What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you tired of FF? (1 Viewer)

How many FF teams will you have next season compared to this season?

• More than this season.

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Same as this season.

Votes: 109 63.4%
  • Less than this season.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I am probably just stopping all together.

Votes: 15 8.7%

• Total voters

Ratbone

Footballguy
I have been doing FF for 25 years. I think I am stopping after this season. There are many reasons, but I feel like after talking to some friends that seems to be the general direction of many of them. So where are you in terms of how many teams you will be doing going forward? Are you thinking of stopping? Or just as excited as ever? Thanks 

I've been questioning why I do it.  I'm down to 3 leagues and it's beginning to feel like more of a chore than a passion.  I just don't care as much.  I'm also watching a lot less NFL as I've made more of an effort to be productive on Sundays with exercise, home improvement, and family stuff.  Perhaps that comes from being a Jets fan too. 

I have a league that started in 1985.  It has mostly the same owners (probably 2/3 of the league is the same).  It's stagnant but still an opportunity to see old friends every year and give some bragging rights.  I don't think that ever goes away. 

Leagues do get stagnant and need some infusion of excitement from time to time.  It's hard to get things to change though in those old type leagues.  People are too set in their ways. 

Overall it is still entertaining but in some aspects is dull.  I won't stop though. 

I've played a lot less daily this year than years past because of newborn twins, but I'm in a dynasty, and two redrafts and have been enjoying it all still as a break from the diapers. I haven't seen many 4pm EST games though.

I have a league that started in 1985.  It has mostly the same owners (probably 2/3 of the league is the same).  It's stagnant but still an opportunity to see old friends every year and give some bragging rights.  I don't think that ever goes away. 

Leagues do get stagnant and need some infusion of excitement from time to time.  It's hard to get things to change though in those old type leagues.  People are too set in their ways. 

Overall it is still entertaining but in some aspects is dull.  I won't stop though. 
This is where I am. I have a 23 year league and a work league. I’m in both more to keep in touch with those guys rather than because I find them a lot of fun.

I feel like the internet and all of the fantasy resources and “experts” out there actually changed the game to making it much more random and luck based. Everybody has access to all of the same info already broke up into packages, rankings, news bits, etc. In the old days, yeah you could get magazines, but they’d quickly be outdated and didn’t give you easy comparisons across positions, didn’t update you throughout the season, etc. If you put in more work, did your own analysis, and understood VBD, you could give yourself a huge advantage. Guys who just grabbed a magazine and winged it had little shot.

Now, everyone has essentially the same info at their fingertips and it comes down to simply who gets lucky on a few guys that vastly over perform their preseason ranking and who has better injury luck. IMO, if you play in a league with even half competent owners, it’s extremely difficult to consistently be the best no matter how much time and effort you put in (excepting deep dynasty or IDP leagues with deep starting lineups).

Been playing since ‘99 and enjoy it just as much.   A big reason for this could be my main league has been running since then and many in the league have been in it since the start.  We still do a live draft (auction) and it’s my favorite day of the year.  

This is where I am. I have a 23 year league and a work league. I’m in both more to keep in touch with those guys rather than because I find them a lot of fun.

I feel like the internet and all of the fantasy resources and “experts” out there actually changed the game to making it much more random and luck based. Everybody has access to all of the same info already broke up into packages, rankings, news bits, etc. In the old days, yeah you could get magazines, but they’d quickly be outdated and didn’t give you easy comparisons across positions, didn’t update you throughout the season, etc. If you put in more work, did your own analysis, and understood VBD, you could give yourself a huge advantage. Guys who just grabbed a magazine and winged it had little shot.

Now, everyone has essentially the same info at their fingertips and it comes down to simply who gets lucky on a few guys that vastly over perform their preseason ranking and who has better injury luck. IMO, if you play in a league with even half competent owners, it’s extremely difficult to consistently be the best no matter how much time and effort you put in (excepting deep dynasty or IDP leagues with deep starting lineups).
Which makes the casual work leagues fun, because there's a mix of unintelligent, and sharks.  It feels like the older days when you were in a competitive league but everyone didn't have access to the same data.  I'm in a casual, short bench work league, where the commish loves parody, we have shallow lineups, 8 teams make the playoffs.  I routinely make the playoffs but once I get there it's all luck on who can win 3 games with a shallow, stud filled lineup in a 12 team league.  That is the most annoying but, at least points for champion gets a good chunk.

Im considering just doing daily. Many reasons why. I am ending every league I commish and am not doing any redrafts next year. May keep a dynasty but I doubt it. Fantasy football isnt the same as even just 5 years ago. You can still love it, but to act as if the game is the same is just not true. When people who dont check in until Sunday morning are dominating, you know there are no advantages. 

Last edited by a moderator:
At one point I was in a ridiculous number of leagues and began slowly closing down a few years ago and I stayed in one that has been together for over 20 years now and we are all friends in real life so it keeps us together and I'm not giving that up right now. 

I do think you need an "Off Season" but when this place began it felt like the off season was when the real work began.  I have found that I already have a lot of football knowledge as do a lot of others in here but we are likely less than 500 strong now in a country of 400 Million, you're sharper than the avg bar patron or NFL fan. But you need to unplug from the frivolous articles that cloud your brain from rational thoughts. Shut off the HYPE articles.  

I am thinking about possibly entering some more leagues next year such as the one FBG sponsors which I played the first 3 or 4 years it launched, FFPC is it called? There's lots of them but it's really playing the lottery, you can't really get a huge advantage most of the time, everyone knows you gotta load up on RBs early or you'll be frozen out, by the time the 3rd round starts, it feels like you're picking at a carcass at RB or trying to draft a guy 4 rounds before you really should have to. 

You must unplug and not buy into the 365 day news cycle the NFL runs...remember the Myles Garrett incident? I ask because for such a "barbaric" act, you would think people might tune out but instead we get the highest rated football game (DAL-NE) in almost 12 years...let's be honest people crave violence and if here was a chance to see someone bashed over the head with a helmet, a lot of people would tune in, it's just the way humans/animals are programmed. 

I still like our league but we've had a few guys drop out a couple of years ago.   I still don't understand why they dropped out because we are all friends, the buy in is only $100 and it is not a whole lot of work to submit a lineup.  Even if I hated it I would still do it just to be in with everyone else.

I'm tired of the way Disney which owns ABC and ESPN controls and dictates how the NFL is enjoyed and viewed. I can go in 100 different directions here but they have brought way too much emotion and estrogen into a sport that is by it's nature a brutal sport and they want so desperately to emasculate the NFL and it's fan base to shame them into rethinking the very sport they grew up on and loved. 

I that GD Mouse!!!

Dropped down to a single league years ago, only to be drawn back into another 

considering going back to one 

Been playing for 20 years and EVERY year around this time I tell myself "this is it.  gotta quit after this year."  In my case, the reason is ME.  I am TOO invested in it.  Looking for any edge I can find and that typically means watching ALOT of football.  And then I hate myself for how unproductive my Sundays are.  Problem is that I do enjoy the reading, prepping, line-up decisions, trading, etc.  It's a nice distraction from my 50 hour work week and frequent business travel.  Indeed, am a little afraid that without it I'll read MORE about politics and that will leave me depressed.  I think I need to spend some time in the off season figuring out my next hobby because I need something to fill the time, but I also don't want to watch 20+ hours of football per week.

I plan on retiring from FF the second I fall over dead on my keyboard, but if it's during the season my wife will collect my championship cash :)

I'm tired of watching horrible coaching where they think subbing out the #1 RB for the #2 RB or #3 RB is going to fool the other team. I'm even more tired of gawd awful officiating where flags are thrown for hitting or tackling a guy.

I'll be in the same dynasty and redraft leagues next year...#####ing about it again. Probably even #####ing about the flags around the QBs waist.

I generally have gone into fantasy retirement. I no longer actively participate in any leagues requiring weekly roster submittals. I only do a couple of leagues that are more contests than actual leagues. Just don't have the drive / desire / interest / time that I used to. And honestly, I don't miss it (which seems counter intuitive because I still post all the time).

A few years ago I whittled my leagues down to one longstanding league (~15 years old) and have been fine with that. I get asked to join other leagues every year and always decline, though it's tempting. But one league that is very competitive but friendly is perfect. The charm of the NFL has definitely worn off a bit.

This is my 18th year of playing fantasy football.  I would say my enjoyment is actually on the rise.  I've reached a zen moment with it all - I'm more focused on the process than the outcome.  No more getting upset about points against or coin-flip decisions that didn't pan out.  I accept that that's part of the game.  I only really get upset when my thought process is out of whack.

I usually wait until halftime of the early Sunday games to take a first look at my matchups.  Helps to enjoy the watching of football as opposed to obsessing over the two dozen players or so I'm starting.

For the two leagues I am the commissioner of, I write a weekly recap that is meant to be fun and not super serious, while still analyzing the games and the trends in the league.  Helps keep everybody involved and brings in the history of the league to make people feel invested in it.

Overall, this may sound trite, but if you let fantasy football be fun...it is fun.

For transparency, my teams are:

• 7-5, 5th place of 12 after a 5-0 start
  • 7-4-1, 2nd place of 8 but 6th in points
  • 5-7, 6th place of 8 and a good team in my head at least...

GroveDiesel said:

Well said. Even online drafts have up to date rankings for each position, so anyone can do zero research and draft a good team using the site rankings. 

To answer the question, my excitement for FF has been plummeting the last few years and is about to bottom out. It’s not much fun anymore, even when doing well  

fun topic. I am finding the groups are more tiring than the sport. it's hard to find good players engaged into the league. One league the guy had 150 teams. 

One start up had guys who were either obnoxious or unreasonable. It wasnt a good fit for me. I didn't realize the commish would make decisions/rule changes without league input. 

Another league is hard to get anyone to respond to emails. 

So that's the fatigue I have. Luckily my two main dynasties are pretty good, so I'll stick to those and am looking to start my own (so the only guy I can blame for poor owners is myself- so if you have interest let me know!)

This is my 18th year of playing fantasy football.  I would say my enjoyment is actually on the rise.  I've reached a zen moment with it all - I'm more focused on the process than the outcome.  No more getting upset about points against or coin-flip decisions that didn't pan out.  I accept that that's part of the game.  I only really get upset when my thought process is out of whack.

I usually wait until halftime of the early Sunday games to take a first look at my matchups.  Helps to enjoy the watching of football as opposed to obsessing over the two dozen players or so I'm starting.

For the two leagues I am the commissioner of, I write a weekly recap that is meant to be fun and not super serious, while still analyzing the games and the trends in the league.  Helps keep everybody involved and brings in the history of the league to make people feel invested in it.

Overall, this may sound trite, but if you let fantasy football be fun...it is fun.

For transparency, my teams are:

• 7-5, 5th place of 12 after a 5-0 start
  • 7-4-1, 2nd place of 8 but 6th in points
  • 5-7, 6th place of 8 and a good team in my head at least...
I do this as well, I have Bills season tickets, I try to piece together off the scoreboard stats if my guys around the league are having good days and then if they are I'll check around 4, if they aren't I check before the night game. It's helped a bunch.  When the Bills are away, I check around halftime of the first game.

I'm actually having a really good year, it just means I'll be bowing out of the playoffs early when someone grabs the next Peyton Hilis or Drew Bennett.

For me the effort’s not worth the reward. I do well, only play dynasty. A few 32 teamers, $250 a team so the pots are a decent size. But even that isn’t enough for the time I put in, I can’t do anything half ####. If I ever did another start up it would have to be a large buy in to make it worthwhile. 

fun topic. I am finding the groups are more tiring than the sport. it's hard to find good players engaged into the league. One league the guy had 150 teams. 

One start up had guys who were either obnoxious or unreasonable. It wasnt a good fit for me. I didn't realize the commish would make decisions/rule changes without league input. 

So that's the fatigue I have. Luckily my two main dynasties are pretty good, so I'll stick to those and am looking to start my own (so the only guy I can blame for poor owners is myself- so if you have interest let me know!)
This is a good point, I've had so much success in a casual redraft league that there's teams that just refuse to trade or even counter, let alone decline an offer it'll sit there.  It basically only allows me to work with the same 3-4 owners a year on trades. Trading is the fun part for me based on redrafts and dynasty, in my redrafts everyone jokes that 75% of my roster will be different after draft day and they are normally right, even higher.  If I can't find trade partners to even entertain offers it becomes very boring for me.

I've never been the guy to draft my team, love it and then only make waiver moves.

The reasons you listed (and more) have made me very thankful I'm in 3 leagues total, and I know every person in all 3......all redraft, 2 of which are long running, live drafts....the other is a work league.  I have zero interest anymore, doing leagues online, with strangers.

Only play in one league, but it's a deep keeper league with a bunch of friends (going on 25 years) so I'll probably never stop.

That said, it's definitely become more frustrating over the years due to, as others have said, the plethora of information out there and luck basically being the primary driver of one's success. 

I avoided burn-out a few years ago by choosing to believe there is a "delta" of sorts when it comes to time/effort invested and results. I was in way past that "delta" and it wasn't working for me on any level.

