What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Myles Garrett needs to be permanently suspended (1 Viewer)

My prediction is that the NLF acts quickly and suspends him for the rest of the season with the note that his reinstatement is pending and then they will re-visit it next summer to see about adding more games in 2020. 

Last edited by a moderator:
6 games probably

I keep seeing charges being brought up. Lets be real. Rudolph isn't going to sign a complaint for battery (or assault or whatever the state calls it), thus, there is no victim. And the chance of NFL pursuing charges against Myles Garrett is close to zero.

6 games probably

I keep seeing charges being brought up. Lets be real. Rudolph isn't going to sign a complaint for battery (or assault or whatever the state calls it), thus, there is no victim. And the chance of NFL pursuing charges against Myles Garrett is close to zero.
Why wouldn’t Rudolph do that?  It’s not like this is a friendly rivalry, the Steeler fans would love it. 

My prediction is that the NFL acts quickly and suspends him for the rest of the season with the note that his reinstatement is pending and then they will re-visit it next summer to see about adding more games in 2020. 
That's my guess as well.  If Myles does the right things (anger management, community service, etc.) he'll be fine for next year.  But I don't think he sees another down this season.

That's my guess as well.  If Myles does the right things (anger management, community service, etc.) he'll be fine.  But I don't think he sees another down this season.
Agree. Even if he does all the right things, anything else he does close to this in his career he will be gone for good

bigmarc27 said:

Why wouldn’t Rudolph do that? It’s not like this is a friendly rivalry, the Steeler fans would love it.

Rudolph doesn't want Garrett to file charges against Pouncey for kicking him.

Got pretty lucky the helmet turned mid swing and hit at the softest part of the helmet, if he got him with the crown he would probably be in jail. If Rudolph was knocked out or visibly hurt by the hit it would have been 100x more chaotic. 

Agree. Even if he does all the right things, anything else he does close to this in his career he will be gone for good
In fact, I'd get out in front of this immediately if I were Myles.  Let everyone know how sorry I was, heat of the moment, all that jazz.  Say you're prepared to do whatever the league mandates.  He better be prepared to say the same schpiel to a thousand different reporters the rest of his career.

Criminal chargers are highly unlikely, however, I'd be shocked if we saw Garrett again this season, and its very possible he gets a full year ban, and is ineligible until week 12 of 2020. This was a national televised game, and Garrett went full Happy Gilmore out there. A monster(over a million dollars) fine is likely also on the table.

Ogunjobi should probably see a short suspension as well.

I watched this game with some friends, and a question that was brought up, was what if this was to Roethlisberger? Like, does that fact that Mason Rudolph isn't a household name make a difference in punishment? I'd argue it shouldn't, but I am pretty certain it would.

I'd Imagine if this happened to say, Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. Garrett is banned for life, if he even makes through the mob of players(and fans) that surely are looking to cripple him, and that would be the best case scenario. 

I'm a Steeler fan. Does he have a history of of violence and unsportsmanlike conduct?  I've seen several helmets swung over the years, and the damage inflicted (or lackk thereof) seems to have a large affect on how the league responds to these types of outbursts. And the players history.
Unsportsmanlike? No. Late hits have been a problem though. 

Criminal chargers are highly unlikely, however, I'd be shocked if we saw Garrett again this season, and its very possible he gets a full year ban, and is ineligible until week 12 of 2020. This was a national televised game, and Garrett went full Happy Gilmore out there. A monster(over a million dollars) fine is likely also on the table.

Ogunjobi should probably see a short suspension as well.

I watched this game with some friends, and a question that was brought up, was what if this was to Roethlisberger? Like, does that fact that Mason Rudolph isn't a household name make a difference in punishment? I'd argue it shouldn't, but I am pretty certain it would.

I'd Imagine if this happened to say, Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. Garrett is banned for life, if he even makes through the mob of players(and fans) that surely are looking to cripple him, and that would be the best case scenario. 
I don't think the fact Rudolph is a scrub QB will impact the suspension.  If he'd been a scrub TE it might, but Rudolph being a QB puts it on a certain level.  Garrett is EXTREMELY lucky Rudolph didn't flop on the field or fake getting knocked out.

****ing love 😍  Pouncey though!
100% agree. I was kinda distracted in the aftermath, but I hope he knocked Garrett loopy. #### that guy. 

Just watched it again, its way worse that I thought. Frankly, the next time they play, if Garrett plays, I'd call an entire game of chop blocks, with the intent to cripple the guy. #### him. 100% #### him!

ETA: Garrett has always been a bit dirty too. He's been called for as many personal fouls as any player in the league since he was drafted(Burfict likely would have had more, if he wasn't busy serving suspensions) but this is completely unacceptable. 

6 games probably

I don't think that's how it works usually. The prosecutor decides whether to press charges. It doesn't require a victim making a complaint. Very sure that's the case in many places for domestic charges, but I think the same is true for regular assault.

Though if I had to place a bet, I'd say no charges get filed here due to lack of injury.

Kermit Washington got 26 games. 

Severe NHL suspensions have ranged from 20-41 games, so a max of half a season.

Burfict got what amounts to a 12 game suspension, but it was his 13th disciplinary infraction.

Haynesworth got 5 games for stomping on Andre Gurode.

Donte Stallworth got 1 year for literally killing someone.

Antonio Smith took off Richie Incongnito's helmet and started swinging it, but didn't connect.    1 game.

My guess is the rest of the season and 6 games next year.  No way it's more than the 2020 season.   

I don't think that's how it works usually. The prosecutor decides whether to press charges. It doesn't require a victim making a complaint. Very sure that's the case in many places for domestic charges, but I think the same is true for regular assault.

