What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christmas gift for Muslim family (1 Viewer)

Arizona Ron

Footballguy
My wife and I are friends with a family born and raised in Bangladesh now living here in the US.  My wife suggested getting them a gift for the holidays but I wasn't sure if it would come off as offensive considering they're Muslim.  I knew the husband before he got married, he was more casual Muslim use to drink and smoked weed but after getting married he's sober prays 5 times a day etc. 

Any thoughts here?  Extra points if you can suggest a gift. 

My opinion: If he's praying five times a day to Mecca, he's devout. Best to skip any potential ill feelings that a gift will bring. Research a Muslim holiday or day of remembrance and invite him to tea or coffee or buy him some or something like that. He's not Mormon, after all.

eta* Galileo and Servo below are probably a little more spot-on than this, depending on the sensitivity of the issue. Although Servo's dietary restrictions (of which I immediately think of Ramadan) might inherently curtail the food plate to where there's not even a plate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Id say its fine to do. The Muslim friends that I've had would not mind this at all. Always told me Merry Christmas. They believe in Jesus more than half the people in our country. I believe he has a place in their religion, just not son of God or the savior.

I'm trying to think if I would ever get offended if someone got me a gift for a holiday they believe in....or for any reason?

Here you go CN I got you a gift for Hitlers bday.

Maybe? Depends on the gift?

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned
I'm trying to think if I would ever get offended if someone got me a gift for a holiday they believe in....or for any reason?
This.  I can't imagine they would be offended.  They may think it is weird or be like WTF?  But who gets offended because someone else thought well enough of them to make a kind gesture?  I guess it could be perceived as inconsiderate/insensitive, but I doubt it.  If worried at all about it, I would take rockaction's advice above and find a Muslim holiday to extend your thoughtful gesture.

This thread has good suspension potential.
Unfortunately Joe has oversanitized this place so much that I feel I can't even tell jokes anymore.  

ETA - Why does your wife feel like these people need a gift?  Let them make the first move since the circumstance is unusual.  Friggin wimmen.  

I’m assuming you live in an area where you could assemble a meat and cheese tray that would be considerate of their dietary restrictions/limits.  

Put it with a Happy Holidays card and express your wishes for a happy and healthy 2020. Nobody says no to free food and good wishes. 

Would you get a Jewish or Atheist friend a gift?

disclaimer: I’m a hypocritical atheist who loves giving and receiving gifts at Christmas, has a Christmas tree and lights on my house.

Celebrating a holiday based on a faith in which I don’t prescribe to feels a little hypocritical to me.  The ideals of peace, love, joy, happiness and friendship are enough for me to celebrate the season.
I understand why you'd feel that way, but for most Christmas is secular, commercialized holiday.  It's not like you're paying homage to Jesus' birth by getting someone a gift or putting up some decorations.  

I understand why you'd feel that way, but for most Christmas is secular, commercialized holiday.  It's not like you're paying homage to Jesus' birth by getting someone a gift or putting up some decorations.  
Yeah, it’s not something I feel bad about for the reasons you mention.  I just have a self-awareness of the irony.

Get them a one year membership to the jelly of the month club.

It really is the gift that keeps on giving all year long. 
Not to hijack, but how many ounces of jelly is delivered each month?

(Don't bother with the 2oz. replies :lol: )

My wife and I are friends with a family born and raised in Bangladesh now living here in the US.  My wife suggested getting them a gift for the holidays but I wasn't sure if it would come off as offensive considering they're Muslim.  I knew the husband before he got married, he was more casual Muslim use to drink and smoked weed but after getting married he's sober prays 5 times a day etc. 

Any thoughts here?  Extra points if you can suggest a gift. 
Maybe just get them something nice they would use in the kitchen?  If they are pretty devout, they are likely doing a lot of cooking in the home.  A nice set of bowls or Le Creuset pot could always be useful

Hope your family is doing well this Christmas

But, "Jesus is the Reason for the Season"!!!!

Don't make it a holiday gift. Make it a best wishes for the new year gift with no mention of xmas or holidays. You can always get them a nice plant if you have no idea what they like. Many only eat halal meat. No pig products. No alcohol. That's why for anyone I don't know well it's a nice houseplant. 

If the gift is about you doing something for those you care about according to your beliefs and not expecting reciprocity, it shouldn’t  matter what creed the recipient follows.

Not to hijack, but how many ounces of jelly is delivered each month?

(Don't bother with the 2oz. replies :lol: )
It is 64ml which is roughly equivalent to 25-30 gallons I believe. My math could be off because I am  :banned:  

Who knows with those damn Canadians and their evil metric system..

comfortably numb said:
I'm leaning toward this so if they're offended, maybe they're not friends of our family.   If they brought food over to celebrate the end of Ramadan I wouldn't be offended. 

I'm leaning toward this so if they're offended, maybe they're not friends of our family.   If they brought food over to celebrate the end of Ramadan I wouldn't be offended. 
Chances are if they are like this they wouldn't be friends with non Muslims imo. Hard core groups stay with their own.

At this time of the year it's really the thought. My fam doesn't celebrate Xmas but exchange gifts with decor and all for the kids, and my grandparents who prayed 5 x a day and did all the fasts always thanked people for the goodies they received from their non Muslim neighbors and thought how nice.

They are in the US. You're just wishing them a happy new year. If that's offensive then I wouldn't see them as real friends. 

Eta: In the world we live in today with hatred to certain groups, this act of kindness would mean more than ever.

We received a box of chocolate covered fruit from a Muslim family neighbor that was observing Ramadan. It was unexpected, but definitely not offensive. I don’t think they would be offended to receive a similar type gift during one of our holidays. 

Users who are viewing this thread