What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Band, Concert and Tour T-Shirts - Now with homework assignment (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
In the UK, Friday is t-shirt day as promoted by BBC Radio where listeners are encouraged to wear their favorite band shirts to work.  We're not that civilized yet so I'll do a thread instead.

I have too many band shirts and Mrs. Eephus has a lot more than I do.  Merch sales are vitally important to touring musicians nowadays so for me, it's become as much about supporting the artist as it is about flying the flag.

The first one I ever bought was this Pink Floyd shirt at the first concert I went to as a teenager.  At $500 for a vintage one, I'll pass on the nostalgia.   My most recent one is for Strand of Oaks because I liked the ravens on it.  I don't know if I have a favorite but when I went to a band shirt themed party last year, I wore one like this to rep obscure LA powerpop band Tsar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got 2 original (more or less) Joy Division shirts. They are coveted. I bought a Starfish (album cover) shirt when I saw the Church back in April. I’m seeing New Order in Miami early next year and will be buying at least one shirt if not more.

I've had tons of them but unfortunately none have lasted and I wasn't smart enough or nostalgic enough to hang onto them.

My first was from my first real concert, Rush (I know, I know) Power Windows tour. My favorite was from the Bowie, Glass Spider tour.

I still miss my Greg Kihn Band 3/4 sleeve baseball-style concert t-shirt from his 1982 tour opening for Rick Springfield. 

I'm generally not a big fan of shirts that have all the tour dates printed on the back but if I'm standing in line behind someone wearing one, I'll always check out where the nearest show was.

I have a shirt from Argentine ska band Los Fabulosos Cadillacs that misspelled San Francisco with two s's and one c.  It looks similar to this one but the band's name is printed on top instead of Calavera.

My M C Hammer one is the oldest one I still have.  Technically, I could wear it, but I'd look like a stuffed sausage.

Please Don't Hurt Em

I think I bought one that said Bocephus, the old 70's long sleeves that are black, white shirt, had a picture of Hank with the hat on in black and white.  Saw him and Alabama when I was in middle school.

a Metalica, a metalica/GnR/Faith No More one, 2 or 3 Tori Amos, I think 2 Garbage.  Have seen a few other bands including  DMB a few times and Tool a few times and never bought a shirt.

No idea what happened to my first concert t from my first concert- queen, tour 80'...it was pretty great- iirc, had the banks of lights with the band in front.

Also had a joy division unknown pleasures album cover t that I bought in London around 84'. No idea what happened to that either.

Wanted to get an IDLES t from their recent tour supporting joy as an act of resistance, but was too high to manage. So a total doosh baggy finance guy in the hood wearing one the week after the show with his driving mocassins. Made me stabby.

shirts in current rotation

1) Def Leppard - Pyromania (vintage remake) 

2) Bob Seger - most recent tour 

3) Fleetwood Mac - most recent tour 

4) Chromeo - 4 years old 

5) the Strokes - original tour 

6) Waylon Jennings - (remake)

Side question, I’ve seen Elton John three times but can never pull the trigger on a shirt....anybody else have that experience?

Have some band shirts, but in the late 90’s and early 2000’s you’d see me wearing this hat pretty much all winter and sometimes the other seasons.

I will try to get a pic of it uploaded, but my favorite recent one is my Radiohead (big shock, I know..) shirt from the 2018 tour.  I loved the design, but also loved that it was just for the Chicago show and had that date on it instead of the usual list of stops on the back of the shirt.  I assume that each stop had that design but with the specific city on it??

I’ve been to a lot of concerts over the years...didn’t buy a Tour T-shirt at any of them.
But at least you were supporting the band in some way. T-shirts off their website also works for those who can't see their live concert.

Makes me feel less guilty for downloading their music for free.

HERE is the shirt I was talking about above.  I liked the design, but mostly the simplicity of having the single date on the bottom of the shirt.  

i regretedly sold all mine on ebay in college to get money.  i'm definitely going to make sure my kids keep all their concert tickets and t shirts

Robin Trower 85, Black Crowes, Stones Voodoo Lounge, Stevie Ray Vaughn an a later Who shirt are my rock...many Blues Buddy Guy, BB King, EC, and Kilborn Alley Blues Band are some notable and some Blues Festival shirts. 

I used to buy them at every show I went to. Had the glass spider one, a Deep purple, a pink Floyd one, csn, Arlo. I don’t really go to concerts anymore but I do get shirts when I go to shows. Current rotation includes come from away, hades town and Hamilton. 

I had been saving some real old ones.  I gave my 1982 Who shirt and 1981 Tom Petty shirt to my niece's boyfriend, who is a really amazing guitarist. My niece dumped him shortly thereafter.  I should have kept the shirts.

I had been saving some real old ones.  I gave my 1982 Who shirt and 1981 Tom Petty shirt to my niece's boyfriend, who is a really amazing guitarist. My niece dumped him shortly thereafter.  I should have kept the shirts.
He was only hanging around for the cool t-shirts.

Since I'm not going anywhere, I've decided to wear a different band shirt every day.  It's no substitute for the days of the week but at least it forces me to change clothes every day.  You can play along at home. :thumbup:

Today it's a Gomez shirt from around 2005.  For day one of this project, I probably should have chosen something more colorful.

I'll need to take pictures of all the concert Ts I've saved over the years -- originals from Springsteen's Born in the USA tour, Jackson 5's Victory Tour, Bob Seeger from 1980, multiple ACDC concert Ts, and even one from the Who's final show of their second farewell tour in 1989.

That 82 show was the Who's first farewell tour -- was too young to go but my older brother went to their last show of that tour.

I almost never bought concert gear.  Two exceptions:

1. Have the full on might as well be worn by George on Seinfeld 90’s felt ripped baseball cap from the Monterrey Jazz Festival around 1992-4 forget just which. 

2. My only T Shirt is from Aerosmith’s 1994 Get A Grip European Tour - saw them in Tel Aviv at an awesome outdoor amphitheater type venue. 

My first shirt was the 1982 The Who American tour baseball-tee. Man, I loved that thing. Not a bad first concert. The Clash opening for the Who at Shea Stadium.

It's insane was concert shirts go for these days.

My first shirt was the 1982 The Who American tour baseball-tee. Man, I loved that thing. Not a bad first concert. The Clash opening for the Who at Shea Stadium.

It's insane was concert shirts go for these days.
Did you get that painters cap type thing from the show too? I was super jealous of all the kids who went (in SF) and came in the next Monday wearing those.

Did you get that painters cap type thing from the show too? I was super jealous of all the kids who went (in SF) and came in the next Monday wearing those.
I don't remember a painter's cap to be honest.  I was 15 at the time with barely enough money for the shirt, so I wouldn't have been able to buy anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread