What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Feral Cats (1 Viewer)

Buddy Ball 2K3

Footballguy
I live in a small suburban neighborhood. It's not one of these cookie cutter home types that are filled with families with kids, its an old neighborhood with various age ranges but not a ton of children. It's very quiet, lots of wooded area with a great bird, squirrel and feral cat population. Over the past couple of years the cats have gotten out of hand. I use to see on occasionally around my bird feeders or entaginziging my fenced in dogs but now, they are everywhere. 

They have killed numerous birds, ripped up flower beds, peed everywhere, tried to make a living space out of a spare car, etc etc. Turns out there are a few neighbors that are feeding them and they are multiplying at an alarming rate.   I live trapped a few and took them to my local SPCA but they charged me $25 per cat, so F that.  I brought it up to a couple neighbors and I was treated like an animal abuser (which I am not). 

What's the play here?? 

Rat poison in their food. 

If youre not a monster like me than maybe the health department or contact a gaggle of those deranged cat sympathizers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a small suburban neighborhood. It's not one of these cookie cutter home types that are filled with families with kids, its an old neighborhood with various age ranges but not a ton of children. It's very quiet, lots of wooded area with a great bird, squirrel and feral cat population. Over the past couple of years the cats have gotten out of hand. I use to see on occasionally around my bird feeders or entaginziging my fenced in dogs but now, they are everywhere. 

They have killed numerous birds, ripped up flower beds, peed everywhere, tried to make a living space out of a spare car, etc etc. Turns out there are a few neighbors that are feeding them and they are multiplying at an alarming rate.   I live trapped a few and took them to my local SPCA but they charged me $25 per cat, so F that.  I brought it up to a couple neighbors and I was treated like an animal abuser (which I am not). 

What's the play here?? 
Usually the humane society has a program, otherwise see if there are other shelters around.  They will round them up.

We have a few strays..My wife puts out food for them, and we also have a heated little house for them to go into when they are cold.  There is no way I could propose eliminating that and still be married. 

She feels horrible for the little guys( I do too) and she will to anything in her power to try to make them happy.

We have a few strays..My wife puts out food for them, and we also have a heated little house for them to go into when they are cold.  There is no way I could propose eliminating that and still be married. 

She feels horrible for the little guys( I do too) and she will to anything in her power to try to make them happy.
Do you live outside of philadelphia?

Ask around about no-cost spay-&-neuter places for feral cats. New Orleans is not the most forward-thinking town, and even we have multiple programs like this for dealing with stray cats.

My wife is the same way, currently caring for a group of 5 kittens. She has TNRd about a dozen cats in the last 3 years when local rescue places do it for free or really cheap  

Warhogs said:
This. I live in a very small town but our town has a policy on pets straying around the neighborhood. I would first bring it to the attention of the city and see if they will act on this.

NutterButter said:
What does your town's animal control officer say?
Made the call yesterday afternoon and for dogs they could get the "dog warden" to come out but for cats I was referred to my local animal rescue who I know via experience wants to charge me $25 per cat. 

If you just want them gone and you don't want to pay the $25 per cat to have them fixed, why don't you just trap them and release them at a park a good enough distance away.

Rabies. Just be aware that feral cats have a high incidence of rabies. I work for a health department and we have had to assist in testing a few communities of ferals over the years. It is nothing to screw with.

Rabies. Just be aware that feral cats have a high incidence of rabies. I work for a health department and we have had to assist in testing a few communities of ferals over the years. It is nothing to screw with.
Last Christmas I had to shoot a racoon that wandered up to my front steps, so I know its around the area. I really dont need my dogs getting bit by one of these cats.

Thought about this but not sure of the legality. 
Who knows but what's the chance that you get caught and even if you do, what's the chance that a cop even charges you?   Not sure about where you live, but around me, there's a lot of big state parks where there's very little people.   Go early in the morning and I doubt you'll have a problem.

Crazy that they will address dogs but not cats. Our town treats dogs and cats the same. If they are wandering the neighborhood they will be captured and taken to a shelter. If the owner is identified they will be fined. If they can't be identified they go off to the animal shelter.

If the neighbors and town won't cooperate with you and your main goal is to keep them off your property to protect your dogs then you might want to consider just using cat repellant on your property.

#### Be Gone

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
I live trapped a few and took them to my local SPCA but they charged me $25 per cat, so F that.  I brought it up to a couple neighbors and I was treated like an animal abuser (which I am not). 

What's the play here?? 
There has to be a free shelter somewhere that will take these cats. Widen your search.

Do you have pets and a relationship with a local vet? They may be able to point you in the correct direction.
Good advice. The free spay/neutering of feral cats is done locally by a network of veterinarians, as opposed to a program through a larger organization like the SPCA or Humane Society.

My older lady neighbor feeds them.

Now they are running all through my new covered patio.

####### #####.

@simey

Iirc, she's taken care of a feral colony for a while.

Like...cared for. Not been a haha ####### like steady above 
I was kidding. I know we have a few cat lovers and admittedly I was trolling them. Im a animal lover. I have sympathy for all animals and kinda think youre a monster with no heart if you dont. 

Crazy that they will address dogs but not cats. Our town treats dogs and cats the same. If they are wandering the neighborhood they will be captured and taken to a shelter. If the owner is identified they will be fined. If they can't be identified they go off to the animal shelter.
I'm not too surprised.   A lot of people where I live in suburbia let their cats wander the neighborhood while dogs will get picked up.   I used to do that with my 3 previous cats.  They had their own cat door.

I know you're joking but this made me curious.  Apparently coyotes don't generally eat feral cats.

Edit:  I take this back.  Seems to be mixed accounts on this.
You fact checking me?  :P

Eta: cats like to rub up against stuff. put barbecue sauce on the patio furniture legs. coyotes love going through the trash and eating leftover brisket ergo they will for sure eat the cats then.  

You fact checking me?  :P

Eta: cats like to rub up against stuff. put barbecue sauce on the patio furniture legs. coyotes love going through the trash and eating leftover brisket ergo they will for sure eat the cats then.  
When running through my nearby neighborhoods, I often think about the balance of nature and how the coyotes and hawks are helping curb the squirrel, chipmunk and rabbit populations.  I don't see many cats but when I do, I think they are pets.

When running through my nearby neighborhoods, I often think about the balance of nature and how the coyotes and hawks are helping curb the squirrel, chipmunk and rabbit populations.  I don't see many cats but when I do, I think they are pets.
Cuz coyotes think they are delicious!

Used to have a few that lived in the woods behind our cul-de-sac.  I'd see one or two at a time, very skittish.  Seemed like overnight it went from 2 to 12.  Little old lady next door was feeding them.  I borrowed two live traps from a friend and set them out with a can of tuna in each.  Haul them a few miles down the road on my way to work, far enough away where they shouldn't be able to find their way back and turn em loose in the woods. 

Never could get the lady next door to quit feeding them, so just had to wait her out until I caught them all. 

Here we have a couple cat rescue places that will come out and trap the cats for you and then they take them to a shelter for a barn cat program.   My friends had 21 cats removed from their property when they bought their house.   They were living under the porch, in bushes, everywhere.   Try local facebook/nextdoor page.

Users who are viewing this thread