What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Belgium Brewing Sells To International Conglomerate (2 Viewers)

Yeah, I really don't get the faux outrage here of 'selling out'.  "I'm never going to drink this product again".  Why, does it taste different?
This is my thinking as well. Really weird to read all this. 

If your preferred product starts dropping in quality as a result of new ownership, of course stop buying it. But barring something more socially upsetting, who cares who owns and produces something you like?

If I liked the taste of Bud Light, I'd buy Bud Light. 

Also, some small businesses are not necessarily worthy of support, assuming that's your goal by patronizing them. 
Of course. There are lots of other factors as well.

I'm saying all other things being equal, I'll choose the local / small business. Maybe even when they're not equal. But like with everything, there are limits. ;)  

Not sure who you think is "outraged". And if it's "faux"
I don't know how to do multi-quotes here, but in your second post in your thread you stated you'd no longer be buying New Belgium.  Seems like you're upset, maybe outraged was too strong.  But still, does it taste different?

Anyhow, I also get what you stated that you prefer to buy independent.  That's very fine as do I, in particular with restaurants.  But I mean, does it really matter who owns it?  I remember when I was younger I used to go to a local Irish Pub owned by a brother and sister from Ireland.  They were very nice and I went there quite often for awhile.  A few years later I went it, and the owner and sister were there behind the bar, but I learned from another bartender that they sold their stake to someone else.  Same bar, lots of the same people, should I stop going there because the family sold out?  I dunno, just seems like a knee jerk response to something that's not necessary.

But to each their own, gbjb  🍻

Yeah, I really don't get the faux outrage here of 'selling out'.  "I'm never going to drink this product again".  Why, does it taste different?

Karbach brewery here in Houston sold out to international conglomerate back in 2016.  I enjoyed their product before, I enjoy it still.  Not much has changed near as I can tell.  Same brewery, lots of the same employees.  People that started the company were approached with an offer that was pretty much too good to be turned down.  Why the hell shouldn't they?  They are now financially set and if they get the urge can start up a new endeavor.

I work for a smallish company.  I've been here nearly since the inception and am super proud of what we have accomplished.  We were on the brink of shutting our doors about 2 years after I came on board, and brought it back to a very comfortable position in our market today.  But, I am under no illusions here that the owner will sell out one day to a larger company.  It would be great for him and setup his family for generations to come.  If I were him, I'd do the same thing.  I have asked him to just give me the headsup when he starts looking so I will know.  It's the natural order of things.  I'm a realist.  There has been a ton of conglomeration in my industry over the past decade.  More will follow.
it definitely can taste different if they change anything about the production process.

FWIW, not sure why New Belgium necessarily warrants its own thread.  There have been a ton of acquisitions of craft brews for a long time: https://vinepair.com/craft-beer-sales/

Here is just a partial list quickly

Elysian Brewing

10 Barrel Brewing Co.

Breckenridge Brewery.

Avery Brewing Co.

Blue Point Brewing Company.

Devil's Backbone Brewing Company.

Ballast Point Brewing Company.

Anchor Brewing Co.

Lagunitas

Founders

Four Peaks

Karbach

Terrapin

Wicked Weed

Dogfish Head

Goose Island

New Belgium

I don't know how to do multi-quotes here, but in your second post in your thread you stated you'd no longer be buying New Belgium.  Seems like you're upset, maybe outraged was too strong.  But still, does it taste different?

But to each their own, gbjb  🍻
Not outraged in the least. Just making a different buying decision. 

And biggest thing -  To each their own, gbjb  🍻

With you GB. :hifive:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyhow, I also get what you stated that you prefer to buy independent.  That's very fine as do I, in particular with restaurants.  But I mean, does it really matter who owns it?  I remember when I was younger I used to go to a local Irish Pub owned by a brother and sister from Ireland.  They were very nice and I went there quite often for awhile.  A few years later I went it, and the owner and sister were there behind the bar, but I learned from another bartender that they sold their stake to someone else.  Same bar, lots of the same people, should I stop going there because the family sold out?  I dunno, just seems like a knee jerk response to something that's not necessary.
This is an excellent point / question and one I think about too. 