I've been playing since '94. I've always had just one team each year. Got into dynasty about 5 years ago. Since then that's my only team. To me this is what makes fantasy enjoyable, having your guys, watching them, rooting for them, winning and losing with them. It's a real GM/coach experience. I've never understood how having multiple teams would be fun. Rooting for a player to do good and bad in the same game? No thanks.

I'm probably a little tired of season long H2H snake draft leagues. Interest in FF is still as high as ever, but also get frustrated to see teams get CMC and basically bomb everything else, and still be successful.

DFS has been a nice change of pace, and I've enjoyed that much more than any season long league this year. I'm going to try to incorporate that into a season long league next year. Maybe have a 10 team league, where you field a new team each week. 

Ultimately, I care more about being right, and having a correct evaluation more than actually winning or losing. So, if I'm really high on a guy, and I don't end up with him, and that is what beats me, I'm still rooting for the guy. For example, I'm 4-8 in my main league(though 2nd in points) but I'm probably having as good a year as anybody in any league as far as predicting what has happened so far this season. Guys I thought would be busts have been, guys I liked as breakouts have been, and teams I thought would be better than people expected(Ravens in particular) have been. Its like my hit/miss % on predictions is at like 90% this season, which is crazy good, it just hasn't helped my particular fantasy team due to bad luck, and lately injuries.

I retired about 6-7 years ago now and don't miss it one bit.  At the max I was playing in like 7 leagues, eventually whittled it down to just my long-running original redraft league and 1 dynasty league.  The redraft league folded in like 2010 and I hung on to the dynasty team for another year or two simply because the team was pretty bad and so it was hard to find a taker for the team despite the commissioner shopping it around.  Eventually he found a taker and I walked away happily.

I thought I'd miss it, and the first year or two once FF draft season rolled around I thought about getting back in...but nowadays I have no plans to ever play again.  I still follow the NFL and enjoy it, and much prefer watching the game for what it is, rather than who has the best stats.  It's brought me back to a time when I simply enjoyed the sport itself.  If you've lost the joy of playing the game, no shame in stepping away.

I haven’t played in 5+ years. I like it for maintaining some contact with old friends. After my last long standing group disbanded, I didn’t see a reason to continue. Playing with random people just has no appeal to me.

I've done a lot more of this recently as well, or even waiting until after the early games are over. I used to basically stare at my laptop constantly watching scores get updated and following all four of my leagues and wasn't even watching football. Now I essentially make my final lineup decisions Sunday morning and turn on Red Zone and just watch football for 3.5 hours. Agonizing over every single stat and cheering for and against myself took the fun out of it.

I might be done. I'm tired of my own poor decision making, and I've won championships. I just have a problem telling old friends, family and workmates I'm done every year. Having said that I'll try to close out with trophies this year.

I am just down to 1 league now.  My big 14 team main league that was together 25 years folded after last year as guys were losing interest and not participating anymore.  Right now the league I am is more of a fun league with my daughter and some of her friends.

I put my lineup in and never check the stats until late Sunday night or Monday morning.  Unlike years before when I was glued to my phone.

3 leagues; I also only really follow my guys. I will check in after the earlies to see how I'm doing but try to stay away from looking at my opponents before the game. This allows me to just root for my guys without stressing about the other side. And it usually works out. If my guys play well, I win. If they don't, i lose.

Been playing since 1988.....incredible lol. OG of FF here. USA today stats by hand and calling in lineups and paying for transactions (5 bucks a move). Ahhh yes the good ol' days.

I have two leagues. A 12 team local dynasty in it's 17th year now? I am losing count. And a local redraft I got pulled into a few years ago. At one time in the early 2000's (2004-2012) I was in 10...10 dynasty leagues. Made a ton of money and then got out before it crashed. 

I actually am part of a private pickem pool with over 100 people from around the country. A fellow baseball coach whom I coached with for years turned me on to it. We pick every game each week vs the spread. Top winner of the week wins $100. Last year (my first year) I came in 2nd overall and cashed in $1800 for a $150 investment.

This season I currently sit in 12th overall with 5 weeks left. That has gotten me back into watching football (after really starting to lose interest because the league does suck now let's be real) and not even thinking about my fantasy teams anymore. Red Zone has taken on a new meaning. 

Fantasy is something I see myself giving up in the very near future. The only thing keeping me in is this dynasty league which I love. In 17 years I have 2 titles, 3 second place finishes and  8 third place finishes. Not bad at all. Dynasty is rewarding. Drafting rookies like ADP, Chris Johnson, Jamal Charles, Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Antonio Brown just to name a few......that is the fun part. The rookie scouting and the team building. I have always drafted well to stay competitive. Fun stuff. But if this league ever folds....that will be it for me.

