Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Otis

Dognerds: Pick the Otis family dog breed

Let me start with #nopitbulls

Our girls are young and love dogs and we are considering further complicating our lives with a dumb animal.  We’ve decided we don’t want something that sheds hair all over our crap or that leaves our house smelling like a barn, so we want something that doesn’t shed and is hypoallergenic. Otis prefers a bigger dog. 

Mrs. O seems set on a labradoodle, but is willing to do one of the bigger ones. I may be OK with that, but I’m also interested in a mountain cur or an Italian greyhound. 

Thoguhts/ recommendations?  Requirements are we don’t want hair all over the place and don’t want the place to smell like ###, something good for a family and kids, and (for Otis), a breed that is hypoallergenic, and something that isn’t small and totally lame (I had a west highland terrier growing up). 

TIA 

Edited by Otis

Or Australian Shepherd...very trendy on the city now, which will appeal to dad, and very smart, cut and loyal, which will appeal to the rest of the family.

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Pit.

Came into post this.  

I got this guys.

Oats, you want an Entlebucher.  They're basically the Jeep of dogs; super expensive even though they probably shouldn't be, but everyone will look at you if you own one.

(They are pretty awesome dogs though.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Or Australian Shepherd...very trendy on the city now, which will appeal to dad, and very smart, cut and loyal, which will appeal to the rest of the family.

Not hypoallergenic 

Lots of really ####ty advice so far. Keep em coming guys. 

Edited by Otis
  • Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Otis said:

Not hypoallergenic 

Does that mean "didn't read the op"? Because, yeah.

12 minutes ago, modogg said:

American Staffordshire terrier     /end thread

Not hypoallergenic. Looks like a stupid pit bull. I don’t have any neck tats. 

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Does that mean "didn't read the op"? Because, yeah.

Yup 

5 minutes ago, Dezbelief said:

Lab

Would love to but doesn’t fit the bill. 

If I had my choice I would get a blue German shepherd. They’re awesome and somewhat rare and great dogs. But Mrs. O is against it. 

Just now, Otis said:

If I had my choice I would get a blue German shepherd. They’re awesome and somewhat rare and great dogs. But Mrs. O is against it. 

Shepherds are great family dogs, but your kids' friends who aren't dog people might get the stink eye.

CURRENT LIST IN THE RUNNING

Labradoodle

Mountain Cur

italian Greyhound

Vizsla

14 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Other than some shedding, the Bernese Mountain Dog meets your requirements.  Big, smart, extremely kid friendly and loyal.  

We had 2 Berners while my daughters were young and they loved them.

Eh.  Nothing worse than walking into a house covered in pet hair, or being that schlub who goes to work with animal hair all over his suit. IM OUT

3 minutes ago, Dezbelief said:

Nix the greyhound, they can turn unexpectedly.

Hm. Reviews look pretty good. Only thing is they need some exercise. God knows Otis could use an excuse to get out for some long walks.  

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

Eh.  Nothing worse than walking into a house covered in pet hair, or being that schlub who goes to work with animal hair all over his suit. IM OUT

I don't think dog ownership is for you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Truly non-shedding dogs do not exist.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Hm. Reviews look pretty good. Only thing is they need some exercise. God knows Otis could use an excuse to get out for some long walks.  

NVM I was thinking of the Great Dane.

Obligatory: Ovcharka

Pros: They will murder pitbulls

Cons: They're loyal to Russian mobsters wearing track suits

I wish you would get a pitbull simply for the likliehood that it would treat you like an enemy anytime you went near your daughter's rooms.  Not sure how young your daughters are, but if they're approaching 8 or 9-ish, consider a pitbull.  They are ####### awesome dogs! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

How about the Bernadoodle. Like the Labradoodle but even better. I met one in nyc in July. He was so beautiful and friendly and huge!! But clipped short. Had the coloring of the Bernese but the shape and texture of a poodle. I’m sure it will be very expensive too so you get the “look at me “ factor. 

https://www.swissridgekennels.com/breeds/bernedoodles/

Edited by Clown Car
  • Like 3

a wheaten terrier

looks like a goldendoddle but cuter.  friendly, playful, and good with kids.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Cane Corso

x2. These big boys really don't shed all that match. Big loveable goons that love to please. Look a lot tougher than they are.

• Like 2

Otis - I need to re-home a dog.  He’s a large labradoodle and he barks a lot.  Let me know if you’re interested and I will jump over my neighbor’s fence and get him for you.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 8

Boxers.  Amazing dogs and outstanding with kids.  Owned 3 (just got an 8week old pup on Monday for my 4 year old daughter).  Got my first one because I had a Rotty and didn’t want a dog that shed like crazy and dislike small dogs.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Get the one that costs $5k

That’s a French Bulldog fer sher. 

Best. Dog. Evah. 

• Like 1

I know it probably won't fit into your "guidelines", but you should really get a shelter dog. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Otis said:

CURRENT LIST IN THE RUNNING

Labradoodle

Mountain Cur

italian Greyhound

Vizsla

Labradoodle is the only hypoallergenic choice on your list. 

7 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

I don't think dog ownership is for you.

This may be true.

8 hours ago, El Floppo said:

We have two Aussies - love them.

But they do shed.

Bichon frise. They are great dogs; playful, calm, great with kids, low maintenance other than needing to be groomed/brushed. IG’s are fragile and risk takers. Think jumping off a couch and breaking legs. We had a bichon growing up, and my wife got one when we were dating. I looked into IG’s and decided against the breed (no offense to anyone).

My daughter and I are allergic to dogs, we weren’t allergic to our bichon, but both are to our neighbors labradoodle. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Super King said:

I know it probably won't fit into your "guidelines", but you should really get a shelter dog. 

Yep

8 hours ago, Clown Car said:

How about the Bernadoodle. Like the Labradoodle but even better. I met one in nyc in July. He was so beautiful and friendly and huge!! But clipped short. Had the coloring of the Bernese but the shape and texture of a poodle. I’m sure it will be very expensive too so you get the “look at me “ factor. 

https://www.swissridgekennels.com/breeds/bernedoodles/

My sister has one

• Like 1

We have a schnauzer and he doesn't shed.  He's a great dog but is small so he doesn't fit the bill for Oats.   Get a golden doodle or labradoodle.   They are great family dogs.