What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mason Rudolph’s apology (1 Viewer)

whole-show

Footballguy
Ok so I keep seeing Mason’s apology over and over again and from the second I saw it I didn’t like it for many reasons. Also I thought it was terrible how he was obviously reading off of a script he was given. So sharks how do you all feel about it? I hadn’t seen this posted and figured it would be a good discussion just please keep it cool as Joe would say. Also if it was posted already I’m sorry and please delete.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't like Rudolph's reaction in the heat of the moment because the QB position is cerebral and I want my QB to keep his composure under all circumstances and Mason fell short of that bar last Thursday.  Regarding the apology - meh. He did mention the loss of composure idea which I thought was good, but reading from a note/script was lame.

However, Mason has ZERO responsibility regarding Garrett losing his cool and smashing a helmet onto his head.  Rudolph acted inappropriately, Miles went nuclear.

I dont mind that he had a statement. It was so ho-hum that I dont think it was prepared for him. He is very unlikable as mentioned above. To ke it seemed like he said something to put the questions from the media to bed, and to try and salvage his image

He is weak and this will be taken care of on the field until he unceremoniously is asked not to return again. 

CertInly a ‘what-if’...but I’d be intrigued at the aftermath, if Garrett had simply ripped the helmet off Rudolph’s head and tossed it aside.

I didn't like Rudolph's reaction in the heat of the moment because the QB position is cerebral and I want my QB to keep his composure under all circumstances and Mason fell short of that bar last Thursday.  Regarding the apology - meh. He did mention the loss of composure idea which I thought was good, but reading from a note/script was lame.

However, Mason has ZERO responsibility regarding Garrett losing his cool and smashing a helmet onto his head.  Rudolph acted inappropriately, Miles went nuclear.
agreed. it was meh. 

let’s all put on our big boy pants and move on.  

He is weak and this will be taken care of on the field until he unceremoniously is asked not to return again. 
Taken care of on the field? You're joking right? So getting bashed in your skull isn't quite enough, especially when they were just tussling on the ground. You really shouldn't post anymore, that's a ridiculous thing to say.

Agreed.  The people, here and elsewhere, who are focused more on Rudolph because "he started it" rather than Garrett ought to be ashamed of themselves.  Yeah, Rudolph lost his cool there for a few seconds, but Garrett is the one who went nuclear by bashing an opponent (not wearing a helmet) over the head with a helmet.  If his suspension ends up being just the last 6 games this season, he should consider himself lucky. 

Taken care of on the field? You're joking right? So getting bashed in your skull isn't quite enough, especially when they were just tussling on the ground. You really shouldn't post anymore, that's a ridiculous thing to say.
I get how you read that and why, but it completely missed the mark in what I'm referring to. Rudolph is pillow soft and 30 other teams throughout the league saw that happen. The Browns were in his head all night and it was evident in his play late in that game. The end of game meltdown was just window dressing. The Bungles may be bad enough for it not to matter, but I think you're going to see a very clear objective with every team's approach to this team as long as he is under center - don't let the defense beat you, get in Mason's head, then watch him crumble under the pressure.

I get how you read that and why, but it completely missed the mark in what I'm referring to. Rudolph is pillow soft and 30 other teams throughout the league saw that happen. The Browns were in his head all night and it was evident in his play late in that game. The end of game meltdown was just window dressing. The Bungles may be bad enough for it not to matter, but I think you're going to see a very clear objective with every team's approach to this team as long as he is under center - don't let the defense beat you, get in Mason's head, then watch him crumble under the pressure.
My apologies, I misunderstood your reference. I thought you were saying for someone to go after him. But I agree with the other assessment,  he isn't nfl material at all.

I liked the way he originally called Garrett's behavior cowardly because it was, but I don't really think much of the apology. I don't have a problem with him as a person, he seems fine to me. Aside from that, I don't see him being a starting QB in the NFL at any point in his career. 

Yes he's a crap QB and I think he would have been better off saying nothing.  My guess is the NFL or team made him say it as part of his penalty.

