What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should the Chiefs consider building a dome.....? (1 Viewer)

why pose the question if you are ignoring money....money is absolutely a factor....and who knows what happens to Mahoms over the next 12 years....most qbs seem to be in their prime at about 25-29.....Mahomes is 24....it might take a year to secure funding and a site....then 2 or 3 years to build the thing....then Mahomes is on his second contract and the advantage is officially lost....I wish I could take money out of every decision I make.....
its a fantasy football forum where you bring things up for discussion.....you are allowed to play what ifs.....simply saying if money isn't a factor....would it be a good idea....its not a difficult question.....

for instance....would the makeup of the Rams greatest show on turf be as effective all year long and especially in the playoffs if they were in ....I don't know....Green Bay....?......did they maybe have an advantage in Dec and Jan if playing indoors....would the other team rather play them in snow and 40 mph winds...?

would the Rams have created their team differently if not in a dome......did they draft or acquire free agents based on being indoors....I'm simply saying what about doing it the other way around....recognize your pieces and build a stadium that puts them in the best position to succeed...if your best piece (and most important piece in all of sports) for the next 15 years relies on throwing the ball why not eliminate the factor (weather that can hurt his game)....

Last edited by a moderator:
its a fantasy football forum where you bring things up for discussion.....you are allowed to play what ifs.....simply saying if money isn't a factor....would it be a good idea....its not a difficult question.....

for instance....would the makeup of the Rams greatest show on turf be as effective all year long and especially in the playoffs if they were in ....I don't know....Green Bay....?......did they maybe have an advantage in Dec and Jan if playing indoors....would the other team rather play them in snow and 40 mph winds...?

would the Rams have created their team differently if not in a dome......did they draft or acquire free agents based on being indoors....I'm simply saying what about doing it the other way around....recognize your pieces and build a stadium that puts them in the best position to succeed...
So you're in favor of spending a billion dollars building a stadium around a player?

So you're in favor of spending a billion dollars building a stadium around a player?
I'm not spending anything....but if it means winning maybe several super bowls over the next few years......hell yeah.....

again....IF MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE....do you think it would maybe be a good idea...?

wouldnt it make more sense, and cost far less money, to build your team around your environment? Isnt thatbwhat the greatest show on turf did? recognized that they play I games on turf and went after guys who could run? They didn't build a dome after they saw what they had. They built the team around their environment. if you play outside in December and January, doesnt it make sense to draft a guy who has had success in the cold?

Isnt it better to look for an advantage of 22 players and not just one? Playing outside in the later part of the year is a big advantage for the home team. always has been. So you put a dome, for free, on top of arrowhead- because you're afraid mahomes cant perform in bad weather (then hes not as good as you think), isnt that leveling thenplayong field? playing in a dome is better for the visiting team, no matter who your qb is. and what if your QB is hurt? there goes any advantage.

I'd rather play for the advantage of 22 guys. not 1. 

at the end of the day, owning an NFL franchise is owning a business. They want to make money. 

The OP asks a question if KC should consider building a dome. Well, stadiums, and domes, cost lots of money. So of course money is part of the discussion. 

It's a horrible business decision to spend a billion dollars on a new stadium with a dome in order to win a few super bowls and make a few million dollars. 

That makes about as much sense as running up 100k in student loan debt go major in philosophy 

I'm not spending anything....but if it means winning maybe several super bowls over the next few years......hell yeah.....

again....IF MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE....do you think it would maybe be a good idea...?
C'mon man.  Having a dome vs an outdoor stadium isn't going to be the differentiator between winning several super bowls and winning none.  This just keeps getting more ridiculous.

Building a stadium around a particular player or style of play is not a good idea.  Both are exceedingly temporary.  Earlier you mentioned the Rams.  The Greatest Show on Turf lasted three seasons.

wouldnt it make more sense, and cost far less money, to build your team around your environment? Isnt thatbwhat the greatest show on turf did? recognized that they play I games on turf and went after guys who could run? They didn't build a dome after they saw what they had. They built the team around their environment. if you play outside in December and January, doesnt it make sense to draft a guy who has had success in the cold?

Isnt it better to look for an advantage of 22 players and not just one? Playing outside in the later part of the year is a big advantage for the home team. always has been. So you put a dome, for free, on top of arrowhead- because you're afraid mahomes cant perform in bad weather (then hes not as good as you think), isnt that leveling thenplayong field? playing in a dome is better for the visiting team, no matter who your qb is. and what if your QB is hurt? there goes any advantage.

