Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Otis

Dognerds: Pick the Otis family dog breed

Mrs. O in communication with a breeder in North Carolina.  She has some Irish Doodles coming in December.  Supposedly non-shedding and great dogs, and these will be mid-sized, a nice compromise between the lap dogs and not lap dogs.

We'll see.

Edited by Otis

18 minutes ago, Otis said:

Mrs. O in communication with a breeder in North Carolina.  She has some Irish Doodles coming in December.  Supposedly non-shedding and great dogs, and these will be mid-sized, a nice compromise between the lap dogs and not lap dogs.

We'll see.

Great non shedding drunks, I suppose. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Otis said:
13 hours ago, boilerdave said:

This post deserves all the likes. Please atleast consider a rescue Otis.

Considered.  Motion denied

There are breed specific rescues out there for damn near every breed imaginable. My neighbor just rescued a 2 year-old goldendoodle that is a great dog and came well-trained. My other neighbor just rescued a Great Pyrenees puppy from someone who had the dog shipped across the country and was second guessing their decision to manage such a big dog. 

Not only do you save a dog from possibly being euthanized, you get the dog for waaaaaay less money than buying from a breeder. Out here in CA there are is an abundance of poodle breeds and pitbulls (which I realize you are against)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dickies said:

There are breed specific rescues out there for damn near every breed imaginable. My neighbor just rescued a 2 year-old goldendoodle that is a great dog and came well-trained. My other neighbor just rescued a Great Pyrenees puppy from someone who had the dog shipped across the country and was second guessing their decision to manage such a big dog. 

Not only do you save a dog from possibly being euthanized, you get the dog for waaaaaay less money than buying from a breeder. Out here in CA there are is an abundance of poodle breeds and pitbulls (which I realize you are against)

Don't worry. O's dog will be listed for adoption on those rescue site's soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Dickies said:

With little kids in my home, and their friends in the home, I just am not the guy to take that risk.  And if the dog ends up a snapping, nasty jackhole and I have to give it up, that's three girls' hearts I've broken.  Sorry, I'm not the one in a position to be dog saver guy.  

Edited by Otis

Most of the rescues seem to be pit mixes. If you want to be mad at anyone for the massive number of rescues, let's blame all the pit bull nerds with neck tats fueling their proliferation.  It's neither a problem of my own making, nor one that I'm in any position to fix or, frankly, care all that much about.  Sorry, I know that makes the dog peeps really angry. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

18 minutes ago, Otis said:

With little kids in my home, and their friends in the home, I just am not the guy to take that risk.  And if the dog ends up a snapping, nasty jackhole and I have to give it up, that's three girls' hearts I've broken.  Sorry, I'm not the one in a position to be dog saver guy.  

its fair brohan but someday somewhere i hope you rescue a nonpitbull take that to the bank

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Otis said:

You could have this problem buying a puppy from a breeder

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Otis said:

We'll see.

It makes sense for Mrs. O to call the shots as she will be the owner.  You’re just the guy paying for the gift that keeps giving.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Otis said:

Maybe try a goldfish

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Otis said:

Most of the rescues seem to be pit mixes. If you want to be mad at anyone for the massive number of rescues, let's blame all the pit bull nerds with neck tats fueling their proliferation.  It's neither a problem of my own making, nor one that I'm in any position to fix or, frankly, care all that much about.  Sorry, I know that makes the dog peeps really angry. 

Point is here are two is a Doodle rescue, specifically rescuing doodles, in NY. They are not pit mixes. And what's great about these places is they will tell you way more about the dogs than most breeder's will be able to.

One

Edited by Hawks64
  • Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 11:26 PM, Otis said:

Not hypoallergenic. Looks like a stupid pit bull. I don’t have any neck tats. 

Could go for an Aussiedoodle

12 hours ago, Otis said:
13 hours ago, Dickies said:

I'll echo Dickies' post and think you're missing the point. 

