What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turkey (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I love turkey.  It's probably my favorite food with second place being nowhere even close.  When I moved to Texas, I was introduced to the frying of turkeys and that was a life changing experience.  My girlfriend (at the time)'s family fried the turkey and injected it with cajun seasoning.  It was so good.

What I want to know is, what do you use to inject that turkey and does anyone have any recipes for a good cajun injection?  I've looked online and can't really find anything about the tools for injecting.  And while we have seen some cajun recipes, I was hoping for more first hand information from people I trust.  

You should be able to find this in just about any grocery store

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cajun-injector-creole-butter-marinade-with-injector-and-seasoning-combo?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-IRFOdzLWO1Da9d0kXGYhith6iy-ptm97Wd3uxbN0ufyX81Vq5DSrAaAtEtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's no need to make it any more complicated than that, the end results just don't have that much difference.  I spent a good bit on an nice injection needle and tried making multiple injections recipes over the years and for the last 5+years I just get this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to find this in just about any grocery store

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cajun-injector-creole-butter-marinade-with-injector-and-seasoning-combo?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-IRFOdzLWO1Da9d0kXGYhith6iy-ptm97Wd3uxbN0ufyX81Vq5DSrAaAtEtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's no need to make it any more complicated than that, the end results just don't have that much difference.  I spent a good bit on an nice injection needle and tried making multiple injections recipes over the years and for the last 5+years I just get this.
So we've seen things like this but they don't show an actual needle.  And that's what was confusing.  Do you need to buy a needle separately?

So we've seen things like this but they don't show an actual needle.  And that's what was confusing.  Do you need to buy a needle separately?
No, it's part of the purchase, it's a cheap plastic syringe and needle but it can be cleaned and kept for other injections or just tossed until you buy another bottle

Ok, so now that I've ordered the injector, the next question is how much (or how many injections) are you making on a turkey?  And is it like you're pulling it out as you're injecting it to ensure it coats as much of the inside as possible.  Also, that may be the most sexual sentence I've ever typed on this board that wasn't referring to sex.  

I always just get one of these.  Comes with its own injector.  Tony Chachere's Creole butter is my favorite but there are other flavors.  
And with this get some T Chachere's creole seasoning.  Inject the marinade and sprinkle the seasoning (good amount) all over the bird.  When you raise the fowl out of the hot oil the skin will be crispy and delicious.  

Dem's good eats.  

Ok, so now that I've ordered the injector, the next question is how much (or how many injections) are you making on a turkey?  And is it like you're pulling it out as you're injecting it to ensure it coats as much of the inside as possible.  Also, that may be the most sexual sentence I've ever typed on this board that wasn't referring to sex.  
I usually inject the breasts(each side) several times and do the same for the thighs.  1 maybe 2 for the legs, typically I only use about 2/3 of the jar.  Also, when injecting don't freak out when fluid comes oozing out or outright squirting out of previous injection sites, it's normal and I actually like to rub/baste the skin with that fluid before letting it air dry in preparation for applying the rub.

And with this get some T Chachere's creole seasoning.  Inject the marinade and sprinkle the seasoning (good amount) all over the bird.  When you raise the fowl out of the hot oil the skin will be crispy and delicious.  

Dem's good eats.  
JMHO, but Tony C's can be on the salty side of the palate, if salt is not your thing you may want to go lite or go with another brand

JMHO, but Tony C's can be on the salty side of the palate, if salt is not your thing you may want to go lite or go with another brand
I can see that.  I haven't noticed it being any more salty than other brands.  Different strokes I suppose.  

I usually inject the breasts(each side) several times and do the same for the thighs.  1 maybe 2 for the legs, typically I only use about 2/3 of the jar.  Also, when injecting don't freak out when fluid comes oozing out or outright squirting out of previous injection sites, it's normal and I actually like to rub/baste the skin with that fluid before letting it air dry in preparation for applying the rub.
Wow.  So you want to use about 2/3 of the jar.  I had no idea that whole jar was basically a single use thing.  So glad I asked.  Thanks so much for all of the advice.  I can't wait to try this.

Unfortunately, my dad doesn't like cajun seasoning, and we have them up here for Thanksgiving.  So we won't get to try this until after Thanksgiving.  But I can't wait to try this nos. :excited:

Wow.  So you want to use about 2/3 of the jar.  I had no idea that whole jar was basically a single use thing.  So glad I asked.  Thanks so much for all of the advice.  I can't wait to try this.

Unfortunately, my dad doesn't like cajun seasoning, and we have them up here for Thanksgiving.  So we won't get to try this until after Thanksgiving.  But I can't wait to try this nos. :excited:
NEVER reuse the injection solution if you inject right from the jar.  After the first injection your needle has cross contaminated it with raw poultry.

If you want to try for Thanksgiving, but a larger gage needle like the sterling one linked above.  Get unsalted butter and soften, mix with finely minced garlic, oregano, basil and rosemary. take half and heat till liquid and inject, take other half and rub down the bird, fry away, no Cajun needed 

Also, when injecting don't freak out when fluid comes oozing out or outright squirting out of previous injection sites, it's normal and I actually like to rub/baste the skin with that fluid before letting it air dry in preparation for applying the rub.
speaking of sexual sentences that weren't referring to sex....

:oldunsure:

NEVER reuse the injection solution if you inject right from the jar.  After the first injection your needle has cross contaminated it with raw poultry.

If you want to try for Thanksgiving, but a larger gage needle like the sterling one linked above.  Get unsalted butter and soften, mix with finely minced garlic, oregano, basil and rosemary. take half and heat till liquid and inject, take other half and rub down the bird, fry away, no Cajun needed 
So just to be clear, when you say never reuse, you mean you can keep dipping that needle into the jar as long as it's the same bird.  But whatever you don't use, throw away.  Right?

Also, so now that we've gone over the injecting part in detail, let's talk about the outside of the bird.  I saw some links to seasonings on the skin above.  What's everyone's go to on this?  And how much are you putting on?

Also, does anyone use the injectors on anything else besides turkeys?  

I love turkey.  It's probably my favorite food with second place being nowhere even close.  When I moved to Texas, I was introduced to the frying of turkeys and that was a life changing experience.  My girlfriend (at the time)'s family fried the turkey and injected it with cajun seasoning.  It was so good.

What I want to know is, what do you use to inject that turkey and does anyone have any recipes for a good cajun injection?  I've looked online and can't really find anything about the tools for injecting.  And while we have seen some cajun recipes, I was hoping for more first hand information from people I trust.  
You moved to Texas?

Also, so now that we've gone over the injecting part in detail, let's talk about the outside of the bird.  I saw some links to seasonings on the skin above.  What's everyone's go to on this?  And how much are you putting on?

Also, does anyone use the injectors on anything else besides turkeys?  
If you are going to fry the turkey I would suggest a light rub of any flavor/style.  Id use a rub lite in sugar or made with Turbinado Sugar so the skin doesn't get to dark.

I use the injectors on many things(needles/not solution), pork butts, eye of round, whole chickens to name a few

If you are going to fry the turkey I would suggest a light rub of any flavor/style.  Id use a rub lite in sugar or made with Turbinado Sugar so the skin doesn't get to dark.

I use the injectors on many things(needles/not solution), pork butts, eye of round, whole chickens to name a few
Probably won't be frying the turkey.  You can still inject without frying, right?

Ok.  I thought so but got worried there when you mentioned frying.  
i don’t inject, but for extra moistness and flavor, get a cheese cloth and cover one side with softened butter.  then cover the butter with your cajun seasoning.  then cover the breasteses of the turkey only with the seasoned side.  then put the bird in an oven bag.  my wife also stabs bird with knife and fills wounds with spanish stuffed olives.  finish the last 1/2 hr without cloth for crispness.  Wa La

I've found cooking turkey in a convection oven produced the best results, besides frying. Air moves around and cooks bird evenly, and a lot faster

Brining 2 turkey breasts (yes, breasts) in 1/4 cup salt, bottle of good maple syrup, 2 sliced oranges, 1 sliced grapefruit, boatload of peppercorns, and 2 fresh herb bouquets. They’ve been in the drink since Tuesday. I’ll pull them out closer to lunch today and cook for a couple of hours. Delicious.