But you guys are rough.  What was he supposed to say to make you happy?  If you can answer that and prove to this board that there was something better he could have said, I'll change my opinion.

Until then, it's nothing more than a meaningless and boring statement by a bottom tier QB.

Do it once, I can believe the statement.  Do it repeatedly and I can't (see Myles Garrett).

CertInly a ‘what-if’...but I’d be intrigued at the aftermath, if Garrett had simply ripped the helmet off Rudolph’s head and tossed it aside.
Then there would be nothing which is what happens every other time someone's helmet gets ripped off.  It would have been just a normal skirmish and if any punches thrown then ejections and moving on.  No long term suspensions and just a normal skirmish. 

He makes statements like he plays QB.  Very poorly. 

I don't really care, I just think he's bad and I am tired of seeing his puke level play on the field. I especially hate that it's ruining our ability to scout Dionte and Juju fully, and ruining their fantasy seasons with garbage QB play. 

I think it is very likely that the Browns are gonna want to inflict punishment on Rudolph when they play again. They lost their superstar on defense for the rest of the year and probably more because of this clown. They are a team that seems to be trending up but this will be a huge loss. I think Rudolph is in major danger of bodily injury when they play again which is why I have a feeling he won't be playing that game. I predict he doesn't play that weak unless the Steelers no longer care about his future.

All of the passing game options on your team deserve an apology too. 

Except the RBs... Captain dumpoff

I think it is very likely that the Browns are gonna want to inflict punishment on Rudolph when they play again. They lost their superstar on defense for the rest of the year and probably more because of this clown. They are a team that seems to be trending up but this will be a huge loss. I think Rudolph is in major danger of bodily injury when they play again which is why I have a feeling he won't be playing that game. I predict he doesn't play that weak unless the Steelers no longer care about his future.
While Rudolph definitely had a role in this, Garrett is suspended for the ROY and may be longer because of his own dumb actions.

Then there would be nothing which is what happens every other time someone's helmet gets ripped off.  It would have been just a normal skirmish and if any punches thrown then ejections and moving on.  No long term suspensions and just a normal skirmish. 
I was more alluding to the fact that Rudolph was terribly exposed as a non-NFL caliber QB.  The CLE might have been the worst game we’ve seen a QB play this year.  At the end of it, he instigated a fight with a man who could likely break him in half in a back alley.  Yet, because of the helmet swing...it seems to have been glossed over entirely.

Garrett crossed a line, but when was the last time you saw an NFL QB do this?  It’s fair to say, that the Steelers are without Pouncey for three games because of Rudolph.

Boohoohoo.  Honestly I think Rudolph is awful as a QB but he didn’t cost the Browns anything.  The hot head Garrett cost the Browns.

Didnt like him before being a right winger, like him even less now after his inability to offer anything of substance even when scripted 

I think (hope?) they're more grown up than this.
Some are. Some aren't. Isn't any different than any other fanbase. Every fanbase has some idiots and some that only see what's happening through rose colored glasses. Thinking otherwise is just naive.

He was talking about the Browns players (not the fans)
(I think) you're right - my bad. 

The Browns made it very clear what they thought about Myles' action in real time. Not saying anyone said otherwise, but if they did...or if someone is thinking about it - don't. It'd be make believe.

Re Mason? I'd rather no one talk about it right now. Focus on Miami. I'd also rather no one talk about it next week. Don't give them even more ammo to fire themselves up. I'd rather they take that energy, harness it, then unleash it from 1-4 that afternoon. And if they want to take a couple jabs at him afterwards about him being soft, go right ahead. Not til then though. And whatever you do to him on the field - keep it between the lines. There's a right way to do this and I hope the players choose that path.

I don't know about being in his head but one thing IS for sure, the Browns were in the Steelers backfield and in Rudolph's face all night and no QB likes that.   You should be well aware of it after watching Mayfield's performance under pressure all season.

