What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patrick Laird, RB MIA (1 Viewer)

Team Smokin'

Footballguy
I did a search and this guy is nowhere to be found and according to some experts he could be a Flex play from here on out in 2019?

Not a whole lot of love for a 3rd/4th string MIA RB who will share duties, but ya gotta love the Dolphins with FitzMagic and the clever play calling.

MIA has become last years CLE Browns in rooting value.

Will Laird have a spot moving forward in the Dolphins backfield? Most likely not. One never knows.

Will Laird have a spot moving forward in the Dolphins backfield? Most likely not. One never knows.
Without a doubt he will have a roll moving forward. Dolphins offense has become viable for fantasy in every area except RB (and Defense),  but their o-line ranks worst in the NFL at run blocking, so even McCaffery would struggle there. If nothing else, he will be involved as their pass-catching back, and perhaps even goal line back (like he did last week).

Miami schedule pretty friendly. Definitely worth a flier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ballage is done for the year and might be the worst back I have ever seen play. 

Laird could have value into 2020 if they don't draft a stud at RB.  Gaskin could get a shot too. 

They most certainly will draft a bigger RB in the upcoming draft. There's a lot to choose from. Maybe a guy like Moss.

Laird is a great guy. His Summer Reading Challenge was 100% him and the kind of thing I'd like to see in more Cal players.

I was really impressed with his junior year, when he came out of nowhere and just produced, produced and produced, as the only productive member of a really bad offense (191/1127/8, 5.9 ypc, 45/322/1). He seemed to make good decisions and have a good combination of elusiveness, power and vision. The Cal back I'd compare him to is Justin Forsett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxivMyoIew

His senior year was a disappointment. On a marginally improved offense, he fell to 4.3 ypc and did not seem to be the difference-maker he was in 2017. I'm not aware of any significant injury issues which would have accounted for the drop in performance. Probably it was mostly differences in the O-line.

I don' think he's likely to be a difference maker at the NFL level. But he's got a decent skill set and can take advantage of the opportunities he gets. 

In 12 team FFPC leagues I grabbed this guy in a few. This time of year some RB you never heard of comes out and makes a difference. He may crack one or two of my lineups.

Wrigley said:
He’s got playoff flex written all over him 
I could care less what his prospects are for 2020. I'm wondering if he can help me in weeks 15 and 16. Miami faces @NYG and CINCI respectively.

The offense is rolling right now and this team is showing some fight. 

I'm looking for matchup opportunities weeks 15 and 16 in my 2nd flex and could probably do worse than Laird. Thinking hard about dropping T. Coleman for him.

It’s unreal that I may be playing two MIA players in the playoffs 

god help me 
Right there with you...I'm strongly considering going all-in Wk 16 on the MIA/CIN game in a 2-QB league....Dalton/Fitz/Boyd/J.Ross/D.Parker/Gesicki all have interesting matchup potential and some of those are readily available on the waiver wire.

I ended up dropping my kicker for him in my two leagues with bye week and will re-evaluate the bottom of my roster next week. Definitely worth a stash.

Maybe if I take some shrooms and squint really hard, I’ll imagine I somehow found McCaffrey on the wire just in time for the playoffs!
And a little Zen to carry him along................... into the end zone. 

I watched that TV show with the Carrodine actor playing the Buddhist monk who had to defend himself when being attacked.

Patrick Laird rushed 15 times for 48 yards in the Dolphins' Week 14 loss to the Jets, adding four receptions for 38 additional yards.

It's not saying much, but it was the best performance by a Dolphins running back in months. If he's lucky, Laird will prove to be a replacement-level player, but he has so little competition for touches in the Dolphins' moribund backfield. Especially with his pass-catching chops, Laird will have some PPR FLEX appeal for the stretch run. The Giants are an approachable Week 15 matchup.

Eh...I'll take 11 PPR points in my second flex position against a supposed tough NYJ run D.

Odds are I'll be starting him again as well against the NYGs this week. He dominated touches vs. Gaskins, ran a ton of routes, and if Parker and Wilson are out with concussions he could be getting a lot of action against a lousy D.

Eh...I'll take 11 PPR points in my second flex position against a supposed tough NYJ run D.

Odds are I'll be starting him again as well against the NYGs this week. He dominated touches vs. Gaskins, ran a ton of routes, and if Parker and Wilson are out with concussions he could be getting a lot of action against a lousy D.
Solid points.   He going to the top of my WW order.   Hopefully I will not be using him though.   

12.6 in decimal scoring leagues - even better! Started him in my 16 team dyno

This guy is getting major high end RB2 love from our experts who is rolling him out? Have him in consideration for a flex spot maybe between wind and opponent he can produce it seems.

Rolling with him in my flex right now, over Lockett, McLaurin, and Beasley. If Baltimore blows up on Thursday (my opponent has Lamar and Ingram), then I might have to go with Lockett or McLaurin for higher upside...

Rolling with him in my flex right now, over Lockett, McLaurin, and Beasley. If Baltimore blows up on Thursday (my opponent has Lamar and Ingram), then I might have to go with Lockett or McLaurin for higher upside...
This is my thinking too.  Laird in my lineup right now but facing Lamar on TNF.  If Lamar goes off, I will probably switch  Laird for R. Mostert or D. Washington if Jacobs is out in OAK.

This is my thinking too.  Laird in my lineup right now but facing Lamar on TNF.  If Lamar goes off, I will probably switch  Laird for R. Mostert or D. Washington if Jacobs is out in OAK.
In standard, I’m thinking Laird will max out at about 50-70 yards and a TD. So, 5 points to 13 points expected, depending on whether he scored a TD—high floor flex in my mind.

Don't believe that I could pull that trigger...but it's not off-the-chart unreasonable to consider.

I am starting him in 2 playoff games as a flex. Do not be scared of Laird.

Poor Destitute man's playoff CMac....
Yeah his matchup is certainly better - read where the Jets gave up a combined 26 yards to Saquon and ADP the last 2 weeks

It's NFL 2019. Laird could easily outscore Ingram. He will most certainly get more opportunities.
Anyone "could" outscore anyone else. But Laird got a total of 19 touches last week, exactly one more than Ingram. He had 15 carries which happens to be the same number that Ingram has had the last three weeks. And Ingram is part of a great offense while Laird is part of one of the worst teams in the league.

He's a fill-in if you need one but don't bench a real starter for him. 

Anyone "could" outscore anyone else. But Laird got a total of 19 touches last week, exactly one more than Ingram. He had 15 carries which happens to be the same number that Ingram has had the last three weeks. And Ingram is part of a great offense while Laird is part of one of the worst teams in the league.

Agree. I'm plugging in Laird because I have no choice but my expectations are anywhere from 7 to 15 PPR points. Limited ceiling, but I don't think I'll get a goose egg. Fine.

Ingram could score 3 TDs. You don't bench Ingram for Laird.

If the WRs don't get healthy Laird could see even more work. 

This guy looks like he could either be solid or yield to Gaskin.  I grabbed both a few weeks ago nd hope that the opportunity doesn't change to much over the offseason. 

I'm starting Ingram and Laird over Jacobs, Hunt and Washington.

For me, it's Laird or D.Wash in my flex (waiting on more info re-Jacobs)

Agree. I'm plugging in Laird because I have no choice but my expectations are anywhere from 7 to 15 PPR points. Limited ceiling, but I don't think I'll get a goose egg. Fine.

Ingram could score 3 TDs. You don't bench Ingram for Laird.

He's in for me over Ronald Jones, Bo Scarborough and Penny (injured anyway). Luckily my WRs and QBs (superflex) don't suck.

If the WRs don't get healthy Laird could see even more work. 

This guy looks like he could either be solid or yield to Gaskin.  I grabbed both a few weeks ago nd hope that the opportunity doesn't change to much over the offseason. 
No signs of yielding last week. It doesn't look like the Laird train comes equipped with brakes. 

No signs of yielding last week. It doesn't look like the Laird train comes equipped with brakes. 
Yeah he looks like he's getting almost all the touches, and the matchups are good.  Dolphins are analytics based now, so there is even a chance they go real life zero RB next year too if Laird is passable. 

Compared to Ballage anyone is going to look amazing.... And the fact that they care so little about RB that they ran Ballage out there for so long should say some things maybe too... 

kittenmittens said:
And the fact that they care so little about RB that they ran Ballage out there for so long should say some things maybe too... 
That's an interesting take.   Funny too.  

Steeler said:
Looks like Laird is going to my bench for Mostert given that Lamar has 20 points in my league's scoring at halftime for my opponent.

Stat Correction said:
heckmanm said:
Yeesh, do I dare start him over Ingram?
Don't believe that I could pull that trigger...but it's not off-the-chart unreasonable to consider.

I am starting him in 2 playoff games as a flex. Do not be scared of Laird.

Poor Destitute man's playoff CMac...
Bullet dodged - left Ingram in for 22 points!

Users who are viewing this thread