretty big quality of life difference.  I recommend visiting the vape thread in the FFA if you're interested.
I used to smoke a couple packs a day when I was a teenager.  Quit for over a year, twice.  It's dumb particularity because I'm a workout fanatic.

GoBirds said:
Why the heck do people vape after the news that comes out about it recently? Let’s hope this isn’t a stance Don is ready to die in the hill protecting....if anything just tax it more. 
They aren't exactly the most health conscious group to begin with, and rationalize recent safety concerns in two main ways:

1. It's only black market cannabis products that are really risky

2. Vaping is still safer than smoking regular cigarettes

Alternatively, some think stamping out the e-cig industry is all a ploy of big tobacco.

Users who are viewing this thread