What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stomp (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
When I was young, I remember this first coming out and seeing the commercials for it.  It looked so awesome.  Then as I got older, I'd see versions of it on shows and it was cool at first.  But then it kind of seemed like it was more the butt of the joke than something cool.

Fast forward 20 years.  I see Stomp is coming to a theater out in Amish country and tickets aren't that expensive.  I asked my wife what she thought and she's on the fence.  Thing is, so am I.  I feel like it has the potential to be something pretty amazing to see in person.  But I also feel it has the same potential to be boring and cheesy.  50/50 really.

Normally, for the price, I'd be willing to take the risk to see if it was good.  Even if it was bad, we'd still probably be able to have fun with it knowing we'd be laughing about it later.  But it turns out it's a one night show and it's on Selection Sunday.  That is literally my favorite day of the year.  

So now I don't know what to do. Has anyone seen it live?  Good?  Bad?  Worth it?

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember really enjoying it.  I played percussion in HS, so that might have something to do with it.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember really enjoying it.  I played percussion in HS, so that might have something to do with it.
I didn't play drums, but I've always been fascinated by them.  Drumline is a very underrated movie.

If you are into drums...find a WGI event this spring (especially a major one with the big independent groups...or if in cali find Chino Hills HS putting on a show).

Ok...maybe you have to be very into drums for these.  But some really crazy shows from those bigger groups.  Last year was my first introduction into these things as my son is a drummer.  They are just now getting into winter drumline mode.  Elaborate shows and props and stuff...he is in a lower class than those bigger (and well, much better funded) schools and groups.  Though, we have a couple really good independent groups here around town too.

The downside is you may be sitting in a gym rather than comfy seats til they get to the big competition in Dayton OH.

Stomp is a blast...the theater is in the hood and I've seen it three times over the years (when it came out, with a visiting drummer friend, and more recently with my drummer son). It's loud, so anticipate that. It's more than banging on cans, obviously. Like Blue Man is more than 3 guys painted blue.

Turns out one of floppinho's middle school classmates parents is one of the founders from England (and still involved back of house) and she met the dad on the cast when it came to NYC in the 90s. Really nice people- you want their kid to go without food this week because you don't want to get discount tickets from the Amish?

This isn't so much a thread asking what's better than Stomp.  I was just asking if Stomp is worth seeing.  If it fell on any other day other than Selection Sunday, I'd buy the tickets.  

Actually, I think the email had the wrong date.  Because the website now lists the date as April, not March. This might change everything.

Blue Man Group >>> Stomp

:oldunsure:
I agree.

Stomp gets a little repetitive by the end, a limitation of them banging on stuff being the theme. But it's still fun to see, especially if the tickets are cheap. I think we paid $25 per for front row on a special deal...

Actually, I think the email had the wrong date.  Because the website now lists the date as April, not March. This might change everything.
Damnit.  Looks like the website is wrong.  Email says March.  One page of the website says April.  But it's listed on the calendar as March.  Lousy Smarch scheduling.  :angry:

I agree.

Stomp gets a little repetitive by the end, a limitation of them banging on stuff being the theme. But it's still fun to see, especially if the tickets are cheap. I think we paid $25 per for front row on a special deal...
Wow.  That's super cheap.  Tickets for this one are $59.

Fwiw...if it's not a hit to your finances, I do think that's still worth it to see at that price. It's not tip top theater, but it's a fun show.
Again, that was my thought.  For $60 bucks a ticket, I was all for checking it out.  It's just why did it have to be on Selection Sunday?  :no:

My first thought when I saw this thread title was a The Stone Foxes song called stomp; that did not compel me to reply.  However, it did spark the urge to actually listen to the song, so I searched it out on YouTube.  The video, on the other hand, did compel me to reply... check out this masterpiece:  The Stone Foxes - Stomp

I've seen it multiple times, but not recently. I'd say it is worth the money.

if you are a musical person (like I am), or you appreciate talented people doing cool live performances, then it's a no brainer.

If you are into drums...find a WGI event this spring (especially a major one with the big independent groups...or if in cali find Chino Hills HS putting on a show).

Ok...maybe you have to be very into drums for these.  But some really crazy shows from those bigger groups.  Last year was my first introduction into these things as my son is a drummer.  They are just now getting into winter drumline mode.  Elaborate shows and props and stuff...he is in a lower class than those bigger (and well, much better funded) schools and groups.  Though, we have a couple really good independent groups here around town too.

The downside is you may be sitting in a gym rather than comfy seats til they get to the big competition in Dayton OH.
:dadbrag:

My daughters winter percussion won their class last year (scholastic concert open or something like that. Basically all sideline percussion and not the marching drumline and props.

A lot of awesome shows, but you can definitely get to the point of “if I hear one more cymbal......”

:dadbrag:

My daughters winter percussion won their class last year (scholastic concert open or something like that. Basically all sideline percussion and not the marching drumline and props.

A lot of awesome shows, but you can definitely get to the point of “if I hear one more cymbal......”
Awesome...we didn't make it to finals last year...school was top 10 in A class 2 years ago...we got promoted to Open at a WGI regional event last year which was awesome for the kids but they knew Dayton would be hard.  Made it to Semis but judges weren't into it in semi (scores actually went down which was pretty surprising).

