What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Impulse spending (1 Viewer)

That's extremely low for 2 weeks of food.  you're the opposite of impulse spending.  Are you eating ramen noodles every day?
Here I was thinking that is extremely high!    Family of thirteen and my bill averages around 150-250/week.  

eurotrashman said:
I like picking out my own produce. 

But I'm single and I also like to see if there are any hot women touching vegetables.
Same.  I often go to Whole Foods and never buy anything.

Here I was thinking that is extremely high!    Family of thirteen and my bill averages around 150-250/week.  
Unless you live on a farm, I have no idea how you spend so little. My wife and I probably spend ~$100/week.

Can you post a sample menu for one of your $150 weeks?

Living alone -  $40/wk grocery store.  $150/wk restaurants (son and I go out for breakfast Saturdays and Sundays, I pay) and take out (Pressed Cafe and Panera).

Unless you live on a farm, I have no idea how you spend so little. My wife and I probably spend ~$100/week.

Can you post a sample menu for one of your $150 weeks?
1 day sloppy joes with fries, green bean hamburger 3 lbs $6, fries $3.33 green beans $.5

1 day spaghetti with bread hamburger$6, spaghetti $1, garlic bread $3

1 day meatloaf, fries baked beans. Hamburger $6.  Baked beans$1

1 day hamburger gravy mashed potatoes, corn. Hamburger 3lbs $6, gravy $1.60, potato $3 corn 2 cans $1

1 day cheese burger fries baked beans. 3lbs $6, fries baked beans  $3 lbs hamburger $6, cheese slices $3,  fries $ $3.33,  baked beans $1

1 day lasagna 3 lbs meat $6 lasagna $2 cheese $5  

1 day little ceasars 1 cheese 1 pepperoni.  $5, $5.

Lunch is usually left overs or ravioli, spaghettios,or ham sandwich.  Breakfast is Pop tart or cereals.

For two people I could eat out 2x per week at Texas Roadhouse and still be under a $100 for the week.  Are you eating Filet mignon every night of the week?  What's your meals like?  I'm really curious to know how you are spending so much for two people?

Last edited by a moderator:
1 day sloppy joes with fries, green bean hamburger 3 lbs $6, fries $3.33 green beans $.5

1 day hamburger gravy mashed potatoes, corn. Hamburger 3lbs $6, gravy $1.60, potato $3 corn 2 cans $1

1 day cheese burger fries baked beans. 3lbs $6, fries baked beans  $3 lbs hamburger $6, cheese slices $3,  fries $ $3.33,  baked beans $1

Lunch is usually left overs or ravioli, spaghettios,or ham sandwich.  Breakfast is Pop tart or cereals.

For two people I could eat out 2x per week at Texas Roadhouse and still be under a $100 for the week.  Are you eating Filet mignon every night of the week?  What's your meals like?  I'm really curious to know how you are spending so much for two people?
We shop mostly at Whole Foods and Costco, eating primarily organic produce and fish - salmon, barramundi and sometimes ahi. Nut milk products instead of dairy. I didn’t include eating out, but we probably average another $100/week between middle of the road and nice restaurants.

And we live in HI, which I suspect has much higher grocery prices than OH. I looked up ground beef, and it’s $6-9/lb at the local grocery store. Cow’s milk is $6.39/gallon.

But your diet is very similar to what I ate growing up. 

That does not surprise me.   I actually think that it's easier to control food costs for larger groups than it is for one or two people.   There are bulk stores like costco and smart and final where you can get price breaks for buying in bulk. Also many grocery stores out here will run promotions that are based on volume (mix and match 10 promotional items and you get them at a discounted rate..etc).   Even standard grocery stores have meat pre-packed in family pack portions and offer those at a discounted rate per pound.   With that said--I do think that it is possible for a single person to eat well for $5-6 a day if the person is disciplined in their shopping and picks and chooses their groceries wisely.  

That is an all-american diet right there.   What is that about 15 lbs of chop meat per week?

I dig it. That there is a man that knows how to grocery budget. 

NutterButter said:
That is an all-american diet right there.   What is that about 15 lbs of chop meat per week?
my family of 4 doesn't eat what i'd call a great diet but holy ####, it's a lot cleaner than that.  

i'd like to know what cut of meat he's picking up that costs $6 for 3lbs.  is that chopped ######?

That’s stealing. 
Not at self check out. The store can always suspend him without pay. For the cashier job. That they don't pay him for in the first place.

I've had things rung up incorrectly by the professional cashiers that are being paid to do the job.

Ground chuck around here is usually 2.59 to 2.99, every once in a while the local grocery store marks it up to 3.99 and puts it on BOGO sale.

Ground chuck around here is usually 2.59 to 2.99, every once in a while the local grocery store marks it up to 3.99 and puts it on BOGO sale.
just checked my local store. on sale for $2.99/lb. this week. down from the normal $4.99 for the 80/20 ground chuck.

just checked my local store. on sale for $2.99/lb. this week. down from the normal $4.99 for the 80/20 ground chuck.
Yeah, I was assuming chopped meat guy is regularly getting a custom 60/40 Walmart mix at his prices.  

Not at self check out. The store can always suspend him without pay. For the cashier job. That they don't pay him for in the first place.

I've had things rung up incorrectly by the professional cashiers that are being paid to do the job.
Maybe I'm missing something. My understanding is that 1) cashews and almonds are listed at >$1.49/lbs.; and 2) Major is putting the nuts inside the jelly bean bags/using jelly bean scale and price. He then proceeds to carry a bag of purported jelly beans to self check-out and checks them out as if they were jelly beans when in reality his bag containers the higher priced nuts.

Am I misunderstanding?

my family of 4 doesn't eat what i'd call a great diet but holy ####, it's a lot cleaner than that.  

i'd like to know what cut of meat he's picking up that costs $6 for 3lbs.  is that chopped ######?
I usually wait until ground beef/ or chuck goes on sale 80/20 for less than $2 than I fill the freezer. 

Holy crap where do you live?  That's crazy.  How much to bucher a half a cow? /Lb?  Might wanna check into that it is cheaper.

Just got back from Costco. 2 weeks groceries $170. And I didn’t get any fish, plus still need to pick up a few more items at Whole Foods or Safeway.

one way we cut down on weekly costs is by subscribing to a meat service. They fill a chest freezer with 6 months of vacuumed sealed meat and other things like chicken breast, nuggets, fish fillets, bacon, etc. IDK what the actual price is for that, but we pay it monthly and then just have to shop for the other items and such. IDK how much it saves me money, but it saves me regular trips to the store—grabbing 1 steak here or a pack of chicken breasts—and that cuts down on time and those extra purchases you make when you are there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
one way we cut down on weekly costs is by subscribing to a meat service. They fill a chest freezer with 6 months of vacuumed sealed meat and other tings like chicken breast, nuggets, fish fillets, bacon, etc. IDK what the actual price is for that, but we pay it monthly and then just have to shop for the other items and such. IDK how much it saves me money, but it saves me regular trips to the store—grabbing 1 steak here or a pack of chicken breasts—and that cuts down on time and those extra purchases you make when you are there. 
heh ...meat service ...heh, heh

Users who are viewing this thread