What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JoJo Rabbit, best movie of 2019 (1 Viewer)

Saw this yesterday. Very thought provoking and interesting movie that tackled a horrific part of history with equal parts seriousness and levity.

In this day and age of formulaic action movies, it was really a breath of fresh air.

Saw this yesterday. Very thought provoking and interesting movie that tackled a horrific part of history with equal parts seriousness and levity.

In this day and age of formulaic action movies, it was really a breath of fresh air.

I thought it was very adept at walking the line between the two. It may be weird to compare the two, but I contrasted it with Death to Stalin - which I didn't think walked the line very well at all. I thought they did a great job with it in this movie.

It was amazing. Went from laughing my ### off to the verge of tears at one scene with 15ish minutes remaining.  I thought it had a ton of heart. 

You could feel it building to that moment but it still shocked me when it came.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is back at theaters this weekend. As long as you are able to laugh during dark times and are ok with edgy humor like Borat, I think you will love this. It really might be the best movie of the year- I wouldn't complain if it won Best Picture. 

Alright. Just watched the trailer. Expected it to be some artsy fartsy crap that usually wins best picture or whatever. This looks like something I would thoroughly enjoy. I'm a huge war fanatic.  Looks like a very cool side to it. 

I've watched it twice now. It's a terrific movie. Tragicomedy it's hard to do but this is a great example of it done right. Sam Rockwell especially knocks it out of the park.

Thomasin McKenzie reminds me of Jodie Foster.

Fun movie. I thought the silly parts were slightly hindered by the pseudo-German accents, which made the dialogue take a bit longer to process.

The Nazis in the movie made me recall Hannah Arendt's description of the banality of evil -- they were mostly just punching in their time cards and going through the motions. They believed some weird things about Jews -- and later about Russians -- but weren't viscerally motivated by anything less banal than trying to fit in and do what was expected of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun movie. I thought the silly parts were slightly hindered by the pseudo-German accents, which made the dialogue take a bit longer to process.

The Nazis in the movie made me recall Hannah Arendt's description of the banality of evil -- they were mostly just punching in their time cards and going through the motions. They believed some weird things about Jews -- and later about Russians -- but weren't viscerally motivated by anything less banal than trying to fit in and do what was expected of them.
The whole of German society had been conditioned for generations to just "do as you're told".

When they defended themselves at Nuremburg with "we were just following orders", they really meant it. Of course, to an individualistic society like ours that made zero sense. 

I've watched it twice now. It's a terrific movie. Tragicomedy it's hard to do but this is a great example of it done right. Sam Rockwell especially knocks it out of the park.

Thomasin McKenzie reminds me of Jodie Foster.
I watched it myself and then grabbed my wife and kids (14 & 12) and watched it the next day.  Led to some laughs and some good conversation. 

Users who are viewing this thread