What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

80s music, it didn't all suck - the forgotten, obscure, neglected (3 Viewers)

YouTube had this up for me just now...it's listening.

Fine young cannibals... Johnny come home... Iirc, their first hit and one that gets forgotten after their other hits. 

Sisters of Mercy...marriane

Red lorry yellow lorry... Talk about the weather

Los microwaves... Radio heart

Our daughter's wedding... Love machine

The Wolfgang press... Sweatbox

Sofahead... Everytime
Big Wolfgang Press fan. Red Lorry Yellow Lorry too. 

Fad Gadget fan by chance? Collapsing People

I'll start with Skateaway by Dire Straits, 1980.

There's a lovely atmospheric quality to so many of their songs, this one has that in spades. In particular, the guitar work towards the end is really wonderful. Hardly ever hear this one out in the world anymore. Wasn't even a huge hit when it came out, making it "only" to 56 at its peak.

Also there's the video, which is simple and understated yet entertaining. And of course the lead rollergirl, Jayzik (Jay) Azikiwe is dead sexy skating her way through the clip. Sadly she died back in 2008, but she's immortalized here for as long as we have youtube (or something like it). Interestingly, the music in the clip is played at a slightly higher rate than the original recording.
That whole album side is solid imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I saw Bolshoi in one of the posts. Like them as well.  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
David & David - Welcome to the Boomtown

Hunters and Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me

M - Pop Muzik  (good for one listen per decade)

OMD - If you Leave

Franke and the Knockouts - Sweetheart

(sorry, I do Spotify, not Youtube.  Though I had Sirius XM on vacation this week - First Wave rules).

David & David - Welcome to the Boomtown

Hunters and Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me

M - Pop Muzik  (good for one listen per decade)

OMD - If you Leave

Franke and the Knockouts - Sweetheart

(sorry, I do Spotify, not Youtube.  Though I had Sirius XM on vacation this week - First Wave rules).
Another good one and a great band.

A lot of people forget the 80s brought us the golden age of hip hop (87-97).  So many great albums outside of the usual Run DMC/Beastie Boys talk.   Eric B & Rakim, Slick Rick, EPMD, Gangstarr, Kool G Rap & Polo, Geto Boys, NWA, PE etc.  Far too much goodness to list here.  

Users who are viewing this thread