A lot of these breed specific rescues are not your run of the mill shelters where you're blindly adopting a dog.  Many are foster based, where they're rescuing very specific dogs that fit their profiles.  The dogs are thoroughly evaluated before being taken to a foster home.  From there, the fosters keep them for varying amounts of time depending on the dog's situation.  Once the foster feels the dog is ready, they put them up for adoption.  People can apply for adoption and go through a thorough process to vet the family, their home, etc.  Once you're ready to adopt a specific dog, they send you a full profile on the dog to see if they meet your expectations.  If they do, you formally apply and then the rescue + foster parents determine if you're the best match for the dog and vice versa.  

We started the process with a Lab rescue in Aug and finally found a match last month.  It was frustrating (we were previously 0 for 5), but the end result was a picture perfect match.  When we applied for a dog, we got an 8 page profile describing every little detail about the dog based on the Foster's experiences with them.  With the dog we ended up adopting, that profile was so spot on we knew him before we ever met him in person.  

I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears; these rescues are doing amazing work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dickies said:

Yep. Actually probably more so 

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

27 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
13 hours ago, Dickies said:

Yep. Actually probably more so 

Agreed. I will add that a puppy is super cute for the first few months, but it’s a pretty stressful experience.  

• Like 1

I'd worry about health problems later on with all these recent hybrid doodle variations.  Off the top of my head larger hypo allergenic breeds, Standard Schnauzer, Kerry Blue Terrier, Airdale Terrier, and a Wheaton terrier.  Standard poodles are also very nice.

Rescue dog or lock the thread.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 3:34 PM, The General said:

Find a good shelter. Go down there for a few days tell you find the one that you like and likes you.

This is the only way I know of to get a dog. I don't go so far as to demonize breeders (except for some breeds), but there are so many great dogs that need rescuing, it doesn't make sense to me outside of extreme circumstances to go to a breeder.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

This is the only way I know of to get a dog. I don't go so far as to demonize breeders (except for some breeds), but there are so many great dogs that need rescuing, it doesn't make sense to me outside of extreme circumstances to go to a breeder.  

:goodposting:

6 hours ago, cincredfan said:

Could go for an Aussiedoodle

It’s on the list. 

6 hours ago, Ned said:

I'll echo Dickies' post and think you're missing the point. 

A lot of these breed specific rescues are not your run of the mill shelters where you're blindly adopting a dog.  Many are foster based, where they're rescuing very specific dogs that fit their profiles.  The dogs are thoroughly evaluated before being taken to a foster home.  From there, the fosters keep them for varying amounts of time depending on the dog's situation.  Once the foster feels the dog is ready, they put them up for adoption.  People can apply for adoption and go through a thorough process to vet the family, their home, etc.  Once you're ready to adopt a specific dog, they send you a full profile on the dog to see if they meet your expectations.  If they do, you formally apply and then the rescue + foster parents determine if you're the best match for the dog and vice versa.  

We started the process with a Lab rescue in Aug and finally found a match last month.  It was frustrating (we were previously 0 for 5), but the end result was a picture perfect match.  When we applied for a dog, we got an 8 page profile describing every little detail about the dog based on the Foster's experiences with them.  With the dog we ended up adopting, that profile was so spot on we knew him before we ever met him in person.  

I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears; these rescues are doing amazing work.

That sounds like a lot of work. 

• Sad 1

On 11/16/2019 at 12:50 AM, dkp993 said:

Boxers.  Amazing dogs and outstanding with kids.  Owned 3 (just got an 8week old pup on Monday for my 4 year old daughter).  Got my first one because I had a Rotty and didn’t want a dog that shed like crazy and dislike small dogs.  

I have 2 boxers and my daughters are 9 and 4. Perfect dogs, especially for kids. The dogs take turns sleeping in the girls bedrooms. Very loyal and protective. 
I’ll never own a different breed. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

I have 2 boxers and my daughters are 9 and 4. Perfect dogs, especially for kids. The dogs take turns sleeping in the girls bedrooms. Very loyal and protective. 
I’ll never own a different breed. 

Has anyone made a boxerdoodle? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Otis said:

Then a dog isn’t for you. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Can't wait for the thread 6 months from now: "Dognerds, my hybrid labracockerdoberdoodle is acting up and biting my kids. Tell me how to get rid of it."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Julian Edelminnow imo

On 11/15/2019 at 11:50 PM, dkp993 said:

Boxers.  Amazing dogs and outstanding with kids.  Owned 3 (just got an 8week old pup on Monday for my 4 year old daughter).  Got my first one because I had a Rotty and didn’t want a dog that shed like crazy and dislike small dogs.  