I'd rather play for the advantage of 22 guys. not 1. 
you still wont answer the question ...."if money was not an issue"......you probably wont because you know the answer....but thats okay...keep going down that rabbit hole....I'm just throwing out an idea for discussion....

a generational talent....AT QB....again "AT QB"......is not an everyday thing (if you want to argue Mahomes is not a generational type talent, thats another discussion and changes everything)....but if there is aplayer that should make you have these discussions.....I would argue.....its him....

your comments about the greatest show on turf, proved my point.....I was just saying do it in the opposite....

you still wont answer the question ...."if money was not an issue"......you probably wont because you know the answer....but thats okay...keep going down that rabbit hole....I'm just throwing out an idea for discussion....

a generational talent....AT QB....again "AT QB"......is not an everyday thing (if you want to argue Mahomes is not a generational type talent, thats another discussion and changes everything)....but if there is aplayer that should make you have these discussions.....I would argue.....its him....

your comments about the greatest show on turf, proved my point.....I was just saying do it in the opposite....
You asked if the Chiefs should consider it and the answer is it's not a good business decision. 

C'mon man.  Having a dome vs an outdoor stadium isn't going to be the differentiator between winning several super bowls and winning none.  This just keeps getting more ridiculous.

Building a stadium around a particular player or style of play is not a good idea.  Both are exceedingly temporary.  Earlier you mentioned the Rams.  The Greatest Show on Turf lasted three seasons.
(bolded) in part because they moved....

crazy hypothetical....if the Chiefs and Patriots play with their current rosters for the next 10 years with no changes and not factoring in aging and lessening skills......and its played outdoors at a neutral site in snow and 30 MPH winds.....who wins the most out of 10 games....and then switch that to playing in perfect conditions like a dome or 70 degrees in FLA or something..

You asked if the Chiefs should consider it and the answer is it's not a good business decision. 
fair enough....II'll give you that even if it might not be correct.....

but..... if possible and money was not an issue......could it be a good football only decision....?....

lets say that as an owner.......you could afford to lose several billion.....but maybe win 10 super bowls.....

Tradition exceeds Minnesota?  Why would you say that? 
I lived in Minneapolis for a year in 1996.  I didn't meet one Minnesotan that knew anything about football.  A lot of them preferred pro wrestling to football.  They would talk smack about the Packers but they knew little about their own team.  I do come from Wisconsin where most of my friends' 70 year old mothers can name all 5 starting offensive linemen for the Packers.  I could see the Vikings having much more demand for tickets in a dome.  Literally fair weather fans.

what I'm getting at is the Chiefs aren't going to let Mahomes go anywhere....so why not take bad weather out of the equation.....they could go 16-0 and then run into snow and 40 mph winds in Dec and Jan and its all for naught....

fair enough....II'll give you that even if it might not be correct.....

but..... if possible and money was not an issue......could it be a good football only decision....?....

lets say that as an owner.......you could afford to lose several billion.....but maybe win 10 super bowls.....
Read what you just wrote.

WTF?  Seriously?

Greatest Show on Turf was 1999-2001.

The Rams played in the Edward Jones Dome in STL through the 2015 season.
I'm just saying where you play makes a difference.....and the players....if you know you are going to have somebody like Mahomes on lock down.....it changes things

lol....bringing money back in just for fun....they are getting ready to spend $40 million plus on the dude for the next 15 years.....why not try to swing for the fences.....the tax payers would probably be all over it and help out big time.....put something on the table right now in that area and see if a tax increase passes to help pay...

again TAKE $$ OUT of the equation....

do you prefer your QB (Mahomes) for the next 15 years playing in perfect conditions in DEC and JAN or possibly playing in snow and 40 MPH winds...
Weather conditions impact both teams, so I don't have a preference.  Maybe the opposing QB would be even more crippled by snow and 40 MPH winds than Mahomes.  So your notion that having a dome would necessarily be an advantage for KC is specious at best.  Maybe they get a bigger advantage playing outdoors than indoors.

Regardless, this talk of "10 super bowls" BECAUSE OF A STADIUM is just complete and utter insanity.

I'm not going to comment on the build new vs. keep old debate, but I will say I think domed stadiums are a disgrace with a few maybe exceptions (those far north, but hey GB plays outdoors).

Not only do they take the weather (and the fun that goes with it) out of it, they suck the life out of the crowd and the sound.

do you prefer your QB (Mahomes) for the next 15 years playing in perfect conditions in DEC and JAN or possibly playing in snow and 40 MPH winds...
The problem is that you can't take money out of this discussion and have a logical discussion.   Then again, logic has been thrown out the window since KC is winning 10 SBs by building a dome over Mahomes.   

what I'm getting at is the Chiefs aren't going to let Mahomes go anywhere....so why not take bad weather out of the equation.....they could go 16-0 and then run into snow and 40 mph winds in Dec and Jan and its all for naught....
Are you assuming they play all December and playoff games at home?  

If money were not a factor, it could be fun watching them play on the moon. 

They'd be better off getting a better running back (how much do they need Hunt now?) Defense and oline.

lol....bringing money back in just for fun....they are getting ready to spend $40 million plus on the dude for the next 15 years.....why not try to swing for the fences.....the tax payers would probably be all over it and help out big time.....put something on the table right now in that area and see if a tax increase passes to help pay...
Sure, tax payers love giving money to billionaires so millionaires can play a game. 

Some do, but that madness should stop.

