What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (2 Viewers)

1.1 seems like the easiest decision ever for me. 
Not Barkley/Elliot your grandma could not screw up 1.1 kind of easy but other then those two as easy a 1.1 as I've ever seen. For me anyway but I'd be willing to bet I was as high or higher on on him predraft then anyone else, landing spot and draft pedigree was just some really unbelievable icing on the cake.

If he had gone to Tampa in round 2, he'd still have been my 1.1. This was better.

So I'm 95% sure 1.01 drafts Taylor, which I have to admit I'm a little disappointed as I have come around to him as my predraft rb1... but CEH is a no brainer, right? I should thank my stars here?

Considering chances are pretty good I get Dobbins also... and then both of my rookie RBs are tied to the 2 best young qbs in the nfl for at least 4 years... 

Idk why I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be...
because its not a slam dunk a la Zeke/Saquon, and on top of that the virus/lockdown and the rookies IMO will be the #2 in the RBBC to start the year for sure.

However the talent rises. Clyde while he don't have great straight line speed, makes the first dude miss, almost every time, can catch and has a cheat code at QB, he will have to dea l with Damien at least this season.

Mack is JAG, take Taylor at #2 and don't look back. 

The Dynasty Blueprint podcast has a couple of episodes where they discuss CEH extensively. One episode (208) is dedicated to him entirely and Episode 209 has Waldman on talking about the RSP. In both they talk about his pass protection being an issue. They also emphasize that he’s the best route runner at RB since McCaffrey. So some positives and negatives. This was all pre NFL draft.  I’m still on him for 1.1 bc I trust KC’s evaluation. But they’re worth a listen for fellow overanalyzers. 

yes that's the podcast that confused the heck out of me. imo they were a bit negative on him, but they did mention what would happen if KC drafted him. it was a good listen nonetheless and offers both positives and negatives. 
In .5ppr do you have CEH as the first RB taken or JT?

Honestly right now I'm leaning JT in any PPR format. And I'm probably wrong. A lot of it has to do with where I had CEH predraft (RB4). Taylor went to my #2 landing spot, and was my RB1. So it's really close. 
You summed up my internal struggle. I never would have imagined the Chiefs going RB in the first which has just thrown me for a loop. Had CEH at #3 behind Taylor and Dobbins predraft. Now with Taylor going to a great spot, Dobbins going to a good spot, and CEH landing in his perfect spot.....my brain is about to explode.  

5'8" and 210 pounds is not small.
I agree and that is a non-issue for me. His height makes it hard for defenders to keep track of him and his lateral agility makes hit difficult to get a clean hit on. My biggest questions are his pass pro and only one good year of production on a record setting offense. His vision, lateral agility, and route running are his biggest strengths IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
yes that's the podcast that confused the heck out of me. imo they were a bit negative on him, but they did mention what would happen if KC drafted him. it was a good listen nonetheless and offers both positives and negatives. 
Yeah, the episode dedicated entirely to him was a bit odd. They start off sky high on him, and the start dinging him on pass protection and size. They also conflated the two, saying his wingspan would always limit him in pass protection. I'm not going to pretend to understand the intricacies of RB pass blocking but that seemed like overthinking - and I overthink everything.

But then when the discussion of landing spots came up, they said if he went to KC he would skyrocket, and they were imagining that happening in late round 2.It was funny to listen to with knowledge of his draft capital and landing spot. 

I have the 1.1 and 1.2 picks in one of my 12 team PPR dynasty leagues. I'm taking Clyde and Taylor without hesitation. Oh, and my team is stacked, I traded for both picks  :bowtie:

I have the 1.1 and 1.2 picks in one of my 12 team PPR dynasty leagues. I'm taking Clyde and Taylor without hesitation. Oh, and my team is stacked, I traded for both picks  :bowtie:
That's my plan with the 1/2 as well.

Since my team is NOT stacked, however, I hope I can pry away whoever takes Lamb for him plus extra with one of them. Unfortunately, I've found that Zealots leaguers don't trade often enough. It's kind of boring, actually.

If I can't trade, I'm happy to be "stuck" with these two. 

They also conflated the two, saying his wingspan would always limit him in pass protection. I'm not going to pretend to understand the intricacies of RB pass blocking but that seemed like overthinking - and I overthink everything.
I'm not an expert on pass blocking either but to me it would seem wingspan is really only important for an OT where a guy could try and speed rush around the corner and the OT would need to keep him corralled/contained. When a RB is pass blocking  it's usually not until the defender is right up on him and then it comes down to willingness, strength, balance and squaring him up.

Love me some CEH. I see him as a souped-up Darren Sproles. He’s slippery, shifty and always gets more yards than you’d expect. 