I see this for lots of things from cars to clothes to beer. It's interesting. 

This is my thinking as well. Really weird to read all this. 

If your preferred product starts dropping in quality as a result of new ownership, of course stop buying it. But barring something more socially upsetting, who cares who owns and produces something you like?

If I liked the taste of Bud Light, I'd buy Bud Light. 
Another part of the interesting question @guru_007 asked.

Is there anything else to a product beyond the actual product? 

Fair question. I'd say there is. 

Serious question, do you feel the same way about Dogfish Head after the Boston Brewing merger or is that different because of the size of the acquiring company?
Good question. For Dogfish Head - Sam Adams, that felt more like a real merger between two independents. Not being acquired by the "international conglomerate". So yes, I'd say different than this deal or an InBev acquisition. Even though those are two huge businesses. 

Yeah, lack of marketability is a gigantic haircut on that share value.  Agree on the "dog and pony show" part of voting, too.

I should probably mention that this year, after years of being the lawyer handling the buying and selling of companies, I found myself in the "affected employee" position where my current employer filed for an IPO but then pulled that and was sold to private equity instead.  Personally I'm thrilled to see my options and stock actually be bought out, since being able finally to monetize that is something that I had counted on and was a significant bit of compensation.  I understand well the perils of working in a PE environment, but in this particular case that won't affect me.
Are you going to buy another house now?

Why are you going to make a different buying decision?  If you like the product, and it doesn't change after ownership of the company changes, why would you stop buying it?

ETA - I too prefer to support privately owned small companies over large ones.  I do things like go to a local grocery store for as many things as I can get there and limit what I buy from Shoprite.  Same with pharmacies - go to the local one over CVS.  But if there's a product I like and I can only get it from a large chain store, I will go there for certain products.

If you sold FBG would you want us to abandon our patronage? It just feels like when an underground band goes mainstream and people that like their music choose to not like it anymore solely because they are now more popular and more successful.   I love that you prefer to support small businesss when possible--but it shouldn't be done as an automatic protocol.  A business changing hands in a large monetization event is not necessarily a bad thing.  

Why are you going to make a different buying decision?  If you like the product, and it doesn't change after ownership of the company changes, why would you stop buying it?

ETA - I too prefer to support privately owned small companies over large ones.  I do things like go to a local grocery store for as many things as I can get there and limit what I buy from Shoprite.  Same with pharmacies - go to the local one over CVS.  But if there's a product I like and I can only get it from a large chain store, I will go there for certain products.
One thing that is specific to the beer industry is that there is so much damn good beer out there, its not hard to drop one brand in favor of another for a relatively minor reason (or a more important reason, as the case may be.)  Its not like you're depriving yourself of having good beer for trivial reasons.

One thing that is specific to the beer industry is that there is so much damn good beer out there, its not hard to drop one brand in favor of another for a relatively minor reason (or a more important reason, as the case may be.)  Its not like you're depriving yourself of having good beer for trivial reasons.
This.

You answered it here: "ETA - I too prefer to support privately owned small companies over large ones."

There are tons of great options out there from smaller / local companies. 

You answered it here: "ETA - I too prefer to support privately owned small companies over large ones."
I feel like maybe we are just romanticizing these small companies and demonizing large companies for really no reason though.

Wasn't Anheuser-Busch a "small company" at one point?

While I'm sure some of these small business owners love what they do, I think it's a bit naïve to think they aren't interested in making as much money as possible for themselves and family. Maybe some are content to just reach a certain level where they can just maintain their existence and be content with that, but I'm sure most would like to see their businesses grow as big as it can.

I wouldn't turn my back on a product I liked because they "sold out" just like I wouldn't stop listening to a band I loved just because now they play Madison Square Garden instead of the Bowery Ballroom.

Karbach brewery here in Houston sold out to international conglomerate back in 2016.  I enjoyed their product before, I enjoy it still.  Not much has changed near as I can tell.  Same brewery, lots of the same employees.  People that started the company were approached with an offer that was pretty much too good to be turned down.  Why the hell shouldn't they?  They are now financially set and if they get the urge can start up a new endeavor.

I work for a smallish company.  I've been here nearly since the inception and am super proud of what we have accomplished.  We were on the brink of shutting our doors about 2 years after I came on board, and brought it back to a very comfortable position in our market today.  But, I am under no illusions here that the owner will sell out one day to a larger company.  It would be great for him and setup his family for generations to come.  If I were him, I'd do the same thing.  I have asked him to just give me the headsup when he starts looking so I will know.  It's the natural order of things.  I'm a realist.  There has been a ton of conglomeration in my industry over the past decade.  More will follow.
There was a lot more to the Karbach stink.  When they started that brewery it felt like they were angling for a buyout from the very beginning.  But they went out of their way to deny it.  So when it happened they got more backlash than normal. Especially because it was AB. Then there was the issue of them immediately trying to recruit the St. Arnold's sales team. And of course Chris Shepherd and Kevin Floyd helped to exacerbate it because they felt most betrayed by Karbach.  I cringe when I see it on the shelves nationally now. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle these buyouts (which are inevitable if they are going to compete with the big boys) and Karbach handled it the wrong way. Cigar City, on the other hand, is an example of handling it very well. But, they were acquired by Oskar Blues, not meat fisted AB.

Shiner went to absolutely garbage post buyout.  Texas beer is so good and widespread that I have no care about this.  Too many options to count now and can't possibly get to them all at the rate I drink today.  

I feel like maybe we are just romanticizing these small companies and demonizing large companies for really no reason though.

Wasn't Anheuser-Busch a "small company" at one point?

While I'm sure some of these small business owners love what they do, I think it's a bit naïve to think they aren't interested in making as much money as possible for themselves and family. Maybe some are content to just reach a certain level where they can just maintain their existence and be content with that, but I'm sure most would like to see their businesses grow as big as it can.

I wouldn't turn my back on a product I liked because they "sold out" just like I wouldn't stop listening to a band I loved just because now they play Madison Square Garden instead of the Bowery Ballroom.
I agree that small business owners want to make as much money as possible for themselves and their family, and I would never fault them for that or for selling the business, but I disagree with the bolded.  For one thing, I would rather give my money to a family who puts their hard work into their business over giving it to shareholders who are just investing and don't care nearly as much about how the business is run.  More importantly, IMO, there are some significant differences between how small family run businesses and publicly traded companies operate, at least in some industries.  It's probably different in the beer industry, but in that grocery store I mentioned in another post they have a number of things on their shelves that are there because I asked them to carry it.  They have also tried a number of items and brands that I asked them to carry but didn't last because it didn't sell, but at least they listened and tried.  There's a real personal touch in my experience.  When I go to Shoprite it's the complete opposite - they won't carry anything just because I ask, they have a lot of new employees every time I go so there's no consistency or personal touch, and nobody there really cares if you shop there or not.  I appreciate the personal touch and I would rather support the family over millions of shareholders.

culdeus said:
Shiner went to absolutely garbage post buyout.  Texas beer is so good and widespread that I have no care about this.  Too many options to count now and can't possibly get to them all at the rate I drink today.  
What "buyout" of Shiner do you mean?

CletiusMaximus said:
Usually the case for sure.  Not a lot of places nearby make the strong sours that Wicked Weed does though.  Can't quit those altogether. 

It was a rumor that went around TX in the mid 90's. Allegedly a Japanese VC firm bought them.  But Alvarez owns 100% of Gambrinus and Gambrinus has owned Shiner since the late 80's.
The story I always heard was it's a shell company, front run by Alvarez in name only and he mainly does the back end and disty.   In any situation even with Alvarez as front man and whole owner it's not like it's some mom/pop operation.  

The story I always heard was it's a shell company, front run by Alvarez in name only and he mainly does the back end and disty.   In any situation even with Alvarez as front man and whole owner it's not like it's some mom/pop operation.  
I'd be interested in facts a bit more than stories people "hear" about buyouts. I still keep an eye on the company and I never noticed any going to "absolute garbage" after some supposed "buyout". 

They had 120 employees in 2013. It's maybe not Mom and Pop, but it's not the international conglomerate. 

https://philly.thedrinknation.com/articles/read/10732-Brewmaster-Interview-Jimmy-Mauric-of-Spoetzl-Brewery-Maker-of-Shiner-Beer-#

Usually the case for sure.  Not a lot of places nearby make the strong sours that Wicked Weed does though.  Can't quit those altogether. 
I can see that. "Other options" is a big part of the equation. 

Ron Swanson said:
There was a lot more to the Karbach stink.  When they started that brewery it felt like they were angling for a buyout from the very beginning.  But they went out of their way to deny it.  So when it happened they got more backlash than normal. Especially because it was AB. Then there was the issue of them immediately trying to recruit the St. Arnold's sales team. And of course Chris Shepherd and Kevin Floyd helped to exacerbate it because they felt most betrayed by Karbach.  I cringe when I see it on the shelves nationally now. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle these buyouts (which are inevitable if they are going to compete with the big boys) and Karbach handled it the wrong way. Cigar City, on the other hand, is an example of handling it very well. But, they were acquired by Oskar Blues, not meat fisted AB.
Karbach always struck me as one of those companies that has the T-shirt design done before they create the product. 

Ron Swanson said:
I didn't know about Cigar City and Oskar Blues. How has that gone? I like both brands. Dales Pale Ale and Jai Alai are both go to's for me and easily available in TN. 

Also, last time I was in Houston, I had some of the Mini Boss from Eureka Heights I liked a lot. Although the marketing seemed a little cute. 

Do you live in Houston? 

I didn't know about Cigar City and Oskar Blues. How has that gone? I like both brands. Dales Pale Ale and Jai Alai are both go to's for me and easily available in TN. 

Also, last time I was in Houston, I had some of the Mini Boss from Eureka Heights I liked a lot. Although the marketing seemed a little cute. 

Do you live in Houston? 
Don't live there anymore.  I grew up there and still work out of there so still get there at least monthly. As far as I can tell Oskar Blues has helped out Cigar City in some areas they use to struggle mightily...mostly in keeping up with runaway demand for some of their beers other than Jai Alai. Other than my local brewpub CC is my go to and the products are still great.  If you ever see White Oak Aged Jai Alai give it a try, along with Guayabera Pale Ale. It's a Citra hopped APA that is just delicious and not as boozy as Jai Alai. As the beer nerds say, "sessionable".

Don't live there anymore.  I grew up there and still work out of there so still get there at least monthly. As far as I can tell Oskar Blues has helped out Cigar City in some areas they use to struggle mightily...mostly in keeping up with runaway demand for some of their beers other than Jai Alai. Other than my local brewpub CC is my go to and the products are still great.  If you ever see White Oak Aged Jai Alai give it a try, along with Guayabera Pale Ale. It's a Citra hopped APA that is just delicious and not as boozy as Jai Alai. As the beer nerds say, "sessionable".
Thanks GB. Will do. I have had the Guayabera Pale Ale and like it. 

Have you been to Truth BBQ in the Heights. It's as good as the hype. I'd been to the original in Brenham and they are crushing it at the new place. Went twice last time I was there. 

I'd be interested in facts a bit more than stories people "hear" about buyouts. I still keep an eye on the company and I never noticed any going to "absolute garbage" after some supposed "buyout". 

They had 120 employees in 2013. It's maybe not Mom and Pop, but it's not the international conglomerate. 

https://philly.thedrinknation.com/articles/read/10732-Brewmaster-Interview-Jimmy-Mauric-of-Spoetzl-Brewery-Maker-of-Shiner-Beer-#
Beer is a pretty low labor overhead biz.  

Shiner transformed from an interesting beer to a watered down mess in or around 2000.   

In my mind it's exhibit A for what can go wrong in an ownership transfer no matter who signs the checks.  

I don't know if the employees are happy or not. In my experience, it's pretty rare for people to be super excited when the company they've grown up with sells to an international conglomerate. 