We have one and he is simply amazing.  They are truly the "clowns" of the dog world. Anyone who has or has had a boxer can watch that and completely relate.  Anyone who doesn't probably looks at that and thinks they are nuts.

But, they definitely shed and I don't think Oats can give one the time it needs.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

We have one and he is simply amazing.  They are truly the "clowns" of the dog world. Anyone who has or has had a boxer can watch that and completely relate.  Anyone who doesn't probably looks at that and thinks they are nuts.

But, they definitely shed and I don't think Oats can give one the time it needs.

Definitely agree, They are probably my favorite breed other than Rottweiler.  I had a Boxer when I was younger and thoroughly enjoyed the breed.  I would love to have another Boxer or Rottweiler, but I don't have the space to adequately give them the space they need and the wife does not want that large of a breed in the house so we settled on the Boston.   I miss having a dog, but we are gone so much now that we don't have the lifestyle to bring a puppy into the mix.

3 hours ago, Scoresman said:

Can't wait for the thread 6 months from now: "Dognerds, my hybrid labracockerdoberdoodle is acting up and biting my kids. Tell me how to get rid of it."

Exactly 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, snellman said:

Definitely agree, They are probably my favorite breed other than Rottweiler.  I had a Boxer when I was younger and thoroughly enjoyed the breed.  I would love to have another Boxer or Rottweiler, but I don't have the space to adequately give them the space they need and the wife does not want that large of a breed in the house so we settled on the Boston.   I miss having a dog, but we are gone so much now that we don't have the lifestyle to bring a puppy into the mix.

Had a Rotty and my first Boxer at the same time in my early 20’s.  Rottys are amazing dogs, but shed like a MF’er.  

Edited by dkp993

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

Had a Rotty and my first Boxer at the same time in my early 20’s.  Rottys are amazing dogs, but shed like a MF’er.  

I had 3 Rottys, never noticed that with any of them.  They were outside 95% of the time though.  Some of the best dogs I ever had with my daughters when they were younger.

29 minutes ago, snellman said:

I had 3 Rottys, never noticed that with any of them.  They were outside 95% of the time though.  Some of the best dogs I ever had with my daughters when they were younger.

I tend to think the older dog breeds are tried and true.  Sometimes dog breeders do not necessary bring out the best traits.  Link

Edited by bradyfan
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, snellman said:

Outstanding dogs for sure

go to the shelter and pick something out.  adopt, don't shop.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Has this come back to Labs yet? Why overthink this? 

Every lab I’ve ever met has been a sweetheart 

Guys guys he’s not going to listen to us. Why try. Besides the wife wears the pants and has the whole situation in control and $5k in hand to buy a schmauzendoodle from the local breeder.

/thread

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3
  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1

I have a Boxer and just got a French Bulldog.  Boxers are great dogs, very patient with puppies and small ones.  Our frenchie is a great pup too.  Tons of personality and loves to be on the lap...

Former neighbors had two boxers.  Very athletic.  Sweet, even timid.  My first exposure to that breed.  I liked them but thought they needed a great deal of exercise.  Of course those two had each other and a large yard in which to run.

7 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Has this come back to Labs yet? Why overthink this? 

Totally on board with this.  Mrs. O not so much. 

15 hours ago, Otis said:

*flies 500 miles to a different state to check out a dog at a breeder*

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

On 11/17/2019 at 8:00 PM, Otis said:

We'll see.

We got a doodle, for the alleged non shedding.

He sheds.

Great dog.

Edited by matuski

I would just get a lab, they are the best dog and check all the dog boxes of being good dogs. I prefer black ones, but you can get a yellow one if you want. 

1 hour ago, huthut said:

I would just get a lab, they are the best dog and check all the dog boxes of being good dogs. I prefer black ones, but you can get a yellow one if you want. 

Have have had yellow but chocolates rule. I have a 115 pound English chocolate lab. Louie is a lovable BEAST.

• Like 1