I'm not an expert on passing blocking but to me it would seem wingspan is really only important for an OT where a guy could try and speed rush around the corner and the OT would need to keep him corralled/contained. When a RB is pass blocking  it's usually not until the defender is right up on him and then it comes down to willingness, strength, balance and squaring him up.
Recognition too. But yeah this makes sense. Rbs are rarely engaging guys where length and hand to hand technique matter. Guys like Gore and Zeke look like they can barely lift their arms above their heads but are top rbs for pass blocking.

Dr. Octopus said:
I'm not an expert on pass blocking either but to me it would seem wingspan is really only important for an OT where a guy could try and speed rush around the corner and the OT would need to keep him corralled/contained. When a RB is pass blocking  it's usually not until the defender is right up on him and then it comes down to willingness, strength, balance and squaring him up.
My thoughts too. They compared RB wingspans in this class and said CEH’s short arms meant pass rushers would get their hands on him first before he got his hands on them. NFL DEs are often a lot taller/longer than RBs so where would this not be the case? And like you say RBs aren’t engaging and locking up with rushers the way that linemen/TEs are. I mean, maybe Christian Okoye did?

ETA: you know we’re sports starved when the discussion of RB wingspans gets going. 

My thoughts too. They compared RB wingspans in this class and said CEH’s short arms meant pass rushers would get their hands on him first before he got his hands on them. NFL DEs are often a lot taller/longer than RBs so where would this not be the case? And like you say RBs aren’t engaging and locking up with rushers the way that linemen/TEs are. I mean, maybe Christian Okoye did?
Exactly. That analysis is worthless. 

ffmail4me said:
I have the 1/2 also and I am also stacked.  I plan to offer both picks to the McCaffrey owner when 1.01 is on the clock.

Exactly. That analysis is worthless. 
He's not gonna be blocking DE's.  He'll be picking up LB and S blitzes.  Imagine getting a facefull of Isaiah Simmon's stiffarm while he's swinging right past you into Mahomes' grill.

He's not gonna be blocking DE's.  He'll be picking up LB and S blitzes.  Imagine getting a facefull of Isaiah Simmon's stiffarm while he's swinging right past you into Mahomes' grill.
Yeah but that would be the case with most RBs - even LBers are generally bigger than most RBs.

Lots of PPR specific thoughts in this thread and, in general, I'm seeing people in many articles underappreciating JT's hands and also underappreciating CEH's running ability. They both landed in ideal spots for their talents.

In non-PPR for those favoring CEH, do you still favor him there or is that your tie breaker?

I've got the 1.02 but knowing the guy in front of me, he'll do something odd and I'll be left choosing between the two of them.

Lots of PPR specific thoughts in this thread and, in general, I'm seeing people in many articles underappreciating JT's hands and also underappreciating CEH's running ability. They both landed in ideal spots for their talents.

In non-PPR for those favoring CEH, do you still favor him there or is that your tie breaker?

I've got the 1.02 but knowing the guy in front of me, he'll do something odd and I'll be left choosing between the two of them.
I'm in ppr and took CEH at 1 without much thought. In non-ppr, which I don't play in I'd view it as a toss up.

Ok. Linebackers are often taller/longer than RBs then? 

It’s fun to think of Isaiah Simmons facing a 6’7” Tackle on one snap, then the 5’7” Clyde on the next

I have the 1/2 also and I am also stacked.  I plan to offer both picks to the McCaffrey owner when 1.01 is on the clock.
In the leagues I don't own CMC, he seems untradeable, and I have some stacked teams where I could offer 3 studs, only to be turned down. Good luck! 

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Damien Williams will remain the starter, but first-round rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire will "compete for playing time."

“I certainly think it’s going to be a shared load,” Veach said. “Damien has been in this offense for a long time and certainly has shown what he can do on that playoff run. The guy’s a really good pass protector [and] can catch the football. I mean, both these guys can run and catch and certainly Damien will come in as the starting running back and Clyde will have to come in here and compete for playing time, which we think he’ll do. But I think it will be a one-two punch.” No matter how Veach feels, the fact is Williams hasn't handled more than 111 carries and 30 catches at any point in his six-year career. The Fresh Prince of Helaire is fully expected to handle Kansas City's third-down role while Williams splits early down carries, and that workload isn't projected to change barring an immense breakout for either during the league's hypothetical preseason. It's very clear both will share touches unless an injury separates the two mid-year.

RELATED: 

Damien Williams

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

May 1, 2020, 12:01 AM ET

I was thinking I might get him at 1.02 in a rookie draft. I was okay with it, as he has a high floor. Ultimately I got Taylor, so I was surprised and excited for that scenario. I see him as a James White type back, which isn't bad, but I think his ceiling is MUCH lower than people think it is. The hype is out of control. FantasyPros mock draft podcast the guy was saying that CEH 1.01 is as easy as Barkley at 1.01. I highly disagree with that.

