What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Xmas Gifts for Bosses (1 Viewer)

My group (12 of us) always pitch in and get something. Myself & one other guy contribute zero $. 
I’m trying to be in the Christmas spirit and all but this is a weird practice. I get a white elephant or something that everyone does but straight up buying the management a present is odd. 

In past years when we were getting holiday bonuses, we usually did something (small office).  I can't remember all of the gifts but a gift basket one year was a hit that we put together.  It had a couple bottles of wine we knew they liked, some crackers/cookies, etc.

I’m trying to be in the Christmas spirit and all but this is a weird practice. I get a white elephant or something that everyone does but straight up buying the management a present is odd. 
Right.  I feel like this is one step below getting a gift for our Glorious Leader, Who Descended From Heaven, peace be unto him.

In past years when we were getting holiday bonuses, we usually did something (small office).  I can't remember all of the gifts but a gift basket one year was a hit that we put together.  It had a couple bottles of wine we knew they liked, some crackers/cookies, etc.
This makes more sense or feels more genuine if the boss is directly responsible for the bonuses (like it’s their business).

If it’s some middle manager in a larger company it falls back into the brown nosing category for me.

I’ll pitch in, in my situation it just feels a bit weird. Management is fine, the company does well so everything is good. They aren’t exactly all buddy buddy either....and zero gifts come back our way - would it kill you to pick up a Starbucks card after these gifts have been given to you a couple years in a row.

One of the co-workers is into this for whatever reason so fine.

I do love this time of year, things slow down in my line of work, people are taking vacation. Cookies everywhere.

Usually around Christmas you can find those little $3 ice molds in the shape of a football at Walmart.   Grab one of those, and a bottle of whiskey and any boss is taken care of

Usually around Christmas you can find those little $3 ice molds in the shape of a football at Walmart.   Grab one of those, and a bottle of whiskey and any boss is taken care of
But why?  Bosses should buy gifts for employees, not the other way around.  The thought behind the gift is "I'm getting you this small token of appreciation because you helped me make more money than you do."   Buying someone a gift who makes more money than you and tells you what to do is just weird.  Like, dictatorship level weird.

But why?  Bosses should buy gifts for employees, not the other way around.  The thought behind the gift is "I'm getting you this small token of appreciation because you helped me make more money than you do."   Buying someone a gift who makes more money than you and tells you what to do is just weird.  Like, dictatorship level weird.
My thoughts as well.  I will get my team something but not get my boss a gift.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where my head is at on this.

If anything a group white elephant or people bring in some stuff for the whole group to enjoy.

For me it's not about spending money on someone who makes more than me.  I like my boss, I have a good relationship with him, he helps me out when I need it, helps shield us from the "corporate BS" that gets pushed down onto us, and maybe most importantly he stays out of my hair when I don't need him and trusts me to do my job.  I've had much worse bosses than him which makes me appreciate having the one I have.   The thought behind my gift is "here's something to say I enjoyed working with/for you the past year".  I bought him a $45 bottle of whiskey, he bought me a ~$100 box of Omaha steaks delivered to my house in dry ice packaging.  I don't feel obligated to get him a gift, but knowing he's a whiskey guy I opted for a gift because I like the guy.  Yeah he happens to be my boss and makes more money than me but who cares.  We're on the same team.

Edit:  There's 8 of us on the team, he bought everyone a box of steaks, not just me. 

For me it's not about spending money on someone who makes more than me.  I like my boss, I have a good relationship with him, he helps me out when I need it, helps shield us from the "corporate BS" that gets pushed down onto us, and maybe most importantly he stays out of my hair when I don't need him and trusts me to do my job.  I've had much worse bosses than him which makes me appreciate having the one I have.   The thought behind my gift is "here's something to say I enjoyed working with/for you the past year".  I bought him a $45 bottle of whiskey, he bought me a ~$100 box of Omaha steaks delivered to my house in dry ice packaging.  I don't feel obligated to get him a gift, but knowing he's a whiskey guy I opted for a gift because I like the guy.  Yeah he happens to be my boss and makes more money than me but who cares.  We're on the same team.
I think there are always exceptions and I think your case is one of them.  I think if you are on a different level with your boss that's almost a friendship, then I get it.  But when this questions was asked, I think most people aren't thinking that scenario.  I think most people are thinking about their idiot/jerk boss.

I think there are always exceptions and I think your case is one of them.  I think if you are on a different level with your boss that's almost a friendship, then I get it.  But when this questions was asked, I think most people aren't thinking that scenario.  I think most people are thinking about their idiot/jerk boss.
Idiot/jerk bosses get nothing, agreed.  I've worked in cubicle farms with bosses who I only interacted with on strictly a task-based level, and wouldn't have ever considered buying them a gift.  One year one of the secretaries passed an envelope collecting donations from everyone hoping to gather enough to get the boss some big gift, a miter saw or something IIRC.  Among 30 people I think she collected maybe $50 total.  That one felt weird, why the heck should we all chip in to get the boss something when we didn't get anything?  Screw that...

Nope.   Since we're in the season, I'm thankful that no one at works gets me a gift b/c then I'd be obligated to get them one.   Now I just need to focus on having the same happen for a few of my relatives and I'll be in the ideal gift giving state where only kids get gifts. 

My boss makes less money than me, has for  years, and makes sure I know it.

I get everyone on my team a small gift card (like $10) to somewhere they like.  I get a gift every year from my boss that's usually something electronic (Bose wireless earbuds last year) as we're in IT.  He makes the company pay for the gifts he buys us though, mine come out of my pocket.

In neither situation does the boss get a gift in return.

This seems like blatant brown nosery. If anything it should be the other way around. 
my current boss buys us all gifts. seems like she spends somewhere between $20 - $30 each. 

team expanded by about 40% this year so we'll see if the tradition carries on. 

but it is nice to get something instead of being expected to pool with others to buy for the boss.

in the old department i was in there were a couple ladies who passed the hat for every occasion & whom expected donations of $10 or more. one of my first years here they managed to buy some $500 statue for our boss. there were less than 20 of us in the office then and not everyone contributed.  

the two ladies decided that would be the gift and tried forcing everyone to kick in a fair share to cover the cost. i didn't give any money and i know a couple others who also did not. the ladies got really mad about it and refused to speak to me because of it :thumbup:

my current boss buys us all gifts. seems like she spends somewhere between $20 - $30 each. 

team expanded by about 40% this year so we'll see if the tradition carries on. 

but it is nice to get something instead of being expected to pool with others to buy for the boss.

in the old department i was in there were a couple ladies who passed the hat for every occasion & whom expected donations of $10 or more. one of my first years here they managed to buy some $500 statue for our boss. there were less than 20 of us in the office then and not everyone contributed.  

the two ladies decided that would be the gift and tried forcing everyone to kick in a fair share to cover the cost. i didn't give any money and i know a couple others who also did not. the ladies got really mad about it and refused to speak to me because of it :thumbup:
Opposite of Christmas spirit and blatant brown nosery!

Idiot/jerk bosses get nothing, agreed.  I've worked in cubicle farms with bosses who I only interacted with on strictly a task-based level, and wouldn't have ever considered buying them a gift.  One year one of the secretaries passed an envelope collecting donations from everyone hoping to gather enough to get the boss some big gift, a miter saw or something IIRC.  Among 30 people I think she collected maybe $50 total.  That one felt weird, why the heck should we all chip in to get the boss something when we didn't get anything?  Screw that...
Jerk bosses get nothing. Idiot bosses get something if they don't hinder  me too much with their inabilities.

Liquor, food or gift cards are the norm. One of my favorite gifts that I've received was a gold tie tack. 

I've always given staff members a Christmas gift of some kind, but I've never received one from any of them and I'd think it was weird.   

Back when I worked for a firm, I never got anything for the partners above me, although once we all chipped in and bought my boss one of those bobbleheads that they make from a photograph of someone.   

Huge no-no at my workplace. We get the email sometime in October that it is strictly forbidden.
This honestly seems like something that would have happen at my workplace. It wouldn't be enforced if you wanted to do it but it would remove these random "let's put some money together" to do this.

What does this mean?  Religious silliness typo or is this a play on words I don't get?  Xmax?
I actually missed the typo and took it as Xmas.  In today's world though, many catholics/christians will get upset if you say "Xmas" instead of "Christmas".

Also, you're better off just saying "Happy Holidays' instead of "Merry Christmas" in the corporate world unless you know the person well. 

imo

I actually missed the typo and took it as Xmas.  In today's world though, many catholics/christians will get upset if you say "Xmas" instead of "Christmas".

Also, you're better off just saying "Happy Holidays' instead of "Merry Christmas" in the corporate world unless you know the person well. 

imo
Did not know that.   Need to get some of my relatives a "Keep X in Xmas" magnet.   Easier to just stick to your normal greeting unless its in response to someone else saying something.   You say Christmas, I say Christmas.  You say holidays, I say holidays.   

Users who are viewing this thread