So we tried the injection stuff today and it was not good.  At least, not to what we were expecting.  I know it says "butter" on the packaging, but it just tasted like butter.  Duh, I guess.

But the big thing was that the original cajun seasoning I had 20 years ago was like a spicy cajun seasoning.  It didn't taste like I was eating a stick of butter.  I'm sure it may have had some, but I feel like I'm eating turkey flavored butter.  Also, it was our first crack at this, so we may have messed up with adding too much.

But all that aside, is there a flavor out there that is spicy cajun?  

Secondly, do we just need to add less butter?  If anyone makes their own, do you add anything that adds heat?  Like maybe cayenne pepper or something?  I don't want it to be hot, per se.  But that cajun seasoning I had so long ago just gave it a slight kick.

Any thoughts from the experts?

So we tried the injection stuff today and it was not good.  At least, not to what we were expecting.  I know it says "butter" on the packaging, but it just tasted like butter.  Duh, I guess.

But the big thing was that the original cajun seasoning I had 20 years ago was like a spicy cajun seasoning.  It didn't taste like I was eating a stick of butter.  I'm sure it may have had some, but I feel like I'm eating turkey flavored butter.  Also, it was our first crack at this, so we may have messed up with adding too much.

But all that aside, is there a flavor out there that is spicy cajun?  

Secondly, do we just need to add less butter?  If anyone makes their own, do you add anything that adds heat?  Like maybe cayenne pepper or something?  I don't want it to be hot, per se.  But that cajun seasoning I had so long ago just gave it a slight kick.

Any thoughts from the experts?
Was it Tony's?  If so, that would surprise me.  That's one brand I am fiercely loyal to and have been decades.  Tony's has never let me down.

Brining 2 turkey breasts (yes, breasts) in 1/4 cup salt, bottle of good maple syrup, 2 sliced oranges, 1 sliced grapefruit, boatload of peppercorns, and 2 fresh herb bouquets. They’ve been in the drink since Tuesday. I’ll pull them out closer to lunch today and cook for a couple of hours. Delicious.
Thank you. My brother in law (Sparty moves to Savannah) does the frying. Fried turkey, 15 years ago, was novel.

I'm a fan of smoking with a dry brine. I found my method from bbq-brethren with a link to a dry brine recipe from a New York Times article about a woman who owns a restaurant in Northern California. I've been doing it this way on a Weber kettle for the last 10 years.

Edit: Judy Rodgers is the chef.

I'm using this method this year.

I've been dry brining the bird since Monday and am starting from a cold oven and finishing at 450.
Crap quoted wrong person.

Thank you. My brother in law (Sparty moves to Savannah) does the frying. Fried turkey, 15 years ago, was novel.

I'm a fan of smoking with a dry brine. I found my method from bbq-brethren with a link to a dry brine recipe from a New York Times article about a woman who owns a restaurant in Northern California. I've been doing it this way on a Weber kettle for the last 10 years.

Edit: Judy Rodgers is the chef.

General Malaise said:
Was it Tony's?  If so, that would surprise me.  That's one brand I am fiercely loyal to and have been decades.  Tony's has never let me down.
Agreed. Tony's seasoning (in moderation for me, I can't handle anything spicy) and marinades are freakin good. 

Add Tony's to scrambled eggs. Heaven.

Eephus said:
Got a small bird (~8.5 lbs) for Xmas and am going to spatchcock it.
Put on a rack over a pan of cut veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts. Veggies roast and baste and are FAAAABULOUS!

Users who are viewing this thread