You can't be mad getting him at 1.02, and I understand drafting him at 1.01. He is the least likely of the RBs in this draft to bust, IMO, so he is a relatively safe pick at 1.01. I just see him with a lower ceiling than many (although if the situation changes for him, his hyped ceiling is possible). 
What's his hyped ceiling. It's amazing how people bring up "hype" that doesn't really exist. Of course in this thread people are excited about him, but I have not seen any outlandish predictions at all - in fact I haven't seen much as far as numbers being thrown around. People are calling him the 1.01 pick but what is illogical about that? I don't see that as hype, I see that as an educated choice.

Basically a (to some) very talented back landed in one of the better landing spots. A spot that turned a recent rookie into a fantasy star and a JAG into a very servicable fantasy starter. His HC and QB seem to be very excited about his prospects. Is he bust proof? No, but I think it's more than fair to say he has a high ceiling. Now Hunt may have been a hidden gem but it wasn't like he was a top draft prospect and the same team that used a third round draft pick on him used a first round draft pick on CEH. That should tell us that they think he's the better prospect - time will tell if that turns out to be the case.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday where the host was just gushing over CEH, calling him as easy as a 1.01 as Saquon, and a RB that is going to be in the RB1 conversation within 2 or 3 years.
Easy 1.1 for me but hard to get easier then Elliot and Barkley so I'm not going there but  I do believe he'll be in mix for the RB1 as soon as next season.

Most of the excitement surrounding him that I’ve heard/read from dynasty folks seems focused on Reid’s history with RBs who have similar skill sets to CEH. If there is a common comparison that might (loosely) fall into the neighborhood of “hype” I think it’s Westbrook. That’s a different kind of rarefied air from Barkley-level 1.1 (I agree he isn’t that kind of prospect). It’s also a good reminder that our excitement shouldn’t be reserved for “generational” or prototype prospects. 

Most of the excitement surrounding him that I’ve heard/read from dynasty folks seems focused on Reid’s history with RBs who have similar skill sets to CEH. If there is a common comparison that might (loosely) fall into the neighborhood of “hype” I think it’s Westbrook. That’s a different kind of rarefied air from Barkley-level 1.1 (I agree he isn’t that kind of prospect). It’s also a good reminder that our excitement shouldn’t be reserved for “generational” or prototype prospects. 
Reid's history with ANY back is really impressive.  Tough to argue against it, he has a lot of data points.

Reid's history with ANY back is really impressive.  Tough to argue against it, he has a lot of data points.
Now Andy gets a run at a guy with a body type like his.

Okay, okay. I'll be checking in here quite frequently because I passed on him, traded the 1.01 down, and I'm realizing the return might not have what everyone else would have chose. But it means I don't have to cheer for a fire hydrant out there (nobody can tackle one of those, either) for four years, so it's a net-net wash I think.

Yours in frustration,

rockaction.

DW will probably still get significant touches in 2020....they love him and he is a great fit for this offense as he has shown....CEH ‘s ROI should be in 2021 when DW becomes a FA....although he is such a good fit they may look to resign at a discount if they can get it since CEH will be on a rookie contract for awhile.....and why reinvent the wheel you can bring back a good fit at a decent price...DW would be the perfect backup.....might be some slight disappointment for those expecting immediate elite returns...

Who is your 1.01
 Not sure....I don't play dynasty....and i’m not the sharpest tool in the shed....but if I have a chance to snag the guy KC picked in the first round in the draft (when they have other areas they could have addressed with that pick)...and he is with a Mahomes/Reid offense for the foreseeable future....I might lean to going all in on that ####......its not like they won’t be scoring fantasy points.....KC has  shown they recognize talent (Hunt)....too bad that didn’t work  out or he would have been in the convo with. CMAC/BARK/ELLIOT/KAMARA for awhile and we never would have known about Dwilly....

sometimes I think people overthink things and don’t realize when something is just smacking them in the face...

if you question his skills....fine....thats what you do when you over analyze  between # 1 and #2 and #3 .....

if i did play dynasty....I would want to maximize potential red zone opportunities for the short shelf life that my RB will have....

not sure why this is even a debate.....DW will keep him from having a huge rookie year....but after that....its game on....

Clyde Edwards-Helaire - RB

Posted 5/06/2020 9:27 am CDT

Kansas City Chiefs first-round pick RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire's ability in the receiving game is what the team felt made him stand out from the rest of the backs in the draft. 'I was on the same team as (Washington Redskins RB) Derrius Guice in high school ... so I had to find a different way to get on the field,' Edwards-Helaire said. They wanted me to get on the field so I started playing slot receiver, and I kind of hopped back and forth from slot to the backfield in a two-back set, so ultimately it was just kind of something that was part of my DNA.'

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread