What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. - CAR (1 Viewer)

Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Shenault (6'2/220) finished the 2019 campaign the owner of a 56-764-4 receiving line in 11 games. It was a somewhat down season for the CU standout, who showed out with an 86-catch, 1,011-yard campaign in 2018. Onward to the pros, now. Shenault very much figures to be in the Day 1 mix come the spring. Earlier this fall, NFL Films' Greg Cosell tossed out several mouthwatering comps for his game, noting that Shenault plays in the mold of NFL standouts such as DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins.

SOURCE: Laviska Shenault on Twitter

Dec 3, 2019, 3:46 PM ET

Speaking with Fran Duffy on the 'Journey to the Draft' podcast, NFL Films' Greg Cosell said that Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault plays with shades of DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins and Terrell Owens.

Cosell stressed that these general comparisons are just what he sees in Shenault's game when attempting to project him toward the NFL. No guarantee that the 6-foot-2, 220-pound junior ever enters that upper-echelon, but should he develop to his potential, he possesses, per Cosell, "the size, the physicality, the run-after-catch" that we see out of the likes of Hopkins et al. For his part, Duffy offered up a fun mixed comp for the potential Day 1 wideout -- Sammy Watkins in a Julio Jones wrapper. We dig it.

SOURCE: Journey to the Draft

Oct 18, 2019, 2:20 PM ET

Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault said he plans on running the 40-yard dash in the 4.3s or 4.4s.

Shenault (6'2/224) sat down with NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks to chat about his future in the NFL. The first-round prospect mentioned he plans on growing his route tree in 2019 and believes he'll impress at the Combine, which is what everyone expects. Shenault said he crafts his game after Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, and even Antonio Brown, despite major differences in size and style of play. If Shenault's foot can hold up, he'll be one of the most productive players in the country before heading into the 2020 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Move The Sticks Podcast

Aug 3, 2019, 3:40 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler compares Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault to Kansas City Chiefs WR Sammy Watkins.

Well, sorta. "A not-as-fast, but more-physical version of Sammy Watkins," Brugler writes when talking about his first impressions of Shenault, and an NFL scout confirmed these thoughts. He ranks the 6-foot-2, 224-pound wideout tops among the wide receiver group this summer, and cites his playmaking-ability as the biggest strength. Anyone who watched Colorado play while he was healthy would agree, but it's worth noting he missed several games with a toe injury, and durability is listed as his biggest weakness by Brugler. He's already talked about joining the 2020 draft, and assuming he goes (he's going), he should be one of the first players at this position -- and any position -- off the board. Assuming he does stay healthy, of course.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 24, 2019, 10:40 AM ET

Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault is ranked 27th on Bruce Feldman's annual list of the top athletic freaks in college football.

Shenault (6'2/225) was limited by a toe injury for part of the 2018 season, but he still managed to produce a receiving stat line of 86-1,011-6 despite playing in just nine games. The junior wideout is now back to full strength, and he'll be a key figure as the Buffaloes look to enjoy a successful 2019 under first-year HC Mel Tucker. As for the athletic ability, former Colorado HC Mike MacIntyre told Feldman in 2018 that he had never coached a player like Shenault. The junior wideout will once again be a household name both within the Pac-12 and nationally.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 10, 2019, 6:15 PM ET

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah wrote to Instagram that Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault's "competitiveness jumps off the screen."

"He run blocks, pass blocks (from the wing) and attacks defenders after the catch," Jeremiah wrote of the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Shenault. The evaluator offered a lofty combo comp for the junior, seeing in his game a mix of Mike Williams and JuJu Smith-Schuster. That's the second combination comparison that we have seen for Shenault this offseason, as Bleacher Report's Matt Miller earlier comped him to a Alshon Jeffery/JuJu hybrid. Shenault totaled 1,126 yards from scrimmage last season even while battling a toe injury for a good portion of the fall. He is very much going to be in the first-round conversation next spring should he declare.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Instagram

Jul 5, 2019, 4:02 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault led the PAC-12 in yards per route run.

Shenault (6'2/220) recorded 3.44 yards per route run, the most in the PAC-12 by a wide margin. The next closest qualifying wideouts were USC WR Amon-Ra St. Brown with 2.65 yards per route run followed by USC WR Michael Pittman Jr. who averaged 2.28. Shenault proved to be a special talent last season after racking up 1,011 receiving yards on 86 receptions as a sophomore. Another productive season should keep him in the conversation of the top wideout selected in the 2020 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

May 26, 2019, 11:09 AM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes that Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault is "built like Alshon Jeffery and plays like JuJu Smith-Schuster."

"As long as he answers speed questions throughout the season and at the NFL Scouting Combine, Shenault could easily find himself drafted in the top 10," Miller writes of the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Colorado junior. The analyst loves the way that Shenault has produced even without the luxury of an elite quarterback (not an issue for fellow top wideouts Jerry Jeudy and Tee Higgins). This past season, Shenault logged an 86-1011-6 receiving line while additionally rushing for 115 yards and five scores on 17 carries. Miller ranks him as the No. 6 overall draft-eligible prospect for the spring.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

May 21, 2019, 2:52 PM ET

In his too-early 2020 big board, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranked Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault as the No. 6 draft-eligible player in the class.

Shenault (6'2/220) is as dynamic as they come in this skill-position class, which is saying something given the depth of this skill-position class (three of Miller's top six prospects are receivers). During the 2018 campaign, the Colorado junior put up a slick 86-1011-6 receiving line, plus 115 rushing yards and five ground scores on 17 carries. He has the versatility to do a little bit of everything on offense.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

May 7, 2019, 2:59 PM ET

Biggest NFL Draft Risers and Fallers After Week 14 of College Football

Excerpt:

Faller: Laviska Shenault Jr., Colorado Wide Receiver

How long is it going to be until the NFL is in "show-me" mode with Laviska Shenault Jr.?

The Colorado junior wide receiver can be one of college football's top playmakers with the ball in his hands, and the Buffaloes try various ways to get him the ball. But when they needed him to be explosive against the Pac-12's top team on Saturday, he wasn't able to.

It's hard critiquing Shenault too badly since he finished with a team-high four catches for 43 yards and added 25 yards on five carries, but 68 total yards in a 45-15 slaughter by the Utes was not exactly the type of ringing showing he needed.

Several NFL draft boards have Shenault as a late-first round pick because of his ability to be a game-breaker, his special teams acumen and the extra gear he has that some others don't. But this hasn't been a particularly superb season. 

Even with a senior quarterback in Steven Montez throwing him the ball, Shenault hasn't been nearly as explosive as some of the top receivers in the nation. And that's who we're supposed to be comparing him to, right?

The Texas native has 764 receiving yards this year, but he's only scored four times through the air and another two times on the ground. He's been a nonfactor in several big games. 

For every monster game like the one against USC, there's been a dud like the early-season win over Nebraska. Shenault needs to develop more consistency. The spotty play won't cut it in the pros.

It seems like an upper tier of about 6 guys may be emerging (Swift, Taylor, Etienne, Dobbins, Jeudy, Lamb in so specific order) with a candidate or two (e.g. Higgins, Ruggs) who could get into the top half of rd 1. Shenault’s lower/uneven production and continued durability issues could discount him, which makes him seem like a nice risk/reward guy for already good teams picking later in rd 1. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like an upper tier of about 6 guys may be emerging (Swift, Taylor, Etienne, Dobbins, Jeudy, Lamb in so specific order) with a candidate or two (e.g. Higgins, Ruggs) who could get into the top half of rd 1. Shenault’s lower/uneven production and continued durability issues could discount him, which makes him seem like a nice risk/reward guy for already good teams picking later in rd 1. 
Shenault should be in the same conversation as Lamb/Jeudy, maybe in the tier below them with Higgins. Ruggs is an avoid I think. 

Pro Football Focus ranks Colorado WR Laviska Shenault third among the wideouts in the 2020 NFL Draft class.

Shenault ranks 15th overall in the PFF ranks. "Shenault is still more of an offensive weapon than a wide receiver," writes Mike Renner, "but he's one deadly weapon, nonetheless." The 6-foot-2, 220-pound wideout has shown that when he's healthy he's an absolute matchup nightmare, but health has been an issue, and as Renner notes, much of his damage hasn't been downfield. We think that has a little something to do with the system and quarterback, but that's certainly something teams will be taking a look at come draft day(s).

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Feb 1, 2020, 12:56 PM ET

Love this guy. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best wr in the draft. 

Soph season he was a legit Heisman candidate until he was run into the ground. Cu was 5-0 until he was hurt. 0-7 afterward. Jr year he played through a core injury nearly all yr.

I think he will turn heads at the combine. His skills set is unique and he's the strongest wr I've ever seen play. At any level. I've seen him comped to Julio but honestly he is a much more violent player than Julio. I will be interested in him wherever he goes. He's been mocked to New Orleans a ton and if there is any hc who can maximize his skills set I think it's payton

Buffaloes said:
Love this guy. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best wr in the draft. 

Soph season he was a legit Heisman candidate until he was run into the ground. Cu was 5-0 until he was hurt. 0-7 afterward. Jr year he played through a core injury nearly all yr.

I think he will turn heads at the combine. His skills set is unique and he's the strongest wr I've ever seen play. At any level. I've seen him comped to Julio but honestly he is a much more violent player than Julio. I will be interested in him wherever he goes. He's been mocked to New Orleans a ton and if there is any hc who can maximize his skills set I think it's payton
I seen another comparison. Basically read the whole thing before judging on this. Do to his versatility and speed he Reminds me of Percy Harvin however he's a lot bigger and stronger and comes with less of the red flags Harvin had 

I seen another comparison. Basically read the whole thing before judging on this. Do to his versatility and speed he Reminds me of Percy Harvin however he's a lot bigger and stronger and comes with less of the red flags Harvin had 
Bigger, stronger Harvin, with less red flags is how I would have described Deebo Samuel a year ago, and Shenault seemingly has more explosiveness than Samuel, though likely not as much as Harvin had. 

Bigger, stronger Harvin, with less red flags is how I would have described Deebo Samuel a year ago, and Shenault seemingly has more explosiveness than Samuel, though likely not as much as Harvin had. 
I wouldn’t trade Samuel for Shenault.

This article is hilarious. The line about how he hasn’t had a ton of production “despite having a senior QB”...come on man. His senior QB was Steven Montez. And if that name doesn’t ring a bell, it’s because the guy threw for 2,800 yards, 17 TDs and 10 INTs. Compare that to Jeudy and Lamb’s QBs who threw for 4400 yards with 49 TDs   and 4100 yards with 35 TDs respectively. That’s night and day. 

Shenault has some durability red flags, but I think looking at his yearly stats and comparing them to the other guys is crazy.

I’d be perfectly fine with that. I think he’s good enough to draft there. The only argument against it IMO, is that the draft is so deep at WR that they could take a player at a shallower position and still get a pretty good WR option in the 2nd round.

I don’t know much about this guy. His highlights seem to put him at QB a lot and seems like a jack-of-all-trades. Is he more polished than say Cordarrelle Patterson was coming out?

I don’t know much about this guy. His highlights seem to put him at QB a lot and seems like a jack-of-all-trades. Is he more polished than say Cordarrelle Patterson was coming out?
Simple answer?  Yes.  But they are/were used similarly.  Shenault is an athlete that needs some polish but I have little doubt he'll get there.  He's so smooth and if he adds precision he'll be a beast.  

Also just saw an ESPN report that says Shenault won't need surgery and wants to participate in the combine.  Problem with that is the doctor has suggested rest, and he needs to train.  I would temper expectations about his combine performance.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28686020/colorado-wr-laviska-shenault-need-surgery-nagging-injury

Rotoworld take:

Colorado WR Laviska Shenault won't need surgery on his pubic bone inflammation and still plans to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine.

The diagnosis, osteitis pubis, is considered relatively good news as he'll be able to move forward throughout the rest of the 2020 NFL Draft process without much trouble. Teams were concerned that Shenault was going to need core surgery but that is no longer expected. The Colorado receiver has Round 1 potential if he can stay healthy and test well in a couple of weeks. Shenault averaged 125 total yards as a sophomore in 2018 and 84 total yards as an oft-injured junior last season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 12, 2020, 11:28 AM ET

If Packers draft this guy, I think he would be intriguing especially for Rodgers.  Shenault is ideal YAC player and can be valuable asset for Rodgers.  

Multiple outlets report that Colorado WR Laviska Shenault will undergo core muscle surgery on Tuesday.

Shenault (6'1/227) managed a forgettable 4.58-second 40-yard dash on Thursday. Looks like there was a reason for that. ESPN's Adam Schefter hears that the Colorado standout will be looking at a recovery timetable of 4-6 weeks, while NFL Network's Ian Rapoport passes along that NFL teams were informed of the upcoming surgery on Sunday morning. Shenault -- who ran into multiple health concerns at CU -- will not be taking part in his program's pro day later this spring but should be healthy for the start of NFL training camps.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 29, 2020, 4:45 PM ET

Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: Is Washington Really in on Tua Tagovailoa?

Excerpt:

Faller of the Week

Colorado wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. is a fun prospect as a yards-after-catch player who can dominate in the open field, but his poor testing at the combine and yet another injury raises red flags that he might not be able to stay healthy enough to ever make a lasting impact in the NFL. 

Shenault has a comparison to Sammy Watkins in my notes, which may be unfortunately very accurate given both players' ability but struggles with injuries.

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein pointed to route running as one of the areas in which Colorado WR Laviska Shenault had to improve.

Shenault (6'1/227) has some questions to answer regarding his durability, as he missed multiple games during his Colorado career due to injury. Add in the fact that he underwent core muscle surgery after the NFL Scouting Combine, and the former Buffalo's draft prospects are likely to take a hit. When it comes to his future in the NFL, while Shenault is certainly a big-play threat there's room for growth. "Despite his traits and talent, there is work to be done as route-runner and coordinators need to determine how best to use him," Zierlein wrote. "He's a high-end talent, but not a sure thing."

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2020, 5:54 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread