What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is there a War On Thanksgiving? (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
Trump seemed to suggest that at a rally Tuesday night and the hashtag #WarOnThanksgiving is trending;

https://www.newsweek.com/war-thanksgiving-trending-trump-1474435

#WARONTHANKSGIVING TRENDS AFTER TRUMP CLAIMS 'RADICAL LEFT' WANTS TO CHANGE NAME OF THE HOLIDAY

The hashtag #WaronThanksgiving was trending on Twitter on Wednesday morning after President Donald Trump claimed at his campaign rally Tuesday night that the "radical left" wants to change the name of the holiday.

By mid-morning, the hashtag was No. 3 in the United States trend list with more than 3,000 mentions.

During his rally in Sunrise, Florida, Trump accused the "radical left Democrats" of "trying to rip our nation apart." He claimed there are people trying to change the name of Thanksgiving.

"As we gather together for Thanksgiving, you know some people want to change the name Thanksgiving, they don't want to use the term Thanksgiving, and that was true also with Christmas, but now everybody's using Christmas again," Trump said during his rally. "Now we're going to have to do a little work on Thanksgiving. People have different ideas why it shouldn't be called Thanksgiving, but everybody in this room I know loves the name Thanksgiving and wouldn't change it."

[...]

Link to the #WarOnThanksgiving hashtag:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/WarOnThanksgiving?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A1199748293410131974

This is the #### better left untouched and not given any attention. So ridiculous.  Just ignore it.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
From the #WarOnThanksgiving hashtag:

Dearest Wife,

We are low on covfefe. The troops are resting after a horrific ordeal as one of the men thought he could consume a turducken by himself. We do not expect him to recover from his coma. The enemy continues to assault us with pecan pies. Pray for us.

Guys, #WarOnThanksgiving jokes aren’t funny. I lost an uncle @ the Battle of Cranberry Hill. He was going upriver on a gravy boat that got ambushed by Col. “Cornbread” Stuffing’s men. Bones everywhere... He died of heartburn. Tried 2 hold on until Black Friday but just couldn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
More from the Twitters:   :lol:

The Battle of White Meat is still called The Breast and Thigh War in the South despite the evidence that the South were the instigators, insisting they get the “good parts” of the turkey because Grandma said so once while drunk.

My dearest Henry,

I hope my letter finds you well. The red hats have tried to poison the potato salad with raisins. We haven't fallen for their slapdash attempts. But our communications have broken down over whether it's called stuffing or dressing.

Love,

M

To answer the original post, No, I don't think there's any "war" on Thanksgiving. That doesn't sound like what Trump said though. I do know some folks who aren't comfortable with it. Not so much the name but more the invasion angle. For mostly reasons outlined in something like this https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/thanksgiving-dont-celebrate-native-americans-controversial-why-history-pilgrims-a8636201.html

For many Americans, Thanksgiving is a special, beloved holiday for eating turkey – or a vegetarian main course option – and spending time with friends and family. 

However, for others, the celebration is deeply controversial – as Thanksgiving has a contentious history that goes far beyond when the first feast was held. 

In addition to a holiday steeped with cultural appropriation, the period of history in America is frequently white-washed – which leads some Americans to ignore the holiday. 

Thanksgiving is considered by some to be a “national day of mourning”

Like Columbus Day, the holiday is viewed by many to be a celebration of the conquest of Native Americans by colonists or an embellished narrative of “Pilgrims and Natives looking past their differences” to break bread.
I don't think it has as much support as does something like changing Columbus Day. 

I interact with a lot of leftists and don’t know a single person who has expressed a desire to attack Thanksgiving.

To answer the original post, No, I don't think there's any "war" on Thanksgiving. That doesn't sound like what Trump said though. I do know some folks who aren't comfortable with it. Not so much the name but more the invasion angle. For mostly reasons outlined in something like this https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/thanksgiving-dont-celebrate-native-americans-controversial-why-history-pilgrims-a8636201.html

I don't think it has as much support as does something like changing Columbus Day. 
I think Americans should refrain from attempting to explain Guy Fawkes day and Brits should refrain from attempting to explain Thanksgiving.  

Probably fair. My point was I know American folks who feel the way the article described.
I’m sure the cringe-y sentiment of genocide against Native Americans being washed away by Thanksgiving exists in many places, but (as you also suggested) I don’t think it’s a widespread campaign against Thanksgiving despite what a British journalist quoted a single professor from UT Austin as saying.  

I do hear a lot of people say they wished Thanksgiving could include a recounting of what happened afterwards, or a real discussion of how to try to make things a little more right than they are on that front, for sure. 

Aside from opinion pieces on the interwebs, has anyone actually encountered a human who voiced consternation at the celebration of the holiday?

That would be my SIL.  We aren’t having turkey this year.  My kids are actually excited - they hate turkey (and America evidently).
We serve both. It's a big deal since (most of) my family is Jewish and thus eschew pork in their own homes, though several enjoy it. As my wife isn't Jewish they get a pass to have the ham at our house, so people look forward to it. I stick with the turkey myself.

That’s called Christmas you commie’s.  Anything other the turkey on thanksgiving is treason and you should be strung up by your toes.  I’ve never been more disappointed in the PSF. Be better.   

And yes brine.  Always.  
What about tequila shots?

Users who are viewing this thread