It's that time of the year when struggling owners are frustrated and think about quitting.   I only play in one league.   Been in that league for almost 20 years and it is full of long time friends.    It's fun and not a lot of work.   

I still enjoy FF but don't enjoy the NFL due to the the terrible calls and endless penalties.  When I'm done, with FF, I will be done with NFL.  

Definitely not fanatical like I used to be.  Down to 2 long time leagues, one of which is the only time I see a few of the guys all year,.  Dropped two others this year as it was becoming more like a job than fun.  

Also, since the 49ers are doing well and fun to watch again, my fantasy football interest has dropped.  Watch a lot less football overall these days.  Without a rooting interest, most of the games are unwatchable with penalties and reviews slowing the action down.  Add to the fact that there seems to be a lot of really bad teams in the league these days, so blow-outs seem to be the norm.  Both the Sunday night and Monday night games were realistically over by halftime (earlier in the Rams/Ravens).  I kept watching Sunday night because my team was playing, but turned the Monday night game off at the half.  Noncompetitive game and listening to Booger was just too much to keep me tuned in.  

Been down to one league now for a couple of years.  Keeper league with plenty of old friends from HS or I would not be doing this.  Playing this since 96 and man has it changed.  The game has really become unwatchable.  At least for me.  TV timeout after TV timeout, injuries, flags, replays and mostly utter BS from these announcers.  To call them Captain Obvious most of the time would be an understatement.  Amazes me they get paid a good wage to state the obvious and add nothing to the narrative. 

Only thing the interests me to a degree is DFS these days.  Season Long has taken it's toll on me.  But I'll be back again next year for my one league and enjoy the hell out of the draft with friends.  But tuning out on Sunday or Monday and especially Thursday is no longer  a problem for me.

Definitely less, I'm in 7 leagues again this season and it is ridiculous.  This is the second time it has crept up that high.  Never again

I've hovered around 2-3 redraft leagues for about 17 years now.  My main league is a snake draft, 10 team, I wish it would go auction but like someone earlier said people get set in their ways.  We have a live draft every year, which does seem harder to schedule as life gets busier, but it's a way to stay connected with guys I grew up with.  As far as the actual results, I too was glued to computer/phone screen in the past, but thankfully I've stopped with the obsessing.  So I say I enjoy it still because I've stopped caring so much about it.  I follow the league, stay up to date, and started playing DFS (with friends only) this year, but never let it get to me like I used to.  I've thought about quitting, but for a few hundred dollars each year, it's still worth it (I'm 10-2 in my main league this year so easy to say this now).  Also agree we are completely saturated with info these days, so really luck has more to do with it then ever before, but it's funny we have 1 or 2 guys in our main league who still show up with a magazine at draft day, so there are always draft steals to be had.  

Several years ago I took a season off. I can say I enjoyed the year off but also enjoyed coming back. My involvement has varied over the years. A year ago I was down to one dynasty team and the league folded. I picked up another team through zealots and have exactly that one team. I imagine I will keep that team for at least another year but I don't put a lot of work into it anymore. My son who is 18 though started playing a couple of years ago and he is as into it as I was many years ago. Maybe their is a new crop of younger guys picking up where us old guys are dropping off?

I am doing 4 this year and it feels like too much. Especially by this point of the season and the varying volume of players only across four leagues, it's just a lot to keep up with. It's fun, but I think I'd actually enjoy it more if I could focus on making a few teams great rather than trying to keep up and make all good/ok.

1 local league, about 12 years running, that is fun getting together with the group with a live draft and such.

Other than that, 4 dynasty IDP leagues that I'm about half as interested in as I used to be.

I use to be that guy searching out trade partners and researching rookies months before they were drafted.

Now, not sending trade offers and if one comes in, typically reject it when I get a chance. Usually don't even bother with a counter offer.

I don't need the money so winning a prize isn't very exiting. Could really take it or leave it at this point. 

For now, I still have enough free time to submit a lineup and make the minimum free agent moves ... so I'll likely hang in there.

Not right now, but it ebbs and flows.

Two years ago I was getting a bit tired of it, but the 2019 and 2020 draft classes have invigorated me again.

Lots of new and exciting players are entering the player pool between 2019 and 2022 and I'm having a ton of fun in Dynasty leagues.  I am bored of winning. Rebuilding and drafting is more fun.  If you succeed it ends in boring winning :)

Users who are viewing this thread