I'd always liked New Belgium but won't be buying anymore. I'd rather spend my money with an Independent. They have a great facility near me in Asheville. 
The local beer in KC boulevard beer also sold to a conglomerate.

Many people had the same sentiment.  "I won't buy anymore."

For one they still employed a lot of local humans.  Two the money they got infused with has just created more ability for them to create newer better beers.

But most importantly when it comes to a consumable if you actually like the product who cares who owns it?

The buying decision for food and drink is: do I like the taste of this? Yes?  Buy it.  No?  Don't buy

You see this happening in a lot of areas. I’m inside a Costco so you’d consider me corporate but I’m just a small business inside this big box.  Meanwhile, a lot of private practices are being bought up by vc firms and all being put in the same supply chain, while keeping the appearance of being private (vision source and all docs are two of these groups) Point is, not all buyouts are the same. In certain cases (and I’m not sure where new beligium runs in this) the brewery simply gets too big to be independent anymore. We have one local brewery down here in Miami (wynwood) that got bought out but it was a necessity. They didn’t have the money to expand to meet the demand and now the cash infusion will allow them to grow and realize their dream of what they want their product to be. I have a tangential relationship with the owners and they are happy bc they will continue to brew what the like but have a scale now that they can get their brews out there to more people (and have a new Belgium style tasting room etc here in south Florida)

differnt strokes in know, but the whole world is mergers and partnership deals...

Thanks GB. Will do. I have had the Guayabera Pale Ale and like it. 

Have you been to Truth BBQ in the Heights. It's as good as the hype. I'd been to the original in Brenham and they are crushing it at the new place. Went twice last time I was there. 
I have not been to the Heights location, but I agree the Brenham one is awesome.  One of those places like Micklethwaite where they are doing great sides and desserts too. Their beef rib was on par with Mueller's. Good to hear the new one is great too.  I'll check it out next month.  I went to a different place in the Heights last year that was wonderful meats/sides but I think he has moved.  It was called Willows TX BBQ and it was a trailer in front of Shady Acres Saloon.  Look's like he's doing some pop-ups and holiday cooking now. 

https://www.facebook.com/willowstexasbbq/

You see this happening in a lot of areas. I’m inside a Costco so you’d consider me corporate but I’m just a small business inside this big box.  Meanwhile, a lot of private practices are being bought up by vc firms and all being put in the same supply chain, while keeping the appearance of being private (vision source and all docs are two of these groups) Point is, not all buyouts are the same. In certain cases (and I’m not sure where new beligium runs in this) the brewery simply gets too big to be independent anymore. We have one local brewery down here in Miami (wynwood) that got bought out but it was a necessity. They didn’t have the money to expand to meet the demand and now the cash infusion will allow them to grow and realize their dream of what they want their product to be. I have a tangential relationship with the owners and they are happy bc they will continue to brew what the like but have a scale now that they can get their brews out there to more people (and have a new Belgium style tasting room etc here in south Florida)

differnt strokes in know, but the whole world is mergers and partnership deals...
This depends entirely on the goals of ownership. "Demand" does not have to be met. Businesses can make a decision not to grow beyond a certain point despite what the "experts" say. Or businesses can make the decision to only grow as much as cash flow will support. Loans and investors are not a requirement.

I have not been to the Heights location, but I agree the Brenham one is awesome.  One of those places like Micklethwaite where they are doing great sides and desserts too. Their beef rib was on par with Mueller's. Good to hear the new one is great too.  I'll check it out next month.  I went to a different place in the Heights last year that was wonderful meats/sides but I think he has moved.  It was called Willows TX BBQ and it was a trailer in front of Shady Acres Saloon.  Look's like he's doing some pop-ups and holiday cooking now. 

https://www.facebook.com/willowstexasbbq/
Cool. Let me know what you think about the new Truth in the Heights. Interestingly, it sort of fits with this topic. For the folks that don't know, the original Truth BBQ in Brenham is super small. Classic road side spot. A few seats inside and patio with picnic tables. Literally "mom and pop". The mom makes the cakes.

The new store in Houston is gigantic. I don't know the details but it seems clear they are partnering with a backer for money. Huge place in hot real estate part of town.

