What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dognerds: Pick the Otis family dog breed (1 Viewer)

Vizslas are crazy high energy dogs. Fairly high maintenance. Great dogs though. We used to take ours to day care 4-5 days a week, the dog park almost every night, on long hikes and that guy was still a handful.  

Have have had yellow but chocolates rule. I have a 115 pound English chocolate lab. Louie is a lovable BEAST.
Chocolate labs always seem to have giant heads. To me their features always look like something had to get mixed in to get that color, like they are not pure labs. Probably still good dogs though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a husky but make sure you pick out the dog yourself. Never take the dogs who run up for attention. You want to grab the lazy one. That's what I did and mine is super low maintenance but a great dog and will play when you want to.

I ingnored the shed part...

I’ve always had bigger dogs 50lbs+ and that is what I prefer but one thing to consider is,  

big dog = big poop!

Of course you could afford the pooper scooper company that comes out and cleans your yard up. I had two boys that seemed to get in trouble enough to keep our yard cleaned up. 
Our lab can drop a dump like no other - and he never, ever goes on the grass.  We walk him twice a day and he always goes on those walks.  Take bags, throw in small container by the fence until trash day, no problem.  Unless you live in Siberia - walk your dogs!

Chocolate labs always seem to have giant heads. To me their features always look like something had to get mixed in to get that color, like they are not pure labs. Probably still good dogs though.
All labs size, especially size of head, depends on whether they are American or English.  That's it. Completely purebreds.

Judge Smails said:
Our lab can drop a dump like no other - and he never, ever goes on the grass.  We walk him twice a day and he always goes on those walks.  Take bags, throw in small container by the fence until trash day, no problem.  Unless you live in Siberia - walk your dogs!
my dog won't poop on a walk.  drives me nuts.

Most people.
It’s scary to me that there are people who feel this way.  It’s sort of like the rabid trump supporters.  I’ll just never understand that.

They’re just big dumb animals. The dogs I mean. 

I'll echo Dickies' post and think you're missing the point. 

A lot of these breed specific rescues are not your run of the mill shelters where you're blindly adopting a dog.  Many are foster based, where they're rescuing very specific dogs that fit their profiles.  The dogs are thoroughly evaluated before being taken to a foster home.  From there, the fosters keep them for varying amounts of time depending on the dog's situation.  Once the foster feels the dog is ready, they put them up for adoption.  People can apply for adoption and go through a thorough process to vet the family, their home, etc.  Once you're ready to adopt a specific dog, they send you a full profile on the dog to see if they meet your expectations.  If they do, you formally apply and then the rescue + foster parents determine if you're the best match for the dog and vice versa.  

We started the process with a Lab rescue in Aug and finally found a match last month.  It was frustrating (we were previously 0 for 5), but the end result was a picture perfect match.  When we applied for a dog, we got an 8 page profile describing every little detail about the dog based on the Foster's experiences with them.  With the dog we ended up adopting, that profile was so spot on we knew him before we ever met him in person.  

I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears; these rescues are doing amazing work.
Do you have a link to one of these. Sounds interesting 

I am picturing Otis, frustrated because his only partially trained dog wont come in out of the yard shouting "come here Kameer!"

Or if it turns out to be a leg hound constantly humping his visitors I can picture Otis shouting "Get off of her Rhigetti!", something he has likely had to say previously in his life.

Portuguese Water Dog for the win!
@northern exposure

I don't think this suggestion got enough attention and follow-up. A lot of people (including me) brought up Bichon Frises, which are great dogs that have everything Otis says he wants except large size.

The Portuguese Water Dog gives most all of the advantages of the Bichon (no shedding, great temperament, intelligence, etc.) in a big-dog package. I've only known one PWD personally ... but using her as a sample: a PWD will need regular exercise and could act out (i.e. chew things, scratch up doors) if not walked and played with regularly. Not a set-it-and-forget it dog, but lots of what Otis said he was looking for.

Lowchen

Never heard of a Lowchen? You’re probably not alone. This breed was nearly extinct by the 19th century and can cost you up to $8,000.

Think we have a winner

I have a good Australian labradoodle breeder somewhat near you if you decide to go that route.  Have had ours for four years now and she's simply the best dog I have ever owned. So much so, that my parents got one recently. Yes, they require some activity but that's generally a good thing for all of us. She clocks in at 29 lbs.

@northern exposure

I don't think this suggestion got enough attention and follow-up. A lot of people (including me) brought up Bichon Frises, which are great dogs that have everything Otis says he wants except large size.

The Portuguese Water Dog gives most all of the advantages of the Bichon (no shedding, great temperament, intelligence, etc.) in a big-dog package. I've only known one PWD personally ... but using her as a sample: a PWD will need regular exercise and could act out (i.e. chew things, scratch up doors) if not walked and played with regularly. Not a set-it-and-forget it dog, but lots of what Otis said he was looking for.
Our first dog was a Bichon Frise and we had him for 13 years. After he passed my wife said she did not want another dog. She relented about two years ago and we narrowed our search down to Labradoodle and Portuguese Water Dog. We ended up getting a female Labradoodle based on the breeder and when the puppies were available. Friends of ours got a PWD and they are thrilled with it. Our dogs get along very well.  In my opinion the two dogs are very close in temperament, intelligence and need for exercise and activity.

Maybe we'll just pass on the dog.  This #### sounds like a lot of work.  I can barely keep up with Mrs. O and child O's. 
Puppies are a lot of work.  Once dogs are about a year old, they should be done chewing up the house and using your house as their bathroom entirely.  Don't get a puppy if you don't have time to give it the attention it needs to be trained properly.  

Puppies are a lot of work.  Once dogs are about a year old, they should be done chewing up the house and using your house as their bathroom entirely.  Don't get a puppy if you don't have time to give it the attention it needs to be trained properly.  
I mean I'm not totally stupid.  We got a puppy when I was growing up.  That was a lot of work. 

Get yourself a Doberman.  Had a couple growing up.   Big goof balls but they will protect this house.
That was my first thought as well.  Otis strikes me as a doberman guy as well.  They are stunningly beautiful, IMO, and so smart.  The aggressiveness has been bred out of them for a while now so they are good family pets.  But, like many other dogs considered here, they need lots of training early on and lots of exercise. 

Get yourself a Doberman.  Had a couple growing up.   Big goof balls but they will protect this house.
Dobs are the biggest babies. So funny because they are nothing like they  look or their presumed reputation. Have had two growing up and would get another in an instant. Awesome family dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread