What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Walls are Oozing (1 Viewer)

Well that one is easy to disprove.  @TheMagus do you live in the projects in Chicago?

If it is wasps, they eat the gypsum from the backside of the drywall leaving you with just the paper facing.  I had a nest in my garage wall over the summer.  Was moving some stuff around and when I bumped into the wall heard it buzzing.  Tapped around and found a 12"x12" area where the wall was not solid, just the paper facing.  Screwed a piece of plywood over the area to make sure they stayed in the wall. Looked outside and found the hole they were using as their door.  Sat there for a few days with a can of wasp spray and kept soaking the opening.   Then I used a 2 gallon sprayer full of dish soap and water (the soap breaks down their surface "wax" and they soak up all the water basically drowning).  If you sproy one while they are flying they will fall to the ground and die within seconds.   Once I killed what I could from the outside I went inside.  Bought a can of wasp killer with the straw attachment, drilled a hole just bigger than the straw, stuck the straw in the wall and emptied the can.  When I pulled hte sraw out I put a piece of duct tape over the hole.  Mover over 12" and did the same thing.  When I did the first spray you could hear the wall get louder as they were pissed and trying to save the queen.  When I was drilling my holes, the drill bit would come out covered in a sticky residue where I actually drilled into the hive.

So, if your "hive" is behind a picture, drill a small hole, stick the wasp killer straw in and see what happens.  If nothing happens you only have a small hole to patch.  If the wall gets loud, your bee guy will be making a much larger hole so who cares.
You can’t do this if they are honey bees. Have to get the honey and relocate those guys! If they are wasps or yellow jackets, torch them! 

This is the first thread I check every morning. I so hope it’s bees with honey and bee jizz on your walls. Sorry. I love a boring life. 

Sorry. Not going to be able to do anything more with the wall until this weekend. 
Yikes.  I would not even be able to stay in the house without knowing.

But yeah, you'd think you'd be able to hear the buzzing if there were hives.  

Based on how you described the consistency of the "ooze", I don't think it's honey.

Can't wait for Monday.   :coffee:

OK, I promised pics earlier, but I never found a site that would host my experiment pics. Thus, I'll have to resort to something else.

While bees in the wall would be pretty bad, I have had an infestation of Brown Reclusea, b, c, d, e, f ... in my garage since 2012. So far, I have not been bit. Those pics are of a couple I kept as pets.

I also had this fine lady (a, b) as a pet, until I woke up one morning to find an egg sack in her cage. Time to pack, #####!

This guy (a, b) is currently living on my front porch, but he is not dangerous; though the bite hurts and orb weavers can be aggressive. Still, he does more good than harm. Scares weirdo's away too.

But since this is really about bees, wasps and hornets, I need to add those friends of mine from the wild. They all were pleasant.

Anyways, waiting for the next update.

Lots to figure out here.

EDIT: fixed Recluse link a ... then fixed the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I promised pics earlier, but I never found a site that would host my experiment pics. Thus, I'll have to resort to something else.

While bees in the wall would be pretty bad, I have had an infestation of Brown Reclusea, b, c, d, e, f ... in my garage since 2012. So far, I have not been bit. Those pics are of a couple I kept as pets.

I also had this fine lady (a, b) as a pet, until I woke up one morning to find an egg sack in her cage. Time to pack, #####!

This guy (a, b) is currently living on my front porch, but he is not dangerous; though the bite hurts and orb weavers can be aggressive. Still, he does more good than harm. Scares weirdo's away too.

But since this is really about bees, wasps and hornets, I need to add those friends of mine from the wild. They all were pleasant.

Lots to figure out here.

Burn It Down!

:eek:

Lots to figure out here.

:jawdrop: Oh hell to the NO.

