What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1917 - The Movie (1 Viewer)

wikkidpissah said:
Sam Mendes is the right kind of director for this - equal talents for human-scale & movie-scale directing. The only two riveting WW1 flicks i can think of both had HOF-quality directors -Kubrick (Paths of Glory) & Weir (Gallipoli)
La Grande Illusion :nerd:

ETA:  At least this keeps Mendes from making another 007 movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard the movie is made to look like it is all one shot. I don't know if that sounds riveting or exhausting.

I am glad this thread was started. Either this or The Irishman are likely winning Best Picture. 1917 had an early screening in NY this weekend and all reports back are that this thing is a masterpiece that must be seen in the theater. 

Saw it last night.

Hadn't heard about the continuous take thing and found myself in awe of it ...trying to figure how they managed it. (Only a couple clear breaks for standard editing that I recall). I'll look at that link upthread.

It was good to very good. Puts you right there on the mission with the protagonists, so you felt a bit of trench warfare and urban ww1 action as well.

It has some contrivances that jumped out at me (plot, action, lighting), but not enough to spoil a good ride. Should of course be seen in a theater...or at least in one of your mega home theaters.

Saw it tonight. It was absolutely amazing. The continuous take was astounding. No idea where they did the cuts because there had to be some. I could only make out about 3. I'm sure the pan aways and close-ups of certain things were cuts but man. This movie was flawless. 

Definitely worth seeing.

Saw it last night.

Hadn't heard about the continuous take thing and found myself in awe of it ...trying to figure how they managed it. (Only a couple clear breaks for standard editing that I recall). I'll look at that link upthread.

It was good to very good. Puts you right there on the mission with the protagonists, so you felt a bit of trench warfare and urban ww1 action as well.

It has some contrivances that jumped out at me (plot, action, lighting), but not enough to spoil a good ride. Should of course be seen in a theater...or at least in one of your mega home theaters.
Yeah it has some weaknesses but the way it is filmed is so mind blowing that they distract from the flaws. 

That you're there with them in their real time is incredible (conceptually and technically). That you also get what that war must have felt like is also incredible. It doesn't quite hit the heights/intensity of the storming the beach scenes from Private Ryan, but that you never leave their sides adds an impressive place in film history.

The film work was fantastic.  The movie itself wasn’t that good imo. I didn’t care about the actors, it didn’t draw me in and frankly was boring. 

The film work was fantastic.  The movie itself wasn’t that good imo. I didn’t care about the actors, it didn’t draw me in and frankly was boring. 
To each their own then. I was very invested in the 2 leads and found the action compelling from start till finish.

The common critiquing of this movie so far is it's technical brilliance vs lackluster emotional connection to the characters. 

I'll probably like it because I usually disagree with critics.

The common critiquing of this movie so far is it's technical brilliance vs lackluster emotional connection to the characters. 

I'll probably like it because I usually disagree with critics.
I think it's an apt criticism. We don't learn or know too much about the leads (could argue that one of them shows more personality than the other)...it's more about going for a cool ride along.

I think it's an apt criticism. We don't learn or know too much about the leads (could argue that one of them shows more personality than the other)...it's more about going for a cool ride along.
Agree, it’s technically so amazing that the lack of characters, story, etc. doesn’t matter but it does make it a bit of a flawed movie. I would say Dunkirk is a good barometer. If you liked Dunkirk, you will likely enjoy 1917. If you felt Dunkirk don’t do enough character development or have enough dialogue than 1917 might not be for you.

Is it one of those movies where is makes you motion sick? 
It's one long take, not a handheld cameraphone.

Eta...so no. Not at all. Unless you're insanely prone to motion sickness.

Ilov80s said:
Agree, it’s technically so amazing that the lack of characters, story, etc. doesn’t matter but it does make it a bit of a flawed movie. I would say Dunkirk is a good barometer. If you liked Dunkirk, you will likely enjoy 1917. If you felt Dunkirk don’t do enough character development or have enough dialogue than 1917 might not be for you.
Dunkirk review

was amazing how they showed the one soldier go completely white and then cyanotic in his friends arms as he slowly died. Amazingly shocking. Never have seen that dramatized in that fashion before. Didn’t see that coming.[\spoiler]

Fantasy story incredible film. 

Saw this weekend.  Amazing film achievement.  The first 30 minutes or so (until the farmhouse) my whole body was tense. 

Saw it in a Dolby theater.  Looked amazing.

Saw it last night - fantastic.

Has another movie been shot like that? In one continuous scene?

Tommen as the side kick in the beginning and then Rob Stark as the brother at the end.

Saw it last night - fantastic.

Has another movie been shot like that? In one continuous scene?

Tommen as the side kick in the beginning and then Rob Stark as the brother at the end.
As Don stated above, Rope was done that way, but it was done in one room. Every 10 minutes or so, the camera would pan to someone's a closeup and film would be changed out of the camera and it would keep moving. They continuously moved walls and furniture out of the way while filming. It was quite an achievement. And it was an awesome movie.

I saw it yesterday and also loved it.

I'll have to disagree with those saying there was little to no character development.  I found myself quite attached to the lead characters and thought there was plenty of character growth over the course of the film, unlike with Dunkirk (a movie I also loved).

And someone asked about motion sickness.  I am very sensitive to that on the large screen with hand held/shaky films and only felt minimally nauseous by the end of this one. I'd rate it 🤮

No where near Blair Witch level nausea, which is the gold standard for me: 🤮🤮 🤮 🤮🤮

I saw it yesterday and also loved it.

I'll have to disagree with those saying there was little to no character development.  I found myself quite attached to the lead characters and thought there was plenty of character growth over the course of the film, unlike with Dunkirk (a movie I also loved).

And someone asked about motion sickness.  I am very sensitive to that on the large screen with hand held/shaky films and only felt minimally nauseous by the end of this one. I'd rate it 🤮

No where near Blair Witch level nausea, which is the gold standard for me: 🤮🤮 🤮 🤮🤮
I felt like we got know tommen pretty well. Less so his partner 

I don't remember blair witch messing me up- Cloverfield, otoh, I needed Dramamine...and I don't get motion sick.

Users who are viewing this thread