I don't know about being in his head but one thing IS for sure, the Browns were in the Steelers backfield and in Rudolph's face all night and no QB likes that.   You should be well aware of it after watching Mayfield's performance under pressure all season.
Mayfield did not handle pressure well early in the season. That changed sometime after the debacle in San Francisco. What's happened since then is much more in line with what he showed last year. Of course no quarterback likes pressure, but it's reality in this league. How are you going to handle it? Baker's made corrections and has consistently shown that the last several weeks. Mason? Not so much. As bad as things got with Baker early in the season it was never anything like that, so that comparison strikes me as a real silly one.

Mayfield did not handle pressure well early in the season. That changed sometime after the debacle in San Francisco. What's happened since then is much more in line with what he showed last year. Of course no quarterback likes pressure, but it's reality in this league. How are you going to handle it? Baker's made corrections and has consistently shown that the last several weeks. Mason? Not so much. As bad as things got with Baker early in the season it was never anything like that, so that comparison strikes me as a real silly one.
All I am saying is that Rudolph was under extreme pressure all game and that had a lot to do with his performance.  I am not a mind-reader so I have no idea if the Browns "got into his head" or not.   I was just referencing Mayfield because the games where I saw him under a lot of pressure he played poorly.   I am not saying Rudolph is better than Mayfield nor am I even saying that Rudolph is any good at all.

None of this is any revolutionary information:  QBs do a lot better when they have time to throw and Rudolph didn't have much and played like crap.  It also didn't help having no running game and losing his #1 and #2  WRs that were knocked out of the game by helmet-to-helmet hits.  By the second half the Steelers offense looked the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

All I am saying is that Rudolph was under extreme pressure all game and that had a lot to do with his performance.  I am not a mind-reader so I have no idea if the Browns "got into his head" or not.   I was just referencing Mayfield because the games where I saw him under a lot of pressure he played poorly.   I am not saying Rudolph is better than Mayfield nor am I even saying that Rudolph is any good at all.

None of this is any revolutionary information:  QBs do a lot better when they have time to throw and Rudolph didn't have much and played like crap.  It also didn't help having no running game and losing his #1 and #2  WRs that were knocked out of the game by helmet-to-helmet hits.  By the second half the Steelers offense looked the 4th quarter of a preseason game.
QB included

Nothing anyone says will change my mind about what unfortunately transpired last week. Actions speak louder than words. Don't tell me; show me.
So he pushed a guy in his helmet?  And after his helmet got removed he objected?  OK.   SOrry that bothers you.   I saw a lot worse on the playgrounds of Suitland as a 5 year old.  

I was more alluding to the fact that Rudolph was terribly exposed as a non-NFL caliber QB.  The CLE might have been the worst game we’ve seen a QB play this year.  At the end of it, he instigated a fight with a man who could likely break him in half in a back alley.  Yet, because of the helmet swing...it seems to have been glossed over entirely.

Garrett crossed a line, but when was the last time you saw an NFL QB do this?  It’s fair to say, that the Steelers are without Pouncey for three games because of Rudolph.
I am fascinated by the perspective that Rudolph instigated this.  as I watched it I saw Rudolph dump the ball off in a meaningless play that could not have possibly effected the game in the waning seconds.  The game, a disappointing game for Rudolph, no doubt, was all but over.  Garret, having seen the pass, or at least looking right at it continued on to Rudolph.  He needlessly wrapped him up and then he wrestled him to the ground, swinging him side to side to get him down. A more needless hit on the Q.B. I cannot recall.  (Correction, I do recall some clown launching over the line and whacking a Q.B. lined up in victory formation, maybe a college game, maybe Rutgers?  That was about the equivalent of this as the Steelers had already waived the white flag and the hit was unnecessary in the extreme.  that hit, even while not savage, was provocative as it was uncalled for.)To me that was the instigation here.  Those that say Rudolph instigated this by his response once on the ground seem, to me, to be picking a very strange start point for the incident.  Still, that opinion or impression does seem a bit more prevalent than I would ever have imagined.  

