What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PD stats (1 Viewer)

RoadQB

Footballguy
If you watched the Chicago Rams game last night, whats your opinion of Rams having 9 PD and

Chicago 1 PD, they had to give that one for the INT. Fuller dropped at least 1 pass for an INT, but no PD.

Do home team stat crews have a different definition of PD for the home team and the visitors.

Didn't watch the game but this is an interesting topic to me. Interested to see if anyone has any insight.

I'm pretty sure the subscriber info includes the variations between stat crews for IDP. It is a good piece of info to research and there are other (non-paid) places to find it. I didn't watch, so have no opinion on that particular game, though.

I found this. The OP claimed it was from a League Document:

PASSES DEFENSED — If a pass falls incomplete because of the defensive efforts of one player, that player should be credited with a pass defensed. This may come about in two principal ways. (1) A defensive player who makes contact with the football, thus preventing the intended receiver from making the catch, should be credited with a pass defensed. (2) A defensive player who tackles the intended receiver simultaneously with the arrival of the football, thus preventing the reception, should also be credited with a pass defensed.

A defensive player who neither touches the football nor tackles the receiver simultaneously with the arrival of the football ordinarily should not be credited with a pass defensed. No pass defensed credit should be given on plays on which the ball is overthrown or thrown out-of-bounds.

Perhaps the scorekeeper believed Fuller's drop to be an uncatchable pass.

RoadQB said:
If you watched the Chicago Rams game last night, whats your opinion of Rams having 9 PD and

Chicago 1 PD, they had to give that one for the INT. Fuller dropped at least 1 pass for an INT, but no PD.

Do home team stat crews have a different definition of PD for the home team and the visitors.
Also worth noting that Bears QBs combined for 21 incompletions. Rams had 6. Trashbagski repeatedly threw short, into tight windows, while Gofful's throws were generally farther downfield, into less traffic, and occasionally way off target.

There are stat crew variations but not much when it comes to PD.  The main thing is to get a PD the defender pretty much has to touch the ball, or force it to come out before the catch is complete.

Doesn’t surprise me the imbalance.  Trubisky throws a lot of not-quite-on-target balls and Rams backfield was playing tight coverage.  Rams’ receivers seem better at getting schemed open as well.  Plus, at least a couple of the PDs were to the DL batting them at the line.  Don’t think the Bears did that to Goff.

RoadQB said:
If you're logging into a team website's media section, then you see home team stats. Most people never do.

Stats for a game are done by six people, individually and simultaneously, for each side and three supervisory reviews. If there is a high variation between the 12, that will cue another 12 and 3 supervisors to do it again. On Monday, if stats are very different from a competitor, this would force a review too. Reviews are 100 percent gauged by a computer algorithm triggering it.

Passes defensed is not a force a review statistic neither are sacks or targets. Still though, you've got 15 strangers at home doing this by hand coming up with the same stats. There are some that do it at a stadium but it's distracting and not fun. PD can be changed by the reviewers if the game is redone, but it just won't cue a review

This is how Stats and Elias do it. PFF does it similar but different.  

Thanks for the info. I agree that the Rams had a lot more opportunities. The drop by Fuller was a PD in my opinion.

He cut in front of the Ram's player and just didn't hold on for a INT.

Users who are viewing this thread