Another friend's daughter's school won scholastic Open last year.

seen it and its actually playing local to us on NYE so I may see it again. 

its a fun show but def not your traditional type play. There is very little to no talking if I remember correctly. And the scenes generally start out slow, usually with only 1 or 2 actors doing simple sounds, but they slowly build by adding a few others at a time and when they are all in unison its pretty damn cool. 

If the dates fit and it won't break the bank its def worth seeing. 

Can’t you just see kids performing with buckets on the streets for just a few bucks these days?

My son was into percussion through high school.  He primarily played the marimba, but also some snare.  I'll echo sho nuff...these shows are pretty awesome.  And if you can get to Dayton, you can see some amazing shows.  I remember one show from a group out of California.  The theme was Little Boxes.  Toward the end, the snare drummers were picked up and hung upside down by their feet.  While continuing to drum throughout the maneuver.  All while keeping perfect time.  My jaw dropped.

ETA- Here's the video.  The show title was "That Which Confines Us", but is based off the song "Little Boxes".

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah...the thread topic.  I saw Stomp twice and enjoyed it very much.  There's much more to the show than just banging on trash cans.  And they do a pretty good job of getting the audience involved.  Worth the $50, especially if you enjoy percussion.

So tickets went on sale Saturday morning.  When I got home from work Friday, I told my wife that the footballguys said it might be worth giving it a shot.  She was still on the fence, so I pulled up YouTube and we watched a quick 9 minute video.  It was of the guys with the brooms.  As we watched, I thought, "This is so corny." But even then, I still thought it might be fun.  When the video ended, I said to my wife, "So, what do you think?"  She smiled and said, "It looks...  um... neat."  

I've known my wife for over 35 years.  I've never heard her say something looks "neat."  So after I pointed that out and we laughed for about 15 minutes, I guess I'll be watching CBS announce who will be playing in the NCAA Tourney for the 40th year in a row.  :lol:

I had meant to reply to the YouTube post that this isn't something that translates well to non-live experience. Money saved, and I'm sure you'll have fun watching TV instead- enjoy!

ETA...that may have come across snarkier than intended...the show isnt for everyone. I've known a fair number of people who weren't blown away- but they all said they had fun. 

I guess my sons classmate will have to scrounge through the cafeteria garbage cans again to help feed his family of nine.

Last edited by a moderator:
So tickets went on sale Saturday morning.  When I got home from work Friday, I told my wife that the footballguys said it might be worth giving it a shot.  She was still on the fence, so I pulled up YouTube and we watched a quick 9 minute video.  It was of the guys with the brooms.  As we watched, I thought, "This is so corny." But even then, I still thought it might be fun.  When the video ended, I said to my wife, "So, what do you think?"  She smiled and said, "It looks...  um... neat."  

I've known my wife for over 35 years.  I've never heard her say something looks "neat."  So after I pointed that out and we laughed for about 15 minutes, I guess I'll be watching CBS announce who will be playing in the NCAA Tourney for the 40th year in a row.  :lol:
Good choice.  I found after 15 minutes Stomp got a bit boring.

I had meant to reply to the YouTube post that this isn't something that translates well to non-live experience. Money saved, and I'm sure you'll have fun watching TV instead- enjoy!

ETA...that may have come across snarkier than intended...the show isnt for everyone. I've known a fair number of people who weren't blown away- but they all said they had fun. 

I guess my sons classmate will have to scrounge through the cafeteria garbage cans again to help feed his family of nine.
Again, I think I would have enjoyed it.  But there was no way my wife was going to enjoy 90 minutes of that.  I applaud her because she tried to play it off like she would and she said she'd go if I wanted to.  But I know she doesn't want to go.  And I'd feel horrible taking her.

Again, I think I would have enjoyed it.  But there was no way my wife was going to enjoy 90 minutes of that.  I applaud her because she tried to play it off like she would and she said she'd go if I wanted to.  But I know she doesn't want to go.  And I'd feel horrible taking her.
WHY WON'T YOU THINK OF THE BROOKLYN HIPSTER KIDS

WHY WON'T YOU THINK OF THE BROOKLYN HIPSTER KIDS
I've been to Brooklyn once.  Went over there to eat some chicken and waffles.  Cost me an arm and a leg.  I've given enough money to Brooklyn then I ever should have.  Now, get off my lawn! :ShakesCaneInAir:

The "novelty" wore off quickly for me.  Its cool and fun but after 30 minutes I was like ok I get it....  :)

How many more "Selection Sunday's" do you have left?  Do you want to use one of those on STOMP?

This isn't so much a thread asking what's better than Stomp.  I was just asking if Stomp is worth seeing.  If it fell on any other day other than Selection Sunday, I'd buy the tickets.  
FWIW I liked it when I saw them in Brazil some 15+ years ago

A show so popular that it's still running in NYC after almost 30 years?  Yeah, definitely skip it for Clark Kellogg.   

Saw Stomp in the Orpheum in NYC a few years ago. Fantastic!

You'll never use your broom for just sweeping up again.

Isn't the selection show at 6? How far is the drive to the theater? Seems like you should be able to do both...assuming there are no Amish bars nearby the theater where you can watch the selection show.

Users who are viewing this thread