But Leonard the owner is still often behind the counter. The staff has been clearly trained up to be exceptionally friendly. It still feels like a small place.

And yes, one of the many things I think they nail is the spend as much time on the sides as they do the BBQ. So many places (Franklins...) just mail in the sides as if they'll be taking attention from the brisket or something. Truth kills it on the sides. And desserts too. 

Louie Mueller's in Taylor will always be my favorite as I fell in love with BBQ there (owner Wayne is a long time FBG Subscriber) but Truth probably gets my vote for best overall BBQ restaurant when it comes to food. 

This depends entirely on the goals of ownership. "Demand" does not have to be met. Businesses can make a decision not to grow beyond a certain point despite what the "experts" say. Or businesses can make the decision to only grow as much as cash flow will support. Loans and investors are not a requirement.
Ok comrade. /s

Cool. Let me know what you think about the new Truth in the Heights. Interestingly, it sort of fits with this topic. For the folks that don't know, the original Truth BBQ in Brenham is super small. Classic road side spot. A few seats inside and patio with picnic tables. Literally "mom and pop". The mom makes the cakes.

The new store in Houston is gigantic. I don't know the details but it seems clear they are partnering with a backer for money. Huge place in hot real estate part of town.

But Leonard the owner is still often behind the counter. The staff has been clearly trained up to be exceptionally friendly. It still feels like a small place.

And yes, one of the many things I think they nail is the spend as much time on the sides as they do the BBQ. So many places (Franklins...) just mail in the sides as if they'll be taking attention from the brisket or something. Truth kills it on the sides. And desserts too. 

Louie Mueller's in Taylor will always be my favorite as I fell in love with BBQ there (owner Wayne is a long time FBG Subscriber) but Truth probably gets my vote for best overall BBQ restaurant when it comes to food. 
This is similar to the beer industry in that success can often bring more trouble than they realize or expect.  In some industries, growth can be extremely difficult to manage, and I think beer and bbq are two good examples.  Its not like a ball-bearing factory, where you can just hire more guys and buy more machines to increase your production.  Brewing and fermentation is a delicate process, involving chemical interactions of living substances like yeast, sugars, proteins.  Things like water chemistry and temperature are extremely important.  Scaling up, using bigger but different equipment - that's a very difficult process when you've established a brand and your customers expect perfect consistency in taste, color, and other attributes of the beer.  That's why its so impressive when a company like New Belgium or Sierra Nevada can open a second brewery across the country and still deliver a high-quality, consistently excellent product only on a much larger scale.  If you're brewing a beer in Ft. Collins, CO, you can't just set up the same process in North Carolina and get the same results. They have to adapt to a different water supply, brand new equipment, possibly different suppliers for their grains and hops. An acquisition by a mega-conglomerate gives them access to a massive market through distribution and marketing relationships, but it doesn't help them quadruple their output overnight.

I used to love visiting my relatives in St. Pete because I could stop by Cigar City and try some excellent beers I could never get at home.  I would always bring a few bottles home in my luggage.  About 6 months ago, Cigar City showed up on the shelves at my local grocery store in small midwestern town a thousand miles away, priced competitively and still consistently excellent.  That is undoubtedly a result of the Oskar Blues relationship, and its great for me, but probably a massive headache for them, a double-edged sword.  They know they need to keep that spot on the shelf, and that means every time I walk in that grocery store I expect to see 3-4 offerings from CC.  That is tremendous pressure for them and its incredibly impressive to me when they can deliver.

I think in the case of Shiner, there is minimal way that Alvarez had the 100 Mil  + to cough up to do the ultimate scope of what he did, which could have closed in on 180M.

So the question here I think everyone is asking is what does it mean to be wholly owned by the original owners, is it to own it without significant debt overhead?

Goes to the adage of, if you default on your house you have a problem, but if 100 people default on their homes the bank has a problem.  

When someone like Shiner sells out even to a front man like Alvarez the backers, who are shielded from view, have all the risk.  So who owns it?  I would say the VC backers.   

