What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

how did your kid(s) let you know they no longer believed in Santa? (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
got an 11 and 9 year old at home.

9 year old is still all in. 

11 year old has given no indication of interest in anything Santa related at all this year. she's in 6th grade so i don't expect her to believe since it's not cool now but.. i kind of expect her to drop a "you know i know it's bs" line on me before Christmas. 

however, maybe that's not how it works? honestly can't remember how it went for me.. i think our parents just stopped pretending before we were 10 and my memory doesn't go back that far anymore  :oldunsure:

Been playing that "does he know or doesn't he" for the past few years with my 13yo.   Not sure how it was brought up, but this summer he finally fessed up that he's known for a couple years now.  

Never wanted to know, as I knew it was another inevitable sign of the kids getting older.  Still play the "of course he exists" game.

One of my favorite memories was when they did still believe.  We usually got some expensive (for us in those days) electronic gift for the "family."  Big screen TV, Wii, Xbox, something like that.  The boys were maybe 8 and 6 and the older one says "of course Santa exists.  Dad can't afford to get us those gifts."

When my daughters got old enough they said "Is there really a Santa? Because the kids at school says there is not"

I sat them both down and just yes "Yes, there is a Santa..your mom and I are your Santas" They just smiled as I am pretty sure they already knew.

9 year old told me walking home from church 2 weeks ago when his little brothers ran ahead of us.

We talked with him earlier today about the importance of maintaining the belief in the 'christmas magic' as my wife put it so his younger brothers and cousins get as much joy out of these years as he did. 

Mrs. O told our 8 year old the other day. I found out after the fact. Would have been nice if I’d had some input into the decision—seemed early to me at the time, but in retrospect she’s probably at the right age.  

There was a brief time when I thought Santa was going to be my new dad.  Call me disappointed when I saw it was just my father playing some kind of perverted game with my mother.

got an 11 and 9 year old at home.

9 year old is still all in. 

11 year old has given no indication of interest in anything Santa related at all this year. she's in 6th grade so i don't expect her to believe since it's not cool now but.. i kind of expect her to drop a "you know i know it's bs" line on me before Christmas. 

however, maybe that's not how it works? honestly can't remember how it went for me.. i think our parents just stopped pretending before we were 10 and my memory doesn't go back that far anymore  :oldunsure:
2 boys, same age. They just flat out told me.

Literally just had my twins tell me that “kids in our school don’t believe”.....mostly 4th graders 

they just turned 9 Wednesday....they still want to believe, so this may be the final year 

Literally just had my twins tell me that “kids in our school don’t believe”.....mostly 4th graders 

they just turned 9 Wednesday....they still want to believe, so this may be the final year 
last year my oldest came home saying that some kids were saying Santa wasn't real.. but she knew they were wrong because it was too hard to explain the things Santa did if he wasn't real.

could have been humoring us but it felt genuine.

Otis said:
Mrs. O told our 8 year old the other day. I found out after the fact. Would have been nice if I’d had some input into the decision—seemed early to me at the time, but in retrospect she’s probably at the right age.  
The kid is supposed to tell you, not the other way around 

Several years ago I was driving with a group of 8-to-10-year-old girls in the car, and they started debating/arguing about whether or not Santa was real.

The crux of the conversation went something like this:

Girl #1: If Santa was real, he wouldn't buy toys from Target. It's just a story that parents make up to get kids to be good.
Girl #2: Hmmm, maybe you're right.
Girl #3: (quiet voice) Maybe Jesus isn't real, either.
Me: What did you say???
Girl #3: Nothing!

My 4 1/2 year old grand daughter has never believed in Santa.  Has always refused to take a picture with him. Tells my daughter to lock the gate at bottom of stairs so he doesn't come up when she goes to bed.

El Floppo said:
I think my 8yo is still all in.
Yes my 8 year olds are still both all in. Even if someone told them at school they'd probably be the ones to argue why those kids are wrong.

WTF is this ####? She just told her unsolicited?
It wasn't that bad.  Basically 8yo was suspicious and pressed the issue with "mom when are you gonna stop lying to me," and Mrs. O gave in.   Probably didn't have much choice.  I just had no idea 8yo was already there, I thought we'd have another couple years.  Then again she's turning 9 soon.  I can't remember how old I was when I found out.

My wife and I decided that we would tell them the truth about Santa, that he was based on the story of St. Nicolas, an actual person, but that there isn't an actual person living at the North Pole delivering presents every Christmas Eve. They've done pretty well with it, except for the one time our middle child went in to her day care room(at the day care where my wife works) and announced, "Attention everyone! Santa is not real!" My wife had some damage control to do, but we still laugh about it 3 years later. 

Side note, our son, the youngest, calls me Santa and my wife Mrs. Claus, since he knows we buy the presents now.

16yo son - just casually mentioned it one day, I think it was as we were leaving the theater for rise of the guardians.. That was 7 years ago,.

14yo son - a few years ago he asked if I enjoyed the cookies "Santa ate", I tried to play it off but he knew

11yo son - wanted a switch a couple years ago, he made it very clear in the conversation that be knew we were Santa when he asked if he could pay some so Santa could bring it. This was after I tried convincing him that Santa doesn't bring video game systems and has a budget

9yo son - probably still believes

5yo daughter - definitely still believes

Lucky for us the older kids haven't tried to ruin it for the younger ones. They're especially protective of their sister. 