QB included
Agreed.  He might suck but that doesn't make him soft as was implied or weak as was stated. 

If Browns fans want to make Rudolph the target of their Steelers hate they can go for it but it is very possible he never starts another game for the team beyond this season.

I am fascinated by the perspective that Rudolph instigated this.  as I watched it I saw Rudolph dump the ball off in a meaningless play that could not have possibly effected the game in the waning seconds.  The game, a disappointing game for Rudolph, no doubt, was all but over.  Garret, having seen the pass, or at least looking right at it continued on to Rudolph.  He needlessly wrapped him up and then he wrestled him to the ground, swinging him side to side to get him down. A more needless hit on the Q.B. I cannot recall.  To me that was the instigation here.  Those that say Rudolph instigated this by his response once on the ground seem, to me, to be picking a very strange start point for the incident.  Still, that opinion or impression does seem a bit more prevalent than I would ever have imagined.  
I agree with this.  The guy was thrown to the ground and Garrett was on top of him.  He was trying to get Garrett off him.  Garrett then proceeded to lift Rudolph off the ground by the helmet which eventually came off.  Rudolph's actions while on the great were very typical of many QB's when a DL is pinning him down unnecessarily. 

So he pushed a guy in his helmet?  And after his helmet got removed he objected?  OK.   SOrry that bothers you.   I saw a lot worse on the playgrounds of Suitland as a 5 year old.  
I'm referring to all of them. Not just Mason. 

If Mason weren't charmin does all of that happen? Of course not. He is though - and all of their actions that followed were inexcusable. It's not necessarily one or the other, it can be both.

Agreed.  He might suck but that doesn't make him soft as was implied or weak as was stated. 

If Browns fans want to make Rudolph the target of their Steelers hate they can go for it but it is very possible he never starts another game for the team beyond this season.
I've been thinking of other words but FBG gives them the ### treatment.

I am fascinated by the perspective that Rudolph instigated this.  as I watched it I saw Rudolph dump the ball off in a meaningless play that could not have possibly effected the game in the waning seconds.  The game, a disappointing game for Rudolph, no doubt, was all but over.  Garret, having seen the pass, or at least looking right at it continued on to Rudolph.  He needlessly wrapped him up and then he wrestled him to the ground, swinging him side to side to get him down. A more needless hit on the Q.B. I cannot recall.  To me that was the instigation here.  Those that say Rudolph instigated this by his response once on the ground seem, to me, to be picking a very strange start point for the incident.  Still, that opinion or impression does seem a bit more prevalent than I would ever have imagined.  
Looking at it frame by frame, I believe it was Samuels the pass was thrown to.  He could not have been more than 5 yards away (laterally).  When you freeze the moment that Rudolph is first in Garrett’s grasp, the ball is halfway to Samuels.  And Rudolph’s pass wasn’t of the ‘wind up and fire’ variety.  More of a ‘quick and in an instant shovel’.  From my perspective QB’s get hit like that plenty of times - no flags are thrown.  And we can all agree they are a protected species.

So from my POV, I saw nothing wrong with the play itself.  As such, would the melee have escalated had Rudolph not started grabbing Garrett’s helmet?  Probably not...

I don’t have a dog in the fight. Garrett got what was coming to him...he shouldn’t have come close to being baited by such a meek adversary.   But Rudolph took exception to what I perceived to be a regular football play.

I don't think most people think enough of him to care and frankly I am surprised that you're so bent out of shape over him.
Fair, but I'm not bent out of shape over him. As I said in my first post in this thread I don't think he's long for the league. If he is remembered for anything it will be due to this incident. Otherwise he'll be just one of the many terrible and forgotten quarterbacks that came before him. I just think what happened Thursday will expedite that exit. Not just what happened at the end of the game or during - all of it. There are worse backup quarterbacks that have lasted in the league, but mental makeup is the priority. He doesn't have it and that was obvious before showing up to read a prepared statement.

Users who are viewing this thread