But for Shiner it's clear to anyone in Texas that they changed the core product to become mass market, and thus lost a lot of appeal to their original fanbase.  It doesn't have to be that way, I'm sure there are examples of where things actually improved and the VC people just bought the cash flow and self financed.

This is similar to the beer industry in that success can often bring more trouble than they realize or expect.  In some industries, growth can be extremely difficult to manage, and I think beer and bbq are two good examples.  Its not like a ball-bearing factory, where you can just hire more guys and buy more machines to increase your production.  Brewing and fermentation is a delicate process, involving chemical interactions of living substances like yeast, sugars, proteins.  Things like water chemistry and temperature are extremely important.  Scaling up, using bigger but different equipment - that's a very difficult process when you've established a brand and your customers expect perfect consistency in taste, color, and other attributes of the beer.  That's why its so impressive when a company like New Belgium or Sierra Nevada can open a second brewery across the country and still deliver a high-quality, consistently excellent product only on a much larger scale.  They have to adapt to a different water supply, brand new equipment, possibly different suppliers for their grains and hops. An acquisition by a mega-conglomerate gives them access to a massive market through distribution and marketing relationships, but it doesn't help them quadruple their output overnight.

I used to love visiting my relatives in St. Pete because I could stop by Cigar City and try some excellent beers I could never get at home.  I would always bring a few bottles home in my luggage.  About 6 months ago, Cigar City showed up on the shelves at my local grocery store in small midwestern town a thousand miles away, priced competitively and still consistently excellent.  That is undoubtedly a result of the Oskar Blues relationship, and its great for me, but probably a massive headache for them, a double-edged sword.  They know they need to keep that spot on the shelf, and that means every time I walk in that grocery store I expect to see 3-4 offerings from CC.  That is tremendous pressure for them and its incredibly impressive to me when they can deliver.
This is a great post and to me is really the issue with mergers and buyouts.  If Heady Topper showed up in my grocery store tomorrow and tasted the same, I wouldn't care who owned Alchemist.  But increasing distribution by brewing a watered down version of the original would be infuriating.

Yes and no.  There are plenty of people who are happy "as-is" with their "little" world and there is no shame in that at all.  Then there are people who are ambitious and want the world to taste or experience their product.  I think to Joe's point the question is "Is it scalable?"  TO bring it back to me, I consider myself to be a pretty good eye doctor, but some of it is the processes I've put in place, the lack of wait times, the staff, etc. and then ME.  I can't reproduce ME, but can my processes work with another Doc examining you?  It's a tough question, but If you can keep the quality the same with scalability (and obviously the capital investment) then good for you no matter who you are.

I don't know if the employees are happy or not. In my experience, it's pretty rare for people to be super excited when the company they've grown up with sells to an international conglomerate. 

I'd always liked New Belgium but won't be buying anymore. I'd rather spend my money with an Independent. They have a great facility near me in Asheville. 
I love that place, and the many other great breweries in the area (Wicked Weed - sold to Budweiser, Green Man - looked far more "corporate" last this past summer than id did in previous visits, Sierra Nevada - tell me that place doesn't look corporate, and maybe my favorite location - Oskar Blues).  Side note - had no idea that's where you live - beautiful area to be in! 

Having taken their tour every year for the past 4 or 5 years (you get like 20 oz of beer on a free tour, why not!) they do emphasize the employee owned bit quite a lot.  And the bikes (one of which I was able to obtain for myself a while back).  But I also understand the business of these things.  I'll visit them again I'm sure, and continue to drink the beers they make that I enjoy (Fat Tire, 1554, Trippel, and even Dayblazer) unless and until quality suffers.  It's a bit sad, sure, but part of the game. 

I love that place, and the many other great breweries in the area (Wicked Weed - sold to Budweiser, Green Man - looked far more "corporate" last this past summer than id did in previous visits, Sierra Nevada - tell me that place doesn't look corporate, and maybe my favorite location - Oskar Blues).  Side note - had no idea that's where you live - beautiful area to be in! 

