What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home exercise equipment (1 Viewer)

rascal

Footballguy
Looking to buy something to get my fat ### into shape.  I have bad knees and back, so low impact is necessary.

I was looking at ellipticals, but all of the reviews look horrible.

Looking to spend less than $1k.

I have a Sole brand elliptical that have probably had for about five years.  I was just on it last night; no issues. 

It depends on how bad your back is.  But I have a compressed vertebra, a herniated disc, and a hip replacement and I can use this.  

Yellow Kettlebell

Spend half your budget on good instruction and then buy one for home.  Youtube Pavel Tsatsouline for some ideas. 
I second kettlebells.

I also highly recommend the proper instruction. I went through the certification program with Pavel back around '04. It was well worth it.

Looking to buy something to get my fat ### into shape.  I have bad knees and back, so low impact is necessary.

I was looking at ellipticals, but all of the reviews look horrible.

Looking to spend less than $1k.

There have been a few studies that show that high impact is better for the knees, jogging in particular.

It depends on how bad your back is.  But I have a compressed vertebra, a herniated disc, and a hip replacement and I can use this.  

Yellow Kettlebell

Spend half your budget on good instruction and then buy one for home.  Youtube Pavel Tsatsouline for some ideas. 
:goodposting:

Kettlebells + https://www.amazon.com/Skogg-System-Disc-Kettlebell-Program/dp/B075FFZQJV

The moves can get a little repetitive after some time, but there is no denying that it works.  It is strength + cardio all in one workout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a cyclist, I'll suggest a spin bike.  I got one of the one's you find in a spin class for $700 used.   I'd go the used route for something like that b/c that level of spin bike is built like a tank and there's really not much going on in terms of moving parts and there's no electronics.  

Being a cyclist, I'll suggest a spin bike.  I got one of the one's you find in a spin class for $700 used.   I'd go the used route for something like that b/c that level of spin bike is built like a tank and there's really not much going on in terms of moving parts and there's no electronics.  
:goodposting:  I second this

I got an even cheaper one used for about $300.  Plenty solid without electronics, so it is going to last forever (especially when you consider it does nothing but collect dust).

I highly recommend DDP Yoga (program by former wrestler Diamond Dallas Page).  I've had a bad back for years, nothing worked even Chiropractor didn't help and DDPY essentially fixed it. Went from limping out of bed in the morning to no pain, and lost some weight in the process. 

You can buy DVDs or use the App like I do but it's not terribly expensive either way. Its just a matter of whether you want a one time payment for a set number of workouts or a monthly payment with more features/workouts.

I never would have thought Id be doing Yoga in a million years but hey... gotta do what I gotta do.

Edit to add: They always have sales on holidays so wait til Black Friday if you sign up

I highly recommend DDP Yoga (program by former wrestler Diamond Dallas Page).  I've had a bad back for years, nothing worked even Chiropractor didn't help and DDPY essentially fixed it. Went from limping out of bed in the morning to no pain, and lost some weight in the process. 

You can buy DVDs or use the App like I do but it's not terribly expensive either way. Its just a matter of whether you want a one time payment for a set number of workouts or a monthly payment with more features/workouts.

I never would have thought Id be doing Yoga in a million years but hey... gotta do what I gotta do.

Edit to add: They always have sales on holidays so wait til Black Friday if you sign up
BLACKFRIDAY30 is currently the code - did you get the APP or DVS?

BLACKFRIDAY30 is currently the code - did you get the APP or DVS?
I use the app... the benefits of the app are you get more workouts (usually they record live workouts and upload them), theres a points system that keeps you engaged and gives you rewards like T-Shirts and stuff.  It also has videos (cooking tips and recipes, motivational mondays, etc) and its easier to log workouts. You can also pair a heart monitor with it which helps keep you in the "zone" (theres a heartrate range they want you to be in for max benefit/safety) 

I like the APP because our DVD player is in the family room and its a pain to work out there so I can just throw it on my ipad wherever I am.

The DVDs are good too but obviously they're not updated and you have to keep track of the workouts yourself. They're more $ up front but its a one time payment so thats always good.

I believe there is a free trial if you want to give it a shot.  Also - the app is cheaper if you pay for a year up front (the monthly payment on the backend is like $8 when its over).

I think a lot of those in home machines (Bowflex, The Gazelle, etc)  are generally a waste of money and will become an unused eye sore in your home.   Better to buy things like kettle bells, dumbbells, medicine/inflatable balls, yoga mat, etc and make your own gym for a fraction of the price.  Lots of great instruction videos online for free.  Go outside for cardio or just jump rope/jumping jacks.   

I'd do the elliptical because of the low impact. Make sure you have a set up where you can watch some TV when you're on it, otherwise it will probably suck. Not sure if you can get one for under 1k as I really have no clue what they cost, maybe try to find one on Craigslist.

"Getting in shape" and "losing weight" aren't necessarily the same thing.  Losing weight is 70% diet, 30% light exercise.  

Eating a plant based diet and doing some light exercise(walking around the neighborhood 3-4 times a week for instance) will drop weight in a healthy way.  

If you really put in the effort and go serious(book Eat to Live by Joel Furmann) you will lose dramatic weight pretty quickly.

If you want to 'get in shape', buy a total gym(and eat a plant based diet).

Rowing is great and you can get one for relatively cheap to see if you dig it before investing in a really expensive one

KiddLattimer said:

Can you go around dropping diamond cutters on folks?

I have a few questions that I will just put in here.  I have a son who is 13, tall/big for his age, and wants to get stronger and add a bit of endurance for basketball.  During the spring he walks to the local rec center to shoot hoops after school, but they don't allow anybody to use the weight room or weight machines until they are 14, so I thought about adding a couple items at the house to help out with this for him and hopefully something I can do since I am getting way too out of shape.  So a couple questions:

What are a couple good things for him that he can do at home and preferably on the cheap?

What is the rage with Kettle Bells - how does it differ from any other dumbbell/weight training option out there? 

I have a few questions that I will just put in here.  I have a son who is 13, tall/big for his age, and wants to get stronger and add a bit of endurance for basketball.  During the spring he walks to the local rec center to shoot hoops after school, but they don't allow anybody to use the weight room or weight machines until they are 14, so I thought about adding a couple items at the house to help out with this for him and hopefully something I can do since I am getting way too out of shape.  So a couple questions:

What are a couple good things for him that he can do at home and preferably on the cheap?

What is the rage with Kettle Bells - how does it differ from any other dumbbell/weight training option out there? 
Mine is 14 and we had the same problem with being able to use gyms.  I bit the bullet and got some free weights for the basement.  Basically just doing squats, bench, deadlifts, shoulder press and rows.  

You can get a bench and weights off of facebook marketplace for dirt cheap.     People are just giving this stuff a way.   Exercise equipment seems to be one of those things that you never buy new as there's so many people that buy this stuff thinking they'll actually use it and never do.   

You can get a bench and weights off of facebook marketplace for dirt cheap.     People are just giving this stuff a way.   Exercise equipment seems to be one of those things that you never buy new as there's so many people that buy this stuff thinking they'll actually use it and never do.   
Is this something to do, or something like kettle bells/video the way to go?    Honestly don't know what to suggest with him to not push it too much or get him sore/injured during the season.  

I joked with him that we need to look into some yoga as well to keep him stretched out.  

Right now at the house rotting around we have:

Weight bench/weights

I think I have the lesser version of P90x (Power 90 or something?)

Probably a yoga dvd or two.   

Treadmill that he lost the key to, so we currently can't use it.  I tried a generic key, but it didn't work, so if anybody has a suggestion  here, that would be awesome.  

I’ll add another recommendation for kettlebells. For low impact home exercise to strengthen your back and improve overall fitness you’d be hard pressed to find something better 

Push-ups, pull-ups, planks, and other body weight exercises should be enough. And some kind of cardiovascular exercise like running or cycling. If he’s gonna lift weights, keep it light until he stops growing.

People like kettlebells because they recruit a lot of accessory/stabilizing muscles, are portable and useful for a wide variety of whole body and “functional” exercises - stuff that more closely imitates the motion/stability needed for athletic performance and overall strength.

Kettlebells aren’t magic, but they burn a ####load of calories and provide a good mix of cardio and strength training. I do kettlebell swings on with interval timer in the mornings sometimes. It gets my heart rate up fast and has me gasping for air at the end. I’m still amazed at how much it improves my cardio. Also hits the upper legs and back as well. For building muscle or pure cardio, you could find something better, but kettlebells provide a good blend between the two in a fast, intense workout that I think a lot of people are looking for.

Kettlebells aren’t magic, but they burn a ####load of calories and provide a good mix of cardio and strength training. I do kettlebell swings on with interval timer in the mornings sometimes. It gets my heart rate up fast and has me gasping for air at the end. I’m still amazed at how much it improves my cardio. Also hits the upper legs and back as well. For building muscle or pure cardio, you could find something better, but kettlebells provide a good blend between the two in a fast, intense workout that I think a lot of people are looking for.
Thanks - I assume that would be something good for him, since some of what he needs is lower body/core work so he is not pushed around for rebounds and while posting up?  

I’ll add another recommendation for kettlebells. For low impact home exercise to strengthen your back and improve overall fitness you’d be hard pressed to find something better 
My concern is that i have three herniated discs in my lower back and I'm afraid to do anything where i might put any stress on it.

Is this something to do, or something like kettle bells/video the way to go?    Honestly don't know what to suggest with him to not push it too much or get him sore/injured during the season.  

I joked with him that we need to look into some yoga as well to keep him stretched out.  

Right now at the house rotting around we have:

Weight bench/weights

I think I have the lesser version of P90x (Power 90 or something?)

Probably a yoga dvd or two.   

Treadmill that he lost the key to, so we currently can't use it.  I tried a generic key, but it didn't work, so if anybody has a suggestion  here, that would be awesome.  
I think you're fine to start lifting at that age from what I recall.   Just start slow with some light weight and good form like anyone else and just go from there.  If you personally don't know what good form looks like on bench press, military press, squats, etc, just youtube it and instruct him.  Compared to the 40/50 year olds in this thread just starting out, there's almost no chance of him getting injured.   

Users who are viewing this thread