What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How often do you watch political "cable news"? (1 Viewer)

How often do you watch political "cable news"?

• I am a very regular "every night" viewer.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I probably watch cable news once or twice a week.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • I watch cable news maybe once or twice a month.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I essentially never watch cable news, except in rare instances.

Votes: 52 61.9%

• Total voters

Steve Tasker

Footballguy
Sorry if this has been done before, but I didn't see a thread.

Tim made a comment in the whistleblower thread about how his perception is that many of our regular PSF posters are nightly or otherwise very-frequent viewers of nightly "cable news".  This struck me a little bit and raised a question for me - is this true?  Maybe it's an age/demographic thing.

Personally, I probably watch the traditional "cable news" - your CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc., once a year, on Election Night, and even then it's usually just kinda on the TV in the background while I'm doing something else.  I actually don't even know what channel number MSNBC or Fox News are on my television.  I'll watch some John Oliver on Youtube, and maybe that counts, but I suppose it depends on your definition.

Use your own definition of cable news when answering the poll.  I'm thinking of the usual talking heads - Maddow, Hannity, Wolf Blitzer, etc.

I will watch a bit in the morn usually.

If there is a hot topic for the day I do like watching a few minutes of FOX then switch to MSNBC to watch how they manipulate the same story.

Almost never watch cable news, but my wife insists on watching the local news almost nightly. Given my druthers, I’d watch neither.

1-2 times a week, but it’s more just in the background while doing things around the house. I can’t remember the last time I’ve ever sat down and watched cable news with full attention. 

I do use CNN for most of my live political events, like presidential speeches

I cut cable in '08, but I will still use my parents' Spectrum cable account to remote view a few times a month for certain topics.

My primary TV source for news is PBS NewsHour.

I don't have cable TV, so it's local news and some USA Today for me. I don't even go on cable news sites, because of the obvious slants they have.

Cuomo into the first 10 minutes of Lemon usually at least once per week.

Used to balance it out with Shep Smith, but now that he's out I'm deliberating between Cavuto and Wallace. 

John Oliver about as close as I get now.  I’ll watch if there is some kind of breaking news event, but otherwise not really of interest.  I’d rather get my news from the newspaper and the internet in the morning/day, and spend my evenings unwinding by watching sports or an old movie, or reading a book.

I’ve paid more attention in the last few years than probably the prior 20 years.  I get most of my information from the PSF and then if I know there’s something that is happening or will happen (like the debates or election nights) then I’ll flip between the 3 big ones just to see what’s being said.  My wife absolutely hates it so I limit it to very rarely.

Cable news is horrible in every possible way. Left, right doesn't matter.  It is without question the #1 reason the media is a mess right now and it should be removed from television as soon as possible.

It is in my opinion the biggest reason there exists such a divide politically in America these days.   This and social media should vanish

I believe cable news is the reason for the divide in this country. FOX used to be the culprit. CNN/MSNBC is the culprit this cycle and have brought the divide to a new level.

I believe cable news is the reason for the divide in this country. FOX used to be the culprit. CNN/MSNBC is the culprit this cycle and have brought the divide to a new level.
FOX hasn’t changed. I don’t think your second statement is untrue, but FOX is also still the culprit. Nothing pst tense about it. In fact, in my opinion, FOX may even be complicit/culpable in a lot of this by letting people come on and push false narratives. 

They’re all garbage imo. I don’t need endless shows to tell me what I’m supposed to think about xyz. I just want basic news and no commentary. I can do that myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zero. No Facebook either for that matter. They all feel like outdated outlets. Unfortunately in 2016 they were huge influencers on the Presidential election outcome.

We cut the cable at home so I only see rare snips when visiting my parents. My Dad has cable news on seemingly all hours.

Stopped watching years ago as they all have evolved into pure trash.

I will watch Cavuto once in awhile for business and market updates but nothing in the evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
FOX hasn’t changed. I don’t think your second statement is untrue, but FOX is also still the culprit. Nothing pst tense about it. In fact, in my opinion, FOX may even be complicit/culpable in a lot of this by letting people come on and push false narratives. 
Maybe, but the CNN/MSNBC level is so ridiculous it makes FOX seem reasonable now

Maybe, but the CNN/MSNBC level is so ridiculous it makes FOX seem reasonable now
No they don’t. They don’t ever sound reasonable. They’ve even removed the “fair and balanced” that used to be in the title. 
Whats ingraham talking about Benghazi for last night? Hannity talks to the president often. They push GOP talking points. The president tweets their praise and vilifies all other media as false. None of this is normal or OK. It is certainly not reasonable. 

Almost never.  The only reason why my answer isn't literally never is because I actually like to watch cable news on election night as results come in, but that's more like tuning in to watch a sporting event than it is like consuming news.

I cannot remember the last time I watched a full segment of cable news.  I have watched clips posted on the internet by other people. 

Users who are viewing this thread