Having taken their tour every year for the past 4 or 5 years (you get like 20 oz of beer on a free tour, why not!) they do emphasize the employee owned bit quite a lot.  And the bikes (one of which I was able to obtain for myself a while back).  But I also understand the business of these things.  I'll visit them again I'm sure, and continue to drink the beers they make that I enjoy (Fat Tire, 1554, Trippel, and even Dayblazer) unless and until quality suffers.  It's a bit sad, sure, but part of the game. 
With you GB.

And this is has been a good exercise for me talking through some of these things.

Sierra Nevada in Asheville absolutely feels like a corporate giant. 

Reading back some of the things I wrote, I think I was likely too harsh on New Belgium. Of course every business owner has the right to do what they wish with their business. That's a big part of being the owner. They also of course have to deal with how the market reacts to what they do.

I think much of my initial reaction was my backstory of having been to the brewery many times and hearing the pride from the employees in how they owned a part of the place where they worked. And knowing that is no longer the case. And yes, they're being compensated. But it just feels different. 

Bottom line, I think I likely was too strong in the criticism. I'll still choose local / smaller companies for my beer. And I love small business and the people that run them. And I'll almost always cheer for the underdog. But I get what New Belgium is doing. For their sake and the employees,  I hope it works well for them. 

But most importantly when it comes to a consumable if you actually like the product who cares who owns it?

The buying decision for food and drink is: do I like the taste of this? Yes?  Buy it.  No?  Don't buy
Thanks. This is another post that I think can lead to a bigger and interesting discussion.

Asking the question: "Does anything matter beyond the actual product?"

I get it that your answer is no. 

I think the answer is yes. 

I'll start a new thread on that as I do think it's interesting. 

Agreed and that's a good point. All mergers and acquisitions are not the same. 

This is similar to the beer industry in that success can often bring more trouble than they realize or expect.  In some industries, growth can be extremely difficult to manage, and I think beer and bbq are two good examples.  Its not like a ball-bearing factory, where you can just hire more guys and buy more machines to increase your production.  Brewing and fermentation is a delicate process, involving chemical interactions of living substances like yeast, sugars, proteins.  Things like water chemistry and temperature are extremely important.  Scaling up, using bigger but different equipment - that's a very difficult process when you've established a brand and your customers expect perfect consistency in taste, color, and other attributes of the beer.  That's why its so impressive when a company like New Belgium or Sierra Nevada can open a second brewery across the country and still deliver a high-quality, consistently excellent product only on a much larger scale.  If you're brewing a beer in Ft. Collins, CO, you can't just set up the same process in North Carolina and get the same results. They have to adapt to a different water supply, brand new equipment, possibly different suppliers for their grains and hops. An acquisition by a mega-conglomerate gives them access to a massive market through distribution and marketing relationships, but it doesn't help them quadruple their output overnight.

Agreed for sure. For all the grief the macro breweries get, it's a pretty amazing feat they can be consistent across the country (and I'm assuming the world). Same with McDonalds. It's easy to bag on McDonalds but the truth is they hit the mark for what they're trying to do about 98% of the time. Which is way better than most companies. 

And agree as well with the similarities between beer and something labor intensive like BBQ. Lots of difficult to manage local factors at play. 

Thanks. This is another post that I think can lead to a bigger and interesting discussion.

Asking the question: "Does anything matter beyond the actual product?"

I get it that your answer is no. 

I think the answer is yes. 

I'll start a new thread on that as I do think it's interesting. 
I don't think he's saying that nothing matters beyond the actual product. I feel like you are trivializing our take.  Many of us are saying the actual product is what we consider first when it comes to either purchasing or abandoning a product.   Your posts so far in this thread for the most part seem to indicate that the nature of the ownership and the size of the company is the only thing that matters to you.   Not being confrontational or arguing--but it does feel like you are trivializing the opposing side a bit. 

But for Shiner it's clear to anyone in Texas that they changed the core product to become mass market, and thus lost a lot of appeal to their original fanbase.  It doesn't have to be that way, I'm sure there are examples of where things actually improved and the VC people just bought the cash flow and self financed.
What did they do to change the core product to become mass market? Is their Bock still not their primary beer? 

Users who are viewing this thread