Several years ago I was driving with a group of 8-to-10-year-old girls in the car, and they started debating/arguing about whether or not Santa was real.

The crux of the conversation went something like this:

Girl #1: If Santa was real, he wouldn't buy toys from Target. It's just a story that parents make up to get kids to be good.
Girl #2: Hmmm, maybe you're right.
Girl #3: (quiet voice) Maybe Jesus isn't real, either.
Me: What did you say???
Girl #3: Nothing!
Girl #3 displaying some good critical thinking ability

Around the time they were each 11, my wife sat  them down and said “Let me tell you where babies come from. And by the way, there is no Santa.”

Bull Dozier said:
Never wanted to know, as I knew it was another inevitable sign of the kids getting older.  Still play the "of course he exists" game.

One of my favorite memories was when they did still believe.  We usually got some expensive (for us in those days) electronic gift for the "family."  Big screen TV, Wii, Xbox, something like that.  The boys were maybe 8 and 6 and the older one says "of course Santa exists.  Dad can't afford to get us those gifts."
We would convince ours with stuff like...”we would never buy you something like that.”

For the OP...daughter is also 11 and in 6th grade...and get the same vibe.  She wont come out and say she doesn’t believe...but little things she says let us know.  And she had her doubts last year as well.  Doesn't help that we have one of those Elf kn the Shelf things and we were awful about moving it around last year.  Similar with the tooth fairy...i think doubt crept in when she would have a tooth in her little spot for an extra night l or two before any money appeared.

My 4 1/2 year old grand daughter has never believed in Santa.  Has always refused to take a picture with him. Tells my daughter to lock the gate at bottom of stairs so he doesn't come up when she goes to bed.
So she does believe, she's just smart and scared of him.  I can see that.  Old hairy dude coming into your house when you're sleeping doesn't sound like a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
So she does believe, she is just scared of him.  I can see that.  Old hairy dude coming into your house when you're sleeping doesn't sound like a good idea.
The little ones visiting the mall Santa are entertaining. Some have the look of terror in their eyes, while others run right up and start shouting out demands.

Our two oldest grandkids are 10 and 12. They are obviously past "Santa" age and have started asking for money versus gifts. It is the most depressing thing ever. Thank god we still have the two younger ones (5 and 7). Enjoy it while your kids are young because, honestly, as you, and your kids, grow older, much of the magic of the season fades. Christmas is for the kids, which why I admittedly never understood those parents that just can't wait to show how "woke" they are by ruining it for theirs. Happy to see none of those in here, at least not yet. Enjoy it to the fullest while you can. They won't stay young forever.

So she does believe, she's just smart and scared of him.  I can see that.  Old hairy dude coming into your house when you're sleeping doesn't sound like a good idea.

The little ones visiting the mall Santa are entertaining. Some have the look of terror in their eyes, while others run right up and start shouting out demands.
I think the visit to the mall when she was almost two set this all off.  She had the melt down of all melt down as that santa scared the crap out of her. And it's just stuck with her and her amazing photographic memory.  

I still do the “you got to believe to receive” line to my 13 and 14 yo boys So they still get Santa gifts even though they know it’s not real.   They have been rolling their eyes to that line for a few years now.  

I wouldn't straight up tell my kid it’s fake if they were 8-10yo only because I don’t want them to ruin it for other kids by saying my parents told me it was fake.  they figure it out on there own fine enough.  

My wife texted me while I was at work one day.  He had figured it out based on other kids talking at school.  When I got home he said, "dad, thanks for the xBox."

I know my 8 year old knows it’s BS but he still plays along

10 (almost 11) year old is pretty naive I think he still legitimately believes 

pretty sure 6 year old still buys into it

just remembered that a guy i work with has an 11 year old who's one of those kind of classic 80s movie doofuses. super big heart, sweetest kid, great at sports, naive as hell. falls for every gag, etc.

great kid

was talking with the guy a couple weeks back about this topic and he said "i think with this one i'm still going to be putting presents under the tree from Santa when he's 23"

just had the talk with our oldest, 13y/o daughter.She said she knew but didnt want to believe it, we felt pretty much the same. 

Bonus now she gets to help with the F'ing elfs. She asked me today "dad, can i do something I've wanted to do for years?" "sure honey, whats that?" then she reaches out and touches the elf. lol 

Im struggling with this right now. My 10 year old knows the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy aren't real but still believes in Santa and his Elf on the Shelf. He does ask us if they're real and we still lie to him. Im thinking we drop the news to him officially after Christmas.

Im sad his innocence will be gone soon but I don't want kids making fun of him. 

Otis said:
8 seems young to break it to them.

Sounds like he believes in him to me. Otherwise why lock the gate?

Btw i figured it out when I was 9. My father used to dress up as Santa and deliver gifts on Christmas Eve. He would "goto the store to get milk" everytime Santa came. Finally at 9 I recognized him under the costume. 

Users who are viewing this thread