Take money out of the equation and I should buy Disney World so I can go there any time since my young kids enjoy it so much and are only going to be at home for the next 15 years or so

Yes, that global warming necessitates domes for everyone :)
How much carbon does it take to produce those materials and build the dome? and then when a dome is on, the stadium needs to be heated... which, you know, requires fossil fuel, or solar panels, but then those require energy and mined metals to be built too. We're doomed. just ban stadiums. That whole moon idea is looking better and better

As stated earlier, building a better defense is way more important.  KC could play in a dome and get home field advantage, but they still would have a tough time making the Super Bowl because their defense is so bad.  And what if they don't get home field advantage?  What's next, they ask other AFC teams to play in domes as well since their QB can't play well if it's a little chilly or snowy?  Tom Brady has played in the New England area his entire career and seems to have done just fine despite some cold weather and snowy playoff games.  

I don't know, but I do know that when Minnesota went from playing outdoors to a dome they lost their winter home field advantage.  Now Minnesota is colder than Kansas City, but it is something to consider.  Southern or dome teams hated coming to Metropolitan stadium.  Just look at the advantage the Patriots have in December and January.  I couldn't imagine the Packers ever making this mistake.
The Purple People eaters were awesome.  December games, late afternoon, with the sun already going down since it is Minnesota, with shots out over the fields and river, steam rising, Bud Grant in short sleeves, Marshall, Page, Eller and Larsen breathing steam with mud and blood frozen to their wrapped hands, incredible.  Then, with the advent of the Humperdome they and their crowd went to eating quiche and drinking white wine spritzers in a climate controlled environment and the roof fell in, figuratively and literally. They got Les Steckel, and deserved him.  They sold their soul. and it turns out the devil never pays, but always collects.

The Purple People eaters were awesome.  December games, late afternoon, with the sun already going down since it is Minnesota, with shots our over the fields and river, steam rising, Bud Grant in short sleeves, Marshall, Page, Eller and Larsen breathing steam with mud and blood frozen to their wrapped hands, incredible.  Then, with the advent of the Humperdome they and their crowd went to eating quiche and drinking white wine spritzers in a climate controlled environment and the roof fell in, figuratively and literally. They got Les Steckel, and deserved him.  They sold their soul. and it turns out the devil never pays, but always collects.
Yea.   That.   

When you think of great, storied, NFL stadiums, how many are domes?

Lambeau, soldier Field, Arrowhead, Heinz... 

I think it'd be cool if Lambeau was the only outdoor stadium left.  Sort of like when the Cubs were the only team in mlb without lights and only played day games.  I like tradition but the tradition of football is playing in fall, not winter.  I think some fans like going to games in brutal conditions because they think it proves their dedication as a fan.  Not me.

I think it'd be cool if Lambeau was the only outdoor stadium left.  Sort of like when the Cubs were the only team in mlb without lights and only played day games.  I like tradition but the tradition of football is playing in fall, not winter.  I think some fans like going to games in brutal conditions because they think it proves their dedication as a fan.  Not me.
That seems debatable. As kids, near Detroit, we played every new years day, in the cold. There wasn't always snow but it happened enough. Some of the most memorable games were in the snow. All championships have been in the winter. 

The argument that the league should cater to the fans, make it more comfortable for them, makes sense. But tradition? I'll have to disagree with you there. 

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
TIL that a “rolling roof” concept was developed for the KC Stadium complex but funding for it was voted down

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PXvvZEzpWYU
The rolling roof was in the original design.

The ballot a few years back to build it was a confusing wall of text for the average voter. There was zero surprise it didn't pass. It had to be intentional.

The NFL even guaranteed Kansas City would host a Super Bowl a couple of years after it was built.

in typical fashion around here for some....I just posted a hypothetical question for discussion.....if it was something they should consider.....taking money out of it, but some can't do that and continued to get hung up on it.....never said KC would win 10 SB's.....but somebody twists it that way....it wasn't about money or super bowls....it was about would it make sense philosophically/strategy wise.....people didn't want to answer that question....what conditions you would want Mahomes and his team to play in if given the option , etc....lol....cheers....

in typical fashion around here for some....I just posted a hypothetical question for discussion.....if it was something they should consider.....taking money out of it, but some can't do that and continued to get hung up on it.....never said KC would win 10 SB's.....but somebody twists it that way....it wasn't about money or super bowls....it was about would it make sense philosophically/strategy wise.....people didn't want to answer that question....what conditions you would want Mahomes and his team to play in if given the option , etc....lol....cheers....
You said KC could "maybe win 10 super bowls".  If you're salty because the convo got sidetracked by that, then that's a you problem.

Regardless, plenty of people answered your question.  The consensus is no.

You said KC could "maybe win 10 super bowls".  If you're salty because the convo got sidetracked by that, then that's a you problem.

Regardless, plenty of people answered your question.  The consensus is no.
so could the Bengals....

Jerry World and the Minnesota dome is awesome.....Heinz is just a stadium with a view, same with Lambeau except no view. I been to over half  of the ones in the league. 

Users who are viewing this thread