Did a lot of investigative work yesterday and couldn't find any sign of life. I got up on a ladder and scoured the outside of the house for any entry point and there is nothing anywhere near that wall. I pulled off a vent that went to an inaccessible crawl space that is next to the living room and there is nothing in there. I banged on the walls and listened with a stethoscope (friend is a doctor and lent me one) and there is nothing alive in there. I pulled off every light switch and socket plate in the three rooms in and around the living room and poked around and they are all completely dry and show no sign of moisture. 

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure now it is not bees or wasps (or anything living). The substance also hasn't come back so if there were moisture behind the walls, it wouldn't have stopped. I think @Man of Constant Sorrow  was correct and it was the paint. It did get very cold all of a sudden a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if the sudden temperature change and high humidity was causing condensation. Everything appears to be dry now.  I know this would have been a lot more exciting if there were wall sized bee nests, but luckily it seems there is nothing there.

Did a lot of investigative work yesterday and couldn't find any sign of life. I got up on a ladder and scoured the outside of the house for any entry point and there is nothing anywhere near that wall. I pulled off a vent that went to an inaccessible crawl space that is next to the living room and there is nothing in there. I banged on the walls and listened with a stethoscope (friend is a doctor and lent me one) and there is nothing alive in there. I pulled off every light switch and socket plate in the three rooms in and around the living room and poked around and they are all completely dry and show no sign of moisture. 

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure now it is not bees or wasps (or anything living). The substance also hasn't come back so if there were moisture behind the walls, it wouldn't have stopped. I think @Man of Constant Sorrow  was correct and it was the paint. It did get very cold all of a sudden a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if the sudden temperature change and high humidity was causing condensation. Everything appears to be dry now.  I know this would have been a lot more exciting if there were wall sized bee nests, but luckily it seems there is nothing there.
Buzzkill.

I’m happy for you that it’s not bees. I have to fight Asian ladybugs trying to get in my house every fall. It’s not fun. 

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure now it is not bees or wasps (or anything living). The substance also hasn't come back so if there were moisture behind the walls, it wouldn't have stopped.
This is great news.

I think @Man of Constant Sorrow  was correct and it was the paint. It did get very cold all of a sudden a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if the sudden temperature change and high humidity was causing condensation. Everything appears to be dry now. 

IRT the bold; excellent point.

The temperature drop can be a "biggie" in regard to paint. I had my furnace go out years ago during the winter. Even though my walls were not freshly painted, the excessive condensation caused my paint to "bleed" similar to the surfactant leaching we talked about earlier.

I think you are in clear now.

Thanks for the update.

Smokers live in the house before you? It could have been tar and nicotine. My current home there were smokers living here sometime in the past. I had to steam off the backing/glue when I removed the wallpaper. The painted walls in the living room started dripping tar when the humidity got really high.

Smokers live in the house before you? It could have been tar and nicotine. My current home there were smokers living here sometime in the past. I had to steam off the backing/glue when I removed the wallpaper. The painted walls in the living room started dripping tar when the humidity got really high.
just had a horrible flashback to the orange/brown drip streaks/stains on the walls of my mother in law's house  🤢

had purged it from my mind but you might be right. 

Nah. Definitely not smokers. And one of the walls in question was a new wall from an addition they put on the house about 10 years ago so it isn't tobacco muck from 20 years ago or anything. I'm pretty sure it was the paint oozing some kind of chemical out of it. 

We had dripping in our bathroom walls near the shower. Cleaned it up once and it hasn't really come back. At least not to the extent it did. Leaching of the paint or whatever.

You should still drill a large hole behind the painting and record it for our entertainment. If nothing else it will give you further relief that there are no critters back there.

We had dripping in our bathroom walls near the shower. Cleaned it up once and it hasn't really come back. At least not to the extent it did. Leaching of the paint or whatever.

You should still drill a large hole behind the painting and record it for our entertainment. If nothing else it will give you further relief that there are no critters back there.
Plus, you could cover the hole with a painting of someone, cut out it's eyes, and use that hole to snoop on people from behind the walls.  

Users who are viewing this thread