Though if I had to place a bet, I'd say no charges get filed here due to lack of injury.
There is always a victim. The victim has to either be Rudolph himself or the NFL. It certainly isn't going to be the state of Ohio lol.

6 games probably

yeah, that's only on TV.   prosecutors decide whether to bring charges.

What he did was a criminal act ! How can he have a job playing on national tv? This what you want your kids to watch? He could of killed him with that helmet if he would of hit him right! It's ok to do that in the heat of the moment?????

I’ll be shocked if charges aren’t brought tomorrow. 
by who, the Ohio state's attorney?

Listen, if I'm off base here legally speaking, let me know. But if Rudolph or the NFL don't pursue chargers of battery (or assault or whatever the state of Ohio calls it), then the only other option would be the state of Ohio, correct? What are the changes they deal with that? This is not exactly the type of criminal case the district attorney goes after.

yeah, that's only on TV.   prosecutors decide whether to bring charges.
yes, they are also an option. Why would the state of Ohio pursue this?

If I'm off base here legally speaking, let me know. But this doesn't seem realistic whatsoever.

by who, the Ohio state's attorney?

Listen, if I'm off base here legally speaking, let me know. But if Rudolph or the NFL don't pursue chargers of battery (or assault or whatever the state of Ohio calls it), then the only other option would be the state of Ohio, correct? What are the changes they deal with that? This is not exactly the type of criminal case the district attorney goes after.
This is the exact kind of high publicity case a local DA would want to go after. 

I edited the rest of my post as I don’t know the laws of that jurisdiction. Typically however assaults in plain sight don’t need a victim to pursue charges in order for those charges to be brought up. 

Has Garrett had any incidents prior to this season? Though he was a decent guy/leader going into the season but this is the third time  I’ve seen him be dirty this year. He punched Delanie Walker and ended Trevor Siemian’s  season on a late/dirty hit. 

This is the exact kind of high publicity case a local DA would want to go after. And they don’t need Rudolph to pursue it, any officer there could have seen the assault clear as day. You don’t need a victim to testify to the criminal act witnessed in plain sight. 
OK, so, it is a high publicity case because it is an NFL game and... that's it? There are countless assaults/batteries that occur in Ohio that actually result in grievous bodily harm. I would think the state would be more concerned with homicides, attempt murders, criminal sexual assaults, domestic battery, robberies, and so on...

OK, so, it is a high publicity case because it is an NFL game and... that's it? There are countless assaults/batteries that occur in Ohio that actually result in grievous bodily harm. I would think the state would be more concerned with homicides, attempt murders, criminal sexual assaults, domestic battery, robberies, and so on...
Plenty of room for one more. They aren’t going to skip any murder charges or robberies for this, it’ll just be another charge in the system. 

There you go.

Haynesworth's cleats caused a laceration requiring thirty stitches.

And he had some history of such conduct.
I know that incident was only 10 or 15 years ago, but I think we’re in a different time now. He’s getting more games than Haynesworth did.  

Plenty of room for one more. They aren’t going to skip any murder charges or robberies for this, it’ll just be another charge in the system. 
Yeah, this is just reaching in my opinion. NFL or Rudolph likely won't want to pursue this legally. Rudolph is not hurt and declines medical attention. Garrett isn't a felon and doesn't have a rap sheet. Just why? Agree to disagree here.

****ing love 😍  Pouncey though!
Pouncey absolutely should have  protected his quarterback, no argument there.  However, he did it in a very Pouncey way and showed his true colors as well.  We all know the NFL isn't made up of the most well-adjusted people but that guy is one messed up person.  When presented with an opportunity to show his true colors he tried to curb stomp a guy.

100% agree. I was kinda distracted in the aftermath, but I hope he knocked Garrett loopy. #### that guy. 
No argument on Garrett and his actions.  I still wouldn't want Pouncey anywhere near my team.  That guy has demonstrated numerous times he's just not to be trusted, especially off the field.  Let's not build this guy up for doing what he apparently needs little provocation to do.

Unsportsmanlike? No. Late hits have been a problem though. 
Isn't the late hit what set this off?  Wasn't watching the game but he hit Rudolph late and that was what set off Rudolph..  Rudolph should get a game for going after Garretts helmet.  The browns  DL that pushed Rudolph down again afterwards was  a coward move.  You are trying to defend Garett then go after the OL that are hitting him.  To shove down the only player on the field without a helmet and knowing that he is the qb and by default is normally smaller guys.  I am not a fan of either team,. but Garrett should not see the field until 2021.  And what is the deal with the Browns and discipline?  Didn't the corner that threatened a fan on twitter  just get cut from them?  The league needs to consider handing down a stern warning threating the Browns draft picks to the organization themselves for what has transpired lately.

Let's get a few things straight.  This wasn't unsportsmanlike conduct.  Unsportsmanlike conduct occurs during a football game.  This was outside the bounds of a football game.  This was assault and battery with a weapon (and perhaps a deadly weapon).  He could have caused serious bodily injury and perhaps even death.  In terms of prosecution, he shouldn't be treated any differently than if he walked up to someone on the street and hit them in the head with a helmet (or baseball bat).  He should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  

In terms of the NFL, why should he ever play again?  How many times does a player get to assault another player with a weapon on national television before he is banned from the game?  

I terms of Pouncey, my initial reaction was that he should be suspended for 1-2 games for throwing punches and kicking Garrett.  After further consideration, I don't think the NFL should punish him at all.  I liken his situation to a parent protecting a child that is being attacked by a perp with a weapon.  Garrett was attacking another person with a weapon and Puncey was merely protecting that defenseless person.  

Users who are viewing this thread